WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER

Options

Replies

• jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I think Absorbine works really good on humans and on horses. I had forgotten all about it, but plan to start using it again myself. The stinging could be due to open pores on your leg from shaving. I hadn't thought about that. Some of the ice/heat things they sell sting too when you first put them on.

This week is our week not to have any money for food. I hope that what we have lasts until pay day this Friday. It will be close and not a lot of choice about what we eat.

Have a great evening and a happy Monday,

Jeannie
  • abundanceismine
    Options
    Good morning, Ladies!

It is a cold, wet, wind swept morning here in Southeastern MA! Good day for soup!

It will take me a while to get know know your names and keep who is doing what straight, so bear with me. Yesterday I had a good day, right on target but I did post on the fitness thread about pain I am having which several suggested was my hip flexor (?) and provided some strecthes. I just read here about the ABJ and I think I will give that a try also!

I hit the gym early and got 45 of walking in. Since I am just starting out, and have that pain, I am going to start slow but I do plan on walking 5x a week. I have a gym here at work for free that has all the usual equipment, but it is small so it gets crowded during the day. I got here at 5:15 this morning and was able to grab a treadmill and then was still at my desk by 6:30.

More to come later~
  • smelliott
    Options
    Hi everyone,

It's a bit grey and overcast here in France. We had about 6 inches of snow overnight and the mountains look beautiful. I have been doing well this past week and have lost a pound which takes me back to where I was before I went off the rails :smile: we have been busy with DIY and that has helped me to refrain from nibbling :smile: In McDonalds to use their wifi but only having a coffee.
    Be back when I can...

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

It is two years ago today that I joined MFP. I am not sure why it says I joined in January 2009. January was when I bought my new scale and adjusted my starting weight to match the new scale. January 2009 was also when I started "eating differently" and trying to loose weight. From November through December I just tracked what I was eating to show my primary on my doctor appointment on 12/31/2009.

I don't think I'd have been successful if not for MFP.

Happy Monday!

Jeannie
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

It is two years ago today that I joined MFP. I am not sure why it says I joined in January 2009. January was when I bought my new scale and adjusted my starting weight to match the new scale. January 2009 was also when I started "eating differently" and trying to loose weight. From November through December I just tracked what I was eating to show my primary on my doctor appointment on 12/31/2009.

I don't think I'd have been successful if not for MFP.

Happy Monday!

Jeannie

Happy anniversary!
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Good Monday morning, everyone!:heart:

Welcome to our new ladies!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: You will find lots of support here!

It is sunny!:happy: Makes me feel SO much better. I will be getting outside after a bit. I've been taking my grandson for a walk every day--no matter the weather. He loves it, and he has been sleeping so much better at night, even if he falls asleep in the stroller.

He has been started on a little bit of solid food because of how fast he is growing--mommy just couldn't keep up with him!:wink: He's doing well at it but is now even more interested at what we are putting into our mouths!

Mary--I am going to be trying those muffins today. They sound really good and I want to have some healthy alternatives in. My DD, for some reason, has been baking cakes and brownies and the temptation is too much!:grumble: I do find, though, that if I wrap them in waxed paper so they cannot be seen, that I am less likely to want to eat them!:laugh: Out of sight, out of mind!

Well, I need to get my day started. Have a wonderful one!:heart:
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello Ladies,

It's a great day to be alive! The sun is shining here and it's supposed to get up in the 70's this week. It is probably what we call Indian Summer. I love it! I am slowly improving. I have added floor physical therapy assignments and free weights back. Maybe (crossing my fingers) I can go back to the gym tomorrow.

Sally -Good morning- it sounds like you hit the floor running! Good for you and Good Luck:flowerforyou:

Denice- I hope you are having a wonderful time...6 inches of snow..I love the snow!:heart:

Jeannie- Happy successful anniversary!:flowerforyou:
    Hi Robin- you survived your wonderful weekend!:smile:

Kathy- Enjoy that grandbaby...the time goes by fast!:love:

I read a quote this am that I would like to share: Nothing splendid has ever been acheived except by those who dared believe that something inside them was superior to circumstance.

Have a good MONDAY!
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hello all - not the greatest weekend ever for me but life goes on. I was over my calories by 280. :grumble: I knew better but did it to myself anyway. If I had done some specific exercise, I wouldn't have been over but I didn't do it. I did some gardening but that was it. Good news is - I won't be doing that again soon - either going over or not exercising. I'm feeling to good to go back to the fluffier me!

I found out, by not taking my liquid glucosamine for the past week, that my knees don't need it anymore. :bigsmile: Yea, the elliptical and leg machines have strengthened the ligaments and tendons around my knees so that they don't need it anymore. The down side is that I found I still need it for my wrists and fingers. Soooo, back on the gack juice as I call it. :sick: That stuff tastes TERRIBLE but it works.

I am going to start keeping an open document window so I can reply as I read.

I do recall that Robin got the scale moving again - big woo hoo for you!

And Amanda is still waiting for her cupcakes. Good news they are still baking! I get to be a new gramma in March myself. They will find out later this week what flavor they are getting. It's so wonderful you are down 100 pounds for your surgery; that will have to make the recovery so much better and quicker for you.

And I recall someone asking if many of us are retired and therefore have more time to exercise - I think it was Lynn. Yes, I'm retired and go to the gym 5 days a week, unless I have some obligation that keeps me from it. That doesn't happen very often. I sold my business a couple years ago but find it's really harder for me to get in structured exercise that it was before I retired. When I had a paying job (we ALL work), I would stop at 5 and either go to a class in the little town I worked in, or if there was no class that day I would take a walk with the women in the class and do a good 4 miles or so and then go back to work. (My business was all computer work and no walk in customers, so I could make my own hours.) Now I have to carve out a specific time to go 7 miles to town and go to the gym. It is aggravating sometimes to interrupt something I'm doing around home to go to the gym but I do it anyway. It's really a pain now because they are closed from 12 to 3, which is when I like to go. The Y may well be closing for good, we should find out this month. Then it will be a lot longer drive to a gym but I'll do it. The rewards are too great not to. Maybe someday I can get in the groove of getting as good a workout at home but I don't see it in the near future.

Speaking of projects, I need to finish digging out a small flower bed and get some snapdragons planted before I hit the gym today. I almost finished it last night but the fire ants drove me away. :angry: :explode: As anyone acquainted with fire ants knows, they are very small and are 90% mouth! :noway: The sneaky little devils will sneak under your clothes, all get in position in all the tender spots and it seems they all co-ordinate and bite at the same time. :noway: I was so tempted to peal clothes and start swatting on my way to the house. Those little buggers have a mean bite! I grabbed the vinegar and headed for the shower. It still smells like a salad bowl in there but vinegar gets rid of the sting and keeps the bites from forming a pustule. I can take most bug bites and never even scratch but not a whole HERD of fire ants.

Hope I didn't make you all start scratching! I'm off down the driveway with my water to get it done. I spread ant killer last night after my vinegar shower. Hopefully they are dead or gone by now.

Faye
  • rjadams
    Options
    Bodibeforeandafter.jpg

Just wanted to post a before and after pix. :bigsmile:
  • rjadams
    Options
    I don't want anyone to think I am leaving Kiera out of the lime light.

happypups.jpg
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Good Monday to all. Welcome newbies!

Glad to report in that I've had four stellar days in a row!:happy: Also just got back from a 45 minute water aerobics class! I just started on Friday and will try to go two times/week. It feels really good.

Amanda - how does one NOT comment on a 102 pound loss. Maybe as someone said, perhaps they were afraid to be insulting if they if they made too much about the "new" you. I know, as I've had that happen to me, and it can almost be worse than if they say nothing at all.

I had a good weigh-in this morning...my lowest since August 8, so things are looking up. Hope everyone has a good day!!
  • lyn54
    Options
    Wow! Robin- your dogs are pretty!

Michelle, you asked about 2 items on my diary. This may be a long post. Here goes....

About 8 years ago, I developed asthmas and copd so bad I was having pnuemonia about once a month. I had used inhalers, breathing machines, steroids, etc...
    I heard about a homopathic (don't know if this is spelled correctly) doctor in another state who had helped people by nutrition and raw foods and juices. The concept is based on having a good ph balance. I did this for 7 years. I drank raw juices, ate veggies and no meat for 3 years. I then added fish. (wild-caught only)
    After a time I added back organically grown beef once a month and organically grown poultry about once a month.
    To this there were many vitamins, minerals, barley greens, cleanses, etc.
    I no longer have asthma or copd.
    I had a childhood sickness(plus stress in my childhood) that left many things in my body that I battled all my life and leaves me prone to having lots of ailments. I hate it. I am not a hypochondriac. I don't like being down...I feel like a horse chomping at the bit until I can get back out into life.
    Last year I developed shingles. One of the worst cases any of my medical or natural doctors had ever seen. It started on my face, on the left side, and went around my eye, my ear down on my neck, my breast, my arm , my stomach, my hip, my thigh. THEN...it went over to the right breast, right arm, right leg. After that, they were in my throat and some of my organs. I almost died. Thus the huge amount of steroids. Thus the weight I have gained. They sent me to Vandy. They didn't see me at my worst and didn't really want to pursue the issue...very unusual. My medical doctor (who is my friend) was very puzzled. 6 days after I left the hospital, I was back in for gall bladdar surgery. A huge stone was imbedded at the opening and had almost completely blocked off the gall bladdar. I had colonoscopies, mri's, you name it I had it. I didn't attend church for 6 mos. After Christmas last year I was getting out of the shower and there was blood pouring out of my breasts. I had a breast pap test, mammograms, etc...they couldn't ever explain that either. I am a anomally.

The steroids messed with my adrenals, pancreas...yada, yada. It effects your muscles, bones...on and on.

I lost about half my hair in the middle of all this. I had to add protein back to my diet. You will see, if you look at my diary, that i try to eat a balance, with lots of veggies or veggie juice. You can drink a lot more volumn than you eat.

The Womens Renewal is a product that has fruits and Veggies, Whole food mulitvitamins, soluable and insoluble fiber, Omega Oils, Gtf chromium, 3 billion probiotics. It is made by Metacore. I buy it from a Lady I know. I'm not sure where you can get it. I haven't Googled it to see. This keeps my ph levels in the normal range. All greens will do that- barley etc..

The Zija is made from a plant called Moringa. It 100% natural. All natural vitamins and minerals. You have to get that through a dealer...I think. I don't sell either of these.
    I have to take liquid vitamins and minerals to absorb them.

Barbiecat has a very interesting vitamin regimen in her diary. I am sure it is a good product. The evidence speaks for itself:smile:

I started to physical therapy early in the summer. I started when I became well enough to do so on a consistant basis. I have had a couple of setbacks. I have one now but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

This site has helped me to be consistant in counting calories and staying with a program that is manageable.
    The struggles, happy events, and all of things that make us human, are encouraging when you see how other people deal with life.

I hope this answers your questions. I felt if I was going to explain about them and why I take them. It neede the full story. I haven't told much about this on here. I don't want to sound like I am whining. I am not. I do need encouragement. That is why I am on here. I feel we all have that in common. :smile:

I am thankful and happy to be alive. I feel very blessed. Our struggles in life make us appreciate the good times. :flowerforyou: There are always good things to learn and see you just have to look for them.

My story is no worse and not as bad as others. I will say I wouln't wish it on my enemies, ever!

Have a wonderful day to all!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Mary--your muffins are a hit! Everyone loves them! Thank you for the recipe.
  • marlouise
    Options
    Hello everyone, hope all is well here. Another good day at the gym, my arms and shoulders have been reminding me of the previous day's session. All is good though. Sticking with my menu plan and keeping up to it with a little work. Crossing my fingers that it will be a success.

Hope to catch all of you tomorrow.

Marilyn
  • vikkij12
    Options
    Hello all,

I have been reading posts but not posting myself for a couple of weeks, not feeling 100% committed so today is another day.

don't know what has been the matter, so made a new menu plan and enjoying it.

Will try to post more, but I really encourage everyone, reading others posts makes me aware that the world is not all about me!!

Vikki
  • abundanceismine
    Options
    Hi!

Wow, did I have a bad day yesterday!! Well, honestly it was a 7 hour period from noon- 7pm during which I over eat by about 1100 cals. I did exercise and eat on plan through the morning but then I forgot I was having lunch with a friend at work and had already eaten my nice, reasonable sandwich at my desk at 11. At 12:15 she comes over and when I got to the cafe that deli special smelled SO good! So I splurged,m going over cal by 250 for the day but promised myself that I would skip dinner. So not planning anything, by 6:30 I was hungry again so had pbutter and jelly w/ choc milk. Ugh!

But today is a new day! I woke up at just before 4 am with TOM so that may explain yesterday's binge. By accident I also woke my grandson so I pulled him back into my bed with me and cuddled until he feel back asleep. Sweet, I love sleeping with babies!! But what it means is that I can't leave for the gym (which I had planned to get there between 5-5:15 during the week) since the babe is in my bed rather than the crib so I have to wait until a reasonable time to wake my daughter. My legs really hurt anyway (hip flexor, sciatic) so I think I will just do some stretches and maybe schedule a dr appt.

So question for you: My boyfriend (seems strange to call him that at our age!) is also very large and won't touch veggies, etc. He likes pasta and cheese sauce, sausage and meats, etc. We have dinner Tues and Thurs, usually once here and once out, and I have no idea what to make that we will both like.
  • lyn54
    Options
    Sally,
    Does he like tacos. You can get some lean Laura's Beef. Add finely chopped Romaine lettuce, Tomatos, Cheese, Onions. Then for him get regular cheese and sour cream but you eat the lite or low fat versions and Measure, measure, measure for yourself. Add reg chips for his and you get the baked organic blue or yellow corn chips. You can also get fat free refried beans...etc...

I do this a lot. I also fix versions of sphagetti for me and a version for my family ...You can freeze the leftovers that you fix for yourself and/or take them to work.
    If you look in the organic and lowfat sections, there are several selectiions to choose from. It's just getting into a different groove and planning ahead.

Eat an apple Before you eat your meal. Or fix a small salad before what you cook and eat that first. Or a bag of baby carrots with Marzetti lite rance veggie dip.(85 cals.)

Hope this helps. Just hang in there and keep thinking about it. Eventually, it becomes a habit.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • lyn54
    Options
    Sally..ps..they have organic taco sauce or all of it is low fat. I just try to get the most out of the food.
  • bloser413708
    Options
    Hi Everyone
    I'm new to MFP and a working wife and mother over 50. I'm looking for diet and fitness friends who I support me and I inturn can support them.
    My goals for November is to lose 10 pounds and do 30 minutes of exercise 5 times a week. I

've lost 35 pounds already. My long term goal is to lose an 80 additional pounds. I'm on a low carb diet under a baractric doctor's care. I'm not having the surgery.

Hope to hear from some one. Thanks for reading
  • rjadams
    Options
    wow, we have really slowed down on the posting. Not such a gabby bunch of ladies anymore. Where is everyone?

Welcome Kath. congrats on the weight loss.
    Sally, Have you thought about sneaking vegies in and eventually maybe he will learn to like them?

TOM has the scale up and I am trying to ignore it. I guess I will just exercise and work thru it.

I am not going to keep this profile pix up too long. I love my Bodi pup but DH took this the other morning and I hadn't washed my face or brushed my hair and I think I look dreadful. But you all neede to see how he has grown.

Have a great day!