support for Binge Eating Disorder

Options

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Melissa,

I sort of do the same thing you do. I take fruits, baby carrots, cheese sticks, or somehting similar with to make sure that when I am out I am not tempted to buy junk or stop at FAT foods places because I get hungry. I also make sure I have 2 or more bottles of water with also.

I also keep something in the car at most times. I can not afford to caught out without nothing. It works for me most times.

Have a good weekend!
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I just found this thread this morning, and have already read through it. Reading it made me realize that I may have this eating disorder and I really want to change that. Just last night I had a small binge, but this past weekend, I binged Saturday and Sunday, ALL DAY. I just ate whatever I wanted, not caring if I was hungry or what the calorie count was. I ended up gain quite a few pounds and worked my tail off all this week to lose them. Then Friday night came around, and I ate more than I should have. I usually binge at night when I get bored.

I really hope posting on here will give me accountability, and allow me to shake this horrible habit. I want to finish losing this weight, and binging is certainly not helping the process. I saw many people saying just to take it one day at a time, and that's what I'm going to do. Today WILL be day number one of not binging.

I look forwarding to posting on here and getting to know all of you guys :]
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    @ brittanyr8 - Welcome to the group, hun.

It sounds like you're not sure if you have Binge Eating Disorder (BED). We all have our days of over-eating. But if it becomes a chronic thing, where you do it over and over again (usually at least twice a week), over the period of months or longer then it goes behond the average over-eating slips and is probably BED.

Either way, I hope you find some support and and encouragement here. :)
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    "No taste on the tongue and not food in the stomach will appease inner yearnings, emotional longings, or spiritual emptiness. There is no getting around the need to do the work necessary to address these." ~ Victoria Moran, Fit From Within
  • Krymsen
    Options
    Welcome brittanyr8!

I hear ya! Being close to my goal weight and binging does not help. I hope you find some helpfully tips from the post there are alot of great ideas. You are right one day at a time, one of my rules is I log everything in so I can see how much I ate and be aware of the food and the time of day and what is going on in my life at this time so I can learn why and grow from each binge I have. It is hard not to overeat sometimes, I eat when I'm bored too or stressed. That is a big problem for me is the stress trying really hard to find other way to deal with it.

But anyway what I find helps is to not stay doing something for to long, for example watch tv for like hour then do a hobby or clean then do something else keep yourself busy so your not thinking about food. Good luck we are all here for ya!

Well I binged yesterday most of the food was healthy but I had a few choc. bars. I had a fight with my hubby and that set it of I was just off for the rest of the day. Good thing my family was home or it would have been way worse. Next time I'm going to remove myself from the problem right away and clam down before I came back and relax or exercise so I don't turn to food first.

Today a new day and will be better, had a chance to talk to him and work it out so things are better and I feel in a better place so a better day today next time I will talk a time out before I go crazy again.

Melissa
  • itsmewendylee
    itsmewendylee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Welcome brittanyr8!

I hear ya! Being close to my goal weight and binging does not help. I hope you find some helpfully tips from the post there are alot of great ideas. You are right one day at a time, one of my rules is I log everything in so I can see how much I ate and be aware of the food and the time of day and what is going on in my life at this time so I can learn why and grow from each binge I have. It is hard not to overeat sometimes, I eat when I'm bored too or stressed. That is a big problem for me is the stress trying really hard to find other way to deal with it.

But anyway what I find helps is to not stay doing something for to long, for example watch tv for like hour then do a hobby or clean then do something else keep yourself busy so your not thinking about food. Good luck we are all here for ya!

Well I binged yesterday most of the food was healthy but I had a few choc. bars. I had a fight with my hubby and that set it of I was just off for the rest of the day. Good thing my family was home or it would have been way worse. Next time I'm going to remove myself from the problem right away and clam down before I came back and relax or exercise so I don't turn to food first.

Today a new day and will be better, had a chance to talk to him and work it out so things are better and I feel in a better place so a better day today next time I will talk a time out before I go crazy again.

Melissa

I get set off by triggers like a fight with my hubby or a bad day at work too. I do try to cope in other ways like taking walk, talking to a friend, etc... but for some reason, nothing seems to soothe like an entire bag of chips followed by a dozen giant cookies, you know? Except it doesn't soothe. After a binge I am all the more upset because I feel physically ill and disgusted with myself. I need to stay away from food when I am upset but it's easier said than done. Had a binge myself on Friday night but it's been a good rest of the weekend.
  • Krymsen
    Options
    Hey! itsmewendylee

Tks so much, I hear ya about the whole "nothing seems to soothe" becuase sometimes it is just that way for me to.

I just feel trapped like I can not get away from the stress or problem so I turn to food. Not cool I know but one day at a time.

I'm doing ok today trying to move on so I don't binge anymore.

Melissa
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Hi Brittany & Wendy, welcome to the group! :drinker:

Hi Melissa, thanks for checking in this weekend. :flowerforyou:

I'm doing okay. :ohwell: Not a great weekend food - wise but it's a new week and will be better! I joined Mollie on an exercise challenge and am proud to say I made it. :happy: The goal was 360 min/ week and I did 390 last week! That's the most exercise I've done in a week since departing with the trainer. My body aches but I'm also a little under the weather so that is not helping. I also have a bad habit of feeding my ailment to make me feel better. I was feeling so icky on Saturday that I didn't eat anything all day and then when I started to get hungry I rationalized ice cream because I had so many calories left, I know it would make me feel good (of course sugar & fat will), it would soothe my sore throat, and it was really all I wanted. So I went to the grocery store and bought a 1/2 gallon of Breyer's chocolate/vanilla and ate some. At least I used a small bowl and only ate like 3 servings at a time. And I let Joe at it so it is almost gone now. I know how this must sound, pretty bad when I'm saying I *only* ate 3 servings at a time, but you gotta know that this is SO much better than what I would've done otherwise. It is an improvement and another example of trying to re-learn this behavior. "Just because I'm sick doesn't mean I get to eat anything I want." Next time will be even better!

Have a great week everyone! Please post often. It really does help us all to know we're not alone! :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Welcome Brittany & Wendy!

Thanks for inspirational post Stacey! Food for thought for sure -- "No taste on the tongue and not food in the stomach will appease inner yearnings, emotional longings, or spiritual emptiness. There is no getting around the need to do the work necessary to address these." ~ Victoria Moran, Fit From Within

I had a busy and eventful weekend so I did not have a binge on weekend. My weekend is classified as Friday night to Sunday night. I did well on Friday and Monday even though I was off work. I am using tips from here to get thru the mind set of eating out of boredom. I cleaned on Friday and Monday. Did some cooking for my lunch yesterday too.

The most awesome thing I want to share is my favorite Pizza joint had a special on yesterday and I fought it all day and I did not get the pizza. Me and my sister was going to go to the resturant, then I told her I really did not need to since i was cooking all of my healthy lunches and dinners for this week. Then about 6 oclock I wanted the pizza again......:-( So I tried calling in the pizza and I was not going to tell my sister. I was going to bring half of it to work and free it into 3 servings at least. Well I could not get thru until 8 30 and the guy told me to get a raincheck because they were not taking any more orders. I did go in and get the $10 gift card. So now I can have my single serving when I have a taste. That is my rule for pizza, to have someone to share it with or buy one slice--which is really 2 slices here in Chicago. At this place anyways it is 2 servings. And that is plenty and has satisfied me in pass also. Like if me and my Sis would have went, I would have ate what I would there and sent my part home with her to share with my parents.

I tell my Mom I gave it to her because I don't want my sister to keep it because she is obese and does not need it. Not that my parents do either but at least none of us will be overeating if we share a pizza. So I was glad that they ran out of the special and I have my gift card for future indulgences.

I went to a dance Saturday night and did not go back for 2nds and really mingled. And the scale rewarded me for keeping the binging down. I will record it on Thursday.

Have a good day all!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Welcome Brittany & Wendy!

Thanks for inspirational post Stacey! Food for thought for sure -- "No taste on the tongue and not food in the stomach will appease inner yearnings, emotional longings, or spiritual emptiness. There is no getting around the need to do the work necessary to address these." ~ Victoria Moran, Fit From Within

I had a busy and eventful weekend so I did not have a binge on weekend. My weekend is classified as Friday night to Sunday night. I did well on Friday and Monday even though I was off work. I am using tips from here to get thru the mind set of eating out of boredom. I cleaned on Friday and Monday. Did some cooking for my lunch yesterday too.

The most awesome thing I want to share is my favorite Pizza joint had a special on yesterday and I fought it all day and I did not get the pizza. Me and my sister was going to go to the resturant, then I told her I really did not need to since i was cooking all of my healthy lunches and dinners for this week. Then about 6 oclock I wanted the pizza again......:-( So I tried calling in the pizza and I was not going to tell my sister. I was going to bring half of it to work and free it into 3 servings at least. Well I could not get thru until 8 30 and the guy told me to get a raincheck because they were not taking any more orders. I did go in and get the $10 gift card. So now I can have my single serving when I have a taste. That is my rule for pizza, to have someone to share it with or buy one slice--which is really 2 slices here in Chicago. At this place anyways it is 2 servings. And that is plenty and has satisfied me in pass also. Like if me and my Sis would have went, I would have ate what I would there and sent my part home with her to share with my parents.

I tell my Mom I gave it to her because I don't want my sister to keep it because she is obese and does not need it. Not that my parents do either but at least none of us will be overeating if we share a pizza. So I was glad that they ran out of the special and I have my gift card for future indulgences.

I went to a dance Saturday night and did not go back for 2nds and really mingled. And the scale rewarded me for keeping the binging down. I will record it on Thursday.

Have a good day all!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    Oh Mollie, that was a great post. I enjoyed reading about your success, that is wonderful!
  • Krymsen
    Options
    Hey Mollie1037!

I can not tell you how many times I have done that picked up a food at a store and stand ther for what seems like for hours and end up putting back. I hear ya! But good for you!

I had a bad weekend and yesterday to because I was sick no working out, but today was great really starting to get a grip on stopping myself before I eat and figuring out when I'm hungry and when it is something else. Like today for example I started to eat then said ti myself why I'm I eating and it was because I was bored. So I stopped what I was doing and did something else.
    Pat on the back for that!

Anyway I hope all went well for everyone else take care,
    Melissa
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    @Melissa, a pat on the back indeed!

As for me, I'm hanging in there. Still pretty sick but not nearly as bad as yesterday. My throat is really sore. It's amazing how much I don't want to eat because it hurts going down. Except ice cream of course. LOL. Ice cream is really soothing (and I did buy fat free ice cream this time) on my throat. I need to take it easy for a while to regain my strength. I'm really weak. And the scale sure reflected that this morning. I was down 6.5lbs from my last weigh in. I know that is from being sick mostly so I'm not logging it, I'll wait another week and see where I leveled off.
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    This thread has inspired me so much. It has been one week since I last binged or ate anything in a crazy food frenzy. When I have snagged a bite of something off of my bfs plate or a leftover tupperware (MY WORST HABITS!!!) I have logged every last bite of it and I. Feel. Great! Eating less has me feeling a little bit more tired but I know that I can push through until I reach my goal weight/size and then mellow out the hardcore workouts and calorie restriction. Those last 10 lbs are the hardest right? Well I am going to beat them!

Keep up the good work everyone <3
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    Great job LOVEsummer! Thanks for posting! :flowerforyou:
  • Raina0512
    Options
    I suffer majorly from BED and occasional bulimia. I don't know if anyone can see my blogs but I'm in major need of some motivational words. Even reading this thread makes me want to binge. Not sure what I need to do or where I need to go from here... It's an awful battle and I feel sorry for anyone that has to go through this.
  • Krymsen
    Options
    Hey! LOVEsummer & Raina0512 Welcome

LOVEsummer I hear ya I'm about 15 pounds from my weight loss goal as well! I really want it badly I have been doing this for a year and half and I'm so tired of the whole thing. But I really want this weight loss goal and for the most important reason is to lose the weight and be happy and healthy. I'm really bad at eating my kids or hubby leftovers off their plates after they are done. But someone on here said to "waste it or waist it on my tummy and butt yuck" It really helped me.

I'm with ya with pushing to get off and only eating what I needed to get it off. But one thing we have to remember is it is a lifesyte change. So what I'm doing is really trying to learn how to eat heathly and workout for life. Now I'm not saying that it is bad to do weight loss a certain way do what works best for you.

But I think we can both help each other get to our goals, Lets check in with each other every couple of days to help push each other. Keep it up we Can Do This!!!!!!!!!! It will not be beat us.

Raina0512 Hang in there!

We are all here for you, don't give up you can do this hour by hour day by day. Try to find something to keep your mind off the food. That is my biggest problem keeping busy to keep my mind of food. Sometimes that is all I can think about.

Anyway find a hobby or help someone out. That's what I found really helped me was helping some else with what every they needed. Find what works for you and do it.

Also there is a Overeating website that really has helped me.They have meeting all over the world and online. Here is the link.

http://www.oa.org/meetings/find-a-meeting-online.php

Good luck

My day was not so good binged today but learned something from it, the food is so not worth eating it. I'm worth way more than the food. After the binge I really sat myself down and asked myself what is worth more the taste of food or my family and my life.

I can not believe food can take over so much of my life. I slip up but it matters what I do after it that counts. The rest of my day will be better and it has been.

We Can All do this Good luck to everyone else today,

Melissa
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    I suffer majorly from BED and occasional bulimia. I don't know if anyone can see my blogs but I'm in major need of some motivational words. Even reading this thread makes me want to binge. Not sure what I need to do or where I need to go from here... It's an awful battle and I feel sorry for anyone that has to go through this.

I know what you mean. Reading this thread makes me want to binge too and I haven't binged in years. I think sometimes when we talk about something a lot and/or think about something a lot it makes it that much harder to keep from doing that thing. My best advice is to stay active/keep busy. And send as much time as possible around people who have normal relationships with food. Don't keep "trigger" foods in the house either. If you're less likely to binge on fruit and veggies stock your fridge and cupboards with them. Not only will it keep you from binging at home but will be all around healthier for your body.

I had to train myself to slowly phase out the stuff that I liked to binge on. After you stop having it in the house and start eating more healthy foods your taste buds WILL change. And you will develop an actually dislike for the foods you used to find irresistible and binge worthy. I used to love cup cakes and could eat 4 or more in one sitting - after staying away from them for months I went to eat one again and found that it was so overpoweringly sweet that it burned the back of my throat. So goes with most other sugar loaded things now and even salty stuff. It's sugary and salty foods that are the most addicting and the most likely to trigger an average binge eater. Phase that junk out of your life and you will find yourself binging less and less until eventually you've broken that cycle.
  • lpollak
    Options
    Been through same thing and truly do understand. I just recently joined OA overeaters anonymous. I joined once before when I was in my mid twenties and I couldn't relate to the people or the concepts but now in middle age when my emotions are driving the eating and insanity about food that can't be explained, this concept of OA, based on AA actually makes sense. You might want to give it a try. Doesn't cost, nice group of people, all with the exact same issues as us all willing to help you through it. I've been reading some of their literature and it's so ME. Give it at try.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Been through same thing and truly do understand. I just recently joined OA overeaters anonymous. I joined once before when I was in my mid twenties and I couldn't relate to the people or the concepts but now in middle age when my emotions are driving the eating and insanity about food that can't be explained, this concept of OA, based on AA actually makes sense. You might want to give it a try. Doesn't cost, nice group of people, all with the exact same issues as us all willing to help you through it. I've been reading some of their literature and it's so ME. Give it at try.

This was almost my same experience. I went to a few OA meetings in my late 20's and thought this is too spiritual for me. I was very uncomfortable with the Higher Power language because I believe in God. So I went to about 2 or 3 meetings and stopped.

In 2004 I had weight loss surgery and thought this was do it. Even they the kept telling us it is just a tool. It did not matter one bit. So I had my surgery and lost 300 pounds. Then the honeymoon period was over and I had to do the work. I have did therphy off and on for what seems like a life time. 1st eating disorder group at age 23 or so. It helps but the problem will always be there but has to be controlled. So in 2007 I started gradually going back to old habits and over a 3 year period I had gained back 80 pounds from over eating. I still can not have a full fledge binge because of my surgery but I can graze which is the exact same result. I could not stop eating and unlike before I was not in denial because I had a scale. My program insisted I get one. So finally this year I went to a WLS dinner and had a melt down. I did not want to go but I wanted to face my demons. So I went and now I am glad I did. It was painful but I needed it. I realized so much from that experience. That I was not a filure and I had kept off over a 2 thirds of my weight but I had to find a resolution to my binge/grazing problem. My surgery was not a cure for my over eating.

Thru another site I learned about MFP and then the same site referred me back to OA. So in April I went OA and signed up for their online emails and I love it and what I once thought was too spiritual is no longer that. I get it and like you I read the book and that is ME. I am a COE. So I have noticed most people there are older meaning over 30. I think in your 20's you still may not get it to the full extent. Just an observation of mines on the age. So do give OA a try online and face to face meetings. I do them both.