Looking to add people on 1200 calories a day

Options

Replies

• DPKlue
    DPKlue Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a 1200 cal goal too! Just started using this app jan 1st, LOVE IT! Hope it will really work for me! Would love to add some friends!
  • JasEnri2014
    Options
    Hello All,
    1200 calories a day here 2. Although im a little confused as if this is right or wrong. I have been doing some research and according to a few webs. 1200 is where i should be. I recently started doing p90x and i feel 1200 is a lot of food for me. Does anyone have or has had the same issue? Can somone please help me?

Thanks guys I appreciate any help i can get. Id really like to make sure im doing thinngs right. :)

Have a great day to you All.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Hello All,
    1200 calories a day here 2. Although im a little confused as if this is right or wrong. I have been doing some research and according to a few webs. 1200 is where i should be. I recently started doing p90x and i feel 1200 is a lot of food for me. Does anyone have or has had the same issue? Can somone please help me?

Thanks guys I appreciate any help i can get. Id really like to make sure im doing thinngs right. :)

Uhm.... someone might need some more stats than that to even try to answer your question. So far, all I see is you're 27 years old,
    Female and want to lose 26 lbs.

Check these links for more help.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161976-adopt-a-noob-official-mfp-thread
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    "Energy needs for your body's basic functions stay fairly consistent and aren't easily changed. Your basal metabolic rate accounts for about 60 to 75 percent of the calories you burn every day.

In addition to your basal metabolic rate, two other factors determine how many calories your body burns each day:

Food processing (thermogenesis). Digesting, absorbing, transporting and storing the food you consume also takes calories. This accounts for about 10 percent of the calories used each day. For the most part, your body's energy requirement to process food stays relatively steady and isn't easily changed.
    Physical activity. Physical activity and exercise — such as playing tennis, walking to the store, chasing after the dog and any other movement — account for the rest of the calories your body burns up each day. Physical activity is by far the most variable of the factors that determine how many calories you burn each day."

http://www.mayoclinic.org/metabolism/ART-20046508

So, you need to add 10% to account for food processing and another 5-10% to account for things like walking to the restroom and sitting.
  • JasEnri2014
    Options
    Thank you. Sorry im new to this and i didnt know what info to input.

Yes im 27 going to be 28 soon. Im 5"6 and weight my self a few days ago 151lbs. I think for me it was one of those where i didnt realize i had gained 20 something lbs in a short amount of time. It might sound weird that i didnt notice but i have been a Yo-yo person all my life gain/ loss so it was normal until i actully saw the numbers.

I work in an office setting and didnt work out until 5 days ago. I first juiced for 5 days and gradually started a diet regular food. My diet consist on fruits,veggies,chicken really trying to keep it toghether and not give in to the bad food. Im hoping i can keep this up so far it hasnt been hard but the work out is. Hopefully i can make my goal. Tone and slim but def healthy and happy. :)

I really appreciate the webs you sent me i will look into this.Thanks have a great day!
  • rubystarstone
    Options
    Add me :) I lost weight on 1200 calories a day about a year ago however gained it back and some because of an undisciplined few months. Looking for support, to support others, and ideas, tips and tricks on how to get back on track!
  • Coral_mist
    Options
    I am also on 1200 a day and new here. Id like to get ideas as well so people please add me :smile:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    "Energy needs for your body's basic functions stay fairly consistent and aren't easily changed. Your basal metabolic rate accounts for about 60 to 75 percent of the calories you burn every day.

In addition to your basal metabolic rate, two other factors determine how many calories your body burns each day:

Food processing (thermogenesis). Digesting, absorbing, transporting and storing the food you consume also takes calories. This accounts for about 10 percent of the calories used each day. For the most part, your body's energy requirement to process food stays relatively steady and isn't easily changed.
    Physical activity. Physical activity and exercise — such as playing tennis, walking to the store, chasing after the dog and any other movement — account for the rest of the calories your body burns up each day. Physical activity is by far the most variable of the factors that determine how many calories you burn each day."

http://www.mayoclinic.org/metabolism/ART-20046508

So, you need to add 10% to account for food processing and another 5-10% to account for things like walking to the restroom and sitting.

You missed the most important part of that article-

"Unfortunately, weight gain is most commonly the result of eating more calories than you burn. To lose weight, then, you need to create an energy deficit by eating fewer calories, increasing the number of calories you burn through physical activity, or both. "
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I have never understood why people want to do 1200 when it is not necessary. Everyone is different, every one should have different goals.

Every person I know who did 1200, failed. Every last one of them. I lost 40 on 1480 and ate back my calories. I gained back a portion, due to stress eating. But I am darn sure not going to do anything close to 1200. It is just not necessary.

1200 is just a default number in MFP that cannot go lower.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    I have never understood why people want to do 1200 when it is not necessary. Everyone is different, every one should have different goals.

Every person I know who did 1200, failed. Every last one of them. I lost 40 on 1480 and ate back my calories. I gained back a portion, due to stress eating. But I am darn sure not going to do anything close to 1200. It is just not necessary.

1200 is just a default number in MFP that cannot go lower.
  • gerry_jamison
    gerry_jamison Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Starting 1200 tomorrow, feel free to add me!
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    Thank you. Sorry im new to this and i didnt know what info to input.

Yes im 27 going to be 28 soon. Im 5"6 and weight my self a few days ago 151lbs. I think for me it was one of those where i didnt realize i had gained 20 something lbs in a short amount of time. It might sound weird that i didnt notice but i have been a Yo-yo person all my life gain/ loss so it was normal until i actully saw the numbers.

I work in an office setting and didnt work out until 5 days ago. I first juiced for 5 days and gradually started a diet regular food. My diet consist on fruits,veggies,chicken really trying to keep it toghether and not give in to the bad food. Im hoping i can keep this up so far it hasnt been hard but the work out is. Hopefully i can make my goal. Tone and slim but def healthy and happy. :)

I really appreciate the webs you sent me i will look into this.Thanks have a great day!

First of all, my disclaimer...
    Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.

That said... I calculated your BMR if you sleep 8 hours a night, and don't really move at all the other 16 hrs at 1495... which we could round to 1500 for convenience. First of all, you should calculate it yourself, don't take my word for it. Then set up your diary, if you haven't already.

If you set your goal for 0.5 lb loss per week, which I think would be fine for you. You said yourself that you want to be 'healthy and happy.' You don't have alot of weight to lose, so slow and steady will get you where you want to go. Surprisingly to me.... if my initial BMR calculation is right, then, at a 250 calorie deficit per day to lose 0.5 lbs per week, you'd be looking at 1250 calories.

That's NET calories per day. That means eat your exercise calories back. I've never done p90X, but I hear it's an *kitten*-kicking workout. So, if you're eating a total of 1200 calories per day, and doing P90X.... you're probably not eating enough.

This thread is going to roll over when the 20th page is full....

Please check the links I posted earlier.... There's probably a link to the 'why am I not losing weight' thread in the 'sexypants' thread... which would be very good reading as well, regarding accuracy of your logging, calories in / calories out.

You could start your own thread with your questions, where you'd draw more attention, and answers.

And, if you want, you can send me a FR, I'd be glad to try to help you as much as I can. I did some juice myself, and I try to eat as much greens as possible, so we may have a few dietary things in common.

( Assuming you are as sane as you seem. :smile: )
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

I'm assuming this is your first time doing P90X. Follow the nutrition guide that comes with it. It walks you through how to calculate the calorie goal you should be hitting. You can do 1200 calories or you can do P90X, but you can't do both at the same time, I promise you. You are going to burn a LOT of calories six days a week and that takes fuel. I've done it twice and if you don't eat enough you are going to bonk.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    bump

I just want this off my feed
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    bump

I just want this off my feed
  • uhaveharmony
    Options
    I'm on 1200 and looking for support as well, add me :)
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    And..... I think this will flip it......

-KISS-Rock-N-Roll-Over-kiss-27901598-300-300.gif
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    And...... we're back.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    OP eats 1200 calories a day and would like more friends. Her profile is here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/user/slim_strategy/status

It was suggested that people not jump blindly into 1200 calories a day without giving it some thought. Some people really should eat 1200 calories a day. Others really should not.

The discussion that ensued is worth a quick read, especially if MFP has given you 1200 as a limit and you're wondering if it's right for you.

Some good links:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1162141-eating-for-health-is-eating-enough-to-support-your-activity
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ ***but remember, all calculators are just estimates***
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Highlights of my thoughts (from the previous part):

Many people, understandably so, in a rush to reach their goal weight as quickly as possible (because this time they're serious), immediately go straight to the *fewest* calories possible without causing themselves immediate obvious damage.

It is far more optimal (IMHO), for many reasons, instead to find the *most* calories possible while still making satisfactory progress towards their goals. Reasons include more energy (which means more productive workouts and an overall better life), better long-term adherence, higher likelihood to reach minimum micro and macro goals, better body composition at goal (by reducing muscle loss), better flexibility to overcome plateaus/"sticking points", etc.

To be certain, my motivation for posting in this thread almost entirely has nothing to do with OP. Oh, sure, if she is helped by it, then bonus, but she is just one person. I post in threads like this to help the hundreds...maybe thousands...of others who read it...even the ones who initially dismiss it.

Actually, *especially* the ones who initially dismiss it, because they are the ones who are likely to be helped most...for when they've tried the *maximum deficit possible* approach and find themselves miserable, perhaps they'll remember that there was another way...seemingly less popular amidst the chorus of "1200 works for me!", but possibly another way...and then maybe they'll try it...and then maybe next year, they too will spread the word that the *most* deficit isn't always the *best* deficit.

However, I'd actually take this recommendation a step further and say that ideally, someone just starting this process should spend at least a week just accurately (w/ measuring cups and scale) and consistently tracking their normal intake. Use that as a starting point for possible TDEE. Reduce that by 10-20% (depending on how far from goal you're starting) and use that as your target for 4-6+ weeks. Evaluate your progress towards goal at the end of that block and make adjustments as necessary. (Pro-tip: Don't be misled by changes that occur in the first week or two of reducing calories. These are bogus and have almost nothing to do with fat loss. Similarly, don't be misled by changes that occur in the first week or two of starting a new/more intense exercise program. These are also bogus and have almost nothing to do with muscle gain.)

All online TDEE calculators are estimates. They're a fine starting point, but shouldn't be relied on as absolute truth. Minor adjustments are essential to optimizing progress towards goal. And these adjustments are either plus or minus. I'm a firm believer that maximizing calories in while still making satisfactory progress towards goal is ideal.

While I agree that "support" is important for many people, I disagree that it's the most important. I would argue that setting an appropriate calorie target and consistently and accurately measuring those calories are far more important to achieving success.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    @jof- this is an amazing post. Very respectful, intelligent, and informative.

You have officially been moved from my 'kind of a jerk' list to the 'this guy knows what he is talking about' list. :flowerforyou: