HALP! Is this MFP Love or Infatuation?

Options

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I think you have to meet someone at least a few times to know whether its real or not. Ever heard of phishing? It's also an MTV show lol. But really, it's these people who go on the internet to build up relationships and make the other person feel like it's real, only to get them to give them SOME kind of money or something. So you really gotta be careful. Little flirts and all are okay, but taking it to the "I Love You" stage....NOPE....BIG NOPE. Been there once. We both made plans to go see each other time after time after time. We started talking, we stopped, we started, we stopped. So I came to the conclusion we both used each other for when we were lonely. We both knew we'd never actually meet in person. But, some people really do believe this whole internet relationship deal can work. I DO NOT.

Of course it can work out. There are many instances of this (one in this very thread). But certainly, safe guards must be put in place, and it's best to meet in person as soon as possible before too many expectations get built up.
    If stuff moves too soon, sometimes it's best to take a step back, though..

When I said meet, I meant just that. I guess even a video chat is better than just going by a photo and building up too many false expectations.
    True point. Only problems would be when there are too many things already in the way.
    Sigh.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I think you have to meet someone at least a few times to know whether its real or not. Ever heard of phishing? It's also an MTV show lol. But really, it's these people who go on the internet to build up relationships and make the other person feel like it's real, only to get them to give them SOME kind of money or something. So you really gotta be careful. Little flirts and all are okay, but taking it to the "I Love You" stage....NOPE....BIG NOPE. Been there once. We both made plans to go see each other time after time after time. We started talking, we stopped, we started, we stopped. So I came to the conclusion we both used each other for when we were lonely. We both knew we'd never actually meet in person. But, some people really do believe this whole internet relationship deal can work. I DO NOT.

Of course it can work out. There are many instances of this (one in this very thread). But certainly, safe guards must be put in place, and it's best to meet in person as soon as possible before too many expectations get built up.

When I said meet, I meant just that. I guess even a video chat is better than just going by a photo and building up too many false expectations.
    True point. Only problems would be when there are too many things already in the way.
    Sigh.

You mean like husbands or wives?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm also just curious how this thread is going to turn out.

Also, I'm shocked that JoyJoy was deceiving everyone by posting a photo of her cat from a younger age. :noway:

In her defense, they do grow up REALLY quickly. It's the kitty way, I'm afraid.

And, it was cuter as a kitten.

Yes, I went there.

:laugh: :tongue:

:wink: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    It can become something, or it can become nothing. There was one woman on here that I talked to all the time and we both started to develop feelings. But we lived 12 hours apart. One day, we just had a frank discussion about the fact that it wasn't possible for there to be anything between us, and that was that. She has a boyfriend now, and we are still friends.

What happens with you depends entirely on your unique situation and set of circumstances. But right now, it's just infatuation. Nothing more.
  • Sinisterly
    Options

Sigh.

You mean like husbands or wives?
    Like family that is un-accepting and that needs to be visited before they mess their lives up even further + family in other countries to see before they die.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Why would I lie? I put it on the internet. It has to be true.
    FINE!!! I'll give you all my trust and spill all my secrets in your inbox!
    You ready??

You might want to tell a Silence. Then you will forget everything you told them. :wink:
    tumblr_mh5wx773mp1qirhslo1_500.jpg
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!
    Awesome valentines are awesome. Saving image! :love:
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    No way to know if it is true love until you both have farted in bed during oral. at least once.
    FIFY.
  • Sinisterly
    Options
    No way to know if it is true love until you both have farted in bed during oral. at least once.
    FIFY.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Thwarted funny perspectives!
  • ShorelyReady
    ShorelyReady Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    FIFY.

HAHAHAHA! :laugh:
  • Edwin_S
    Edwin_S Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Just like a job interview...everybody looks good on paper. It's best to meet in person before you start building up expectations. Even just talking on the phone will help to give you insight into if this this person is a knight or a not. You could easily have chemistry through social media, but then in person come to find the spark just isn't there. Don't be afraid to admit whatever you feel. I hope all works out for you OP.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I would say infatuation right now. I've been there, done that with an MFP'er. I could think of nothing else but him for months. We talked all of the time; first on MFP, then email, we Skyped, texted and spent many hours talking on the phone. When we finally met things took off rather quickly, but once he moved to my state things started going bad in a hurry. I wish I had long-distance dated him longer before allowing that step to happen because there were things (that ultimately caused the romance to end) that I didn't learn about him until he lived near me and we were spending a lot more time together. Before he moved here I thought he was "the one" but in hindsight I realize that most of that was based on infatuation and not on a real life romance.

It just depends I suppose...I know of MFPers that have successful relationships after meeting here, I know of a few couples that didn't make it, and one couple that got married not too long ago. Just take your time and see where things go, but don't even think about 'getting serious' until you at least meet!!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    There's a poster in this thread right now that is attempting to pass off a photo of themselves that is not a remotely current accurate representation ( and I don't mean stock photos ) of themselves. It happens way more than people think.

catfish catfish catfish

people will believe whatever they want to believe.

Meow?

Damnit VJ...why you gotta tell. :tongue:

You and me both, Joy.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    also keep in mind some on here do not post their own pics, so you may be crushing on someone who is not who they say they are.

Agreed...ever watched the show Catfish?

What do you do to make sure pictures are real and it's really the person you think it is behind the image?

Didn't you say you guys face time? :huh: Unless he's holding up a picture in front of the video chances are good that the person you're talking to might be him.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    also keep in mind some on here do not post their own pics, so you may be crushing on someone who is not who they say they are.

Agreed...ever watched the show Catfish?

What do you do to make sure pictures are real and it's really the person you think it is behind the image?

Didn't you say you guys face time? :huh: Unless he's holding up a picture in front of the video chances are good that the person you're talking to might be him.

Now you are just being way to logical.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I'm a pragmatic person by nature so this type of stuff doesn't intrigue me. My view is that you are reacting to your personal fantasies and conjectures regarding this person as opposed to what the reality of it all is. That's fine. Just know it's mostly all in your head and you may be setting yourself up for big time disappointment.

However, strange things do happen when we keep an open mind so, as unlikely as it may seem to me, you may have hit the love jackpot with this person and will live happily ever after.

Just keep tracking your calories and get in your workouts because that's the main reason you're here:flowerforyou:
  • Llamedos1960
    Options
    I'm also just curious how this thread is going to turn out.

Also, I'm shocked that JoyJoy was deceiving everyone by posting a photo of her cat from a younger age. :noway:

You mean that photo's not of JoyJoy? But I was falling in love ... :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • 2bePhantasticallyfit
    Options
    No way to know if it is true love until you both have farted in bed. at least once.

CRAZY....but so true!

very true...and it's true love if he dutch ovens you and you still love him after that :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • logansmummy724
    Options
    It could be real but only time and meeting each other with truly tell! Ive crushed on ppl online before and luckily 1 worked out for a few yrs but it wasnt my lifetime partner! Each situation is different, just dont get umyour hopes up incase it isnt what u think it is or want!

It happens to a lot of ppl whether they admit it or not hun!!!.
    Best of luck to you
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm not a player I just crush a lot lol

Lol!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Do you guys log your cardio at the same time?