Eat McDonald's, lose wight, set terrible example

Options

Replies

• bitshred
    bitshred Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a little torn.
    Actually, I do see it as a testament to what we are all doing here. Isn't it? It's about choices and counting calories. So I do think it is smart and interesting.

On the other hand, I also see it as kind of ignorant. You seriously don't want to even consider that stuff "food". It may provide some nutrients, but it's pretty much crap. I have a really hard time believing his blood work improved. But if it did, he must of had a REALLY poor diet before this.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone remembers the HBO series "The weight of the nation" (it's really really good) but they talked about certain parts of the country that had -I think they called it something like- fast food wastelands, where a large percentage of the population lives with fast food as literally their only choice. There are literally no grocery stores or places to buy fresh food within the local public transportation routes, and an abundance of fast food restaurants. People without their own transportation have to rely on fast food. They have some of the highest obesity rates and unhealthiest people in the country.

I think this story could translate to some hope for how people that live in these areas can turn their health situations around, despite the circumstances. A big part of the problem is accepting that if you don't have food availability, you're going to be fat and unhealthy.

Just adding to this post, here is a link to the documentary if others haven't seen it yet: http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/films

Good comment here.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone remembers the HBO series "The weight of the nation" (it's really really good) but they talked about certain parts of the country that had -I think they called it something like- fast food wastelands, where a large percentage of the population lives with fast food as literally their only choice. There are literally no grocery stores or places to buy fresh food within the local public transportation routes, and an abundance of fast food restaurants. People without their own transportation have to rely on fast food. They have some of the highest obesity rates and unhealthiest people in the country.

I think this story could translate to some hope for how people that live in these areas can turn their health situations around, despite the circumstances. A big part of the problem is accepting that if you don't have food availability, you're going to be fat and unhealthy.

Freakin BINGO!!!!!!

They're called "food desserts" and they do exist.

They are INCREDIBLY challenging to deal with.

As far as I'm concerned, this teacher did these student an incredible service, and selflessly.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    Well, I'm a little torn.
    Actually, I do see it as a testament to what we are all doing here. Isn't it? It's about choices and counting calories. So I do think it is smart and interesting.

On the other hand, I also see it as kind of ignorant. You seriously don't want to even consider that stuff "food". It may provide some nutrients, but it's pretty much crap. I have a really hard time believing his blood work improved. But if it did, he must of had a REALLY poor diet before this.

He was nearly 300 lbs. so yeah, crap diet.

Some people HAVE to consider this stuff "food"

Ugh. I will be blogging on this tomorrow.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a little torn.

:huh:

I can't...I just can't.

It's food. It isn't crap. Maybe it isn't your preferred food of choice, but it's still food.

And why do people believe the "cleanness" of their food affects blood markers more than their obesity (or lack of it)? That's *your* lack of understanding of what actually drives health markers.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Freakin BINGO!!!!!!

As far as I'm concerned, this teacher did these student an incredible service, and selflessly.

Food desserts are delicious and awesome.

You're thinking of food deserts.

I'm a big fan of food desserts...but not so much of food deserts.

:drinker:
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    Well, I'm a little torn.

I can't...I just can't.

It's food. It isn't crap. Maybe it isn't your preferred food of choice, but it's still food.

And why do people believe the "cleanness" of their food affects blood markers more than their obesity (or lack of it)? That's *your* lack of understanding of what actually drives health markers.

My oh-so-tainted and filthy heart and all my normal blood levels love you, Jof. Bless you for being not stupid.
  • grabbingsgirl
    grabbingsgirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I wasn't bothered. I think it showed that we are in control of our portions and not to blame everyone for what we consume. I still think it's crappy food to begin with.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Well, I'm a little torn.

I can't...I just can't.

My oh-so-tainted and filthy heart and all my normal blood levels love you, Jof. Bless you for being not stupid.

(Remember this warm fuzzy feeling when you read my next post. :laugh: )
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Freakin BINGO!!!!!!

Food desserts are delicious and awesome.

You're thinking of food deserts.

I'm a big fan of food desserts...but not so much of food deserts.

:drinker:

Subliminal. :drinker:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    On the contrary. It's a good example that even if you eat fast food all the time, you still have the power to choose what you eat and how much of it you consume.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Yeah, pretty much what jof said.

I mean how can it not be "food" when the teacher and his students (collectively from what I understand) planned a 2,000 calorie per meal day all while taking into consideration appropriate macro's? I mean it ludicrous to sit there and say it's not food. People can make just as unhealthy foods in their own home, truthfully speaking. I think it's great that these kids are learning moderation, the importance of being cognizant of their caloric intake, what macros are, and that life is about CHOICES.

Also in for new poster trying to save the MFP community from judgement because.....funny.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    "Cisna enlisted his students as nutritionists, turning his weight-loss plan into a school project by having a few of his kids plan his daily menus. He also began walking 45 minutes each day, a change from his usual sedentary lifestyle. "

So the STUDENTS actually <gasp> learned something useful in school? They learned about calories and macronutrients? And they learned that walking for 45 minutes is healthy?

I am DEFINITELY bothered by this.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really bother me. What bothers me is the misleading titles I've seen this published under. The exercise he started doing is what helped him lose the weight (assuming his caloric intake did not change when he started eating McDonald's). However,every article I have seen about it makes it sound like it was the McDonald's food itself that caused the weight loss. I can see this having an ill effect.

But the students learned about calories and they learned that exercise is healthy. Why be bothered by that?
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    It doesn't really bother me. What bothers me is the misleading titles I've seen this published under. The exercise he started doing is what helped him lose the weight (assuming his caloric intake did not change when he started eating McDonald's). However,every article I have seen about it makes it sound like it was the McDonald's food itself that caused the weight loss. I can see this having an ill effect.

But the students learned about calories and they learned that exercise is healthy. Why be bothered by that?

I'm no math whiz, but I do believe that 2000 calories (which was his daily goal) is a reduction for someone nearly 300 lbs and sedimentary. I'm not being snide... I actually DON'T know with certainty what maintenance calories for that weight would be, but I'm thinking that its higher.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I'm no math whiz, but I do believe that 2000 calories (which was his daily goal) is a reduction for someone nearly 300 lbs and sedimentary. I'm not being snide... I actually DON'T know with certainty what maintenance calories for that weight would be, but I'm thinking that its higher.

My maintenance is about 2000-2100 and he was more than double my body weight.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I just realized what it is about this that rustles the jimmies of many:

It shows that it actually *is* possible to eat even the "crappiest of crap food" and not eat to excess...and it highlights that the excuse of "once I start eating 'crap' food I just can't stop" is just that: an excuse.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

Emphasis added.

That seems like a pretty big assumption given he lost 37 lbs over 90 days and was reportedly (I am not doing any research on this story or teacher *sticks tongue out* - just saw it referenced on some other thread) pushing 300 lbs when this started. Yes, adopting 45 minutes of walking helped. No, it did not result in 37 lbs lost. Eating 2000 cals a day made this happen much more than anything else. And doing so from one crappy (forgive me McD fans :flowerforyou: ) fastfood chain's menu in a way that took into account basic macros, is a pretty impressive testament to knowing what you you're consuming and consuming with a goal in mind.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Oh crap - Auburn lost.

Off to Mickey D's.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Emphasis added.

That seems like a pretty big assumption given he lost 37 lbs over 90 days and was reportedly (I am not doing any research on this story or teacher *sticks tongue out* - just saw it referenced on some other thread) pushing 300 lbs when this started. Yes, adopting 45 minutes of walking helped. No, it did not result in 37 lbs lost. Eating 2000 cals a day made this happen much more than anything else. And doing so from one crappy (forgive me McD fans :flowerforyou: ) fastfood chain's menu in a way that took into account basic macros, is a pretty impressive testament to knowing what you you're consuming and consuming with a goal in mind.

Yep.
    Those kids may never actually have to use MFP... Or if they do, they'll be good at it. VERY good.