When will people understand that you can't spontaneously....

Options

Replies

• BroScience976
    Options
    Maybe you can explain to me then why I gained 50 pounds in 2 months when I was 16 and went on the pill when there were no other changes in food and exercise? Medicines can certainly change the metabolism and mess with hormones. It's a fact. it has nothing to do with calories.

Okay I will explain it to you, but please tell me how many calories you where consuming, and your TDEE during that time...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    From experience, absolutely you can. I was at 205 lbs for ages, had one week of steroids, and I went up to 213 lbs. One month later after eating HORRIBLY (it was the Holidays last year, I was easily eating 4000 calories a day) I had lost 5 lbs.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    From experience, absolutely you can. I was at 205 lbs for ages, had one week of steroids, and I went up to 213 lbs. One month later after eating HORRIBLY (it was the Holidays last year, I was easily eating 4000 calories a day) I had lost 5 lbs.
    Prednisone? I gained 13 pounds in 10 days on prednisone once. Good times.
  • katesnewbody
    katesnewbody Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    and i think what the OP means is what is exactly stated in the OP: no one wakes up overnight and finds themself 30+ pounds overweight. unless of course they were in some type of coma.
    THIS.
    Everybody seems a little riled up at my post, like I'm being judgmental. I was just trying to clear the air, and I still don't believe you can gain over 50 pounds without eating MORE (increase in appetite) like one poster said :)
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    Most women with PCOS in severe forms DO gain EXTREME amounts of weight with no hormone regulation. The doctors couldn't find the root cause because- obviously- most women *gain* weight when on birth control...and they were like, why are you gaining weight, hrrrmmm

And yes, MANY medications that mess with cortisol, hormones, or fluid balances cause weight gain- temporary or not, it's real.
  • katesnewbody
    katesnewbody Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    From the [admittedly brief] research I've done on the topic, most of what causes weight gain in people using certain medications is an increase in appetite. Antidepressants and Diabetes medications most notably cause an increase in appetite, which in turn takes a day where you feel just as sated with food that you no longer maintain with.
    ----
    This, as well~! that's really all I was trying to say you guys, chill out. XD
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    At 42 I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer. Chemo threw me into menopause. This along with steroids (to deal with chemo) 19 months of chemo, surgeries, rads kinda messed with my hormonal balance. (You think?). So yeah I think meds can really screw with you matobolism. So I gained weight...was real thin and fit prior.
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    I'm sorry that you don't believe it's possible. It's a documented FACT.

As is this:

I currently eat MORE than I ate at nearly 600 pounds, and I weigh LESS daily.

Why?

Metabolism.

Hormones.

However, I'm glad that you know everything that there is to know about this:)
  • rachnh
    rachnh Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease (my own antibodies are attacking and slowly killing off my thyroid) and hypothyroidism (my thyroid doesn't put out the correct amount of hormones for body regulations) after I went to the doctor complaining of having trouble swallowing occasionally, being exhausted, cold all the time, memory issues and gaining almost 20 pounds in a matter of a few months without changing my daily habits. He felt my thyroid, sent me for a sonogram and it was indeed enlarged and of not the normal texture so they ran blood tests, my hormone levels were all over the place. I was put on synthroid to try and even out the hormones, I'm feeling a little better after about 4 months on the medicine, but my doctor agrees I will always probably have these issues to a degree and losing weight will probably be more difficult for me than someone who doesn't have this disease.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    for me back then the meds i was on gave me an endless stomach meaning i never felt full. i acually got type two diabes from bad food and meds. until you have been there you have no idea what these meds do. one i tried had a side affect that would make you look like you had a stroke. when it was just the meds. theres some pretty wicked ones out there. the ones i'm on know are better but if i miss takeing them i get real sick
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    I actually didn't eat:(

Prednisone made me so jittery I felt like I was on crack...

I literally didn't sleep for days.
  • Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz
    Options
    Love Smart talk.. lol
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Not overnight but yes some can cause people to gain up to 30 lbs in a 3 month or so span. I know when I switched bp pills(from an ACE to a Beta blocker) I did. Some like steroids used in auto immune things do and like someone else mentioned its because hunger increases.

My antidepressant I actually found I lost weight the first few weeks easily but because I LOST appetite from nausea. After awhile it evened out.

I'd like to get off both meds. I take the antidepressant for anxiety disorder that had me having panic attacks most times I was in the car(driving or not) and while in lines or just walking through the store. Its seems under control and I never even needed to increase the dose from the starter dose. I will be working to try weaning off with my prescriber on that one. Then as I get weight off my bp drops naturally on its own so hope it will this time so I can be off all meds.
  • BroScience976
    Options

Water weight, not fat.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    From the [admittedly brief] research I've done on the topic, most of what causes weight gain in people using certain medications is an increase in appetite. Antidepressants and Diabetes medications most notably cause an increase in appetite, which in turn takes a day where you feel just as sated with food that you no longer maintain with.

Corticosteroids do cause trouble with using blood sugar, and that can increase the amount fat that is deposited in the body, and makes it more difficult to access the stored energy in those fat deposits.

Depakote causes a weight gain in 8-9 percent of people, but the majority of them lay the blame on increased desire for sweet foods as opposed to their previous intake.

Birth control medications come in a wide variety, but seem to fall into one of three camps. They either will increase the amount of water retained, increase appetite or cause abnormal glucose metabolism. However, sympomatic weight gain of more than 10 percent is usually indicative of an onset of insulin resistance which should be addressed with/by your doctor.

However, I am not a doctor, just a student that took a Nutrition and Metabolism course one time.

Not to mention anti psychotics. My son's pediatrician put him on these and his appetite went totally out of control - so much so that he put on 20kg in 6 months which is huge for a then 11 year old.
  • BroScience976
    Options
    You need to do some research before you say things

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/expert-answers/beta-blockers/FAQ-20058385

But, sometimes, it's not so much weight gain, as it is almost impossible to reduce weight. But, beta-blocker cause weight gain

This doesn't explain how. It is either doing 1 of 2 things. Slowing down your metabolic rate, or making you more hungry. This is how weight gain works due to drugs.

That page even talked about water weight gain which isn't fat.
  • BroScience976
    Options
    I'm sorry that you don't believe it's possible. It's a documented FACT.

As is this:

I currently eat MORE than I ate at nearly 600 pounds, and I weigh LESS daily.

Why?

Metabolism.

Hormones.

However, I'm glad that you know everything that there is to know about this:)

Ever heard of metabolic supression? The way to combat it is by eating more calorise which will cause weight loss.

Also just because you eat more doesn't mean you're consuming more calories. You can be consuming higher volumes of food.
  • amber_gem
    amber_gem Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Maybe not spontaneously as in overnight, but give it about 3 weeks on say, Lyrica, for example, and your body takes on water like a sponge and the metabolism up and vanishes. 3 months on it with exercise (because the doc had warned me from before about the weight gain) but the weight ballooned and wouldn't budge at all. Took some time off of it to finally start getting back to normal-ish. Meds that affect your nervous system mess with the metabolism. Some people can't stop their meds, or they have to increase the dose, and poof, the pounds keep coming, then the depression about it hits, then more pounds, etc.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can explain to me then why I gained 50 pounds in 2 months when I was 16 and went on the pill when there were no other changes in food and exercise? Medicines can certainly change the metabolism and mess with hormones. It's a fact. it has nothing to do with calories.

Totally agree with everyone else who has said some version of this.

I gained 10 lb that showed 100% as a bloated horrible roundness in my face in 14 days of being on steroids for a spider bite. It was awful. It wasn't the food I consumed, which was actually less than usual due to being in shock and extremely upset because the doctors talked about amputating my leg where the bite was.