Ready for the New Year Resolution's gym attack?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Still1Workoutatatime
    Options
    truth! but I just go really late
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Ah I see, do you change your track, surf the web or have a chat with your gym buddy?

I personally sit there staring at people looking like I've just killed myself on the previous set, at the point it take a few mins to get over the previous set, all I am concerned about is me, myself and I

I usually have crazy-loud heavy metal blasting in my ears. I just sit and stare at the floor with a crazed look in my eyes. I'm not concerned with others unless they are bothering me, for some reason. Talking on the phone is not allowed at my gym. It's distracting. I don't even like when people talk. It distracts me quite a lot. The gym is not for talking and laughing and screwing around. Some people treat it that way. It's annoying. The more annoying people around me are, the louder the music gets. Often, my skull is vibrating from the music. I can't get it loud enough to drown out the idiocy around me.

Careful you sound just a few steps away from Falling Down http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106856/ :wink:
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Options
    Thing is if we have enough time to realise that someone is talking at the top of their voice we prob aren't working hard enough :)

Generally someone like that is speaking for an audience. They want to be heard. You hear them.

I wear headphones.

I had mine on...even with the volume turned up the person drowned out what I was listening to.

Oh, I get you, same thing happens with me. Of course I could add some commentary about how this relates to the stereotypical differences in listening between genders, but you know...
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Hey, everyone's got to start somewhere!
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I already had a rant about this on facebook.

I respect the January crowd for making the commitment to themselves (there ARE 11 other months in the year though...) but I don't respect gym's inability to accomodate. If you sign up 1000 people in one day but 15 treadmills are broken there is a problem. No one; seasoned gym rat or newbie came to wait.

Granted, I go to Planet Fitness and you do get what you pay for. I pay $10/month because I just need equipment. If I wanted anything beyond that, I'd go to a different gym. Putting in a "hydro massage chair" room that takes up HALF of the already too small stretching area is ridiculous when half of the equipment is out of order.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    How about spending some extra time there and helping some of the Resolutioners, as you call them. Then maybe they will stick with it and become regulars and next year they can complain also. We all started somewhere.

Not a paid trainer, sorry.

Aren't you just a ray of sunshine.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in this? It seems weekly there is a thread full of replies on how we shouldn't give out unsolicited advice at the gym, but then every year in the "gym is packed" thread you see "why don't you just give unsolicited advice"
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    think of all the poor newbies who'll be spending half their time taking the heavy plates left by the lazy regulars off the machines they're trying to use, and queueing for a bench or machine occupied by the hogs that won't share or work in,
    no wonder so many of them leave after a short time

Lulz.

Yes, it's the "lazy regulars" fault approx 80% of resolutioners fail/quit.
  • ThePinkAvenger
    Options
    I'm warming up the DSLR battery - thinking of doing a RESIDENT REPORTER story about the New Year rush at Gyms. Then again, maybe not. Old News - plus my Gym is closed today.
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Options
    I already had a rant about this on facebook.

I respect the January crowd for making the commitment to themselves (there ARE 11 other months in the year though...) but I don't respect gym's inability to accomodate. If you sign up 1000 people in one day but 15 treadmills are broken there is a problem. No one; seasoned gym rat or newbie came to wait.

Granted, I go to Planet Fitness and you do get what you pay for. I pay $10/month because I just need equipment. If I wanted anything beyond that, I'd go to a different gym. Putting in a "hydro massage chair" room that takes up HALF of the already too small stretching area is ridiculous when half of the equipment is out of order.

Well yes, you will get a lot of people that sign up for that price. Thats part of the whole Get What You Pay For thing. I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford 24 Fitness which while still much cheaper then most, like Health and Sport, still discourages some from signing up.

Plus PF is all about the supposed non judgmental pizza serving marketing ploy, so may be less intimidating.

I don't see any overcrowding because the gym is just so damn big and there is so much equipment, but thats part of what I pay for. Towels are nice too.
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Options
    think of all the poor newbies who'll be spending half their time taking the heavy plates left by the lazy regulars off the machines they're trying to use, and queueing for a bench or machine occupied by the hogs that won't share or work in,
    no wonder so many of them leave after a short time

Lulz.

Yes, it's the "lazy regulars" fault approx 80% of resolutioners fail/quit.

Plus you have to wonder why people belong to gyms like that. Who are these people and where're these gyms?
  • nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    How about spending some extra time there and helping some of the Resolutioners, as you call them. Then maybe they will stick with it and become regulars and next year they can complain also. We all started somewhere.

Not a paid trainer, sorry.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in this? It seems weekly there is a thread full of replies on how we shouldn't give out unsolicited advice at the gym, but then every year in the "gym is packed" thread you see "why don't you just give unsolicited advice"

ROTFLMAO so true! :laugh:
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Thing is if we have enough time to realise that someone is talking at the top of their voice we prob aren't working hard enough :)

Generally someone like that is speaking for an audience. They want to be heard. You hear them.

I wear headphones.

I had mine on...even with the volume turned up the person drowned out what I was listening to.

Oh, I get you, same thing happens with me. Of course I could add some commentary about how this relates to the stereotypical differences in listening between genders, but you know...

LOL Yes...I do know...

Here is how one doctor explains it...

"Dr Brizendine explains that testosterone also reduces the size of the section of the brain involved in hearing - allowing men to become "deaf" to the most logical of arguments put forward by their wives and girlfriends."

However...to make up for a man's "deafness"...it goes on to say...

"But what the male brain may lack in converstation and emotion, they more than make up with in their ability to think about sex."

:-)

Just kidding...
  • nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Why are people complaining about a busy gyms in january? I'm happy for all the people trying to become healthier and I will meet them with a smile and a helping hand.

I'm very happy for people who want to be healthier in the new year. People like that I don't consider to new year resolutioners, I consider them to be people making a real lifestyle change. There is a huge difference.

And how can you tell them appart? Everyone new in the gym today will be resolutioners trying to make a lifestyle change. Some will suceed and others will struggle and quit. They are still trying so be nice.

By the people who are trying & the people who are just sitting on the machines playing on their phones for 15 mins. Nobody becomes an expert overnight. I respect people who put in the effort 100%.

Those new people are not the only ones on their phones. Sometimes it is those that have been going for a long time. In the apt gym that I went to for a while there was a guy that went every day...usually for 1 1/2 half. Of that 1 1/2 hours he was on the phone...sometimes sitting on the equipment...leaving his things laying on a treadmill...etc...etc. There was one trainer...she spent most of her time talking at the top of her lungs...not about fitness...or working with a client...but about her personal life.

It works both ways...new or not...some people are just inconsiderate of others.

I agree with you there. Sometimes I think people are napping on them lol!
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I go to an expensive gym in a working class town. Pretty much never see people wasting time and never seems to be a huge influx of newbies. Not when I'm there snyeay