Things People Say When You've Lost Weight

Options

Replies

• jmath911
    jmath911 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    "lol yesterday someone asked me if I was doing it in a healthy way. I was a little insulted because I breastfeed my baby so why would I take pills and junk and risk her heath? People are stupid!"

I would have smiled and said "I'm taking meth" Like would anyone have said "no, I'm not"- LOL
  • Wildtigerx
    Options
    Lots of people assume I don't eat much because I've lost 10kg. When in fact I probably eat more than them and exercise my *kitten* off sometimes (no pun intended!). Those comments really bother me because I and many other put so much effort to lose weight the healthy way and in turn are deemed that were starving ourselves :mad:
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    "I'm going to pray for you"

yes some-one recently said that too me, after not seeing me for almost a year.
  • jimv50
    Options
    On a more positive note, what exactly would we like to hear from friends, family and work colleagues that would encourage us to get rid of the last few pounds, or keep us going when we are weakening a bit, especially around ' the party season'?

We all need a bit of encouragement from time to time and I think a positive comment or 'well done' should be received gracefully and in the spirit it was meant. The less positive comments from people around us should not sway us from our path in any way.

Consider that there may be people nearby that would like to lose weight themselves, get fitter or would like a more active lifestyle and if they see you as a role model on your journey to a similar goal. If it is seen that you are sensitive about well meant comments than it may discourage them from taking the first step themselves

Be gracious, be positive and focus on your goals.

I see that a lot of the comments are from women about women, which is probably a reflection on the fact that in todays climate a man would probably be in a very bad position if he was to make a public comment about a woman's size or shape.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Currently in a bulk cycle, so not quite on subject... However, I was getting out of the shower the other day and my Beautiful wife was close by. I smacked my a** and asked my wife "Do these squats make my butt look big?!"

She just laughed and shook her head at me... What the hell is that response supposed to mean?! :laugh: :blushing:
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    For me I get like very mixed messages, like you look great but you dont' need to lose any more or do anything, and then like from my mom kind of like judgements when I have something "bad" to eat, I don't know, it annoys me that I work out more than anyone in the family, and am definitely the healthiest, but even after I've gone to the gym that day and had healthy meals if I have like a bite of something (like tonight there was some appetizers out, some mac and cheese and also some various cheeses with crackers, and I took a small piece of brie and put it on a spoonful of mac and cheese just like as a joke haha look at this combo and my mom was like well I guess we're going to the gym tomorrow) like it was 1 bite, maybe 100 calories max, obviously not healthy, but not going to make or break anything, and I didn't have other appetizers where my mom continued to eat cheese and crackers and other things which clearly amounted to more calories and fat and everything than my 1 weird bite.
    So it's like hey you look great, doing great, and don't need to do anything, but oh don't have 1 bite off track
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I think that when people you know say things like that to you, it's because their perception of you is changed based on your changed appearance. It's hard to explain, but when people I've known a very long time dramatically change their appearance (in whatever way), it's kind of shocking. It's like they're not the same person anymore. But once you're around them for a while you realize "hey, it's the same ole' person, just in different packaging" and the shock wears off. Until the shock wears off, you may just have to keep dealing with the comments.

Then there's also jealousy....I was at a Weight Watchers meeting, really close to my goal weight, and a new person came in and looked at me and rudely asked "What are YOU doing here? You don't need to lose weight!" Hello....she knew nothing about me or the 100+ pounds I'd lost at that point. She made it seem like I was just there for silly vanity and had never struggled with weight in my life. People can be really dumb.

Also, my cousin got super-thin for a person belonging to our fatty gene pool several years ago and had to deal with a boatload of comments and talking behind her back. She was NOT underweight, but definitely on the lower side of healthy. Family members kept talking about her being too thin, gaunt, etc., and she really was not. It's just that people in my family are pretty darn fat, so seeing her like that was shocking and jealousy inducing. She has gained back a little, to about the middle of a healthy range, but the comments still continue! But if I were her, I wouldn't give a damn- who cares what others think, right?

I also have had family and friends tell me it's time I stop losing weight, in spite of still being a few pounds overweight according to my BMI. It seems like the larger people in our society get, the more distorted the view of what "normal" is- it keeps getting plumper and plumper among us common folk. Thinner and thinner for famous people, but that's a whole other topic.

Anyway, my advice is this: Ignore, ignore!!!
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I only mentioned I am losing weight to two people (other than my dad) both of them said told me "no dont lose weight".

Lolol screw that, I am going to get down to the very minimum of healthy weight for my height.

Its like people dont say anything when you get bigger, but when you start losing weight instead of wanting you to get healthier they want you to stop.

these are the kind of people you dont listen to.
  • GreenGablesJesss
    Options
    i have to deal with it at work and home. my husband ofcourse doesn't think i need to lose 80lbs. this is coming from a guy who is atleast 200lbs overweight. (i love him dearly but i really hope my weightloss will spark something in him to lose weight) and at work. I carry my weight very well and my coworkers all know i eat healhy and exercise. they are constantly telling me that i don't need to lose weight. that i'll look anorexic yet they constantly ask what i'm eating and what i'm doing for exercise (double standard anyone??)ugh people. can't they just let me lose weight in peace???!!!
  • ShellMarie35
    ShellMarie35 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate getting comments like this. Whenever I spend time with my family I'm constantly getting comments like, "are you supposed to be eating that?" or "how many calories have you had today?" The second I eat something that's not 100 percent healthy I get a comment about whether I'm supposed to be eating that. I work my butt off exercising every day so I can still enjoy the foods I like and continue my weight loss journey.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate getting comments like this. Whenever I spend time with my family I'm constantly getting comments like, "are you supposed to be eating that?" or "how many calories have you had today?" The second I eat something that's not 100 percent healthy I get a comment about whether I'm supposed to be eating that. I work my butt off exercising every day so I can still enjoy the foods I like and continue my weight loss journey.

That would drive me nuts! My family is the opposite. They WANT me to eat junk and try to shove it down my throat. "One day isn't going to hurt you." "Live a little, have another piece." "Life is too short." "You don't need to lose anymore, eat this." I swear my mom tries to fatten me up!
  • coullmom
    coullmom Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I get it all the time....you are so tiny, you don't need to lose weight.....ummmm, they haven't seen me naked....and the bmi chart tells me that I am overweight......I guess people think that being overweight is more normal than being fit and healthy.
  • supra_driven
    supra_driven Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm being told I'm bonny even though I'm sitting at 18% body fat. I lost all my fat from my arms and the last place left for me to loose the remaining 20 lbs of fat is in my belly and love handles. People don't see that though. I take those remarks as signs that I'm doing something right.
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    One of my coworker's (older male) friends saw me for the first time in a few months recently. He said, "Are you the new girl?" I told him no, and that I'd met him before. He stared at me blankly for a few beats, and then asked: "Did you used to be fat?"

I laughed.
  • ShellMarie35
    ShellMarie35 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

That would drive me nuts! My family is the opposite. They WANT me to eat junk and try to shove it down my throat. "One day isn't going to hurt you." "Live a little, have another piece." "Life is too short." "You don't need to lose anymore, eat this." I swear my mom tries to fatten me up!

My family will do that too sometimes. I have certain family members who pick out everything I eat that is bad and I have other family members that tell me I need to eat more.
  • UndoneTwo
    Options
    I just say "thank you". Even if I can tell they don't mean it as a compliment. It's easier and it shows them that I am doing this on purpose and am very happy with the direction I'm taking. When I was younger I used a lot of hard drugs and dropped weight remarkably fast. People would say "Oh, you've gotten SO skinny" and I would start blubbering lame excuses. Eventually I realized that doing that was way more suspicious than just saying "Thanks!" Now I'm in a very different (and healthier) spot, but I did hold on to the idea that sometimes just saying "Thanks" is the easiest response.
  • BrotherSpankus
    Options
    Urgh, I've had the "You're wasting away!" comment - and at that point I had a BMI above 30! People are pretty silly sometimes xD
  • Michaelswarrior
    Michaelswarrior Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree. Just say thank you.
    People say that to be nice on one hand. On the other they want you to fail because you are showing strength, which makes them feel weak because we all have things to work on. Some people just feel insecure and don't want others to achieve a goal because they have trouble with their own stuff. Others just like to see us fail because it makes the feel good.
    The important thing is not to let them blind side you with any comments. Keep your focus and be polite and control the situation.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think that comments like this can be misconstrued.

For example, my sister is 5'2" and weighs 110 pounds. She is a model, and she thinks she is fat all the time. She recently gained five pounds and thinks the world is going to end. When she asks me if she looks fat, I say no, and that I don't think she needs to lose weight.

I don't say that she doesn't need to lose weight for any other reason than just that it's what I think - she is beautiful. Stick thin with a bigger bum, and that's what she's always called her best "*kitten*-et". However, it's also what gives her the lowest self confidence because it's a bigger part of her.

I don't know. I just think that sometimes people jump to conclusions about comments that others make about their weight loss. Be you. Do your thing. If you think you need to lose weight, then do it, you know? Don't worry if others think you're wasting away, or if they aren't super supportive.

<3
  • TayPay
    TayPay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost a considerable amount of weight I was a bit younger and I did it very fast. People would tell me how proud of me they were at first and then when I was at my goal weight I would get comments from friends that I was too skinny and that they were "worried" about me. These comments, along with other things, eventually led me to put the weight back on because they made me feel uncomfortable with my body, again. I don't mean to blame the people around me for me being overweight, but comments like "you're wasting away" or "you're too skinny now" are not helpful when trying to feel comfortable with a new, healthier body image. Overall, looking back I can say that some of my friends were probably resentful of my new healthier lifestyle and felt uncomfortable with the change. You really have to realize that sometimes the person who knows what is best for you is often yourself. Don't let passive aggressive comments or comments that can be taken as disconcerting lead you astray from your goals. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!