Does anyone actually want help?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    If the question is something like, "Does everything I eat count?" or "Is standing exercise?" or "Does 'water' mean water?" I'd agree with you. But there are times when people come forward with advice derived from careful observation of their own patterns -- things which may not have been covered in a study -- and they are excoriated.

Muscle is heavier than fat.

Right?

example of boredom type responses referring to earlier
  • glendathurmond
    glendathurmond Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Choose your friends wisely.
    It is pretty obvious when people are buying into marketing tricks, and believe that weight loss can happen over night. Help them when you can and when they aren't responding appropriately, maybe we will see them around next year this time, a little more war-torn and prepared to listen to the voice of knowledge and reason. Hang in there, keep doing the right thing and know that you are making a difference to people who are ready for the truth.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Or do you more-so want to vent on these boards? Talk about fads that you cycle through, ask very specific impossible questions to answer in a paragraph, defend the protocol you follow although you may not be seeing ANY results..

As a fitness professional, i use MFP to help my clients stay accountable and to track my own macros. I occasionally visit the boards to help out, maybe clear up some confusion, answer questions etc...

Most of the time it seems like people dont really want to hear it? they dont want truths or accuracy. They want...sympathy.

Can anyone shed some light? or am i just being cynical

Personally, I want cold, harsh truth so that I can put it into action and improve.

A kick up the *kitten* propels you forward! :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Or do you more-so want to vent on these boards? Talk about fads that you cycle through, ask very specific impossible questions to answer in a paragraph, defend the protocol you follow although you may not be seeing ANY results..

As a fitness professional, i use MFP to help my clients stay accountable and to track my own macros. I occasionally visit the boards to help out, maybe clear up some confusion, answer questions etc...

Most of the time it seems like people dont really want to hear it? they dont want truths or accuracy. They want...sympathy.

I definitely want help but end up being more confused than before! I know most people mean well but the info is conflicting. I've received opposite information on the same thread such as Eat more. Eat less. Move more. Move less. Be more accurate with logging. Take a break from logging. Lift heavy. Do more cardio. Eat this. No, eat that. Eat whatever you want!

It's really, really difficult to understand who is genuinely trying to help vs. someone who is simply pushing an agenda. As such, the "truth" becomes very subjective.

Anyone that gets upset or assumes you don't want help when you don't immediately want to follow their plan, is pushing an agenda, though they might also think they are being helpful.

There is no one right answer. There are many ways to lose weight healthily.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If the question is something like, "Does everything I eat count?" or "Is standing exercise?" or "Does 'water' mean water?" I'd agree with you. But there are times when people come forward with advice derived from careful observation of their own patterns -- things which may not have been covered in a study -- and they are excoriated.

Muscle is heavier than fat.

Right?

more like Bcctoes dying because her muscles are going to atrophy because she doesn't lift progressively.

Poor, poor, weakling me. It's such a sad story, really. Walking around with dead muscles. It's no joke!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    We want OUR LEVEL of truth meaning if a beginner like me is reading the boards we are discerning whether or not the advice is practical for us. I know my strengths and weaknesses and if I see advice that fits me then yeah I will adhere. But if I see someone saying lift weights 3 days a week ... P90X 2 days...log calories and weigh your food!!!....Then of course you just lost me. Now everything they said is TRUTH and will work but hey that plan personally does not work for me. Just me 2 cents.

so you are saying logging calories and weighing food loses you??? I don't understand...

I was confused by this too... If someone says lift weights 3 days a week, and workout (cardio) 2 days a week, and count calories, you are lost? What lost you? And when you say that plan doesn't work for you, then what plan does? Not working out or counting calories? Hmm....

Why would you assume that because a person says that plan doesn't work for them that they don't want to do anything at all? Your response is exactly what I was talking about in my post. You're attacking this poster on a personal level by assuming they aren't dedicated, and you don't even know what she's confused about yet.

all, I did was ask a question as to how this would lose someone..I do not see how this is attaching...back off captain save an MFP'r on a white horse..geez

I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to the person below you. I like your posts.

oh my bad …and my apologies...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    We want OUR LEVEL of truth meaning if a beginner like me is reading the boards we are discerning whether or not the advice is practical for us. I know my strengths and weaknesses and if I see advice that fits me then yeah I will adhere. But if I see someone saying lift weights 3 days a week ... P90X 2 days...log calories and weigh your food!!!....Then of course you just lost me. Now everything they said is TRUTH and will work but hey that plan personally does not work for me. Just me 2 cents.

so you are saying logging calories and weighing food loses you??? I don't understand...

I was confused by this too... If someone says lift weights 3 days a week, and workout (cardio) 2 days a week, and count calories, you are lost? What lost you? And when you say that plan doesn't work for you, then what plan does? Not working out or counting calories? Hmm....

Why would you assume that because a person says that plan doesn't work for them that they don't want to do anything at all? Your response is exactly what I was talking about in my post. You're attacking this poster on a personal level by assuming they aren't dedicated, and you don't even know what she's confused about yet.

I was simply saying I have LOST interest in that plan because that would not be practical for ME right now. I currently do not have weights nor gym membership. I currently have a treadmill/dog a few workout tapes and MFP so if the workout is outside of my means then I have LOST interest.
    < did not have gym membership until two years ago ..I still worked out at home, ran, and watched my calories...

what about the logging and weighing food? Is that not practical either?

She's too new to separate the "move, measure, log" part from the "P90x, lift barbells, buy food scale." part.

I think she means when things are really specific and not something she can do based her resources, she loses interest in the thread. I don't think she means she loses interest in exercise and logging. For example, if a question about eating turns into a discussion about low carb or Paleo, it "loses" her because it's outside of what is realistic for her.

They know exactly what I mean.... Just LOST interest in this thread...Headed to walk my dog.

do you log walking the dog?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    289lf07.jpg
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the OP found the answer she was looking for?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

See page 5. :ohwell:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

See page 5. :ohwell:

Ah. So that's a no then.

I still contend most people don't really want to hear what they deep down already know: eat less/move more. Add in time and patience and you've got it.

Please make all cheques payable to Jimmer (2 m's). Thanks.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    ^^^note to noobs. This works. Eating nothing and/or exercising constantly doesn't. Find a balance.
  • angel1776
    angel1776 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    agreed
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

You are right on, which is why I've been venturing more to the groups here. They are much more structured, less crazy, and certainly less 'help me loose (yes, "loose" is used A LOT instead of "lose) 40 pounds in one month!".

Sometimes people to into denial about why they gain weight in the first place--usually from eating too much food. I know I was there too, but I never complained about it on the board because I know what causes me to gain weight.

I am tickled pink that so many health professionals know bout the MFP tools. My beau uses MFP logging too, but he'd also heard about it from his nutritionist.
  • Ninja_Bunny
    Ninja_Bunny Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think you are spot on!!! By the by I am always willing for advice :)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I think you are spot on!!! By the by I am always willing for advice :)

Do NOT eat yellow snow
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Man...got on this thread hoping to see some typical MFP forum anger/rage/weeping/soap opera drama...*sigh* I am disappoint.

tumblr_inline_mls5uzpvjX1qz4rgp.gif