Things People Say When You've Lost Weight

Options

Replies

• 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    'Stop dieting your getting too skinny' or
    'can't you afford to eat anymore?'

I want to tell these people that I'm eating 2500 calories and bulking right now... but I don't because I people that give snidy comments like that don't deserve an honest answer that tells them about my personal life.

Some people are just not capable of just being happy for others. You know your awesome, they probably know your awesome, that's all that you should care about!
  • clarebailey355
    clarebailey355 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've had the "You're wasting away!" a few times recently; I'm 5' 2" and 130 pounds and working on burning fat and building muscle and d'you know what? They ain't seen nothing yet.
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    It's weird, but I get uncomfortable when people ask me to help them lose weight...I'm no trainer/nutritionist, I'm still trying to figure out what works for me!
  • CHRISTTY33
    Options
    Really what it is, is people don't really know what to say, it seems to be awkward for some people to be honest and simple. Don't take it to heart they see you still have weight to lose just don't know how to be supportive and honest at the same time.
  • lharri0209
    lharri0209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My favorite quote is: "What are you doing to lose weight?"

--As if healthy eating and exercise isn't obvious. Yet, they so look stunned by my response.

Another response that I have gotten from a friend was: "I am so jealous of your weight loss. I want to lose weight too. "

--That is really annoying to me because I don't lose weight for anyone else...aside from my children. I do it for my health and instead of being jealous, how about joining me. Don't ask me for my advice just to be eating chips and a cupcake 2 min later. :noway:

I guess that they mean well though. Rant over. lol
  • Andibenni
    Andibenni Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    My mum said to me last week "You've lost weight .." ( I was waiting for the compliment but got)... you'd look better if you lost another 3 or 4 stones. Good job she's my mother! :laugh:
  • ND_Figgzie
    ND_Figgzie Posts: 1,480
    Options
    Open mouth, insert foot. sometimes its tough to take the high road!
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My sister told me that she had "no time for all those hoity-toity rich snobby women who spend their lives trying to fit into size 0 clothes". Firstly, I just started working after several years of unemployment so am in no way rich. I can't even afford a gym right now with a job. Secondly, I am not a snob, and finally I am only 5'2" tall. Just because the fashion industry created a stupid sizing system, doesn't mean I am a b****
  • mattbell007
    mattbell007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    In the course of me losing weight, I've received some variation of most of the comments mentioned in this thread... plus one I didn't see. When my brother-in-law saw me for the first time in more than a year, he said "You look like an Auschwitz survivor!"

I take all the comments as complements. Of course, I'm very comfortable with myself, very emotionally stable, and very hard to offend. My self-worth doesn't come from other people or what they think of me (with the possible exception of my wife).

When people tell me it's like I've lost a whole other person, I agree with them, because 115 lbs could easily be another person. When they tell me I'm half the man I used to be, I agree. (That's not really true, but it's close enough to laugh about.)

I've had people tell me I don't need to lose any more weight, even when I was still just barely crossing the line from Obese to Overweight. I don't feel bad about comments like that because, what they are really saying is that I've made a lot of progress, and that is true. If I reply at all, I simply say something akin to "I'm keeping track of that." (Or "I'm getting close," which now happens to be true.)

The most uncomfortable comments I've gotten was from my manager at work about not needing to lose any more weight and that I wasn't the same person she hired. My response was simply that I am keeping close track of where I am and have no intention of becoming underweight, and that I hoped me being different from who they hired was a good thing. (It helps that my job performance is excellent.)

If people ask me how I did it, I tell them... diet and exercise; calories in and calories out. If they want to know more, I'm happy to bore them to tears with details. I'm proud of what I've done, and happy to share.

I throw all comments I get from people about my weight loss into three categories:

1. Comments that are true, or mostly true. I agree with the other person on all of these, even if it means agreeing that I was the size of an ocean liner before I started losing weight. If it's true, it's true, even if it is not complimentary to me. If anything, it just emphasizes how much progress I'm making. If I get a comment about myself that is true but I don't like it, I consider the ways I can change myself or my behavior to be a better person. Getting mad or upset about a statement of the truth is about as productive as getting mad at gravity.

2. Comments that are not true. These come from people who are either ignorant (uninformed) or mean. I surround myself with people who are generally nice, so I go about my life assuming people aren't trying to be mean to me. The most ignorant thing people say is that I don't need to lose any more weight. If it's not true, it's not true. Untrue comments don't really apply to me so I make no emotional investment in them, and don't get mad about them. If they insist it's the truth and I evaluate the comment otherwise, I say so. I know where I am.

3. Comments with some truth and some exaggeration that are meant to be funny. I laugh along with the person and never take offense. (I laughed at the comment about me being an Auschwitz survivor. I'm clearly not anywhere close to that, but relative to where I was, it might seem that way on the surface.)

People who let others' comments about their appearance make them mad or upset really need to do a lot more emotional work on themselves. They are seriously at risk of letting other people be in charge of their life. They need to grow up. You may not be able to control what other people say, but you can control your reaction to what they say, if you are an adult.
  • LinOtt
    LinOtt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    (Quote)

I take all the comments as complements. Of course, I'm very comfortable with myself, very emotionally stable, and very hard to offend. My self-worth doesn't come from other people or what they think of me (with the possible exception of my wife).

When people tell me it's like I've lost a whole other person, I agree with them, because 115 lbs could easily be another person. When they tell me I'm half the man I used to be, I agree. (That's not really true, but it's close enough to laugh

1. Comments that are true, or mostly true. I agree with the other person on all of these, even if it means agreeing that I was the size of an ocean liner before I started losing weight. If it's true, it's true, even if it is not complimentary to me. If anything, it just emphasizes how much progress I'm making. If I get a comment about myself that is true but I don't like it, I consider the ways I can change myself or my behavior to be a better person. Getting mad or upset about a statement of the truth is about as productive as getting mad at gravity.

People who let others' comments about their appearance make them mad or upset really need to do a lot more emotional work on themselves. They are seriously at risk of letting other people be in charge of their life. They need to grow up. You may not be able to control what other people say, but you can control your reaction to what they say, if you are an adult.
    [/quote]

I agree with you here. Most people who comment mean well, those that dont who cares? I have found this knowledge liberating. I can also report that all of my colleagues are happy for me, and at my work place there have been significant changes as a result of my weightloss journey to those around me's diets. We have even started a lunchtime salad club!
  • Hitsujikai
    Hitsujikai Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My Girlfriend and my best friend have really hammered home the difference between the sexes when it comes to asking about weight loss.

Girlfriend: "You look slim, have you lost weight?"

Best friend: "You look less fat"

Cheers mate :grumble:
  • daisydesigner66
    daisydesigner66 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    it would be nice for all the people in our lives to be supportive when we are working hard to be healthy; however, not all people are that way. The ones that say you look go the way you are generally are the ones that are insecure in themselves or jealous of your weight loss. I have had family say it but it doesn't bother me anymore. You just have to be proud of what you have accomplished and never mind those people. Just smile and say thank you. and leave the rest of your sentence in your head....for being so supportive lol
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    I've been getting the "you shouldn't lose anymore weight you are too skinny". One person asked if I had calculated my ideal weight, yes and I am still a bit away from that since that is basically my goal!

My mom always keeps me in my place. The second I eat something junky I get the "you don't want to pack on the pounds again." Love ya mom.
  • jrhm
    jrhm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I run into this a lot; I always thought it was because people thought I didn't need to loose weight in the first place, but I knew I did. When I was uncomfortable all the time, had no energy, clothes too tight - that was my push to get back in shape. At my age, too many added pounds is definitely not good; I am 70 years old and have never been obese, but I have been overweight. Usually the people who say this are overweight themselves and don't want to do what it takes to get their bodies in shape. There is longevity in my family...Dad is 99 and still going strong; his sibs lived well into their 90's, some over 100. My Mom's family lived into their late 80's and 90's too, so I have to take care of this body, it is the only one God gave me and he expects me to respect it. So, to everyone who says...you don't need to loose weight...go take a hike!
  • holagatita
    holagatita Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    lol yesterday someone asked me if I was doing it in a healthy way. I was a little insulted because I breastfeed my baby so why would I take pills and junk and risk her heath? People are stupid!
  • aba_luna
    aba_luna Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Most of the comments I received don't bother me that much. It must be weird for them to see you overweight and then "skinny." I never understood until my sister lost 20 lbs. You get preoccupied in a way and mention things to make sure everything is okay. However, there's always a way to comment. It bothered me the most when I fist started loosing weight. I had people telling me that they didn't have to do much or to join groups to lose weight. Some didn't believe I was losing until I lost 20lbs. They then started joking that I was "skinny," even though I am still 20lbs overweight. The only comments I now recieve is that I should not be losing more, but those don't bother me since in a way I feel they see the result of what I worked for. Some just don't considere me overweight, and that's rewarding in a way.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for Christmas. I'm going out of state to visit relatives. I'll have to see what sort of comments I get. Most of these people don't know I'm on a goal to lose "tons of weight".
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I lost my best friend of over 22 years because she thought I was putting too much time into exercise and the gym. She basically degrated me for trying to improve myself. The comments she said to me were so hurtful, but I guess in life when you start to do something for yourself and STOP putting other people first, people disappear from your life. Other comments/questions I've had to deal with is, how do you have time to work out with two children? I couldn't do all that. That's too much. Well, I joined a gym that has childcare included with my membership. Basically, I make time for what I want :smile:
  • JoanieGirl2492
    JoanieGirl2492 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I got (just last night) - "You look good! You lost a lot of f@#$in' weight!"

Umm, thanks?

I do like the "eat something!"

My favorite was a friend of mine telling me "damn girl, let's go have a quickie." With my husband right there haha!

People don't think. Never do. Never will. Be graceful. Say thank you. :)
  • arbolesta1
    arbolesta1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    To OP:

YES YES YES! I heard things like that a thousand times from my roommates when I first lost weight (I have since gained it back and am currently trying to lose it all again). I got down to 125 and I'm 5'0. My original (and now current) weight was around 150. I was jogging and eating healthy. Both were big girls but one in particular told me that they were "worried about me" because I was losing too much weight. I'd only lost 25 pounds and was just barely in the healthy BMI range. ^-^" They told me I didn't need to lose anymore and that I should slow my jogging down. Just don't be like me. In the end, I slowly stopped jogging altogether and went back to my old eating habits.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!