phil robertson suspended from duck dynasty

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Let's all be clear.

No one should die. lol

really? because I know a lot of really stupid people who just throw themselves off a bridge- because they are making life harder for the rest of us.

We are not all equal and special and worth while snow flakes. Seriously- we have warning labels for hot coffee- that YOU ORDERED.

our society is messed up- there should be open season on stupid.

I never said people weren't stupid. Enough stupid to go around for everyone.
    [/quote]
    but you did say no one should die...

I just politely disagreed with you and gave you a whole group of people who qualified.

and old people.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Freedom of speech and freedom of religion. He was suspended based on sharing his religious beliefs. He was honest about his beliefs and also went on to say he "loved all humanity" and several times stated it was " just his belief and opinion that it was a sin" If you are a christian and believe what the Bible says then it has several references to "homosexuality is a sin" "an abomination". I share a lot of the same opinions as he does but I also respect others decisions and treat everyone the same. It is not for me to judge others. I think that is what he was trying to say also. He believes it is a sin just like the other things he listed were sins according to the Bible. This country is going to crap. We have no freedoms any longer. He should not have been suspended for this. People need to stop getting so offended about every little thing. It is absolutely ridiculous that people have to walk on eggshells in a "free" country. I am a Christian and I believe what the Bible says, but guess what, I don't treat someone differently just because I don't agree with their lifestyle. That is not my place. I have friends that are gay, lesbian, atheist , Christian, Mormon, Buddhist, all races and religions. They all know my beliefs and respect my beliefs as I do theirs. This is the perfect example of "making a mountain out of a molehill" . If you are comfortable with your way of life and don't think you are somehow doing the wrong thing then why are you so worried about the possibility you " may' be judged. If your gonna choose it, be proud of it, other wise your heart really isn't in it as much as it should be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and not everyone is going to agree or share the same opinion. That is the beautiful thing about this country. We DONT have to think the way we are told to think. If we did this would be a communist country and NOBODY wants that right?!:noway:

My religion says I should sacrifice a goat every December. Doesn't mean I won't get canned if I do it in the parking lot of my company.

Actually he didn't do this in the parking lot of his company. He did this in a magazine interview NOT while on his job. But actually he OWNS the company and was worth millions before the Show Duck Dynasty so i really don't think A&E are doing him any favors by airing what goes on in the everyday life of a family that HE created and a multi- million $$$ company that HE built. He was ASKED a question about his views and he answered them honestly, which is more than anyone running this country ever does. I respect him for keeping it real and not just spewing the bs everyone "wants" to hear like the majority of society does today....... Why would you have to do it in the parking lot of your company... do you have no home?

Since you can't read between the lines....I am not a famous person. So me doing it in the parking lot, is about the same as him doing it in the public eye. Maybe I should have said, if I make a video and put it on YouTube, or anywhere that my employer found out. Either way, if they wanted to can me over that....they could. Whatever his opinion is doesn't matter. He voiced it, and he is free to do so, just as A&E is free to take that information and do with it as they please.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I take it Chick-fil-A isn't one of A&E's biggest advertisers? lol.

But I did like what happened with the Chick-fil-A controversy. Despite not agreeing with their politically incorrect stance, I still supported their right to express it.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Freedom of speech and freedom of religion. He was suspended based on sharing his religious beliefs. He was honest about his beliefs and also went on to say he "loved all humanity" and several times stated it was " just his belief and opinion that it was a sin" If you are a christian and believe what the Bible says then it has several references to "homosexuality is a sin" "an abomination". I share a lot of the same opinions as he does but I also respect others decisions and treat everyone the same. It is not for me to judge others. I think that is what he was trying to say also. He believes it is a sin just like the other things he listed were sins according to the Bible. This country is going to crap. We have no freedoms any longer. He should not have been suspended for this. People need to stop getting so offended about every little thing. It is absolutely ridiculous that people have to walk on eggshells in a "free" country. I am a Christian and I believe what the Bible says, but guess what, I don't treat someone differently just because I don't agree with their lifestyle. That is not my place. I have friends that are gay, lesbian, atheist , Christian, Mormon, Buddhist, all races and religions. They all know my beliefs and respect my beliefs as I do theirs. This is the perfect example of "making a mountain out of a molehill" . If you are comfortable with your way of life and don't think you are somehow doing the wrong thing then why are you so worried about the possibility you " may' be judged. If your gonna choose it, be proud of it, other wise your heart really isn't in it as much as it should be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and not everyone is going to agree or share the same opinion. That is the beautiful thing about this country. We DONT have to think the way we are told to think. If we did this would be a communist country and NOBODY wants that right?!:noway:

My religion says I should sacrifice a goat every December. Doesn't mean I won't get canned if I do it in the parking lot of my company.

Exactly! lolz

i hate cats but your profile pic makes me laugh
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    if you cant say anything nice dont say anything at all

better to have everyone believe you are a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt

keep your mouth shut

PS-Did anyone expect anything different?
    Really?? So your saying everyone should keep their mouths shut and not speak their beliefs? Lol, not sure what to make of this post.

There's a difference between speaking your beliefs and making a public interview while you are representing your employer (and as a member of the show, which is the reason he is in the public eye, he does represent A&E to some extent). If you want to stay employed, you can't make inflammatory comments in such a visible context.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

Yes, he can have an opinion, but in this case, his opinion was bigoted. Good riddance.

Spoken like a true liberal bigot.

Do tell how my post was bigoted. This should be good.

big-ot: a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)

In other words, you're unfairly condemning someone for a religious belief. Sounds like the pot is calling the kettle black.
  • PSULions2008
    Options

But I did like what happened with the Chick-fil-A controversy. Despite not agreeing with their politically incorrect stance, I still supported their right to express it.

And I bet their sales actually went up, not down, immediately after the outcry. I remember seeing lines 4 blocks long on nation support chick-fil-a day.
  • nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    While I hate is opinion I don't think he should of got suspended over it.

AGREE 100%
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Yes, he can have an opinion, but in this case, his opinion was bigoted. Good riddance.

big-ot: a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)

In other words, you're unfairly condemning someone for a religious belief. Sounds like the pot is calling the kettle black.
    This-To be fair, this is why I did not respond to your earlier post.
  • Hornsby
    Options

By definition, your intolerance of his opinion/viewpoint makes you a bigot as well.

I don't care about the definition. Being against bigotry doesn't mean you're a bigot. What a dumb statement.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I am not reading all 9 pages of posts! So if I repeated something, oh well!

Phil Robertson is a great man in my opinion. Very inspiring. He is a Christian. DUH! The christian bible has a view point on homosexuality. He is just sticking up to it. No surprises there! The fact that he answered the question the way he did should be no surprise to anyone. In fact, some may set he was set up, because there are some people that have a predijice towards christianity.

Hats off to Phil for sticking with his beliefs.

Now, does A&E have a right to suspend him? Yup! This is a free market society in America. I believe in free enterprise.

Because of free market and enterprise, I as a consumer have the right to continue toi watch the show or not watch the show because.... I want to or don't want to for whatever reason I feel. I watch the show, watch their advertisements, buy their Chia Pets or Bearded blankets, or D&D bandaids, and they make money. I decide to no longer be a fan of the show, then I can decide to take my money elsewhere. That is my exercise and right!

So? I considered myself a huge fan of D&D. Now A&E made their decision? I can chose to react however I choose. And many other people may decide to continue to watch the show, start watching the show, or stop watching the show. Free market works both ways. So we will see if A&E made the right decision or not by how America and it's fans react. You can say a whole bunch but if you continue to watch the show, then you basically by default agree with A&E's decision and throw Phil Robertson under the bus. Or maybe you don't like what Phil Robertson said and you support what A&E did. Free market!

Now, I know many Christians who watch the show or became really big fans of the show. I would love to see them all put their money where their mouth is and see if all the christian fan base continue to watch the show and buy the products or not. It's a great show. It sucks that politics and predijuices get in the way.

You may say that christians are predijuice against homosexuals. But there are people in general that are predijuice against christianity as well. it works both ways baby. Now is the time for Christians to stand up for what they really believe in and show corporate pansies what they are made of.

Well said! I don't think anyone should stop buying the products because A&E don't make the products , The Robertson family does and that would hurt them. I do however think they should stop watching the show. In fact I think the Robertson family should pull out of the show if they don't want the man that made this all possible. Duck Dynasty was the # 1 most viewed show this year... pulling out or people boycotting A&E would hit them where it hurt. I love Duck Dynasty but I will not watch another episode nor anything else that comes on A&E. The majority of my friends and family have made the same commitment. I am a Christian and I stand by my fellow Christians!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I think his statement was ignorant and dumb as f***. But I support his right to express his opinion. I grew up in Georgia, so this crap is nothing new to me, although I do not support it whatsoever. The suspension was a bit harsh.
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Violation of his first amendment rights. I hope the rest of the family quits A&E and takes their show elsewhere .
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    If I were Phil, I would hire the ACLU and file a lawsuit of being unjustly fired from my job for my religious beliefs.....
  • arghbowl
    Options

And I bet their sales actually went up, not down, immediately after the outcry. I remember seeing lines 4 blocks long on nation support chick-fil-a day.

I remember hearing on the news their sales skyrocketed. Some people will actually support a corporation that stands up for their beliefs. Imagine that. :huh:
  • Jgal8123
    Jgal8123 Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options

Exactly! lolz

i hate cats but your profile pic makes me laugh

:wink:
  • arghbowl
    Options

By definition, your intolerance of his opinion/viewpoint makes you a bigot as well.

I don't care about the definition. Being against bigotry doesn't mean you're a bigot. What a dumb statement.

Reread your original statement. I helped you with it. One small nuance can "bigot" your entire "dumb statement"
  • PSULions2008
    Options

Ah I forgot, you liberals just take any term, change its meaning, then force everyone else to conform to what you want it to mean. Silly me.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Please show me where i condemned him....lol. I'm not condemning him for any religious beliefs. He can believe what he wants, but if he makes it public, and it discriminates against an entire group of people, and I disagree with him, that's not being a bigot.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    if you cant say anything nice dont say anything at all

better to have everyone believe you are a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt

keep your mouth shut

Are you saying that Phil is a fool for stating and standing by his religious beliefs? He was asked a question. Should he have lied? Should he hide who he is so he doesn't risk offending anyone?
    I don't think so.

i think in most cases its best to keep your personal opinions to yourself. What was the question asked out of curiosity?

The question was "What in your mind is sinful"
    Quoted from GQ :
    What, in your mind, is sinful?

“Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” he says. Then he paraphrases Corinthians: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

Read More http://www.gq.com/entertainment/television/201401/duck-dynasty-phil-robertson#ixzz2nwDkNhCZ
This discussion has been closed.