40+ Club: Fall Fitness Fanatics

Options

Replies

• cef957
    cef957 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    daybyday - NICE JOB! WAHOO!

I fell off the wagon this weekend...only lost 0.4lbs for the week. The halloween candy, family birthday party, and a whopper did me in yesterday! I was good with the exercise......So I guess for maintaining I can eat like a pig but I must exercise.....I have also figured out that to loose weight carbs are my enemy (ok along with candy, wine and whoppers!)

Back on the wagon today! I am going to be great with eating till Thanksgiving! Hopefully a few more will drop!
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,787 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Not the best weekend in terms of eating for me, but we were running around so much, it doesn't really seem to have mattered. I'm determined to get my eating back on track this week.....not because I feel like I need to but because I want to. I have no doubt I'll have more energy and such when I start to eat better, and I'm ready for that again. Got a good workout in yesterday and went for a long walk, so all is still well with the working out. Thank goodness I have discipline with that!! Just wish I could say the same about eating. Oh, well.

cef957, I have a similar problem with processed carbs. They make me puffy. I can eat complex carbs and be fine, but processed and/or simple carbs kill me. And alcohol is the absolute worst thing for me when I'm trying to lose weight. Good for you in recognizing that, and don't worry about one less-than-ideal weekend. And a half pound loss is still a lose so YAY!!

daybyday, that's terrific!!!! Congrats on completing that race!!!!! :drinker:

alf, I know you are on a ship right now, but in case you read this, I echo everything singfree said about the scale and how to determine how you are doing. I can really tell by how I feel, how I look and how my clothes are fitting. As singfree said, if I like how I look in the mirror, who cares what the scale says? I know I will only like how I look as long as I stay a healthy weight but who cares if that healthy weight is 110 or 115? I mean, they are both healthy weights so does the five pounds really matter as long as I'm happy with how I look? No, it doesn't....not at all. Since I've tossed the scale aside, I really have become adept at figuring out when I'm putting on a few by how my body feels as well. It's really a liberating feeling not to feel accountable to a scale anymore, and I'm finding it MUCH easier to maintain my weight than I did when I was stepping on the scale for more reasons than I can really outline here. But let's just say that the mental aspect of trying to stay a specific weight really took a toll on me and resulted in alot of yo-yo-ing with my eating (this happened about a year ago for a number of months where I would deprive myself for weeks and then binge), and that wasn't good. This system is working much better for me.

singfree, glad you got a chance to enjoy some beer, even if you didn't go to the German club. I didn't get my wine on Friday (we were out late trying to take care of some business on the house) but finally got a glass late on Saturday night. It tasted SO good in our nearly-finished new home!

pepper, I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt and your husband's job. :flowerforyou: Sounds like you aren't letting that impact your eating or your fitness. Good for you! Congrats on your weight loss. Take care of yourself during this stressful time.

mk, sorry to hear you weren't feeling well last week, but congrats on the weight loss! Snacking can be a killer when it comes to weight loss, so good job at figuring out a healthier way of doing that. I try not to snack at all, and it seems to help. But I also know that many people prefer eating throughout the day as opposed to three big meals (which is what I do). As long as you make those snacks healthy, you should be good.

Off to do a tough upper body workout and some cardio! Hope you all have a great day.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hi All. I'd say happy Monday, but looking at the freezing rain and sleet coming down right now does not make me feel too happy on this first day of the week.......it is way too early in the season for this. No snow tires yet.... where is my scraper...better get prepared!

I haven't fully caught up on all the posts as I have been away for a few days but will a little later today.....

Pepper--so sorry about your aunt --sounds like she has been through so much already. And your husbands job--It's definitely hard at this stage of life. I have found though (a total cliche...) but sometimes things happen that may not be your decision, but they tend to be the right ones in the long run. Let's hope he now can take the time to find a job that he enjoys much more.

Alf, Sing and Stiring--I have gone back to not weighing myself, I think it has been 3 or 4 weeks now and sing the praises of this method as well. I don't obsess anymore at all and feel I'm much healthier in the head because of it.

Daybyday--you are too funny; as the only one in the age group and the winner.... Congrats on running the 5K!

I had a big eating weekend. I visited a girlfriend of mine and we had a major chat-fest complete with 4 kinds of delicious Vermont cheeses, salamis, lots of wine. A brunch the next morning (crab cake Benedict w/truffle-Parmesan fries...what was I thinking?). It wasn't helpful that yesterday was my rest day from my workout so my calorie overages are huge. I hope to have a very, very good eating week coming up. I think exercise has been saving me lately--luckily I have been on track. But, need to go do it now!

Take care everyone!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Stiring and kadetr, I'm glad that you are staying sane while not weighing yourselves. Yes, Stiring, it IS liberating when you throw away the scale! After a while we acqure all the tools necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle. The problem lies between our ears, not on a stupid scale. Let's start a revolution...a NO Scale revolution...somehow I think it won't catch on. Sadly, food is not the only obsession here. It's kinda like my investment and retirement portfolios. When the market is doing well, I check my funds just about every day. When there is a down day, I get really bummed out. Now that I can dimly see retirement on the horizon, it is an all-encompassing quest for me to grow my money so that, just maybe, I can retire early...one can dream..........

It's now 5 am and I'm going home in an hour. I'm getting pretty tired right about now. My dear wife will be serving up a nice bowl of oatmeal (with craisins and almonds) when I get home. When I wake up this afternoon I'd like to take a nice hike up the mountain for some exercise. The late fall air is getting crisp and the smell of decaying leaves is in the air. I'm not really looking forward to winter, so I'll just hang on to fall for a while. Speaking of which, I can't believe we are only 2 weeks from Turkey Day!! We will have our big dinner on "Black Friday", since our son is a FDNY firefighter in New York City and will have to work on Thursday. Our grandson will probably be with him as well. We don't mind, though. On Thanksgiving we will make a nice hot soup and have a salad and some fresh bread and open a good bottle of wine, and perhaps go to a movie. I would NEVER go to a store on Black Friday.

Hopefully my I've bought my last string of Christmas Tree lights for a long time. We finally made the switch to LED lights, which are supposed to last for many years. It seems like I need to buy tree lights every year because they magically go bad as soon as we put them on the tree!!! We always get a "real" tree at a tree farm nearby. Our area has a lot of tree farms, so getting a nice healthy tree at a reasonable price is no problem. After the holidays the trees are then recycled for mulch or used in a variety of other ways.

Well, that's all, folks!!! See y'all tomorrow!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    kadetr, I'm glad you've found it a good thing to rid yourself of the scale as well. Like you said, for me it hasn't made much difference in my waist, but it has made all of the difference in the world in my head. That's a really good thing. Don't worry about the eating right now. I have no doubt you'll get back on track. We all go through stages like that at times.

singfree, sorry to hear about the long night again. I hope you get out later today. I've been trying to take a walk nearly every day since we've been here in Virginia......getting to know the area AND enjoying this beautiful autumn weather. The leaves are still in the process of changing here, and I'm really enjoying that. Yesterday I went for a walk and it was so warm that there were grasshoppers everywhere! I'm not used to grasshoppers in November, so that surprised me. Not my favorite bug for sure. I think I'll walk a different path today. I, too, can't believe Thanksgiving is two weeks away. My husband and I will be celebrating it at home for the first time in five years (he's had work obligations on the day for those years), and I've been planning our meal. Since it will most likely be just the two of us, I'm trying to make it a reasonable meal but also a meal that feels like Thanksgiving. I've found some good recipes, and I'm looking forward to the day. I'm not going to count calories on Thanksgiving.....but I'm also not going to be stupid with the meal I'm making.

All here is well. I'm beginning to feel that the chocolate consumption is catching up with me, so I really need to get back on track with my eating. My workouts are going well, and I'm feeling stronger and stronger with each strength training workout I do. I'm almost back to where I was before we left Korea. Today I'm going to do a tough cardio bootcamp-style workout followed by some good stretching. And, of course, I'm going to try to go for that long walk this afternoon.

I hope you all have a great day!
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Happy Tuesday All!

Alf: I am getting a headache after Zumba, I realized that I've had it at least two weeks in a row. Not sure if I can do anything about it, certainly it isn't bad enough to give up Zumba. I'm having fun, and it pushes me more than I would push myself. One of my girlfriends from work came with me last night, and she's quite fit and slender, and she was saying how sore she was going to be after.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Hi!! Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes and encouragement! Didn't mean to greet & vanish:tongue:

I wasn't great this weekend...ok Friday was great, I did a long cardio workout and ate well.

Saturday some friends and I rented a limo and spent the day touring wineries. So...needless to say that was a bust lol. Sunday wasn't too bad eating-wise, but the roaring hangover kept me on the couch all day. I did make some nice turkey chili though..I love a pot full of lean protein and veggies! Plus I made enough for lunch this whole week and a big bowl in the freezer. And I hate lowfat cheese, but I think light sour cream is delicious.

Yesterday my eating was great and I did my situps and 65 min on the treadmill. I ran for 3 min at 5.5, then 3 min walk, then 2 min run then walk, then 1 min run then walk, then repeat at 5.2 and then again at 5.0. So that was great! I felt really good about it except for the hobbling around part today.

Tonight is a bday party at a Mexican restaurant/bar. I really want to try to not drink but their sangria is so good. Hopefully after New Year's I can be a recluse for a while.
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Just a quick check in .............been hurting again the last few days :frown:

We went for long motorcycle ride Saturday afternoon and it got really windy. Balancing on the back of the bike in the wind made my back and shoulder start spasming, so I was really hurting by the time we got home. Took a hot shower, had my husband rub Aspercreme (like Ben Gay, but it doesn't stink) on my back and shoulder, bummed one of his valiums (for his back problems) then planted myself in the recliner with the massaging heating pads for the evening. Sunday morning felt better, but was hurting again by the end of the day. Yesterday morning got up and was already hurting before I got to work. :grumble: :grumble: Got in to see the chiropractor in the morning, but couldn't work out (yet again) last night. Chiropractor says not to work out the same day as an adjustment, which makes sense. Spent the evening once again planted in my recliner with the massaging heating pads (no valium this time) and actually feel pretty decent today. Going to try to work out tonight - may end up regretting it, but already have another chiropractor's appt scheduled for Thursday. I am SO TIRED of all of this - and have no clue what to do differently to prevent the back and shoulder from going crazy!! I do everything ergonomically possible to prevent the upper back strain, but it's been a recurring problem off and on for the past 10 years, but the past year has really stunk!:grumble: :grumble:

Thanks for letting me vent................as you can tell I'm more than a little frustrated!
    Marla
  • Texssippian
    Options
    Hi all. Finally back in town and caught up on things to have time to read through the thread. Was outside of Chicago Wed through Fri and then was in Austin on Sat and Sun. I will actually be home this weekend which is good because I have to finish sewing my niece's baptism dress. I leave for Mississippi next Thursday for my mom's 80th birthday and my niece's baptism.

Sing: Congrats on selling your mom's house. My mother-in-law's house sold in two days after she decided to sell it and move in with us. We had to scramble to sell our house and find a house big enough for all of us.

Stiring: Glad you are getting all your stuff back! Enjoy DC!

Cef957: I wish we had taken our kids to DC when they were younger, although there were years in the teenage times when that would have been a huge disaster. Now that they are 21 and 26 they are so much nicer to travel with. Say hello to my friend the Hope Diamond when you go.

MK; Sorry to hear about your back and shoulders. Are you doing lots of pilates and core work? That should help in the long run.

Pepper: so sorry to hear about your husband and your aunt.

Day by Day: Congrats on the 5k!

Zebras: I bought new shoes for Zumba because I was sliding all over the place. I wore the shoes on Halloween. At the end of the evening, we bring everything inside so no "goblins" will take anything. One of the big pumpkins had started rotting. When I picked it up, it pumpkined all down my leg and on my new shoe. I now have a big orange spot on the top of the shoe. Hopefully, they will not throw me out of class...

I am now working toward a real triathlon in the spring. Will let you know how the training goes.

Take care all! TxMs
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Good Morning all!

zebras, are you well hydrated when you are doing Zumba? I'm trying to think of reasons you might be getting a headache, and when you mentioned that you push yourself harder than normal, I'm wondering if you are getting enough water/food to sustain the workout. You could also be over-exerting, which can cause a headache as well. So make sure you are monitoring yourself and not pushing yourself too hard. If you don't think that's the cause, then it could be due to poor posture during the workouts. For instance, are you having to turn your head alot to watch the instructor? Those are just some thoughts, but if it continues, you might want to talk to a medical professional about it. :flowerforyou:

sofaking6, good to see you back! Sounds like you are doing well despite some hiccups in the road. The key to those hiccups is to get back on track when you can, and it sounds like you are doing just that. This is a tough time of year to contemplate weight loss, so I'm taking fellow-poster cardigirl's advise and making my goal for the remainder of the year to be simply not to gain weight.

mkwood, I'm so sorry to hear about the continuing pain. I'm sure you've seen a doctor about it. What did they say? Would trying to strengthen those muscles help or hurt the situation? That's the only thing I can think of (because that's how I've managed to reduce my lower back pain), but if your situation is due to spinal issues and such, that may not work at all. I hope there is something that can help you because living with chronic pain is absolutely no fun at all. :flowerforyou:

TxMs, welcome back!! You sure have been on the road alot lately, haven't you? Training for a triathlon? WOW!!!!! Congrats on that! Please let us know what you are doing to train for it and how it is going. I'll be cheering you on. :drinker:

Off to do a lower body workout this morning and some cardio. We are still enjoying great weather, so I'll probably try to get out for another long walk this afternoon. I talked to my sister who is in Colorado last night, and it was snowing there. It served as a reminder that winter is on its way, and I better enjoy these beautiful days while we have them. Tomorrow my husband and I are going into DC to attend some Veteran's Day celebrations so I don't know if I'll be around here or not. But I'll try.....

Hope you all have a great day!
  • zebras
    Options
    Tex: So sorry to hear about your new shoes for Zumba got dirty right off the bat. That's like with me, everytime I buy a new top, I usually managed to get my lunch all over the day I wear it. I bought new Asics sneakers myself for Zumba, since I couldn't find 1/2 of my better pair of sneakers, and the ones I was using didn't have enough support. I was getting cramps in my arches.

Stiring: I am definitely well-hydrated, and well-fed too. LOL On top of drinking above the average amounts of water all day, I keep a bottle of water nearby during the class, and have some between every song. I could be over exerting, because the last couple of weeks Zumba was the only workout I was getting with nothing in between, I'm making the effort this week to fix that, and I did an hour on the treadmill last night and more is schedule for tonight!
  • pepper06
    Options
    thanks Kadeter and Stiring for your concerns....my aunt is still in the hospital unable to talk-thought she would be home by now, but something must have delayed it. The good news with my husband......he joined the gym!!!!!:laugh: and he is actually going-can't believe it(finally won him over, and my son started going bk). He did the arch trainer w/me the other day and said you must be in better shape than I if you thought that was easy to do(I was doing a 1/2 hr after my core class). I really hope he looses some weight. I have never known him to join a gym, so this is a big plus! We are being optimistic about the job situation-he went to a meeting last night of about 50 people and won the 50/50 raffle-of all the people! Oh well...trying to keep chin up and take stress out at the gym which I am heading to in a few minutes.
    Thanks for listening.

MK-maybe you shouldn't ride the bike-I have heard some people have back issues from years of riding. Probably not a good support on the rode.

We sure are having strange weather in New England....this weekend back to 60-pretty strange.
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone... Back from Nevada so I will try to catch up on all your posts later. I need to get my house in order because I am always busy on Thurs and Fri. Next week my husband is going to try to get an extra day off so we will be working on Nevada longer. I cant wait for this place to be done it just sucks that it will be finished in the middle of winter. Its so hard to get places rented in the winter and I'm worried about how long we will have to just sit on it.

I guess I got some what of a weight lifting workout while I was there. I had to carry boxes of tile from the car to the house. Those suckers are heavy. But considering my husband takes 2 boxes to my 1 I didn't really do that much.

My son was in a car accident last week. Thank goodness everyone was ok. They left to run to a friends house which is just down the road form me and I didn't think anything about it. Of course 3 boys in a car with it raining they were messing around and lost control ending up down a hill. I live right next to the forest so needless to say it has a lot of pine trees and we are up in the mountains... Lots of drop offs. So the place where they crashed was the most ideal place they could have done it. Lets hope they learned something and will be more careful next time.
  • zebras
    Options
    Tron, thank god your son is OK! I hear you about finding renters. My tenant of 4 months got transferred back to PA, and his company is going to cover the remainder of the rent if we don't find someone, but still, I've already had three sets of people in the one calendar year! Ack.
  • singfree
    Options
    Good evening!

Happy Veteran's Day and a big THANK YOU to all of our fine men and women in uniform!!!

Yep, still on night shift folks. It's not bad, though. I'm not filling in for another supervisor. I have a few guys doing some end-of-year inventory counting for me at night, so I wanted to be around just in case they needed me to look at anything.

I was giving my garage a good cleaning before the winter...also so I can put my car in too. My stepson has a lot of things in the garage, so I put all of it in the storage area above the garage area. I also need a place to put my motorcycle so that I also get the cars in.

Stiring, you are right, the weather is nice. I might go for a hike tomorrow. Enjoy your day in DC. I remember Jay Leno asking questions "on the street" several years back. He asked a young lady what the "DC" meant in "Washington DC". She replied, "Da Capitol"....:laugh:

Have a good night!
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Today is Veteran’s Day. To all current and former military men and women – I salute you for your service to our country and for the sacrifices you have made while defending our freedom. Bill (husband), Jody (sister-in-law), Danne (brother), Sean (brother-in-law) – thank you!!!! To those still serving proudly – stay safe – you’re often in my thoughts.

A special thank you to the families of those who’ve served; your love and support is what keeps our military strong!
  • Texssippian
    Options
    Ditto what MK said! To my dad, father-law, brother John, and uncle Jay: Thank you! TxMs
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning! (It's now midnight and yes I'm at work)...

I really don't know where I'm getting the energy, but I was able to do some work in the garage and then take a nice hike up on the mountain. I even had the motorcycle out for a ride (is it really November in PA???).

Not too much to report, although I am not gaining any more size in the waist. I'm not really watching what I'm eating. On this shift, I'm not very hungry, just tired.

Only 2 more weeks until Turkey Day, my favorite meal of the year!!! I just LOVE turkey, mashed potatoes & gravy, stuffing, etc...and then sleep it off during the football games.

We are going out for a nice dinner tonight. We still celebrate our first date, even at our advanced age.

Have a great weekend!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Happy Friday All!

Check-in.....it was another good week of workouts, but I really need to focus more on my eating. The only problem with my eating right now is I can't seem to stop the chocolate habit, and I'd really like to. But I'm really happy with the progress I'm making getting back to my pre-move strength. That makes me feel good. I think as I start focusing more on my fitness, I'll once again be less inclined to eat so many sweets because it is so counter-productive.

We had a great day yesterday celebrating Veteran's Day in our nation's capitol. We spent the morning at Arlington and saw the official national tribute to Veteran's. Since the president was in Asia, Vice President Biden was the speaker. All the military Chiefs of Staff were there as well as the newly elected Speaker of the House and the Secretary of Defense. We were so fortunate with the weather because it was stunningly beautiful. Everybody was talking about how horrible last year was (freezing rain). In other words, we got lucky. After the ceremony, we walked through the cemetery and put some flags on the graves of a couple people we have served with who are now buried at Arlington. Then we went into DC and walked by the war memorials. It was so wonderful to see groups of young people surrounding some of the Korean war vets at that memorial, entranced with their stories of war. As we walked by the Vietnam Memorial, people were walking up to the vets and thanking them for their service. And there were quite a few WWII vets around town yesterday as well. So, all in all, a great day.

singfree, I hope you have a great evening. My husband and I celebrate the anniversary of our first date too!!! Ours is November 21. Hope you get off nights soon though it sounds like it hasn't kept you from doing anything.

I'll be Christmas shopping this weekend. :noway: It's hard to focus on Christmas when the weather is so nice, but I like to get the bulk of the gifts I need to mail bought before Thanksgiving. I'm not a crowd person, nor do I appreciate long lines at post offices. So off to find the mall. I hope you all have a great weekend!
  • pepper06
    Options
    friday ck in....coasted this week-no complaints. I must say I feel so much better than I did the first of the year.
    Like you Sing-I am really looking forward to Thanksgiving-we will have our meal with family in NH and then on to ME for a couple of days-looking forward tot he get away time. Sing-sounds like you have been cleaning everybody's stuff up lately!

Kad- I forgot to ask you about crab cake Benedict w/truffle--I have never hearrd of this-doe that have egg and chocolate??Parmesan fries-yummy. We went out with friends Sat. night and they order eggplant fries(now none of us like egg plant, but they had been to this restaurant before)-they tasted good-all 4 of us ate the entire pile-at least it was something different and something I would not have ordered on my own(especially since they were lightly fried-I passed on the sweet potato fries because of this and went for the huge salad-so big it lasted me 2 more meals!)

Stiring-sound like you had a wonderful day at Arlington and certainly some walking time in unless you used the shuttle?
    I enjoy that cemetary-be sure to go at Christmas time. Did you make progress on your shopping? I pretty much have my stockings done (I am even thinking of wrapping). I will put my mail items the first of Dec.

I will have to call today to see if my Aunt is home and if she can talk now. Hope everyone has a good check in. We are going to the movies tomorrow and then our dau is going to make us supper so road trip to visit her at college tomorrow(hope it is something healthy).