40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• bitshred
    bitshred Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi folks. I'm 44, and up in Wisconsin, where the temp is now dropping to -20F tonight.
    Speaking of dropping, I'd like to drop about 20 - 25 pounds by summer at least.
    I've always exercised a lot, but recently let myself go a little. My pants don't fit, always fall down because of my gut pushing on them, very annoying. Time to back to my high school/college size....... ;)
  • NickyDiam
    NickyDiam Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow 40somethingers. I've been at this for just over a year and my aim is to get to goal by the end of this year. And at age 44 going on 45 it looks like I've found the right group to guide me to success.
  • fitmom7498
    fitmom7498 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 with about 20 lbs to lose. I had started
    In the summer with success, and began feeling much better then the "holidays"...at least I didn't gain weight. Now time to get ready for summer. I'd like to add in some workouts using the weight machines at the gym, I've only been going to classes with my membership so far. Are there any apps with simple routein. I don't have$$$ for a trainer.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,955 Member
    Options
    Hi to all the newcomers....hope you stick around!!

I do get to lift, today, but not until later as I have a lunch-time teleconference.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: How are you this cold morning??? :noway: Glad to see so many new faces, let's motivate each other!!

Still no "structured" workout since Jan 1. But I am participating in three challenges now! So that keeps me pretty busy and of course teaching Zumba. One thing I have kept up since Jan 1 is my nutrition. I have been eating very healthy and logging in. :drinker: That is the toughest for me so I feel pretty good about it.

fitmom, not so sure about an app but there are tons of good videos in youtube. I am doing a challenge now with idealshape.com. It is a 90 day challenge and they will send you the videos to your email and do them in the order they recommend. They are not very long so you might want to add something else. Good luck!!

Post away!!! :flowerforyou:
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Welcome all the new comers!! Stick around.. we're a fun group!!

Worked out at home this morning- hubby had a dentist appointment and needed the car. (He's retired so we share) Our "Biggest Loser" challenge starts this week at work. I will be weighing in on Wednesday. I am also changing up my gym days from Monday, Thurs, Sat to Monday, Wednesd, Friday and probably Saturday too. Then home workouts on Tuesday, Thursday as Jake's days with us have changed to Tuesday/Thursday. (He is going to spend one day a week with some other kiddos his age. He really enjoys being around other kids so it is good for him.) Sundays will be a definite rest day and I will take another during the week if I need it, but I really want to ramp up the exercise a bit so hopefully I can keep up with the schedule.

Have a great rest of the day!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    alf, 3 challenges should keep you pretty honest, I'd say, lol!! I'm participating in 2 - 1 is just for the month of January....I think the other one runs until mid-April (can't remember!!).

KellySue - yep, kids need kids their own age as they grow. So, glad to read you're being flexible with your Grand!!

Got my lifting in-and-done.

BOOM!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Hey all. Checking in. Did 4 miles on the treadmill this morning. I got upper body weights tonight. I am increasing my food intake slightly as I slightly dropped my weight loss goals. Hopefully that will give me some energy. Had a fellow runner in church say to me Sunday that I was shrinking to nothing. lol

OK! I hope you all do good. I will see if I can check back in tommorow.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    lots of new faces!! Hello to all =)

alf - Daisy Duke is the supposed workout that Jessica Simpson did to get into those short shorts she wore in the Dukes of Hazzard movie a few years back. It's essentially 3 circuits of 4 exercises sandwiched in between treadmill running. I do it on the weekend as it's 90 minutes in total and it's pretty kick *kitten*!

KellySue - get it in when you can, that's awesome! Jake really does need that social interaction for sure. It will be so good for him!

Sto - good idea... HM training and weight work needs fuel. period. Maintenance should be a happy place for you and you'll no doubt still drop body fat as you continue training.

I got out skating yesterday, was beautiful, sunny -6 in the afternoon. Today is chest & arms with some jump rope after work.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Last weigh in tomorrow for the Holiday challenge. I took 60 minute TRX followed by Extreme Fit. I was covered head to toe in sweat tonight. What a rush......

Hope all of you are well and in good spirits.

We are experiencing some very cold weather. Tomorrow's high is only 4degrees.

Have a great night everyone.
  • astronut96
    astronut96 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! I actually got up and got my workout in before work this morning! Felt so good to know that it was done and anything else that I do is bonus. Now I just need to do it again tomorrow.

Whatabroad - wow, skating in -6 degree weather! You are a better woman than I! :tongue: I've been in Houston for over 30 years now so my blood is thin and I stay in as much as possible when it hits the 30s here lol
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    GOOD MORNING!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: After reading the temps for some of you I don't feel bad that it is in the 20's here. :laugh: I got my workouts in this morning!!! Yeah!! Very busy day!

astronut, way to go!!!!! :drinker: Yes, tomorrow, REPEAT!!! :laugh: :wink:

whatabroad, I want to go skating!!! but not in -6 weather. Yes, you are brave!!! Daisy Duke workout sounds like fun!!!

Caramelgyrl, awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker:

Off to work I go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take care! :flowerforyou:
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Cool Kids! Got my aerobics in this morning. Will be hitting the gym for strength training tomorrow. The air temp is 1(f) here this morning, but with wind chill it is -20. Very cold!

My daughter didn't have to go to work as all of the schools in the area are closed, so Jake stayed home. I am going to go see them on my lunch break since they are right down the street from where I work. Yeah!

Tomorrow is my weigh in day for our "Biggest Loser" challenge here at work. Should be interesting. Let's see how I place this year. I have a rep to live up to you, ya know! (2nd place last year)LOL! :bigsmile:
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    i'd like to join your club. I don't know if i am cool, but i could sure use the encouragement
  • JanisMay67
    Options
    Woohoo - didn't notice you in the clubs section - but please may I join you?

Long way to go - and some well needed mutual support will be much appreciated.
  • spetermann190
    spetermann190 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    9 more iterations of this thread and the 50+ club where the cool kids will be ... Still 41 going on 30 here :) And Still refusing to grow up!
  • carolhama
    Options
    I have joined MFP 3 days ago. Enough is Enough. I have 50 - 60 lbs to lose. I am worried about exercise as I have two herniated discs (from two years ago), still causing me major pain. Also degenerative sacroiliac joint (hip) that is problematic. Any suggestions on how to exercise without killing myself.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all of the newbies, it's only 3 degrees here and when I tell you I have never been so cold in my life, I mean that.

Last night I took TRX and then took extreme fit. It was 120 minutes of torture, yet I would have it no other way. Today I will walk for about 30-45 minutes in the building and some light weights.

I believe we all can achieve, if we just take the first step.

Hope all of you have an awesome day.

Hugs...KYM
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hi to newbies! Hi to vets!! Good luck in your weigh-in, kellysue....I don't think you NEED to lose the same poundage that you did a year ago, but if THIS challenge totally motivates you to push-off the remaining weight, then I say GO FOR IT!!

I think it's totally funny at all the "complaining" I'm seeing about the "polar vortex"....still sissy numbers as far as I'm concerned!! It will be fine and everybody will survive and the apocalypse isn't coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOM!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday morning cool kids.

Welcome newcomers! Wow, there is quite a group.

Alf - welcome back. I have been on here intermittently lately, but I am hanging in.
    WE got a huge dumping of snow this past weekend, so husband and I went out snowshoeing on Sunday. It finally warmed up enough to play outside. We had a grueling 2 hour hike - breaking trail in the thigh deep snow in some places. The poor dog (140lb Alaskan malamute) was having a hard time not sinking - even with us breaking trail in front of him! Felt so good to do it though.
    Temps plummeted again Sunday night, and we are once again in a deep freeze, so have been relegated to running on the dreadmill.
    Florida is going to feel wonderful next week!
    Running has not been going well, although I keep trying. I am struggling to get my miles in. Am not sure how I'm going to do in my half marathon - guess it is going to be a walk/run. I am going to enjoy myself though, Despite my lack of training, I am going to enjoy the day...and the warm weather (I hope)

I have decided to hire a personal trainer. She is online (my gf sees her in person regularly and highly recommends her). We have had some preliminary discussion and have agreed that I should start when I am back from Florida. She will create a meal plan and workout schedule for me (mainly weight training). I will have daily check ins with her which should help keep me accountable. How silly that at this age, I still need that accountability otherwise I get lazy and fall off, but it is what it is! We are going to try it in 4 wk blocks to see how it goes.