Loose Skin- the real deal

Options

Replies

• sonhando
    sonhando Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You look great! Congratulations on all your hard work.
  • kplynn
    kplynn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    AMAZING JOB!
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
    I have lost 138pds and have loose skin but ill take that over being 330pds anyday!
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I really needed this post today, sir.

Great loss, and thank you for this post.
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    First off, you have done an INCREDIBLE job of taking charge of your health. Secondly, while I understand the self esteem issues tied up in this, I think you have a great attitude about it. Personally, I see my stretch marks and loose skin as a reminder of where I've come from and where I'll never go again. It's a constant reminder of how easy it is to become unhealthy and bigger than I should be, and that every good decision matters. So proud of you!
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Why should have skin reduction surgery? Losing weight and getting muscles doesn't make women throw themselves at me or gotten me a super awesome job. So having some loose skin isn't going to make me a bad person. I have to say I don't feel great about having all the extra skin but it isn't the end of the world. I even have some lose skin on my arms and they stayed almost the same size as I lost all the weight. Once the skin gets detached from the muscle it doesn't matter what you do. Just wanted to let people know almost all the factors of getting lose skin are out of your control(other then surgery).

Thank you for your post OP!!! You look amazing!!!! I have loose skin too, mostly my belly and some on my arms and thighs. I was pretty overweight when I was little too. Don't know if I will learn to accept having loose skin, or if I will eventually turn to surgery. I agree though, losing all this weight hasn't changed much of anything except for my confidence in myself, (most of the time). I do have more energy, though. Congratulations to you! You've come so far, and you look super HAWWWTTTT!!! :happy: :love: :drinker:
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If I could get it for free I wouldn't turn it down.

Considering it can take up to six months before you're fully functional after a full-body lift, I'd totally turn it down even if it was free. You know what six months out of the gym will do to my squat? *kitten* THAT! :tongue:

Congratulations, man. You look freaking incredible. :drinker:
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 114 pounds - I'm only 5'5". I have A LOT of loose skin, and it really really sucks. It's mostly cosmetic, yes, and that's not the most important thing. On this, we agree. But there are certainly bound to be some self-esteem issues wrapped-up in this (at least, there are for me). It's also a bit defeating to work so very hard to get to/near your goal weight, but then to still feel uncomfortable with your body - uncomfortable wearing a bathing suit, etc. I understand what people are saying about how this isn't the main issue, your health is, but there's no denying that it still sucks. Big time.

I am about 20 pounds from my goal weight and, when I get there, I'm hoping to go back to my doctor to ask them again to try and work with my insurance on the needed surgery. I went about a year ago and insurance denied the procedures (for chest and stomach). I'm hoping that, having lost more weight and, more important, body fat %, they might reconsider this as truly necessary - it does cause back pain, sometimes rashes, and makes running/jumping more difficult (because the skin literally flops around and hangs down from my arms, stomach). I may be worse off than some/many, but I really understand those who are asking about and I wish people wouldn't just dismiss the problem outright as if it's not an issue. For some of us, it's pretty bad.

All that being said - don't let it deter you from getting to your goal. I did fall into that trap, once. I got very discouraged when I neared my goal a year ago, and my anxiety over this caused me to gain some weight back. That was NOT worth it. Keep doing what you can, what you need to, and, if you're in a situation like mine - well, hopefully you have better insurance or the means to save money and get skin removal surgery. I'll get there, one day. :)

Document every rash with photos, every back pain with doctor visit, medication cost, it did the trick for me, at leas insurance paid a portion.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Loose skin or not...pretty darn impressive. Your attitude, your hard work, the way your muscles look...all of it.
  • KingOfTheBurke
    Options
    You amazing physical transformation has been well-covered, and I have little more to add except one more heartfelt "Congatulations!"

To me, though, the most striking thing is your attitude. There's something about your unflinching self image, broad perspective, and intolerance for BS that imply a mental fortitude that's just as impressive as the fruits of all those hours in the gym. I wish you were my neighbor or co-worker.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    ok i still dont know how to post pics in a thread, but i put up my pics as to where i am now on my profile.. you can see my before pics in my pictures. i started at 370 and my profile pic is me today in the 160;s.. im still working on it goal weight is 135.. i am worried about starting to get loose skin with the last 30 pounds.but your post inspires me.
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am so impressed with your weight loss and your dedication to health!

You look great skin and all. I would much rather have loose skin than have the same skin full of fat! Here is to you!!:drinker:

You should be VERY proud!
  • jmapes9
    jmapes9 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Very nice work, CrusaderSam. I've been doing strength training 3 days a week for several months. Already seeing results, but nothing as nice as yours. I've lost 171 since March of 2012, and although I still have about 28 pounds to lose, my loose skin is hanging VERY similar to yours.

Thanks for posting this. You rock.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    You amazing physical transformation has been well-covered, and I have little more to add except one more heartfelt "Congratulations!"

To me, though, the most striking thing is your attitude. There's something about your unflinching self image, broad perspective, and intolerance for BS that imply a mental fortitude that's just as impressive as the fruits of all those hours in the gym. I wish you were my neighbor or co-worker.
    Very well put! I second you.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    you're still young and maybe in another few years it will look much better
    I'd love to see some photos of anyone who was overweight for that long and lost that much, even slowly, who ended up with minimal loose skin and an almost flat belly (without surgery). To me, that seems as realistic as the tooth fairy. I'm not saying that to be snarky, that's just the best way I can put it!

So...anyone?
    As the OP said: post up some before and after pics or it didn't happen

<- Not that long (was skinny fat before slowly becoming fat, was obese for a little more than 5 years), and not quite that much weight, but my avi has about 90 lbs less fat that when I started.

However I lost 75 lbs then bulked, cut, bulked, and cut before my avi shot was taken, gaining 15 lbs of muscle and losing an additional 15 lbs fat during the bulk-cut cycles.

I have zero loose skin now, but I definitely had the deflated balloon look going on after my initial 75 lb loss.

The first 2 months bulking had an amazing effect on the loose skin that I had (I wasn't terribly lean at the time either, about 20%). Being in a sustained high protein calorie surplus made a huge difference. It isn't just good for growing muscle, all body processes that require growth and repair are supercharged.

Got any pics of when you started the bulk and when you got done with the first one?
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Amazing results and brutal honesty! Love both! Probably one of the best threads I've ever seen on MFP... Thanks for posting and congrats on your success... Your a real motivation.
  • Irishoats
    Options
    Thank you for posting.
  • biddie1
    biddie1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    We would love to see your pictures as well.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!