Eat McDonald's, lose wight, set terrible example

Options

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows you can't trust things in boxes...

Cat-Shocked-From-Opening-Box.gif
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It bothers me that it paints a picture that he just "ate some McDonald's to lose weight" when there's more to it than just that.

He lost 37 lbs while eating pre-planned McDonald's meals while incorporating 40+ min walks to his daily routine. Mind you, he didn't even walk prior.

So in short... the media... business propaganda... GG

/end
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    While his diet isn't one I would want to follow, I don't see a problem with McDonald's per se. To be honest, if I'm running around or out of town, a McDonald's salad is an easy meal. It meets my macro goals and as along as you are careful which dressing you choose it is also a reasonable calorie count. It is also easy to log in MFP because it is already in the database. :smile:

When I travel, I don't have the choice of home cooked meals where I can measure and weigh every ingredient. I find it to be easier to go to chain restaurants with nutritional information online. I can pre-plan my menu and macro/calories for the day. While I love going to local restaurants might have unique food, it can make logging a pain trying to find analogous foods.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    It bothers me that it paints a picture that he just "ate some McDonald's to lose weight" when there's more to it than just that.

He lost 37 lbs while eating pre-planned McDonald's meals while incorporating 40+ min walks to his daily routine. Mind you, he didn't even walk prior.

/end

It doesn't paint that picture at all, if you take time to watch the video or read the story accompanying the headline. If you get all your news just from reading headlines, you aren't getting much information and you'll often jump to the wrong conclusion. How is it propaganda?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I don't think we watched the same video or read the same article...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

/end

Yeah, it's the hundred or so calories he burned by walking that made the huge difference. I'll even be nice and give you 200. 200 calories x 90 days = 18000/3500= a touch over 5 pounds.

Yeah. That made all the difference.

An the fact the meals were pre planned/works out to fit a certain goal is the whole point. He made informed choices. Is it propaganda if it's the actual point?
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

/end
    So, the problem is apparently that titles are too short to accurately convey all the information and nuances within an entire article.
  • Hornsby
    Options

/end

Yeah, it's the hundred or so calories he burned by walking that made the huge difference. I'll even be nice and give you 200. 200 calories x 90 days = 18000/3500= a touch over 5 pounds.

An the fact the meals were pre planned/works out to fit a certain goal is the whole point. He made informed choices. Is it propaganda if it's the actual point?

You need to take your math and logic and get outta here. There is no place for it on MFP :)
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    I'm still bothered by the 1 solid gluten free choice McD's offers me.

Dasani Water.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

/end

It doesn't paint that picture at all, if you take time to watch the video or read the story accompanying the headline. If you get all your news just from reading headlines, you aren't getting much information and you'll often jump to the wrong conclusion. How is it propaganda?

Highlighted the most important part of that statement.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Dasani Water.

It would probably cost too much to cater to the few folks that need gluten free.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Personally... I don't eat McDonalds. I'd rather eat real food. But... if you can't cook... don't care to.. and Love crappy fast food... I guess its good to know you can make better choices whilst you're there to keep youself from packing on the lbs. Their choice, their life. As long as they don't tie me to a chair and force feed it to me we're cool.
    How is it not real food?

I try my very best not to eat anything that is uber-processed, frozen, out of a box, etc. For me, fast food falls directly into that category. Just as I don't eat hamburger helper or drink coca-cola... I don't eat McDonalds. I also won't feed my dog Purina either. But like I said, I don't look down on those who do... your life, your body, your choice.

I don't think "out of a box" is a synonym for "not real".

If i put a steak in a box, does it become "not real" steak?

I buy eggs in a box, not real.

Oatmeal? Box.

Sugar? Box!

My McDonald's comes in a paper sack, is real.

I think I get it.

Yep, it makes total sense doesn't it :smokin:

As I posted earlier-I did the whole good/bad food thing and it only led to bad things. I'll stick with my 'crappy' food and be healthy in body AND in mind :wink:
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Bottom line, it's a launching off point for lots of people who feel hopeless to change their ways. They see they can make small changes and eventually it will waterfall to even better things.

Start with fast food, learn to add healthier options, start to add more filling, nutritious foods. It has to start somewhere!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Dasani Water.

It would probably cost too much to cater to the few folks that need gluten free.

The few? There happen to be quite a lot of us. Red Robin has gluten-free buns, and Jimmy John's offers the "unwich" which has the fillings wrapped in lettuce instead of bread.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

/end

I think I'm in love.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I had a nightmare last night that my family bought Ranch Doritos Locos tacos instead of the regular Nacho Cheese ones. True story

I lived that nightmare except I forgot to specify I wanted the firey locos tacos and had to eat a nacho cheese one. Bleck!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options

/end

Lol, get outta here with actual logic. People who want to believe that only "clean" and "natural" are the only ways to lose weight and be healthy aren't gonna believe it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • klm888
    klm888 Posts: 15
    Options
    I could never do this, clowns scare me!! :wink:
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options

On MSNBC news, the title stated verbatim "MAN LOSES 40 LBS EATING MCDONALDS" to get people to watch it. Then watching the segment on the news, they state he lost 37 lbs... being NEARLY 40 lbs, even though the title stated he lost 40 lbs. Then you learn he had pre-planned meals that didn't involve big macs, fries, and the rest of the staple of what makes McDonald's... McDonald's. THEN they add in he incorporated 40+ min of walking per day. Take all of that and look at the title again...

Mind you: if you or myself did this exact thing, we would not end up on national television. The man was paid to do this by McDonald's like Jarred was for Subway. Despite the class project being fun, I'm sure the money incentive made it all the easier... but the news didn't (and won't) cover that part in their story. Thus, business propaganda.

I don't know how else to explain my thoughts to make you understand my take on it.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

/end

Well+done+OP.+gif+very+related+_8672d6ba91435dc5244ca005c5f5d1a2.gif