If it is simply calories in and out...

Options

Replies

• EmSainz
    Options

No one is arguing that TEF is meaningless. The argument is that it's a component of the "calories out" for *everyone*. It's important as part of the bigger picture, but not so much in isolation.

So what is it that you're arguing again?
    You're the one who said the difference is less than 37 calories between the 2 examples. So I have the same question for you, "What are you arguing?"

Because it was stated that the difference between the two examples was 300 calories. PP was arguing that upping protein will significantly increase thermogenic burn. 37 calories a day is not significant. Hence our confusion as to why he thinks 37 calories is a significant amount. Unless he is arguing that one eat no protein at all vs either one of those examples is about 300 calories...?

My head hurts trying to figure out his point is.

The original discussion on the other topic was that the TEF of protein is insignificant. The person I was discussing this issue with gave an example of a standard diet. He calculated about 200 calories thermogenic effect with a standard diet and said it's insignificant. I claimed the TEF of protein is not insignificant. Both example listed above are my examples. I consume a bit more protein than most people. I consume 1g per pound of total body weight. Doing this I get a thermogenic effect of roughly 300 calories. I then listed an example if I cut down fat a bit down to 20%(this was my second example). That's where the excess 37 calories came from. Yes 37 calories is pretty insignificant.

So we're really comparing 200 calories TEF of a generic body building diet, and my higher protein diet which has a TEF of 300 calories. 300 calories is a cardio session for many people.

The point is, TEF of food are not insignificant.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Do two people falling from the top of the same building have exactly the same results?
    Nope, because gravity is just a myth.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    So we're really comparing 200 calories TEF of a generic body building diet, and my higher protein diet which has a TEF of 300 calories. 300 calories is a cardio session for many people.

The point is, TEF of food are not insignificant.
    200 calories is a cardio session for many people, too.

The difference between 300 and 200 is 100. Because math.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    In...
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    If gravity is true then why don't clouds fall?

total zen moment
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Why do we not all gain/lose weight at the same rate?

so you are saying a 200 pound male and a 160 pound female will require the same amount of calories in and out…?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    NO I DONT THINK IT IS AS SIMPLE AS CALORIES IN AND OUT. GENETICS HAVE A HUGE PART TO PLAY IN A LOT OF PHYSICAL FACTORS AND ANYONE WHO SAYS ANY DIFFERENT IS A FOOL AND A BOLD FACED LIAR!

JUST BECAUSE YOU YELL THIS/TYPE IN CAPS AND SAY THAT IT ISN'T TRUE DOESN'T MAKE YOU RIGHT!

Seriously. Is this how you hold a discussion? People that disagree with you are automatically fools and liars?
  • HexyleneGlycol
    Options
    NO I DONT THINK IT IS AS SIMPLE AS CALORIES IN AND OUT. GENETICS HAVE A HUGE PART TO PLAY IN A LOT OF PHYSICAL FACTORS AND ANYONE WHO SAYS ANY DIFFERENT IS A FOOL AND A BOLD FACED LIAR!

JUST BECAUSE YOU YELL THIS/TYPE IN CAPS AND SAY THAT IT ISN'T TRUE DOESN'T MAKE YOU RIGHT!

Seriously. Is this how you hold a discussion? People that disagree with you are automatically fools and liars?

yes....
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

yes....

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif
  • HexyleneGlycol
    Options

lol...I actually didn't mean to type out that whole thing in caps...I realized half way through and there was no turning back.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

yes....

ummm can you say stalker??? You think i don't know who you are? Seriously, get a life and stop obsessing over my posts!!

This is a public forum. She can post where she likes after who she likes. People will post in the same topic because it tends to pop up on the side under recent forum topics.

And you might want to review the Community Guidelines :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    If every pork chop was perfect. . .
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

yes....

ummm can you say stalker??? You think i don't know who you are? Seriously, get a life and stop obsessing over my posts!!

I couldn't decide between

tin-foil-hat.jpg
    and
    conspiracy131118_intro_560.jpg
    so I went with both.
  • HexyleneGlycol
    Options
    Umm technically, legally, she cant. So mind your own business!!!
  • PikaKnight
    Options

:huh:

Ummm...maybe you should take the drama off the forums.
  • randomtai
    Options

yes....

I couldn't decide between

tin-foil-hat.jpg
    and
    conspiracy131118_intro_560.jpg
    so I went with both.

:laugh: :laugh: Good choice!
  • randomtai
    Options

QFT!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I see you are in Canada. You may want to familiarize yourself with the Criminal Harassment section of the Criminal Code. I assure you it does not cover posting in the same threads on an open forum.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

umm maybe you should upload some real photos of yourself to validate any pointless opinions you have.

I can't decide if you 1) are really new at how this internet forum thing works, or 2) know *exactly* how it works and getting the response you want.

Honestly, I'm good either way, because they're both entertaining...

...at least until a mod sends you a friendly PM explaining the various ways you ran afoul of the CG (all hail).
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Let's get back on topic please,

Best regards,
    ED
    MyFitnessPal Moderator