Eat McDonald's, lose wight, set terrible example

Options

Replies

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Real food (see where I'm going with this?) Most commercial dog foods have nothing but garbage and fillers. Usually the first ingredient is corn, which is not digestible and simply becomes a product of waste, with no nutritional value. It is also the #1 most common allergen in dogs. Over 50% of the dog population will develop an illness or early onset death due to a lack of nutrition (they were fed grocery store food) Do a little bit of research on nutrition. I worked in the dog food industry for years and use it as a basis for what I feed myself. Dogs are not so unlike people in terms of basic nutritional needs. But I digress... My dogs (and my family) get natural food with natural (nutritional) ingredients.

You state corn is the #1 allergen to dogs - the top allergens to humans are milk, eggs, peanuts, fish, soy and wheat. So I hope you don't ever feed anyone these things. Ever. Nevermind if they're actually allergic to it or not.

Corn no nutritional value - humans have similar problems where MOST of the corn offers no real value to us. We eat it anyway.

Corn #1 ingredient in dog food? What dog food are you buying?

Purina Large Dog Breed - chicken, rice,poultry, corn gluten meal, whole grain wheat, soybean meal
    Purina One Chicken & Rice - chicken, rice, corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, poultry, whole grain wheat

Iams even sells "grain free" dog food in case your dog DOES have a genuine corn allergy. Just because someone sells it doesn't mean it's awful.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Real food (see where I'm going with this?) Most commercial dog foods have nothing but garbage and fillers. Usually the first ingredient is corn, which is not digestible and simply becomes a product of waste, with no nutritional value. It is also the #1 most common allergen in dogs. Over 50% of the dog population will develop an illness or early onset death due to a lack of nutrition (they were fed grocery store food) Do a little bit of research on nutrition. I worked in the dog food industry for years and use it as a basis for what I feed myself. Dogs are not so unlike people in terms of basic nutritional needs. But I digress... My dogs (and my family) get natural food with natural (nutritional) ingredients.

You state corn is the #1 allergen to dogs - the top allergens to humans are milk, eggs, peanuts, fish, soy and wheat. So I hope you don't ever feed anyone these things. Ever. Nevermind if they're actually allergic to it or not.

Corn no nutritional value - humans have similar problems where MOST of the corn offers no real value to us. We eat it anyway.

Purina Large Dog Breed - chicken, rice,poultry, corn gluten meal, whole grain wheat, soybean meal
    Purina One Chicken & Rice - chicken, rice, corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, poultry, whole grain wheat

Iams even sells "grain free" dog food in case your dog DOES have a genuine corn allergy. Just because someone sells it doesn't mean it's awful.

Well to be fair, that second ingredient is just a filler (rice) and takes the place of corn.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    So much stretching in here. Getting people to read an article is not propaganda. Evidence and information is actually propaganda's kryptonite (sorry, watched Superman last night).

Also, I eat at McDonalds once a week and have never had a Big Mac.

You should try one...they're delicious...

...and if you really want to be healthy, ask them to omit the superfluous middle bun.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Well to be fair, that second ingredient is just a filler (rice) and takes the place of corn.

Yeah, but chicken and rice is the ultimately ideal food combination.

DYEoptimallyeat, brah?
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    HOw is this a terrible example? Isn't showing that you can make healthy choices and stick to a diet even if you are rushed for time or on a short budget a good thing?

This.

Except, those arent healthy choices. Healthier than, say supersizing a Big Mac meal? Sure. But healthier and healthy are not the same thing.

Being rushed for time or on a short budget are cop-out excuses. Nothing mentally healthy about being dishonest about motivations.

People eat fast food because they like it.

Just out of curiosity, what counts as a healthy choice in your world? In mine, oatmeal, salads, eggs, and grilled chicken are staples and I'm doing alright. Having someone else put it together for me wouldn't change the nutritional makeup of the ingredients. I'm probably doing it all wrong, though - organic free range unicorn meat is sadly out of my price range.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    HOw is this a terrible example? Isn't showing that you can make healthy choices and stick to a diet even if you are rushed for time or on a short budget a good thing?

This.

Except, those arent healthy choices. Healthier than, say supersizing a Big Mac meal? Sure. But healthier and healthy are not the same thing.

Being rushed for time or on a short budget are cop-out excuses. Nothing mentally healthy about being dishonest about motivations.

Just out of curiosity, what counts as a healthy choice in your world? In mine, oatmeal, salads, eggs, and grilled chicken are staples and I'm doing alright. Having someone else put it together for me wouldn't change the nutritional makeup of the ingredients. I'm probably doing it all wrong, though - organic free range unicorn meat is sadly out of my price range.
    Well you'll probably get cancer and your limbs will fall off. Ideally you should eat the meat while the animal is still alive.
  • Hornsby
    Options

DYEoptimallyeat, brah?

Carbs are bad, brah. Can't feed those to my dogs, or cat for that matter.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    IN for boxed food....

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=27019374
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

This.

It's really not as expensive as you think. Look for it near the SPAM.

unicornmeat.jpg
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    depends what u get.......
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

DYEoptimallyeat, brah?

I'd eat nothing but copious amounts of chicken, because bulking, brah...

...but I need some rice carbs to fuel my workouts, brah.

If you don't eat carbs and end up going keto (which is just sciency speak for catabolic, brah), you'll lose all yer mad gainz, brah.
  • Hornsby
    Options

DYEoptimallyeat, brah?

I'd eat nothing but copious amounts of chicken, because bulking, brah...

...but I need some rice carbs to fuel my workouts, brah.

If you don't eat carbs and end up going keto (which is just sciency speak for catabolic, brah), you'll lose all yer mad gainz, brah.

Sorry brah, I just take a shot of diesel fuel to get me through my WOD...brah.

Lol.
  • BostonStrong617
    Options
    I was literally ecstatic when I read this because its a giant **** you punch on the face to all those clean eating holier than thou ****tards who think they deserve an award for eating nothing but Quinoa & oatmeal. Nothing against clean eating if that's what you're about but shut the **** up about how fantastic you are and how those of us that don't shop exclusively at Grain N Simple are slowly killing ourselves while you are just so much better than the rest of the human race with your organic free range chicken cooked in Ghee.

Losing weight+ getting healthier is as simple as Eat LESS and move MORE, It's completely necessary and still 100 percent possible to lose weight and *GASP* be HEALTHY (Yes HEALTHY) while consuming fast food such as Mcd's.

Not to mention Mcd's gets **** on all the time when places like Wendy's, BK, Popeyes, KFC etc are SO SO SO SO much worse. Out of all the fast food MCd's actually has the most as far as healthy options...except for maybe like Chick FIl A or an actual sandwich shop.

Edit**

We can't swear on there now? It's like that one episode of Family Guy on here

PS- OP this wasn't directed at you, but at loud mouth clean eaters who feel the need to talk about how much better their methods of weight loss are
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    Why are people dragging dogs and cats into this? People =/= cats or dogs.

Cats in particular are carnivores. You try to feed a cat a high carb or (worse) a vegetarian diet, and you're going to cause a sick cat

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/thedailyvet/jlee/2011/nov/can_cats_dogs_be_vegetarian-11893

PetMD:
    "cats are strict carnivores. While there are cat vegetarian and vegan diets commercially available, these are never recommended by veterinarians {...} cats that are fed vegetarian or vegan diets are at high risk for life-threatening deficiencies in amino acids. It’s not worth the fatal risk."

Cats don't belong in the debate about what people should eat.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options

I am over-the-top bothered by this. This guy - a teacher no less - chose McDonald's for this interesting demonstration of watching macros and calories. I don't like McDonald's (except for breakfast stuff like McMuffins). He could have chosen Taco Bell, or Carl's Jr., and I would have a lot more interest and respect.
    He was on the Today show yesterday. He was showing what you can do with McDonald's food and be lose weight. He is entering the second stage with his students. March 15th I believe he'll be through stage 2. If you open your mind amazing things can happen.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Oh, and he started walking 45 minutes every day. Eating healthy, at a reasonable caloric level, and exercise. Sound familiar?
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Why are people dragging dogs and cats into this? People =/= cats or dogs.

Cats in particular are carnivores. You try to feed a cat a high carb or (worse) a vegetarian diet, and you're going to cause a sick cat

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/thedailyvet/jlee/2011/nov/can_cats_dogs_be_vegetarian-11893
    "cats are strict carnivores. While there are cat vegetarian and vegan diets commercially available, these are never recommended by veterinarians {...} cats that are fed vegetarian or vegan diets are at high risk for life-threatening deficiencies in amino acids. It’s not worth the fatal risk."

Cats don't belong in the debate about what people should eat.

So, cats shouldn't eat cat food? Ever? Vets never recommend cat food at all? Because they have plenty of items in them that aren't carnivorous.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    samaritan.jpg
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    So much stretching in here. Getting people to read an article is not propaganda. Evidence and information is actually propaganda's kryptonite (sorry, watched Superman last night).

Also, I eat at McDonalds once a week and have never had a Big Mac.

You should try one...they're delicious...

...and if you really want to be healthy, ask them to omit the superfluous middle bun.

Isn't that just a double quarter pounder?
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    So, cats shouldn't eat cat food? Ever? Vets never recommend cat food at all? Because they have plenty of items in them that aren't carnivorous.

This is how debates on MyFitnessPal get stupid.

Talk to a vet.

This isn't controversial material or even in veterinary debate. Cats are carnivores. Commercially available cat foods that are not primarily (at times virtually exclusively) meat or meat and bone meal by-products HAVE to have taurine (as well as a host of other amino acids) specifically added to the feed or the food will be recalled. Without those supplemental amino-acids and additives, grain-based feed will kill the cat. (See any list of pet food recalls. If taurine and other amino acid additives are left out -- even by accident -- the companies are required to recall the food.) The supplements aren't necessary for a cat living off of meat because they naturally occur in meat. They are necessary and required in commercial feed because they are absent in plant-based food (or may be at inadequate levels in a food with more grain than meat in it). Without those additives to the feed, the cats would eventually die of heart failure. It's not a debate. Additives such are taurine are regulated in commercial cat food because of this. They are required because cats are carnivores and a vegetarian or primarily grain-based diet without such additives are lethal to cats.

Again, dragging cats into the high carb/low carb debate for humans is absurd. People are not cats and cats are not people. It's dumb to think they're interchangeable. See also: the fact that chocolate will kill a cat or dog, while humans find it to be delicious.