When will people understand that you can't spontaneously....

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    some medications can also impact metabolic rate which means that at the same food intake at which you were maintaining, you are now gaining weight. Some medications also have a rather substantial impact on hormones and hormone imbalances often do cause metabolic issues for which, again, you can go from maintaining to gaining on the same calorie intake.

Indeed.

I actually can't think of a medication that impacts your metabolic rate, except for synthroid or certain stimulants. I think the vast majority of medications that cause weight gain do it because of either increased appetite, water weight, or somehow effecting NEAT. For example, antidepressants make people feel better and they move around more. Or decrease their anxiety, so they fidget and move less, as well as have a decreased heart rate.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I just am shaking my head.

People on here claiming BC made them gain weight...okay whatever.

Calories in>calories out make you gain weight.

Yes perhaps BC lowered your BMR or increased your appetite or messed with hormones along with a long list of other things that BC and other meds do.... but it comes down to the hard science.

People with PCOS or other medical conditions if in regular contact with their doctor and get their meds in order can lose weight too...it might take longer but it can be done. It again comes down to burning more then you take in.

I am a 41 year old woman who has used BC pills, Depo, Mierna and been on Anti depressants...

I have gained and lost a few times...but none of it is because of my meds my gains were due to eating too much and not moving enough then when I decided enough was enough...I lost weight...eating less and moving more. Funny thing about it is this...on BC or other meds you might be tired...but if you exercise you get energy...it's the whole circle thing.

But this debate will go on forever...why because people want something to blame other then themselves for weight gain.

Am I being judgemental? Blunt? mean? no..yes...no

Personal responsibility is needed...BC does not cause weight gain..excess calories do.

In other words, as is the usual argument of this type:

"It didn't happen to me, so it couldn't possibly have happened to anyone else."

:flowerforyou:

LOL Yep...ignorance

Nope not ignorance...if you had read the other posts you would have seen that I was one of those woman who gained 50lbs while using Mirena...then wow imagine lost that same 50lbs using Mirena...I have experience with many methods of birth control methods...all hormonal. I have used anti depressants I am well aware of what they can do to a person from increased appetite, letargy, crabbiness, sadness, bloat, skin discoloration, spotting...you name the side effect...I've had it.

I just know that the laws of science back by hard imperical proof is just that....proof beyond any doubt.

Correlation does not imply causation

And until someone posts peer reviewed studies proving that BC causes weight gain without excess of calories I will go with the peer reviewed studies that tell me excess calories cause weight gain regardless of why there is excess calories.

Nicely said.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I only have one thing to say - and it may or may not have been posted but I got sick of reading the same back and forth with no progress in arguing or evidence either way through the pages.

I'm not saying that taking birth control or meds can't affect your weight. HOWEVER, many people that start birth control for the first time or a repeat time after being on it are also in a life change - i.e. a new relationship. New relationships tend to help people gain a few pounds as you go out to eat more or whatever your case is.

In addition, for everyone who says that "my calorie intake didn't change" were you actually monitoring it? Tracking/logging everything? I go through times where I think, "Oh Im eating exactly the same, i'm working out just as much..." but then when I log it or REALLY think about it, something changed. Maybe I ran 10 less miles that week or went out an extra night.

Again - not saying meds CAN'T affect your weight. I'm sure they do in some circumstances. But just like anything else, there is a level of accountability that is also required.

My weight gain had nothing to do with meds. But yes, I was tracking it (food intake, exercise wasn't a possiblity at this point). It's how I convinced my doctor that more tests needed to be ran. Surprisingly: I never had issues with birth control. Not even Depo Lupron which effectively puts you in menopause. It's something I suggest to anyone who is experiencing a weight gain that's "unexplained": track everything! No one will believe you otherwise.
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    I actually was in the hospital because of the rapid weight gain- and closely medically monitored intake for a period of time. so, yeah, we'll go there.

As for medications that cause issues with metabolism (staying away from BC as it's been beaten to death):

-Some corticosteroids make the body less able to absorb blood sugar (which does have a causation on your metabolism)
    -Valproic acid- do the research. It's actually the causation for my serious PCOS (so they believe). Which causes the insulin -malfunctions in your body. It's an anti convulsant. It has severe effects on the cortisol secreted by your kidneys long term as well. Which, of course, plays into your metabolism.
    -Bupropion, doxepin and nefazodone- medications that have effects on your stimulant secretions.
    -Beta-adrenergic blockers can cause weight gain due to a lower metabolic rate in the body

Now- are these the only factors, ever, in anyone's weight journey? No. But, they are a factor. To discount them as everyone is, is insensitive. Some people can lose with these meds. Others, it stops you. Everyone is DIFFERENT.

But yes, THIS IS REALITY.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

PCOS wasn't mentioned in what i qouted. In your case, what controls insulin? Calories, it's still a caloric issue regardless. You do have a medical condition, which is understandable. Regardless though, the issue is calories. Eat less to lower insulin levels.

1. I have a feeling you're OP, and bored tonight.

2. If you're not OP, you're quite the idiot. Or a troll.

I would suggest a trip to a Registered Dietician, a Physician, or a College/University program to aid in your understanding of pharmacology, nutrition, and hormonal imbalances if you truly did want to learn more. We're a website. We're not here to teach you how insulin or medication works.

I am well aware of this stuff. So you're telling me if you fasted with PCOS you'll get fat? Once again, it's about calories, pay attention please.

Also PCOS or not, it doesn't matter. If you eat 2,000 calories and it all turned in to fat, yet you go out and burn 2,500 calories. Where does the 500 calories of energy come from? FAT

You and the other person are talking about low carb dieting theory non-sense.

I pity you if you truly are as clueless as you're making yourself out to be.

There was a point before I went on medication that I was eating around 1,000 calories. I'm not a small person, and my sedentary TDEE should be, bare minimum, twice that (all the calculators actually put it closer to 2,500). That 1,000 calorie intake lasted all of a week, maybe two, because it was far too little for me. Technically, I lost a couple of pounds, but I also couldn't function. It took all the willpower I had just to get out of bed in the morning. Ultimately, it was causing more harm than good and was quickly sabotaging any potential weight loss effects it might have had, solely because the "eat less" half of the equation wasn't enough to fuel the "move more" that was supposed to happen and, instead, resulted in "move less."

There was also a time when I was a) weight lifting three times a week, and b) practicing martial arts twice a week. For both of those, the sessions lasted no less than an hour, and the martial arts were almost always two hours. The majority of the martial arts was 3/4 low to mid-level activity and 1/4 HIIT activity (sparring), though there was a span when I changed schools where it was 1-2 hours of high-intensity training. I ate about 2,000 calories the whole time.

My weight never moved, nor did the tape measure.

I actually had to stop weight lifting in order to continue the martial arts training, because I couldn't physically keep up.

Why? In large part because my insulin levels ran too high, yes, even while fasting (had it tested), for my body to consider going after fat stores and prompted the body to store any calories it did get. I quickly found myself having to choose between exercises just so I could have the energy to get up in the mornings. And my doctor told me that I wasn't losing weight because I was eating too much. Yes, that's right, I even got that song and dance from a doctor. Never mind at all the fact that I couldn't keep up with my exercise as it was at the intake I was at.

And no, this isn't all just "low carb dieting theory non-sense." You know what one of the primary symptoms of Type 1 Diabetes (you know, the genetic one) is? Weight loss. Why is that? Because the body can no longer create enough insulin (it's also why T1 Diabetics almost invariably gain weight when they start insulin therapy). When there's too little insulin the body can't store the excess calories, and it goes out with the rest of the waste. Conversely, in disorders that cause too much insulin, the body can't access the fat stores it has. It therefore "thinks" it's starving and will do what it takes to conserve the energy it thinks is scarce, including resorting to downregulating metabolism, causing fatigue, etc -- without burning off the excess stores of fat.

Diabetics stopping insulin therapy in order to lose weight is actually a thing - it's call diabulimia:
    Emboldened by her experiment, she continued to restrict her insulin. Without a regimented amount of insulin in her body to process glucose, Williams' body started to burn through fat and muscle. She lost weight very quickly even as she ate all the same foods. Classmates started commenting on her weight loss and remarked that she looked great. [...]

Many type 1 diabetics with eating disorders will not take their prescribed insulin so they can lose weight. Deprived of insulin, the body cannot break down sugars from food to use as energy. Instead the body's cells break down fat already stored and try to flush out the excess sugar through the urine.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/skipping-insulin-diabetics-find-dangerous-drop-pounds/story?id=18687005

In other words, if you decrease the body's insulin levels, either through the addition of medication (Metformin) or the removal of artificial insulin, you lose weight. If you increase it, you gain weight. (Outside of the balance thresholds for both ends.)

Also, here's some research for you (emphases mine):
    Insulin is the pivotal hormone regulating cellular energy supply and macronutrient balance, directing anabolic processes of the fed state.27 Insulin is essential for the intra-cellular transport of glucose into insulin-dependent tissues such as muscle and adipose tissue. Signalling abundance of exogenous energy, adipose tissue fat breakdown is suppressed and its synthesis promoted. In muscle cells, glucose entry enables glycogen to be synthesised and stored, and for carbohydrates, rather than fatty acids (or amino acids) to be utilised as the immediately available energy source for muscle contraction. Insulin therefore promotes glycogen and lipid synthesis in muscle cells, while suppressing lipolysis and gluconeogenesis from muscle amino acids. In the presence of an adequate supply of amino acids, insulin is anabolic in muscle.29 [...]

In insulin resistance the effects on adipose tissue are similar, but in the liver the increased free fatty acid flux tends to promote hepatic very low density lipoprotein (VLDL) production37 whilst ketogenesis typically remains suppressed by the compensatory hyperinsulinaemia. Furthermore, since lipoprotein lipase activity is insulin-dependent and impaired by insulin resistance, peripheral uptake of triglycerides from VLDL is also diminished. These mechanisms contribute to the observed hypertriglyceridaemia of insulin resistance. (My note: in other words, this is why people with IR also have poor cholesterol) [...]

Whilst in insulin deficiency, e.g. starvation, these processes are more uniformly affected, this is not necessarily the case with insulin resistance. Compensatory hyperinsulinaemia, differential insulin resistance and differential tissue requirements may dissociate these processes.3 Resistance to insulin’s metabolic effects results in increased glucose output via increased gluconeogenesis (as in starvation), however, unlike starvation, compensatory hyperinsulinaemia depresses SHBG production and promotes insulin’s mitogenic effects. (My note: in other words, even when actually starving, a body under hyperinsulinemia that's independent of food intake still won't go after fat stores) [...]

Insulin receptors are found in the ovary and appear to have a role in enhancing steroidogenesis.48 Insulin and IGF-1 act synergistically with FSH (My note: Follicle Stimulating Hormone - what prompts the ovaries to mature an egg) to enhance oestrogen production by granulosa cells and with LH (My note: Luteinizing Hormone - what triggers the mature egg to be released) to enhance androgen production by thecal stromal cells.49 They have also been found in the rat testis where insulin may act synergistically with LH on steroidogenesis
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1204764/

The last part in the above quote is of particular interest to women in general, because that basically means "you screw with one of those hormones, and you screw with them all." It's also why PCOS is very often effectively treated with Metformin (which has the sole purpose of decreasing insulin) and a diet that limits and/or regulates dietary stimulation of insulin (from both carbohydrates and protein), and it's why medications such as birth control and steroids can cause weight fluctuations (usually gain, but sometimes loss) without dietary or exercise changes (and why, for some people, this weight fluctuation is, for all intents and purposes, impossible to reverse until the medication is stopped).
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Steroids (prednisone for example) can cause weight gain and swelling of the face etc. On occasion there have even been body builders that take steroids so they can gain weight. Pregnancy causes hormonal changes that result in more weight gain (even when you throw up most of your food) and so can hormone pills such as birth control. Thyroid medications can cause changes in how the body gains or loses weight.

Some medications can speed up the metabolism (and body movement) and cause weight loss.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    This thread is GOLD. You have nearly everyone arguing. Yet they're all saying the SAME THING.

The sky's blue!
    No, it's not. The sky's blue!
    You don't know what your'e talking about - Blue. Science!
    Just because it's blue there doesn't mean it's blue here. It's blue!

Uuuum, actually, it's blue!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Then why am I personally not fat with all those excess fat stores???? Or better yet why aren't all woman fat who use Birth control????

I personally have been on the pill, depo, mirneax2 now depo again...for the last 20 years. I should be hugeeeeeeeeee...

but Im not...:drinker: interesting how that works.

Post Removed

Really now have you read the ToS of this site personal attacks are not allowed...and can get you warned, temp banned and posts removed...but since you just joined and have made 3 posts, have no friends and are 22 (about the same age as my young man) I will assume you have some growing up to do and perhaps a little hungry...

And just as an FYI I will be sure to tell my very well rounded and nice young man I had and raise how certian people feel on the internet his response will be "yah they talk tough through a keyboard"

...along with my oh so handsome foxy husband..

but seriously...you are too funny
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Most chemical birth control methods are very low calorie, so ingesting or injecting should not immediately result in a large caloric surplus. They're not even worth logging, imo. Thank you for reading this insightful point.
  • lolmynameiskate
    Options
    I've already posted my very short vague story, but I'll go into more detail.

I was anorexic for 5 years. I started my recovery at 15. I went from 92 to a stable 118ish pounds at a stable 800 calories a day with regular tracking. I reached 118 when I was 16.
    I've tracked every single item of food since I started recovery and still do to this day. I can't go over 800 calories to save my life, just won't happen, too much food for me.
    I exercise 4 days a week, 2 hours a day and have been since I was 16 and reached my goal weight.
    I'm 20 now. I've been on 5 birth controls. Ortho Tri Cyclen for 3 years, Kariva for 2 months, some generic for 1 month, Emoquette for 9 months, and I was switched to Daysee 8 weeks ago.
    I have not changed anything, not even started eating fast food. I still eat organic and according to the correct food pyramid, still 800 calories give or take 30 calories, diet is consistent, I exercise the same amount, the same activities. I work at a hospital now too for 12 hours a day/5 days a week, so that's even more walking, AND I still pack my own lunch and dinner(in case you decide to pick apart my story).
    I've ALWAYS been able to stabilize my weight at 118 with 800 calories a day, and exercise.

But what do you know? 8 weeks later on Daysee, and I'm 124 and still slowly gaining. No increased appetite, NOTHING.

I don't care if you tell me 'well your metabolism slowed down, you better eat LESS and exercise MORE"
    I EAT 800 CALORIES A DAY, WORKOUT 2 HOURS A DAY, AND ON TOP OF THAT AM ALWAYS ON MY FEET 12 HOURS OF THE DAY. And you're telling me it's STILL my fault??

so thanks.
    I'm glad YOU didn't gain weight or it actually WAS your fault, but for some of us, It's Not, and it never will be with certain changes that happened to my body.

I informed my doctor and he said it slowed my metabolism down and I have water retention from the pill. He said if I eat less than the 800 calories already or exercise more, then I will slow my metabolism even more due to entering starvation mode and will only gain more weight.

So I guess I don't have an option, cause I'm such a huge fat *kitten* over here on birth control eating 800 calories a day.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Most chemical birth control methods are very low calorie, so ingesting or injecting should not immediately result in a large caloric surplus. They're not even worth logging, imo. Thank you for reading this insightful point.

We actually agree...:drinker:

But don't bother trust me...even if you say yes your hormones could be screwy and that may have an affect but watch that etc you still get argued with...see last post

Speaking of which trackign is one thing...but do you weight your food...

Oh and a doctor saying you will go "into starvation mode" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I would get a new doctor.
  • lolmynameiskate
    Options

But don't bother trust me...even if you say yes your hormones could be screwy and that may have an affect but watch that etc you still get argued with...see last post by the young hungry one.

Oh and a doctor saying you will go "into starvation mode" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I would get a new doctor.
    You've never dealt with anorexia and the recovery.
    Tracking is a very serious, so yes. I do weigh my food and I've ate the same food breakfast lunch and dinner the whole time with very slight deviations that are still healthy and organic.

Starvation Mode is a thing for ones that suffer from anorexia. It was extremely easy for me to gain weight after my diet of 100 calories a day with almost every day all day of exercising. I gained all that weight in a matter of 9 months with a few relapses and struggles because my metabolism was so slowed down.
    But I really don't need to explain it to you cause you have your head so far shoved up your *kitten* that you won't listen to anyone else cause YOU'VE never experienced anything like this so it NEVER happens.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    People sometimes have triggers, that are a point in their lives, at which time they gain weight (and they'd never gained excess weight before that). Some of those things could be illness, pregnancy, medications, a major life loss or stress or change of some sort. Most of the time that is what people are talking about. It doesn't bother me when people talk about the circumstances of their lives in which they gained weight. And with the awareness of that, they can prevent it the next time they encounter those same life changes and circumstances.

Edit: I wasn't following the conversation, this was not in response to the conversation above me.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

But don't bother trust me...even if you say yes your hormones could be screwy and that may have an affect but watch that etc you still get argued with...see last post by the young hungry one.

You've never dealt with anorexia and the recovery.
    Tracking is a very serious, so yes. I do weigh my food and I've ate the same food breakfast lunch and dinner the whole time with very slight deviations that are still healthy and organic.

Starvation Mode is a thing for ones that suffer from anorexia. It was extremely easy for me to gain weight after my diet of 100 calories a day with almost every day all day of exercising. I gained all that weight in a matter of 9 months with a few relapses and struggles because my metabolism was so slowed down.
    But I really don't need to explain it to you cause you have your head so far shoved up your *kitten* that you won't listen to anyone else cause YOU'VE never experienced anything like this so it NEVER happens.

Of course it was easy to gain weight after eating 100 calories a day...

As for starvation mode ....yes anorexics could very easily be starving...but if you are recovering and weigh 118-124lbs you are not going into "starvation mode"...

As fo where my head is...

In this post http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

for this thread

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1084912-good-starvation-mode-article

which takes you to this

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

*off to find my bingo card I think I got a square*
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Some meds and Birth Control aren't for everyone, if you have no issues consider yourself lucky...and really it doesn't concern you and there's no need to get flippant over others who have had senstivities to common products other don't have problems with.

If you do...well BC is a easier thing to drop and come up with another method of preventing pregnancy. I haven't taken for over 7 years...going off was the best thing I ever did.

I feel bad for others on meds that they absolutely have no other options :(

Yeah, BC isn't for everyone. It gave me headaches all day and kept me up all night, every night throwing up. they said I would adjust, but I just kept throwing up. I also threw up all nine months for both pregnancies. People do have different responses to strong hormonal changes and levels.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Its crazy to me how some cannot fathom others meds being the reason.

I mean I was on 5 meds for two years, three of them notorious for weight gain but I didnt gain weight; I lost it. Became quite thin.

my point is even though that was my personal experience doesn't mean im going to discredit others situation.

Stop being so darn closed minded. Geez louiz lol

Because your body cannot create extra weight out of thin air. Why is that so hard to understand?

There are many explanations of why different medications have a tendency to cause users to gain or lose weight. But none of them have to do with anything magic.

1. Water weight
    2. Increased appetite
    3. Decreased NEAT
    4. Increased NEAT
    5. Decreased appetite

I would say that it is probably very rare that a medication actually causes someone's BMR to drop. In fact I don't know of any that do.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    People sometimes have triggers, that are a point in their lives, at which time they gain weight (and they'd never gained excess weight before that). Some of those things could be illness, pregnancy, medications, a major life loss or stress or change of some sort. Most of the time that is what people are talking about. It doesn't bother me when people talk about the circumstances of their lives in which they gained weight. And with the awareness of that, they can prevent it the next time they encounter those same life changes and circumstances.

Edit: I wasn't following the conversation, this was not in response to the conversation above me.

True, and with many things maybe you can do things differently when you encounter them. For example, I was aware that going into surgical menopause may possibly cause an issue with weight gain and was diligent about monitoring food, being active, etc. But then there are those WTF things that come out of nowhere that you have no way to plan for and nothing you could really do about it. For example, in April I started gaining weight and didn't know why. I adjusted my intake (as you can see I came to MFP soon after), but still gained a lot. No way to know without getting a doc's opinion that I had a large tumor on my thyroid. Some things just can't be planned for.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Maybe you can explain to me then why I gained 50 pounds in 2 months when I was 16 and went on the pill when there were no other changes in food and exercise? Medicines can certainly change the metabolism and mess with hormones. It's a fact. it has nothing to do with calories.

Totally agree with everyone else who has said some version of this.

I gained 10 lb that showed 100% as a bloated horrible roundness in my face in 14 days of being on steroids for a spider bite. It was awful. It wasn't the food I consumed, which was actually less than usual due to being in shock and extremely upset because the doctors talked about amputating my leg where the bite was.

Water weight.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    When I was younger, I used to be fit and healthy... until I hit puberty. I ballooned up to almost 320 lbs, lost my memory, and many other things. Turned out I had a pituitary tumor that affected my hormones and sent me spiraling into my vast body. It was not a matter of me eating too much, my hormones were all out of whack.

So maybe until you know a situation, do not make judgement on others.

Why is everyone taking her post so personally?

You didn't end up 320 lbs without eating for it. Whatever hormonal disruption occurred, clearly changed how fast you were growing and your appetite. No one can manufacture fat, muscle or bone out of thin air. I think that is all that is being said.

ETA: I wanted to make it clear that *I* am not assigning blame to people who either took a medication and gained weight, or lost weight. I've been there and done that. Pituitary tumor - been there done that too. In each instance I know that I either ate more due to increased appetite or ate less due to decreased, as well as moved around a lot more on one (it made me antsy).

There are reasons why medications cause weight gain, and they are understandable. BC for certain causes massive water weight gains in some, and that doesn't entail eating any extra food.

Someone mentioned beta blockers. They slow the heart rate, which is going to cause a decrease in burned energy. You are also hard pressed to get your heart rate up when on those (been there done that one too), so exercise is less likely to burn as many calories as you would expect. Again, an easily understandable reason why someone's NEAT would drop when on them.

Frustration - I get that! For me, I was able to change medications and return to my normal weight. My pituitary surgery went well and I lost the extra lbm I had put on once my hormone levels were normal again. I was very lucky. I feel for those who are still struggling!
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I was on a progestin only birthcontrol for a year, because of my migraines.

When I went off the birth control in early 2013, I actually began to slowly gain weight. I know it's not because of the birth control, but I do think going off the b/c influenced cravings. Or at least been part of the problem.

Sometimes people lose weight on birth control. Again, I do agree with you. It has more to do with how the birth control affects our hormones personally and then how we react to them. Some people want to eat more and others have more control over their appetite.