phil robertson suspended from duck dynasty

Options
ILoveTheBrowns
ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
for answering a question on what he thought about homosexuality........your thoughts?

Replies

• Celtic_Ace
    Options
    BS. Nothing that he said was out of line. Hate/prejudice? Sounded more like preference. And the preference of the majority of the human race.
  • mdubs76
    mdubs76 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Although we may not agree with someone else's opinions, they are just that. I don't agree with what he said but I also don't think he should have been suspended for answering a question. That is how he personally feels. But I also see the other side. He is a public figure (whether he likes it or not) and he should watch his words closely. At that same time - he was exercising his first amendment rights.
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    While I hate is opinion I don't think he should of got suspended over it.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I guess rights aren't all equal anymore...

while it IS your right to have whatever lifestyle you want, what about peoples right to NOT agree with it..

I guess the populous supposed to be sheep and not think/form an opinion different from the masses now?

being in the public eye though, god forbid you have an independant thought...
  • Celtic_Ace
    Options
    Majority does rule by ratings in the case of media and voting in the case of government.

Muting personal preferences because of fear is pushing our society back thousands of years.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    my problem stands with why is one person/organizations view considered right or wrong......why is a gay persons view that homosexuality is right ok but his view that its wrong isnt ok.....just seems un-american to me
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options

while it IS your right to have whatever lifestyle you want, what about peoples right to NOT agree with it..

I guess the populous supposed to be sheep and not think/form an opinion different from the masses now?

You have the right to disagree, but a company also has the right to fire your for voicing those opinions. Free speech only applies to government regulation, not private companies. With certain exceptions (racism, gender discrimination, etc.), a company can pretty much fire you for voicing any opinion. If you worked for a cat food company and went on record as liking dogs better, you could be fired for that.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    why is this show even a subject to talk about?

why are these people's lives even worth nothing? seriously- dumbest EVER.

I can't believe this is even a thread. ... even worse why I bothered to comment.

< and no I've never watched it>

that being said- if he was asked- he had a right to voice his opinion- right or wrong.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    It's not like his views were a secret from A&E. They knew about his and his family's beliefs from day one. They've been outspoken about them for as long as I can remember. Do I agree with his views? Heck no. However, he does have the right to have them.

He had to have known this would cause a crapstorm, but that doesn't mean he's not entitled to state his opinion. It just means that those who disagree with his opinion have the right to choose not to watch the show.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
  • tasha_rena
    tasha_rena Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't think that the "majority" of the "human population" - or, as actually pertains to this, the American people - think that homosexuality is a "sin." He was absolutely free to express whatever opinions he might have on the matter. However, because he is a public figure from a television show, what he chooses to voice as his opinions reflect on the program and the network is clearly separating itself from those opinions. I think this is a good thing.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and beliefs. Whether you agree with Phil or not, this country has freedom of speech and religion. I support Phil 100%, even if I don't fully agree with him. And A&E was wrong for suspending him. I hope their network tanks.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    my problem stands with why is one person/organizations view considered right or wrong......why is a gay persons view that homosexuality is right ok but his view that its wrong isnt ok.....just seems un-american to me

Amen brotha.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options

You have the right to disagree, but a company also has the right to fire your for voicing those opinions. Free speech only applies to government regulation, not private companies. With certain exceptions (racism, gender discrimination, etc.), a company can pretty much fire you for voicing any opinion. If you worked for a cat food company and went on record as liking dogs better, you could be fired for that.

and that's the other side of the coin (which I agree with you on as well) its a very thin line.

don't poop where you eat.... they are signing his checks... keep da mouth shut :happy:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My thoughts:

I think because of the strong religious aspect of the show, there has been a large group of people who have wnated it gone for a long time and have been waiting for an opportunity to strike. I don't think what he said, in context, was that terrible. He gave his opinion based on his faith. He didn't call for killing them all or any other kind of violence or even not letting them work or ANYTHING. He simply said his faith teaches that it's a sin.

So people got they (flimsy) excuse to get rid of him.

I have never watched the show and have no interest in ever watching the show, so I don't really care what happens to the show. I just think it's an overreaction.

HOWEVER, this is NOT a free speech issue. A&E is not the government.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    He has the First Amendment rights to say it. But freedom of speech only protects you from government intervention. It doesn't mean you can say whatever you want and have no consequences. A&E isn't part of the government, so they are not infringing on his First Amendment rights by deciding to stop producing his show. Just like people who don't like A&E's decision have the right to protest it.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I don't know what he said, so I don't have an opinion whether it was right or wrong or indifferent. However, I'm sure he signed some sort of contract regarding public comments and public image. Yes, he can say whatever he wants, but if there is language in his contract that references public comments then I guess the parent company has the right to handle that within the guidelines of the contract.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    He was asked a question and he answered it truthfully. While I do not agree with this view, everyone knows that the Robertson family are devout Christians. I'm sure GQ asked that question on purpose, expecting such an answer. Gotta love the US media.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    HOWEVER, this is NOT a free speech issue. A&E is not the government.

This. Free speech is not the issue here. He can say what he likes but that doesn't mean that he is protected from consequences in is personal life or job.

I use my right of free speech around friends, family, etc... but I keep it out of work because it's not the place to voice certain opinion.
This discussion has been closed.