Things People Say When You've Lost Weight

Options

Replies

• WSG88
    WSG88 Posts: 13
    Options
    From August 2012 to August 2013 I had went from 177 pounds to 136 (with a goal weight of 128-130) and EVERYONE in my family told me to stop losing weight, I looked sick, your getting too small this and that and for a while I brushed it off but then after being told so many times that I didn't look good I got very self conscious and started eating what ever I wanted. Thinking "Well I lost all this weight and I still look bad so this one 'brownie' wont hurt" (not always brownies lol) Now 3 months later I am 10 pounds heavier and I feel worse than ever, for more than one reason. I feel bad because my clothes are tighter, I feel bad because I worked so hard to lose weight and I literally threw it all away because someone other than myself wasn't happy with my body. And I am pissed that I let everyone else effect how I felt about myself. Today I am starting over for the last time. I will get to a weight I am comfortable with. I will reach my goal and I will be happy with myself, no matter how anyone else feels about it. Don't let them get to you, just smile kindly and know that some people will be jealous of your weight loss because you are doing something they want to do but wont make the sacrifices. And being "healthy" now a days isn't the norm. We are used to seeing more over weight people than we are used to see healthy people and that can be weird for some people. Congrats on your progress and keep going!! You can do this.
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people say things about me being "skinny." Um, I'm still "obese" according to the BMI scale and am still 30+ pounds from a "healthy" weight for my height. I'm definitely not skinny. Have I lost a lot of weight? Do I look a lot better than I did before? Am I healthier and happier now? All yes, but I'm not skinny by any stretch of the imagination.

I usually just respond with thanks, but I still have a long way to go. I don't want anyone to think that I'm perceiving myself as "done." I won't be "done" ever. This is just how I live now.

Yes. One of my coworkers calls me "skinny" now. "Hi Skinny!" And I know she means well and I have lost weight but I am not skinny. I feel like it's like calling a big guy 'Tiny".
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I've always been teased in my family as I was the chubby one, since childhood.
    I hated my body and in my teens I became an emotional eater. I only got overweight at university though.
    I have been keeping a diary since, where I record my weight and my measurements every month.
    Once I finished my studies I eventually got rid of a lot of stress. Felt even better when I went to live on my own. I dropped more weight because of some painkillers that made me sick. At my granma's funeral my weight was 47 kg, body fat 13%. My uncle's comment? Uh, you look different. You are not fat, not slim, just different...

+
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Only now that I weight 54 kg, reading my diary I understand I wasn't fat. I felt fat. That's what I have always been told I was...
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I actually like talking about my weight and my weight loss. Talking about it has made me feel more in control of it emotionally and mentally. It's like admitting you have a problem, you take away its power over you. This is my story and it's not like I can pretend it isn't. My body size is kind of obvious to everyone. I'm happy to talk about it, especially if it encourages others to find their path.

A lot of people at work have stopped to ask me about it. People I've known a long time and people I've never spoken to before will stop me. I don't mind people asking me about my success. If someone says something stupid without meaning to, I try to remember that asking people about their bodies and weight is often very uncomfortable for people. No one knows what to say that won't be offensive.

What I hate is when people immediately tell me that I'm doing it wrong or that I should try something that they've tried instead. It makes me kind of laugh since obviously I'm 72lbs down, clearly what I'm doing is working, but I think people just want to validate themselves. That's fine. I try not to take it too seriously. I get very sad though when people ask me a lot of questions and when I tell them that I adjusted my diet to fit my personal needs and I work out 4-5 days a week and I pay a personal trainer, they totally shut down. "I can't do that." or "That's not really for me." I don't know what they expected me to tell them. What magic I have up my sleeves.

I am dreading the day someone asks me about my "surgery". The surgery I didn't have.
  • janekocanpayne
    janekocanpayne Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I too have had the "wasting away" comment made, and I'm sure people think they're being complimentary, but I just find it irritating. I'm still medically overweight, so wasting away is something of an overstatement.
    I have two personal massive bug-bears, the first being the all-powerful "do you feel better for it?". This implies that I felt sick in the first place. I didn't, and right now I just feel exhausted from all the exercise, early get-ups and massive amounts of willpower required to stop shoving a cake in my face every other minute.
    The other is "what's your secret". No secret, just hard work, but you don't want to hear that.
    One other that drives me a bit bonkers is hearing people tell me that they're jealous. Jealous of what? All the blood, sweat and tears I've put in to shedding all the weight? All the early get-ups and refused chocolates? I don't think so!
    I know it was my own fault that I needed to lose the weight in the first place, but comments like don't make me feel empowered or complimented, they actually make me feel as if all the hard work I've put in is being devalued and made cheap. Unfortunately people will be people, and many don't like change so the comments will continue. I have found it useful recently to ask myself what someone would make of me if they met me for the first time, and didn't have a "past me" to compare the "present me" to - I think their perceptions of whether or not weight loss was necessary would probably be quite different.
    Good luck to all!
  • JBcat123
    JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    a long time ago when I was on weight watchers I lost 30 lbs about. and a friend came up to me and said " you're a better person now since you lost weight." so I was a bad person when I was overweight? weird.
  • kidde029
    kidde029 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had a very good friend of mine who is obsessed with staying slim and always talks about it ask me my goal weight and when I told her said "but then your be smaller than me". Given that she is 4 inches taller than me of course im looking to weigh less to be healthy. Im also always being told I suit this weight!!!! Some people
  • Barbella_93
    Options
    When I see relatives one of the first comments made is about my weight. Its like word vomit, they need to say one of two "hey there, you skinny little thing" or *hug* "jeeze you're so tiny, its like hugging air" well…I'm sorry, I mean I'm 5'3-5'4 I'm at a perfectly acceptable weight. sigh, I'm sure they mean well, however whereas I'm trying to get "fit", skinny isn't the word i appreciate hearing
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I attend a free Zumba class at a local church. I'm used to getting comments from family friends and even coworkers. Last week a classmate at zumba told me I was perfect, and that I am crazy if I lose anymore weight! really? This from someone else trying to get healthy? No it wasn't the instructor . Its very frustrating!

I feel skinny don't get me wrong, but there are areas I still want to work on (like my thunder thighs). I'm 5'5, 157.4lbs and wear a size 8 jeans, I just want to be healthy my GW is 130, which I think is reasonable. My BMI says I can weight between 112-150, so I'm shooting for the middle.
  • aquakiara
    aquakiara Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    when people make smart*** comments I tell them I eat pizza and ice cream all day. It's gets them to leave me alone haha
  • aquakiara
    aquakiara Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    lol
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    when people make smart*** comments I tell them I eat pizza and ice cream all day. It's gets them to leave me alone haha
    One day at work (lunch break), my boss who knows I'm trying to lose weight, she saw me eating a chocolate chip muffin. Then said to me, "you can't eat that your on a diet." then walked off to her office, before I could respond
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    People are annoying from the journey onward. Only my family and my boyfriend were supportive of my calorie counting and regularly going to the gym. Every time I went out with friends and would try to calculate before I ordered, they'd go, "Oh my GOD, Tiara, just eat!" And then after losing the bulk of my weight, people have been super nice about it because I actually do look better/healthier. Go figure. Now people are starting to get annoying again because they think I've lost enough and I'm getting obsessed. But I know my own body and won't let them bring me down. I do try to be more subtle if I'm calorie counting though to avoid the over the shoulder glances and then exasperated lectures when I have MFP open on my phone.
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I recently ran into a friend I had not seen for 2 years and he did a double take. He told me he wasn't sure it was me, and called me a "Skinny *****" in an endearing way. That was having lost 20lbs, 198 to 178. Skinny at 178, I think not! LOL

Anyway, it got me thinking about how my friends saw me. Did they just see me as the fat girl in the room? In my community women are almost ostracized for being over 100lbs.

Apart from one friend who just doesn't get my 'gym rat' mentality, all my friends have been really supportive and tell me all the time how great I look. But this is California and people tell each other that all the time.....
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    "You're looking skinny. You're not starving yourself, are you?"

Honestly, at the time, I took it as a compliment because I didn't think I'd lost enough weight to even be that noticeable yet. But when I think back on it, it was kind of a rude thing to say, because trust me, my calorie intake ranges anywhere from 1,500 to 2,000/day depending, so I'm definitely not starving. Oh well.
  • yellowmirror
    Options
    some years ago I went from 185-142 and I still had more to go and I was insulted like I couldn't believe. I had returned to work after a hiatus (when I lost the weight) and I got called "Olyve oyl", skinny, I was told I needed "rice and beans", a family member looked me up and down and said I look like a cancer patient. Another told me I wasn't the type to lose weight because I have a long face lol... wow. I am 5'4" I was 142, size 10, sometimes 8 jeans.

I was NOT skinny, I understand I lost weight and these people weren't used to seeing me at that weight, that being said, it hurt me quite a bit. I couldn't just shake it off I was insulted. This time I know better.

I have struggled this past year with my weight really bad, however, I am back on track. I am going to lose and I am going to keep it off and ignore EVERYONE ELSE!
  • JennMairi
    JennMairi Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I dropped from UK size 16 to size 14. When my family were asking about it and I said I was aiming for size 12 by summer but hopefully 10, my sister said 'There's no way you'll get to a (UK) size 10, you're not built small enough. It's not possible.' Her reasoning was that she wears 12 and is slim. Excuse me? You're also taller than me. I'm 5'4, there's no reason I can't get to a size 10.
  • annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    All of these responses struck a chord. When I lost the biggest chunk of weight about a year and a half ago, I heard a lot of them. Especially because I'm a teacher, and I lost a lot of it over the summer, so when school started most of my coworkers hadn't seen me for several weeks. I don't mind the compliments, but there is one teacher (overweight) who is always asking what I do to lose weight and is looking for a magic bullet. She never seems to believe me when I say "eat less and exercise a lot", so it is annoying. She's always going on about her nutritionist, being vegan, doing cross fit, etc. Well, something isn't working because she still looks the same.
  • marinashakeel
    marinashakeel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    this thread is so relatable :O i though i was the only one facing this.. stupid me :laugh:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!