Planet Fitness removing squat racks? Aroo?

Options

Replies

• tnicmorris
    tnicmorris Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've got to say, for someone like me who was completely intimidated by going to the gym at the beginning of my weight loss journey, I was relieved and glad to have a place like Planet Fitness. I didn't feel as self-conscious or uncomfortable while I learned fitness. Now that I'm almost a year into my new lifestyle, I've grown more comfortable in a gym setting and would be confident enough to go to another gym. But I'm still grateful that I had my time at Pf in the beginning. I think if I had not had the experience there that I had, I would probably not be where I am now. Perhaps many people who go there are like me and actually need and appreciate their approach. What is so wrong with starting at PF and then moving on to something more advanced once you're ready?

Also, in my time there, I've never seen a squat rack but have seen and used lots of other amazing equipment including weight machines, all types of free weights, three different kinds of bike machines, treadmills, and ellipticals.

if you have been working out for a year and have never attempted a barbell squat or a deadlift then you are just setting yourself behind the eight ball as these are the moves that are going to provide the most gains and increase overall strength and aid in decreasing body fat..

Wouldn't you have rather spent a year learning all the necessary movements to make a better you? Rather than find out a year in that you now have to re-learn certain moves, and are, essentially, a newbie all over again?

Wow. I never said that. I have done squats, just not on a squat rack. I'd never even heard of such a thing and I have some pretty athletic and in shape friends and relatives. And I haven't done a deadlift because my goal in starting my journey was to start with cardio and ease myself into weight lifting. And I did that, by using the weight machines and getting a friend of mine to show me the correct form on the free weights. So, I did learn the proper form for some things and will continue to learn the proper form on other things as I advance. And I did in it a place where I didn't feel stupid while learning.

I'm not saying that people who are more serious about weight lifting should be satisfied with Planet Fitness. If PF doesn't have what you need for your regime, then by all means, don't waste your money there. But for those of us that Planet Fitness does help, don't make us feel less than because we're at the level that they are offering.

I am just trying to point out that you are missing out on two of the most efficient moves for increasing strength and reducing body fat…

I am saying that people that join a gym that restricts them from using two of the most efficient moves in the weight training tool box are missing out, and it is going to make their performance and/or goals suffer.

Well, I haven't missed out on squats, as I do them still. But, you are probably 100% right on me missing out on deadlifts...right now. I never said I didn't plan on doing them ever. I just wasn't ready before. I had to start out slow and work my way up. As I told another poster, I'll probably outgrow PF and when that day comes, I'll advance to something else. For me and my journey, PF was what I needed to get myself going in the beginning. And I'm thankful for that. I started out over 300 lbs and I've lost about 40. I've still got a LONG way to go, but I am confident that I can and will, and that's a direct result of me starting at PF and learning that I can.

That's all I'm saying.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Reading some of the posts, it's apparent that people are taking their own discomfort and somehow assigning blame for it on other people at the gym. Just because fit people make you uncomfortable, doesn't make them 'lunks', doesn't make them bad, and doesn't make them responsible for your discomfort. Perhaps what you should really be doing is overcoming your self-consciousness. That would make you a better person.

That's the real problem here. Planet Fitness could open an elliptical only gym and no one would give much of a damn - if they didn't call us all lunks. Heck, I weight 160 pounds and would set off the lunk alarm because on my fifth deadlift rep I generally let out a grunt of effort, and invariably put the weight down pretty heavy. Wait, deadlifts aren't allowed at all, because apparently just doing them makes me a lunk.

Let that sink in. A 5'11, 160lb guy is a 'lunk' because he is pushing himself to get stronger and fitter.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I think the point is not everyone wants or likes to lift. In addition if made to start with lifting someone may not stick with it. People have different goals and reasons for what they do.

But that's not really accurate, is it? They're not getting rid of free weights, or even all barbells. They'll still have bench press, obv. Gotta have bench press :eyeroll:

Makes me want to go to a PF and start doing hang snatches. I can't think of anything in their rules that prevents that, but it would likely give the employees an aneurysm.
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    *shrugs*

I like Planet Fitness. It's (relatively) close to where I live and it's cheap. My husband has the black card so I get to go for free as his guest. Any other gym we'd have to either get separate memberships or the "family pack" which isn't that much cheaper. The people who work there are wicked nice and friendly. Always saying hi when they see us on the floor and stopping to chat for a second. While I'd like to have a squat rack it's not really necessary. Neither is a billion pounds of free weights. If my goal was to bench 2x my body weight than yeah, I'd have an issue but that's not my goal. I lift heavy (for me) but I'm not aiming to be a power lifter or someone who struts around and asks how much others bench and then brag about how much I can lift. Don't get me wrong I think it's awesome that people can lift huge amounts of weight but what's the point but it's not about the amount that you lift but your form and really targeting the muscles that you're working (and FWIW that advice came from my huge body builder friend who was working out with us one day).

As for the removing of the squat racks again, it depends on the PF location as they're independently owned it's up to the owners as to what they want to do.

I also can deadlift at my PF without getting yelled at. I've done it in front of the owner and the manager and they've never stopped me.

I've barbell squatted in the past at the fitness center I used to go to where I worked. I've also squatted with the smith machine. I never felt I had to "relearn" the movements. If my gym were to put in a squat rack I'm pretty confident that even though I've been squatting with the smith machine that I'd be able to squat in a squat rack with perfect form.

We can squat and deadlift at our PF too.... only whatever I see frm staff is saying stuff to the folks that aren't wiping down (YAY) since in a session I got asked by the trainer why I wipe before and after.... go figure now they're enforcing more! Hope it's not a corporate thing and just that some are doing since it would stink to lose those
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I just wasn't ready before.

Whoever told you that was lying to you, probably for their own profit.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    lunk-alarm-640x250.jpg

For a place that forbids judgement, they are being awfully judgmental of poor Ricky. (hell, they even printed their judgement of him on the wall for everyone to see, how embarrassing!)

But seriously, the Planet Fitness I USED to go to never had squat racks to begin with, which is why I'm no longer a member.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    we're at the level that they are offering.

That doesn't really mean anything, honestly. There's no "level" you need to be at to do squats and deadlifts. I'm not sure what weight training you're doing at PF, but they clearly fail to offer the most effective tools out there for people in your situation.

There are levels. And the first one is "beginner". At least that's how it was for me. I didn't stay at the beginner level. I've progressed beyond that and I plan to progress beyond the level I am now to more advanced things. And working my way up slowing and adding different activities as I go is how I build discipline. It would mean nothing for me to start at a more advanced level, get frustrated with myself, and then quit. Which I have done in the past. But, when I started off slowly at a beginner's level, I gained confidence, strength, and discipline. And, when I outgrew the beginner's level activities, it made me want to push myself to more. That's all I'm saying. Joining PF helped me do that. I NEEDED that to get myself where I am to day and to help motivate me to more in the future. I will probably outgrow PF soon. And when I do, I'll move on to something else. And that's fine too. As a matter of fact, that was always my goal. The fact that I can say that I am outgrowing PF is a HUGE accomplishment for me when two years ago, a twenty minute walk was painful for me.

Are these Planet Fitness "levels"? These don't make any sense.

The absolute first thing I would teach an absolute, know-nothing newbie is how to squat. Period, end of story. It's the single most effective and efficient exercise you can do for fat loss, strength, and muscle development.

I'm happy for your progress and all, but you're really selling yourself short by convincing yourself (or letting other people convince you) that you're not ready for "real" exercise or something.

I know how to squat but due to several hernia surgeries I choose not to lift at all. My father is having knee replacement surgery and my mother has leg problems and they do not want or need to do squats. It is just not for everyone........
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else see this weird account of PF removing squat racks because people found them intimidating? That's just Reddit being garbage, right?
    http://elitedaily.com/sports/planet-fitness-cuts-squat-racks-facilities-quest-become-worst-gym/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=planet-fitness-cuts-squat-racks-facilities-quest-become-worst-gym

Whaaat????

I'd be so screwed. I treat the gym like I treat the grocery store--I stick to the outside perimeters mostly, where the free weights and the "make it yourself foods" are. However, I LIKE that my gym has a bunch of equipment, because it diverts attention and interest away from the free weights, so I can more readily use it. :tongue:
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    I've said this before, I think it's an absolutely a brilliant business model and they know exactly what they are doing. They are not after people who want a gym experience. They are after people that will pay $10 a month and never show up. It doesn't matter to them. They are not after most people here. It's not really a gym, you guys. It's so obvious. It's a membership to a "gym". So, someone can tell their friends, "I joined a gym", and then never go. The $10/month is so small that no one cancels. And, they have lots of people continuing to pay monthly fees that never show up. It's absolutely brilliant. They don't want you and me there because we use the *kitten* out of the place and put wear and tear on the equipment. You and I are not part of their business model.

It's is brilliant. I wish I thought of it first.

Same point I tried to make....business model as they are a business and can still help some...
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    PF is the devil.

Or just the redheaded step child of the fitness world.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I belong to 2 gyms, one of them being PF. The *only* reason I have the PF membership is because it is where by boyfriend and I work out together on the weekends; due to his work schedule, he needs to be at the gym earlier than most open for the day so the hours are best for him. That being said.....I cannot stand PF. The one I go to has about 5-6 Smith machines (no squat racks) and we have done deadlifts there without any hassle. BUT it is dirty, the equipment is old and crappy, and when it does break they are slow to get it fixed or it doesn't get fixed at all. The DB's only go up to 75lbs which is not a problem for me (yet) but is for my boyfriend (who also belongs to a gym near his office).

The madness with the pizza, bagels and Tootsie Rolls has caused me to rename it.....PLANET FATNESS.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    I've said this before, I think it's an absolutely a brilliant business model and they know exactly what they are doing. They are not after people who want a gym experience. They are after people that will pay $10 a month and never show up. It doesn't matter to them. They are not after most people here. It's not really a gym, you guys. It's so obvious. It's a membership to a "gym". So, someone can tell their friends, "I joined a gym", and then never go. The $10/month is so small that no one cancels. And, they have lots of people continuing to pay monthly fees that never show up. It's absolutely brilliant. They don't want you and me there because we use the *kitten* out of the place and put wear and tear on the equipment. You and I are not part of their business model.

Same point I tried to make....business model as they are a business and can still help some...

And this is all perfectly fine. But they can do it without calling us 'lunks' (still can't quite believe I can consider myself part of a group identified as 'lunks'). While at the same time claiming to be judgement free. I don't care whether it's good or bad business. I'm peeved by the hypocrisy.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Although my PF (all 3 of the locally) lack squat racks, they do still have BB's & Smiths. YES I know Smith's aren't great to use, but adapt to what you have. I can get enough done there so it's still a usable gym (for me).

I never partake in the pizza / bagel days, don't touch the tootsies and I come to workout. YES, they are currently FULL at the best times because of the Resolutionists, but I can't dis them - I was once one of THEM. I just try to workout around them or head to a different gym (my city only has 1 LOCATION - the next city 2 locations).

I've tried looking into 'lifting gyms" locally and yeah.... most are out of my price range (50+ a month) or ignored me - not kidding. The dude @ the front desk did a once over on me, snorted and walked away. I left - not the place I want (even though they had a drool inducing range of weights, racks, etc).

And just to point out @ my PF's - I've seen the gallon water jugs ALOT - I'm surprised (don't care, drink up). I've triggered the LUNK alarm before (accidentally dropped the bar - honestly) and still get "leered" at when in the weights section.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

There are many situations where heavy lifting is not something one can do. If you are in some sort of rehabilitative state or something, it might be perfect because it's super cheap, and you can hop on a stationary bike, or treadmill or whatever and do your exercise. So, it does have a place, for sure. There are probably thousands of people at my gym that have never touched a single weight, ever. And, my gyms kinda pricey. For those people, why not hit up PF?

Sure, why not? There is no problem with people using PF. The problem is with PF characterizing a group of people as 'lunks' and then reinforcing that stereotype in the mind's of it's members. That's just plain rude.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

And this is all perfectly fine. But they can do it without calling us 'lunks' (still can't quite believe I can consider myself part of a group identified as 'lunks'). While at the same time claiming to be judgement free. I don't care whether it's good or bad business. I'm peeved by the hypocrisy.

All this for me too, especially the part about self-identifying as a lunk. :laugh:

In school I used to make myself sick every Friday to get out of gym.
  • tnicmorris
    tnicmorris Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    we're at the level that they are offering.

That doesn't really mean anything, honestly. There's no "level" you need to be at to do squats and deadlifts. I'm not sure what weight training you're doing at PF, but they clearly fail to offer the most effective tools out there for people in your situation.

There are levels. And the first one is "beginner". At least that's how it was for me. I didn't stay at the beginner level. I've progressed beyond that and I plan to progress beyond the level I am now to more advanced things. And working my way up slowing and adding different activities as I go is how I build discipline. It would mean nothing for me to start at a more advanced level, get frustrated with myself, and then quit. Which I have done in the past. But, when I started off slowly at a beginner's level, I gained confidence, strength, and discipline. And, when I outgrew the beginner's level activities, it made me want to push myself to more. That's all I'm saying. Joining PF helped me do that. I NEEDED that to get myself where I am to day and to help motivate me to more in the future. I will probably outgrow PF soon. And when I do, I'll move on to something else. And that's fine too. As a matter of fact, that was always my goal. The fact that I can say that I am outgrowing PF is a HUGE accomplishment for me when two years ago, a twenty minute walk was painful for me.

Are these Planet Fitness "levels"? These don't make any sense.

The absolute first thing I would teach an absolute, know-nothing newbie is how to squat. Period, end of story. It's the single most effective and efficient exercise you can do for fat loss, strength, and muscle development.

I'm happy for your progress and all, but you're really selling yourself short by convincing yourself (or letting other people convince you) that you're not ready for "real" exercise or something.

Are you purposely misunderstanding me? Seriously, I'm not sure. Of course there are levels; there are levels of activity, levels of skill, levels of abilities, levels confidence. When I first decided that I wanted to get healthy, I couldn't do more than 7 minutes on an elliptical. I couldn't do free weights because I didn't know the form. I also hadn't done squats, lunges, planks, etc. But I slowly learned. I learned what exercises, like squats, lunges, planks, etc, were good for me and how to do them. And I started doing them regularly. And I would add on new exercises slowly. Over the course of a month or two, I gained stamina and strength. I could do cardio longer and could do more reps of strength training activities. And I gained more confidence in my ability to do even more. Also, my desire to learn bigger and better things increased. I was no longer a beginner in working out. I had advanced. That is what I mean by levels.

For the record:

I CAN do squats. I DO squats. Often. I don't particularly like them, but they ARE a part of my workout routine.

I HAVE used free weights. I had a friend teach me how because I didn't know the right form in the beginning. She taught me at PF

I HAVE used weight machines. In the beginning, I used them exclusively until a friend told me that free weights were better because you got a more complete core workout instead of just targeting certain muscle groups with the weight machines. She taught me at PF.

I HAVE and DO incorporate different kinds of strength training in with my cardio. I've done yoga, pilates, tai chi, free weights, etc. But I didn't always. In the beginning, I couldn't. I had to build up to this.
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    As someone with a history of a pair of nasty back injuries and knee injuries, squatting and dead lifting isn't on my agenda. It just isn't

There are a lot of people like me that will never use free weights. Older, injured, recuperating. JUST WANTING CARDIO. Or isolation machines so no risk of injury because you can do it right. Less risk of blowing out your back...

Now, I go to a gym that isn't PF and has every bell and whistle possible- and use a personal trainer 3 times a week so I don't blow out my knee again- but I can afford it and even when I was not working and putting someone through school- I made the money a priority. Literally. For everyone, that's not an option. Think of the people on fixed incomes that even 10 bucks is a lot of money. Hey, AT LEAST THEY'RE PUTTING MONEY INTO THEIR HEALTH.

I disagree with them calling people "lunks." But for 10 bucks a month to have an elliptical to work out on in the cold weather or when my knee was bothering me? Yeah, that's worth it.

And, as someone coming down from an astronomical weight- had I not been experienced with weights before my journey spiked in that direction? I would have found it LESS INTIMIDATING to go that route. And isn't it great that I could have? I mean, any movement- at one point in my life I couldn't get out of a wheelchair- AND THERE ARE LOTS OF PEOPLE LIKE THIS- is good, so getting on a treadmill or elliptical is exercise.

Don't judge what business model is good for someone else. You want weights, dont' go there. You want to get started doing some cardio, some free weights? Go there.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Planet-Fitness-PFX-10.jpg

Is it just me or does this look like one of the rooms in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory?