WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,323 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Windy and rainy again here. Hope we don't lose our power again!:noway:

Barbie - I'm not sure my push ups are quite as a sergeant major would order them and I would probably get barked at, but they are good enough for me. Just out interest this morning I asked DH to do them for comparison and they were about the same. He only managed 10! ! ! ! ! He is one of the fittest men I know, so it must be something to do with the way your body weight and muscles are distributed. Of course, he hadn't done them before, so I am sure he would soon be beating me. The nicest thing about the strength training is the shape of my arms and upper body now. I used to be so ashamed of my arms: I used to censor all photos that showed my "fat arms".:blushing: :huh: :laugh: It was the part of me I hated the most, apart from my abdomen. Now I am very proud of them, despite the fact that I still have to wear a sleeve nearly all the time on my right arm for the lymphodema. I do wish the skin wasn't so saggy, but, considering it has shrunk terrifically, I can live with it.

Today I took a motto from The Happiness Project and decided to SPEND OUT. I ordered myself the tiniest pot of Beluga Caviar to eat on New Year's Eve. £27 .:blushing: :bigsmile: I have never tasted it, though I love lumpfish roe, and it has slways been on my bucket list to taste it. Hints dropped to DH for presents have not worked.:grumble: So I decided to celebrate my cheque, which I am paying in to the bank today, by buying myself something I have always wanted. :tongue: :happy: I will report back on the tasting!:laugh:

Last night I went to bed a bit disturbed and had to apply all the techniques I know to get myself in the mind for sleep. One of them was telling myself I would worry about it tomorrow. There was DH'S relative's death, and he called his twin sister to express his support. Then my cousin, that I newly got in contact with, emailed me to say his younger brother, that we used to play with as a child, had died a few years ago as a homeless alcoholic with cancer. I remember him as a fit young boy who was extremely talented at cricket. Apparently he never got over my aunt's death. There are other cousins I have lost touch with, including one who is very ill, so I will write him a letter. This is all my father's side of the family. All terribly sad and it lowered my mood.
    Then DH said that next weekend's visit to DSIL to meet up with her boyfriend is going to include the nephew, his wife and the crying baby that I fear is autistic. I was immediately anxious about this as I feel there will be an Elephant in the Room. For me anyway. I don't feel it is my place to bring up the subject. When I woke up I felt better and decided I was just going to be loving to the parents and listen to them and their concerns. Of course, the baby may be a delight and I may realise I have been worrying about nothing.:blushing: :embarassed: :ohwell: :heart: It's not going to be the nice, relaxing adult weekend I was looking forward to, but their need is greater than mine.:love:

Love to all. Love you loads, ladies. Thank you for being there.

Heather UK
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Juanita :smile: Hope your DH is feeling better:flowerforyou: !!! I agree with the others, you were there for him when it really mattered:heart: !!!

Yanniejannie :smile: Sounds like you had a wonderful time in Williamsburg, that`s one of my favorite places:happy: ! I love meeting new doggie friends!

Cindy :smile: Congrats to your daughter:flowerforyou: !!! What a wonderful man your future son in law seems to be:love: !!!

Heather :smile: So sorry to hear about the passing of your relative, so very young:brokenheart: :cry: !

Sylvia :smile: You have an anniversary coming soon:flowerforyou: !!!! I wouldn`t worry about the 6 pounds up, with all the trauma your body has been through…give yourself time to recoup before weighing:flowerforyou: ! Drs. doodling…. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Congrats on the smaller size pajamas!!!

Katla :smile: Congrats on maintaining your weight through the holidays!!! It`s nice to know you haven`t missed any yoga classes! Be careful with your wrist!!! I`m glad you made the decision that is best for you! Spending time doing things you love and with the people love = happiness in my book:love: !

Margaret :smile: 0 degrees…..stay warm!!! Hope some of your soreness has eased!

Alison :smile: Oh dear…sounds like an awful day for you:sad: ! Hope things have calmed down. Wish I had some wise words to offer, but I am just speechless on this…I can`t believe he treats you so bad:angry: !

Jane Hadji :smile: Hello girlfriend!!!! So nice to see you posting again:flowerforyou: !!!! You have had a time with all the caring for your parents, you are such a good daughter:heart: ! I know how you feel with the resentment and guilt:cry: ….I think it`s normal! You do need to take your own feelings into consideration though:flowerforyou: ! How is hubby doing?

Jane Martin :smile: Hope your daughter found lots of good things to buy with her Christmas money:bigsmile: !

Jo :smile: Welcome! Come in often and chat with us!

Joyce :smile: I hope your son in law gets his responsibilities covered and will be able to join in your Christmas celebration!

Meg :smile: Yay for finishing the books!!! LOL at you having to think about dog spit on the donut:laugh: . Stay warm!!!

Vicki :smile: Glad to hear you`re feeling better:flowerforyou: !!!

Barbie :smile: Oh yes, Noel got plenty….3 new balls, 2 of which squeak loudly:noway: , an angry bird pig that makes noise and a new dress, she was as excited over her presents as the grandgirls were:laugh: ! What is “swimming rama”?, for some reason I picture a goldfish in a bowl:blushing: .

Michele :smile: You always keep your body guessing with all your different exercises, I so need to do that. I stick to walking most of the time:ohwell: !

Gail :smile: January normalcy…..I like the sound of that!:bigsmile:

Anamika :smile: Congrats on only one sweet!!! Greats NSV!!!

Heather :smile: Congrats for buying your caviar, I`ve tried it many times and I just don`t care for it, of course I don`t like sushi either. I hope you really enjoy it:love: ! It`s nice to mark things off your bucket list:bigsmile: ! Hope your weekend turns out to be fun!

I had a wonderful time yesterday at brunch; we were there for almost 3 hours:tongue: ! She has a lot going on in her life, her hubby has cancer, and her mother and sister was just diagnosed too, it`s just so sad:sad: , and it`s really wearing her out:sick: , and she just became a new grandma too:love: . We just don`t get to spend much time together anymore, so this was so precious to me:heart: ! Lots of laughter and a few tears too!

Time to get moving! Have a great day ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in soon to be sunny NC...the sunrise is amazing this morning:love:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,780 Member
    Options
    morning, ,
    slept in a little and then had my lemon water, iced my heel and off to the gym..
    DH is under alot of stress,no he should not take it out on me,but everytime we go away,something happens here, the garage door isnt working correctly, and our dog Chester the shih-tzu has had bladder and bladder stone problems, before we left,he had blood in his urine, so they gave us 2 weeks of antibiotics,now Tom checked his urine again and it is even worse, so of course he says the dog is dying ,on his last legs etc....he is a freaking mess, thank goodness im going back to work...
    our wedding album is sitting right out here on the side table, but he doesnt look at that, he just has to look at all the negative stuff..
    made him a calzone for dinner that he can cook , and I am just having my tea, taking a shower and going to get my lunch together and go to work. we work a 1/2 day tomorrow and then have weds and thursday off.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,081 Member
    Options
    Good morning from the land of ten thousand frozen lakes,

Cindy congrats on the future SIL..:smile:

Katla continued healing thoughts on your wrist. :flowerforyou:

Jane in CO I agree with others that as hard as it is taking time to take care of you is important. :flowerforyou:

Welcome jo:flowerforyou:

Joyce I go to an annual white elephant party on New Year's day. It always brings on some good laughs.:laugh:

Sylvia congrats on the pj's. I am proud of you.:drinker:

Heather sounds like you are going in with a good attitude for the weekend. Good luck.:flowerforyou:

Grandmallie sometimes my DH is what I call snarky, so I know it is not easy to be around. I have learned to remove myself or not react to some of the things he says or does. I like the saying, "Just because you see the hook does not mean you have to bite." Sometimes it is easier said then done.:laugh:

0 seems like a heat wave now. We will be below zero most of the day. I am joining a friend later today to see Saving Mr. Banks.
    I grew up singing along to Marry Poppins so I am looking forward to it. With this cold I am doing something nice for me today.

:heart:
    Margaret
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Alison, men just can't handle stress! Mine is like yours, any little stress and they fly off the handle. :grumble: We become the scape-goat for their tantrums. :explode: That is one of the reasons I work away from home. I used to work at home, and he respected that time, but he was worried about finances at that time so 'flipped out' quite often. :noway: Since I started back to working full time, I only see that part of him when he is hurting (he has very bad arthritis) or stressed. Oh, well, I made my choice. Just do not feel alone in this. I am right along with you! :flowerforyou:

Sorry for all the deaths and illnesses this holiday season. :sad: It seems that the added stress of the holidays add to already sick people to make things worse. Even though it is suppose to be a happy time, it can also be a very sad time. :sick:

Weighed in at the gym today and stayed the same from last week. I think it is water weight because I was not very good last week with Christmas and all. I am hoping to get back on track this week! :blushing:

On the other hand, I had some NSVs that are very encouraging. :happy: 1. A fellow gym member commented on how much slimmer I look! 2. I bought a pair of jeans this weekend and have gone from an 18 to a loose fitting 16! 14's are still too tight but not for much longer! 3. Not gaining but staying the same over this last week is an NSV in itself! :bigsmile:

Prayers and hugs to all who need them. Patience and calm thoughts for those who are stressed. Congrats to all having survived the Christmas holiday!

Rita from CT. (It's official! I changed my cell phone number to a CT number this weekend!) :laugh:
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add a note about my December SMART goal:

To be consistent with 4 times a week at Curves and loose at least 5 pounds by December 31.

I made it! Now must think of one for January........
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Saving my place for later. Have a great day, everyone.:flowerforyou:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: excited to see a 1.5 lb loss this morning. I had a horrible sleep and still have a sore throat and headcold. Not bad, but not feeling up to going to jazzercise yet. I will be doing the bookkeeping today, and also likely take a nap. :yawn:

Renny
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Wow, didn't sleep well last night. With my neuropathy, I have problems with burning feet and pins and needle. Sometimes I feel it, sometimes not. My feet are cold when I go to bed so I wear socks but after the first time I get up to go to the bathroom I take the socks off because my feet will burn. Well this morning was one of those times. So I am up, don't like it. My body likes about 9 - 10 hours of sleep at night. The cat is enjoying her Momma being up though.

I think we need to form a support group of women with grumpy, verbally abusive husbands. I have pretty much just learned to ignore my husbands, well at least most of the time. I do miss the closeness my parents had. And I know that my girls know that kind of love exists. I feel that really missed out on a lot when they were growing up. We also have had to give up traveling to all the places we had wanted to got to in retirement. But I refuse to deal with his road rage. I know people have told me to travel without him but I hate to think how many holes would be in the walls when I got home.

Finally got a message from my daughter that my SIL has got his Sunday responsibilites covered. I know that it would have caused a lot of drama among the family members that don't understand a persons commitment to his church and God. But I believe that God created family also and understands when one must skip a Sunday in order to have family celebrations like the celebrations of Jesus birth. Now if we can just have no family drama from my nieces husband and the man that my brother has 'adopted'. My nephew feels his sister 'settled' by marrying a blind man who doesn't bring in much money in his job and several family members just don't like this other guy.

Well bath tub is finally looking clean but not there yet. On to vacuuming and wrapping my two funny gifts. I have doubts that all of the entire Peterson families gifts will fit around the tree along with our table and chairs to have our meal. I bought what I though were 'going to Grandma's house' size suitcases for both my girls but they are bigger and just my gifts alone it is looking crowded. Can you tell I like Christmas!!!!!

Joyce, Indiana
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy mon.
    Sorry for all the problems,health issues,deaths,family issues that everyone is dealing with.
    Sending hugs your way.:heart::heart: :heart:
    jane
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the kind welcome back's! I love that this is such a caring and supportive group. Hubby is waiting for me outside so this will be short -- we need to make some returns, but I wanted to be sure to check in.

The first day went well. I'm focusing this first week on eliminating sugar, drinking water and walking. I put frozen blueberries into my oatmeal instead of sugar this morning, and it wasn't bad. I think that I'll thaw them out first the next time, though, as the oatmeal was completely cold! :wink:

Happy Monday!
    Jane in Colorado
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Rita: Congrats on the inches lost!! Just keep reminding yourself that muscle weighs a whole lot more than fat, so your weight might stay the same, but you are still losing:flowerforyou:

Allison - So sorry dh is treating you badly. :angry: We are all here to support you and also act as a reflecting board, to help you maintain perspective. Taking his stress out on you is NOT appropriate, and he is responsible for his behavior - not you. :flowerforyou:

In terms of December goals, did meet increasing my cardio at least 20%, though have not consistently added a gym day each week. I am going longer each of the two days I do go, so that's sort of done.:laugh:

Welcome to all the new folks and hugs/warm thoughts for all going through loss, health issues, and other trials. Hoping the New Year brings health and happiness to you all.

Jill in western MA
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    I am so behind with the thread. Read a few posting and

Sylvia- yeah girl, throw those 4X jammies out! What a great NSV!
    Margaret- Loved Mary Poppins as a girl, even had the doll and LP, which my grandmother gave me.

Of course the washing machine went out and had to order a new one...on line from Sears! Was real easy. Now I hope the delivery is on schedule and installation is smoothe. My father goes through ALOT of laundry...sheets, pads, and if those don't get washed promptly, it stinKs!
    This all happened the day after Xmas, so of course if I don't get the delivery tomorrow, it may be another week before the schedule hits my neighborhood. grumble.
    Ate within my 1200 calories/day since Christmas. I haD A delish salad from OutBack Steak House...was an asian ginger salad with ahi tuna. went home and made it with salmon (Yes, Michelle, your favorite! lol...salmon). Use sliced red cabbage, sesame seeds, rice wine vinegar and 3 tsps. spicy sesame oil....yum.
    Running off to do errands.
    I LOVE THIS THREAD!!! YOU GIRLS ARE THE BEST:smooched: !!!
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I got completely out of synch this Christmas. We went to babysit the four grand kids for a week and I got behind and never caught up completely. We were still shopping Christmas Eve. Now I'm peeling out the 60 pounds of pecans we had cracked. I tried to read some of the posts but was overwhelmed.
    Someone said, I think it was Jane in Co she is focusing on water and logging. That makes sense to me. I need to get off the sugar. So much candy, cake and fruitcake. Wish I could say I didn't eat any but unfortunately I lost all control. So the question is, do I have the resolve to get back to healthy eating? This I know for sure, I feel miserable about how I look and feel weak from lack of exercise. So if you will have me back I want to get on with it. Happy New Year to each and everyone of you.
    Sue in Tx
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Sue in Tx:flowerforyou:
    hugs
    jane
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,780 Member
    Options
    evening dear friends~
    all your love and support really and truly mean the world to me:flowerforyou: :heart:
    well dog is ok for right now,we arent going to do anything drastic waiting for the urine test to come back and it has something to do with his bladder.
    DH went to the dr and they gave him more steriods, the dr down in florida didn't give him enough to knock the stuff out of his system.
    garage door, my brother hit a lock button on the inside , so the poor guy came out and, bless his heart only charged Tom for the gas to get here.
    as I told DH everything will work out, dont get your undies in a bunch:laugh:
    going in early tomorrow and out at noon time. then an uneventful New years eve, we will be in bed before the ball falls,
    p.s--- forgot to tell you there was a 300.00 bonus check waiting for me when I got back to work..
    I feel bad ,but not going to tell the DH,even though I should share it with him.. I will use it to pay for my gym membership for next year.. and have a little left over
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: The month is winding down and tomorrow evening I’ll be posting the link to the new thread for January 2014…..be looking for it in the early evening PST…..and be thinking of a few good goals or resolutions for January…..i know that yoga will be one of my resolutions.

:flowerforyou: Michele, that’s a great suggestion for Olive Garden. …..swimming rama is white meat chicken (not breaded) with spinach and peanut sauce….not really low calorie but not breaded and fried…….we are big fans of the Seattle Sea Hawks, our nearby team….they are playing very well this year so Jake and I make a point of watching their games each week……we record the game on the DVR, start watching the recording about 30 minutes after the game starts so we can fast forward through the commercials and pause it to walk the dogs or answer the phone.

:bigsmile: Sylvia, congrats on the new PJ’s in a smaller size

:bigsmile: atla, congrats on making your decision to be retired and stay retired…..I love my life with my family as my main focus.

:bigsmile: Anamika, I did a different yoga routine today…good for you having only one sweet….eating with relatives can be challenging.

:flowerforyou: Heather, it sounds like you have a lot to think about (or not think about) at bedtime…..sometimes it’s just best to buy a present for yourself instead of hinting and waiting for someone else to buy it for you…enjoy your caviar…..there are different muscles used in planks and pushups so It’s not surprising that someone can do one of them better than the other….congrats on doing more than DH...:bigsmile:

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: DeeDee, it sounds like Noel had a great Christmas..swimming rama is boiled white meat chicken, spinach and peanut sauce…..your friend must have appreciated having you available to talk for so long…..she should hook up with the women ages 50+ and then she’d have lots of caring friends.

:flowerforyou: Margaret, I love the saying “just because you see the hook, does not mean you have to bite”….I will remember that because I’m sure to need it sometime soon.

:bigsmile: Rita, smaller jeans are a much better measure of success than the scale…..the scale is often a big liar.

:flowerforyou: Renny, a nap instead of Jazzercise sounds like a good idea and I should know, since I just got up from a two hour nap.

:flowerforyou: Jane in CO, good job substituting berries for sugar…..it has been my experience that the longer you go without added sugar, the less you’ll want it….be strong and be consistent

:flowerforyou: Susan, we had our dryer break right before Christmas over 10 years ago and I still remember having to go the Laundromat because there was no way to get it fixed over the holidays...:grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

:flowerforyou: Sue in TX, you can’t do it all at once…..try starting with more water one day and adding more veggies the next day , getting out for a short walk, and soon you’ll be back on the healthy path……all those pecans sound great….my friend who travels back and forth between here and Waco made a pecan pie for Jake and he declared it the best pie he’d ever eaten.

:flowerforyou: Alison, when Jake was getting steroid injections for something years ago, he said they made him full of rage and he’d never take them again for anything.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful chilly NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: ..16,000 steps today….25 minutes of yoga-

My word for 2013 is “Stretch” inspired by “The Happiness Project”….I will seek opportunities to stretch my body and stretch myself personally by improving skills and trying new things.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,081 Member
    Options
    Good evening from the land of ten thousand frozen lakes, :grumble: Yes we are starting to look this blue.

Rita congrats on the smaller size:drinker:

I thoroughly enjoyed Saving Mr. Banks I would recommend tissues if you go.:sad: It showed how difficult it is to compromise, but when love:heart: is the driving force great things are achieved. I will have to dig out my copy of Mary Poppins now and reread it.

:heart:
    Margaret
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,068 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends,
    I am sipping on a large mug of Echinacea tea as I have been sneezing on and off today. At the grocery store, nearly everyone in line and the clerk were all sniffling and coughing. :sick: Arggggh! I refuse to let any of these nasty bugs latch onto to me and stoke my resistance using every trick in the book. Most recent one I read about was that eating onions helps fortify your immune system. Good thing I love ‘em. :laugh:

The after-Christmas sales have been very good for me. Went to Macy’s and found two suits for work, plus 2 long sleeved tops, and 5 pair of my favorite luxury panties. By the time I applied the store discounts and my coupons, it was a scosh over $100. And the best part was that the size 12 trousers were too loose at the waist. Wooohoooo! :love:

One of my December goals was to read a book on health or fitness. Now I can recommend a quick read titled “Superfoods Guide” by M.D. Fry. Good for reinforcing what you already know. I also have started to listen daily to a 30 minute audiobook (purchased on Audible.com) which is a self-hypnosis exercise: “Love Healthy Eating”. I may not benefit as much from this book because I realize I already do love healthy eating. My problem is I like eating more than I should…:tongue::cry:

It’s with great, deep appreciation and love that I wish all of you more joy, health and happiness in the New Year than you can even imagine. Cheers to us! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Rori in the Colorado Foothills

1880429u21sqkysar.gif