no alcohol challenge!

Options

Replies

• helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I've quit for January and am being sponsored for it for Cancer Research, My drinking had become a nightly affair and definitely feeling the benefits now after 8 days but it's definitely harder than I thought it would be which is rather worrying!
    I've raised £65 so far for a very good cause and I am getting better skin and weight loss out of it!
    yay!
  • BreeJaxon
    BreeJaxon Posts: 128
    Options
    I'm in, time for this for sure :)
  • JJHnIOWA
    Options
    As a recovering alcohlic (been sober 2 years) this is a really tough subject for me.

Everyone asks me since i quit, DID YOU LOSE WEIGHT?

My embarrassed answer was/is no.

A lot of times we just change addictions, so guess what I did? Yep, starting eating even more to make up for it!

My wife says i don't look so "puffy" anymore but the weight is still there.

Now i have begun to hopefully tackle #2.

I think anything in moderation is probably the best bet as we know what we are like.

I can not do this, because 1 beer would lead to 12 more. I drank to get drunk.

Looking back on it, i need to approach alcohol like it is pure evil. It tried to destroy me, my family.

I don't care what i do, even if i stay overweight, i can not go back to that.

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm probably going to go out to dinner once this month, and I might get a beer with my meal. But, I'm in support of people that want to take a break, cut down, or stop. I drank in high school. In college I drank a few times, but I was usually having so much fun dancing that I didn't drink. and the few times I did often did not turn out fun for me. And drinking is a very fine line for me. It usually takes down the walls to my ability to moderate my emotions, so I can get emotional in ways that are better dealt with rationally. After college I didn't drink at all for ten years. I started to again a little bit in my 30's because it was something that other mothers seemed to do for fun. But, like other people described I have an extremely low tolerance. That was why I rarely drank in college and stopped during my 20's. So moderation or not at all is good for me. My husband doesn't drink at all. He has never drank. So, it doesn't really fit in with our lifestyle. There is a lot of addiction in my family and health problems resulting from that, so I'm also always glad to be a support to family members by not drinking. I agree that moderation is fine. And taking a month break is moderation. I guess moderation means different things, but having a drink once a month or less is one way to have moderation. Cutting out or cutting back on alcohol is very different from doing that with food. I know people say you can drink in moderation and not feel hangovers. But, one drink is sometimes enough for me to have a headache, a tummy ache, and feel exhausted a few hours later. My tolerance level does seem to vary.
  • zrod81
    zrod81 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Friends, fiance and i just started a No Drinking contest as well. $100 each to go in and see who lasts the longest. We have one cheat day a month and even that will be hard considering that we love to go out and have a good time!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    As a recovering alcohlic (been sober 2 years) this is a really tough subject for me.

A lot of times we just change addictions, so guess what I did? Yep, starting eating even more to make up for it!

I think anything in moderation is probably the best bet as we know what we are like.

Looking back on it, i need to approach alcohol like it is pure evil. It tried to destroy me, my family.

Congratulations!!!!

Dont beat yourself up, lots of people trade one addiction for another, many turn to food, gambling or shopping when they get sober to help cope. I gained 4 pounds when I first got sober then lost 20. I started exercising my 3rd year in sobriety and lost the rest of my weight.

Good luck!
  • cindydufield
    cindydufield Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am in - hoping to get to March!
  • rfw24
    rfw24 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Since I started to changemy habits, less alcohol was one of my goals. I have done a good job so far. I am not quitting totally, I enjoy it to much. But I have cut down a lot. I used to drink at least 12 to 18 beers a week, every week. Now I am at around 4 or 5 on average.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

It can be done 23yrs here! You learn to level out the Roller Coaster. Its pretty much the same concept ODAT:wink:
  • kmg4805
    Options
    I am partially with you on this. I have only been allowing myself to drink 2x per week and I cannot exceed 2 glasses of wine on either of those days. I took a break from alcohol after Thanksgiving until Christmas and it was amazing how much of a difference it made. I was averaging 1-2 glasses per day which I didn't think was that crazy but my sleep improved tremendously! You have my full support!
  • ananda403
    ananda403 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was going to cut out alcohol for January too but it didn't work. I had a glass of wine when I went out with friends Saturday night and a beer Sunday when we had a friend over for game night. They tasted good but I had all those calories for what? Its not like I even had enough to be the life of the party, I just sat there feeling guilty. I definitely won't fall off the wagon again!

So, so easily done after all its the world smallest wagon difficult to climb onto and oh so easy to slip off :)

lol I've never heard that before, that's funny!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    took the no alcohol challenge after crashing my car, bike, lawn mower and finally getting a DWI

some of us are responsiblity challenged
  • EplusThree
    EplusThree Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I took December off (I know, I know) but am back! Started a no drinking challenge on New years day until my birthday (january 31st). I'm on day 8 and wow, all I can say is alcohol is looking very over-rated right now. So much motivation and better sleep to kick off 2014! Looking for some friends to support my weight loss in 2014. Please feel free to add! I have about 15-20 lbs to go, and looking to start the new years off right!

My birthday is the 29th and I've made the very same challenge for myself!! I'm supposed to have a girls night next Friday and my pregnant friend offered to drive and buy me a few drinks. I honestly have no desire to drink and I've been running 2 miles a day, 5 days a week. Good luck to you, almost-birthday-twin :)
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I tend to snack as well when I drink. I don't get hangovers so weird, because I can drink a lot, get buzzed to where I want to be, and can wake up rested for work-I am down for that and must be doing something right. I drink less in public then I do at home and do not recall a moment where I drank so much I puked or fell or not remember the night!
    I think having these breaks is helpful for an addict like me on the right track and. I have kamkacthki(cheap)vodka in my cupboard and thats it. Its at the bottom and probably won't have anymore for a long while. I can't drink every week like that and wouldn't want to. I used be a drug user and smoker so I have to be extra careful on how often I drink so I check myself to see how I am doing very often to not let the habit I DO have get out of control :) Its all in moderation and how you feel. Don't over do it and learn to know what you can handle and willing to sacrifice when you do drink. And def. no drinking and driving. If I have no more than 1 shot or glass of wine I will only allow to drive to store down the road and back, if I have any more then its a no. Or I ask hubby to go instead or just lose out on what I need and it waits till the next day when I am not drinking.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    im not sure which is worse: the no alcohol challenge or the no *kitten* challenge. I say hell no to both LOL
  • RedArizona5
    Options
    NO *kitten* CHALLENGE? what is that? *kitten*? And why do I feel the need to embrace myself all the sudden before i find out.:)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    im not sure which is worse: the no alcohol challenge or the no *kitten* challenge. I say hell no to both LOL

I thought you don't drink alcohol. :huh:
  • RedArizona5
    Options

She said H\\\ no to both-meaning no to alcohol don't be soo confused:smile::smile:
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

She said H\\\ no to both-meaning no to alcohol don't be soo confused:smile::smile:

she be trollin me. its all good:)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

she be trollin me. its all good:)

Right. Get your story straight. :flowerforyou: