Eat McDonald's, lose wight, set terrible example

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Again, let's agree to disagree. Have a good night, everyone.

That's not how the internet works.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'm using "OP" in a general sense.

jack-confused-o.gif
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    The exercise he started doing is what helped him lose the weight (assuming his caloric intake did not change when he started eating McDonald's). However,every article I have seen about it makes it sound like it was the McDonald's food itself that caused the weight loss.

As has been demonstrated a billion times here on MFP, weight loss comes from the diet, not from exercise.

Walking 45 minutes, even at his starting weight, burns all of 135 extra calories.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I just realized what it is about this that rustles the jimmies of many:

It shows that it actually *is* possible to eat even the "crappiest of crap food" and not eat to excess...and it highlights that the excuse of "once I start eating 'crap' food I just can't stop" is just that: an excuse.

OOOH_YOU_WENT_THERE_1313603624.jpg

:laugh:
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

It shows that it actually *is* possible to eat even the "crappiest of crap food" and not eat to excess...and it highlights that the excuse of "once I start eating 'crap' food I just can't stop" is just that: an excuse.

And "BINGO" was his name!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think he set a good example and I applaud him for it and for his weight loss.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I'm using "OP" in a general sense.

jack-confused-o.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

And "BINGO" was his name!

He prefers the name "dessert" :laugh:
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    You eat less then TDEE you lose weight pretty simple. Good for the guy he lost weight and his class learned something. So he went to McDonalds. He went by the RDA's 2000 calories guidelines it was under his TDEE so he'd lose weight no matter if he followed it.

You can eat "clean"/organic/vegan and still gain weight if you go over TDEE. Though I haven't watch TV in 3 years now so I don't know how the sheep are trained from the likes of Dr. Oz and other daytime TV personality's.
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    No, there are better things in life to bothered by.

Take this judgmental post, for instance...

Because: Funny!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a little torn.
    Actually, I do see it as a testament to what we are all doing here. Isn't it? It's about choices and counting calories. So I do think it is smart and interesting.

On the other hand, I also see it as kind of ignorant. You seriously don't want to even consider that stuff "food". It may provide some nutrients, but it's pretty much crap. I have a really hard time believing his blood work improved. But if it did, he must of had a REALLY poor diet before this.

What, salads are 'crap'? Oatmeal is 'crap'? Chicken is crap?
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Out of curiosity, I tried building the food plan in the article.

2 Egg White Delights
    Fruit & Maple Oatmeal
    Premium Bacon Ranch Salad with Grilled Chicken
    Big Mac
    Medium Fries
    Vanilla Cone

--> 1950 calories, from 230g carbs, 102g protein and 72g fat

Geez, even the macros aren't all that bad. Yes, many will say the protein should be higher, but there are LOT of diaries on here for "healthy" eaters with worse macros than that.

EDIT: Oops, that was small fries. Medium fries would bring it to 2100 calories.
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It does not matter WTF he ate - this is the basic Twinkie diet. You eat less calories than you burn, you lose fat. Let's do the math:

3,500 cal per lb of fat (excess or deficit)
    37 lbs x 3,500 cal/lb = 129,500 calories of fat burned in 90 days
    That is 1,440 cal per day less than maintenance.
    So his maintenance calories, at the weight he was, is in the range of 3,400.

It does not matter what the calories are - they are still calories.

The amount of walking he did, burns maybe 200 calories more than he burned before - that is less than 0.5 lb of fat burned a week from walking. The walking he did might add up to 6 lbs of the 37 he lost.

Lose fat, and your body will be better for it (as his blood work showed).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone remembers the HBO series "The weight of the nation" (it's really really good) but they talked about certain parts of the country that had -I think they called it something like- fast food wastelands, where a large percentage of the population lives with fast food as literally their only choice. There are literally no grocery stores or places to buy fresh food within the local public transportation routes, and an abundance of fast food restaurants. People without their own transportation have to rely on fast food. They have some of the highest obesity rates and unhealthiest people in the country.

I think this story could translate to some hope for how people that live in these areas can turn their health situations around, despite the circumstances. A big part of the problem is accepting that if you don't have food availability, you're going to be fat and unhealthy.

Totally on point. Which is why people that call food 'garbage' and 'crap' just because it is from a fast food restaurant are incredibly self righteous and downright wrong anyway.

Teenagers and young adults hang out at placed like McDs all the time, even not in these areas. Adults eat there as it's quick and convenient. You will not stop them. Why not educate them on balanced choices, caloric of foods and macros? How is that a bad thing?
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    My jimmies remain unrustled.
  • PhatAv8r
    PhatAv8r Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    FYI... worked as a supplier to McDonalds for two years, growing all of their lettuce and other fresh vegetables used in their stores. As part of that, I was sent to their quality training school, and I can tell you that they are very conscious of the SUPER SIZE ME tag,

But that the first thing anyone in McD management will tell you is that they base their meals on solid nutritional guidelines and use healthy parameters.

They can't help that an idiot like me used to go into McD and order a Big Mac meal with a Diet Coke and then order a filet of fish on the side, with a 5 piece McNuggets and then toss on a ice cream cone or McFlurry. (that incidentally is close to 2000 calories).

The value meals were built around balancing the nutritional macros. The original Big Mac Value Meal was a Big Mac, the SMALL fries, and a 12oz (SMALL) Coke. All told about 920 calories. If that's all you eat, the nutrition is there. Fat is slightly higher than you like, but it is manageable.

My point is that McD gets a bad rap for having unhealthy food, but they shouldn't get the rap for poor food choices by the consumer. They only OFFER to super size because customers want that bigger box of fries and the larger drink.. No one forces a consumer to drink SUGAR Coke, over Diet Coke. No one forces the customer to use 6 packets of Ketchup (10 calories each), or to use the dipping sauce for nuggets.

I no longer work for them, but this teachers experiment shows that by controlling what you eat, and adding simple WALKING, you can lose weight, even if it is FAST FOOD.

The cool part is that he had his students develop the menus by researching the nutritional info and meeting healthy targets... what a skill to have in our society today.
  • AllOnMeWOL
    AllOnMeWOL Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Far more bothered by the OP than by a dude who lost weight eating McDonalds every day. You act like fast food is the root of all evil or something ignorant like that.

Rigger

But ... but ... MCDONALDS! That clown is evil! :laugh:

hahahahahahahahahahaha!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options

I am over-the-top bothered by this. This guy - a teacher no less - chose McDonald's for this interesting demonstration of watching macros and calories. I don't like McDonald's (except for breakfast stuff like McMuffins). He could have chosen Taco Bell, or Carl's Jr., and I would have a lot more interest and respect.

Yeah! Try eating healthy at Hardee's/Carl Jr's...it's a lot harder :laugh:
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

I am over-the-top bothered by this. This guy - a teacher no less - chose McDonald's for this interesting demonstration of watching macros and calories. I don't like McDonald's (except for breakfast stuff like McMuffins). He could have chosen Taco Bell, or Carl's Jr., and I would have a lot more interest and respect.

Yeah! Try eating healthy at Hardee's/Carl Jr's...it's a lot harder :laugh:

Actually, their turkey burger's not half bad. :)