Holding the handrails on treadmill?

Options
So, I've noticed a few runners / walkers at the gym who constantly hold the handrails or the "handlebars" on the treadmill as they workout. Some of them seem to be hanging on with almost a death grip. Others seem to be bearing weight using the handrails. I'm talking about doing this constantly for a 20-30 minute workout.

Honest question: Why would you do this?

Replies

• MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I saw a friend doing this once (while running with a slight incline) and asked her about it.

She said it helped her keep her balance. I suggested she try slowing down a little to see if that helped. She slowed down and no longer had any balance problems.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,035 Member
    Options
    Because it's easier?
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Because it's easier?

Even easier would be to not run on a treadmill at all!

Seriously, though, it just doesn't make sense to me why you wouldn't want to use the treadmill the same way you run / walk. Is there a legitimate reason to be doing this?
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    I do this as I have balance issues - I have swimmer's ear and a couple of MS related signs (not strong enough to be classified as MS so far - thank God)

Holding onto the handrail by one hand (I only hold on with my right) helps me find my centre of gravity and balance.

I dont think I have a deathgrip on them and I definately not doing this as weight-bearing - more just to hold for a few minutes-not the whole session just when I feel I no longer have my balance or paying attention to other things (such as the newscast I am watching)..unfortulnately my brain cannot handle balancing at the same time of doing something else so I need something to hold onto. I also hold the rails when going downstairs on a staircase - any staircase even if it is only 4-5steps.
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    it must be for balance, I felt quite panicky running on one recently for gait analysis and held on for a bit until it felt safe to let go and run normally

they are absolutely horrible to run on, I admire anyone who does it for any length of time
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Is that where the sensors for the heart rate monitor are? I've seen people keep their hands on when they are trying to stay within a particular HR zone.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Is that where the sensors for the heart rate monitor are? I've seen people keep their hands on when they are trying to stay within a particular HR zone.
    That's a possibility, but it doesn't explain the death grip. Same for those suggesting "balance." I'm afraid I will probably never understand treadmills. I'm planning on a run in the dark, in 7-degree-fahrenheit temps tomorrow.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, I hold on when I'm running because I'm afraid of falling, I'm hoping to get out of that though
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I use to do this I fell on a treadmill once and have been paranoid ever since. It took my husbands encouragement and just standing there saying comforting things to finally get me to let go. Now I don't think about it. I also run outside more lol
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    Being the klutz that I am, they are probably afraid of messing up their gait on it and scraping themselves up (plus the embarassment of going right off the treadmill while it's moving). Of course, since I'm a klutz like that even on a lower speed, I just avoid the treadmill and use one of the gyms available to me with an indoor track if I want to walk/run.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Handrails arn't designed to be held throughout a workout. They are there for safety. Use them and you're cheating yourself.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Several reasons, including:
    1) Heart rate grips - the ones I've used required a firm grip, usually with both hands. If the workout is automatic based on heart rate, it may require constant readings. I now have an HRM.
    2) Fear of falling, especially newbies or those with equilibrium issues (I used to be one, but decreased after significant weight loss)
    3) Don't know any better

Additionally, I used to hold on when doing long intervals of high incline (e.g. >10%), but I used to just use only the tips of my pinkies so that it would be only for pacing/balance instead of weight-bearing.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I've used them when walking backwards and side-stepping. But only intermittently.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I've noticed at my gym that a lot of older people do this (like 60+ years old). It could be that they have age-related issues; balance issues, joint issues. Sometimes I hold on if I have been running and then slow down. I need to stay balanced while the belt slows down.
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    I hold on! I'm very unbalanced and terrified of falling off the treadmill lol I never even thought about it bothering anyone.
  • Tetesandra
    Tetesandra Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I hold on when I do high inclines like 10 or higher which is most of my treadmill as I cannot run on it and want o be sure my hr is up. I also hold onto the handrails as that is where the hrm is and I like to see my hr to keep me in check.
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    As someone who has pushed kids in prams for years (and that has been the majority of my walking experience recently), I find I naturally hold on to the bar in front of me if I am not concentrating. I also do it to watch my heart rate when I am concentrating.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Any number of reasons. Recently I have experienced dizziness.....later realized it was the flu.
    Have had times of weakness for one reason or another.
    Basically, to keep from falling.
    Some may not be that "good" at exercising. But why judge?
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Handrails arn't designed to be held throughout a workout. They are there for safety. Use them and you're cheating yourself.

This.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,035 Member
    Options