No more added or artificial sugar: who's with me?

Options
I want to write this down to help solidify my intentions into actually doing this. I want to see how long I can go without eating any added or artificial sugar. I know that it's only adding empty calories and I can get plenty of sweetness from natural sources. I can do this. Here we go! Who's with me?

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    0/10
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I cannot go along with that either. I used to try diets that eliminated certain foods like carbs, fat or something specific like sugar and it was never a sustainable plan for me. Once I found MFP, i realized that I could still have all the foods I love, just in moderation. It has been a revelation and has kept me from falling off the wagon this time. I have lost 126lbs in 17 months and have ice cream everyday. This is an excellent thread if you want to give it a read.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I catch the next bus. The "I'm Not Going to Eat Evil Sugar Anymore" bus seems to be a little too crowded today.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    That bus is guaranteed to break down soon, I'll pass. Rather, I'm gonna ride the no food is evil and I can eat whatever I want in moderation bus. But good luck to you!

eta.....please read the link Cindy posted.
  • Arne_becomesxXx
    Arne_becomesxXx Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I am with you. Sugar is so worthless! Even so, I am trying to eat paleo and low carb. It works for me and I don´t miss a sh.....
  • gabrielatardea
    Options
    agree .. wish i can resist it
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What's your goal?
    I'm going to suggest that your are creating "churn".
    These are activities that keep you busy but don't actually address the optimal path to achieving them.

Want to lose weight? Focus on reducing total cals.
    Want to eat healthier? Focus on eating locally produced, low processed, high variety and fresh foods.

There is no need to totally eliminate added or artificial sugars. By setting false tasks that are too difficult, you are setting yourself up to fail as they won't impact your real goals significantly.

See the link Cindy posted.

:flowerforyou:

Edit:word order
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I want to write this down to help solidify my intentions into actually doing this. I want to see how long I can go without eating any added or artificial sugar. I know that it's only adding empty calories and I can get plenty of sweetness from natural sources. I can do this. Here we go! Who's with me?

You will be rewarded with weight loss almost immediately!!!!!!!!! good for you! You must keep your total sugar at 10 percent of your calories, including all sugar... fruit as well

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I was going to say I do this but then realized my gum I chew everyday has it in it. :laugh:
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

It's not something I would choose to do (or believe is necessary). However I can respect your decision to take some active steps to do things which you believe will make your life better.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

You will be rewarded with weight loss almost immediately!!!!!!!!! good for you! You must keep your total sugar at 10 percent of your calories, including all sugar... fruit as well

Joanne Moniz

Random number is random.
  • KentWhiteRabbit
    KentWhiteRabbit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    What's your goal?
    I'm going to suggest that your are creating "churn".
    These are activities that keep you busy but don't actually address the optimal path to achieving them.

Want to lose weight? Focus on reducing total cals.
    Want to eat healthier? Focus on eating locally produced, low processed, high variety and fresh foods.

There is no need to totally eliminate added or artificial sugars. By setting false tasks that are too difficult, you are setting yourself up to fail as they won't impact your real goals significantly.

This ^^^

Being aware of sugar content and reducing artificial sweetners and added sugar intake is a fine goal, but concentrate on what you ARE eating rather what you're NOT. Maybe try to eat more fresh fruit and veg, good quality meat and fish and avoid (but don't ban) cakes, biscuits etc. I found by improving my diet in general I no longer crave that huge slab of carrot cake in Starbucks anymore. It's not that I can't have it more that I don't need it (in fact I wish they did smaller portions!).
    :happy:

Edit: missing words
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    i'll take the artificial sugars and forfeit the calories. lol
  • StephSickerott
    StephSickerott Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have cut out artificial sweetners, but I don't know about the "added" sweetners. I do tend to use Agave or Honey instead of straight sugar though, can't cut them out totally. I will cut out the poisonous artificial sweetners though!:smile:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Just to say technically they are not empty calories. In fact there is no such thing as an empty calorie. A calorie is a unit of energy sugar can provide it as much as any other food. Sugar though can is comparatively high in calories and reducing added sugar when not needed is a thing worth doing. Totally denying yourself though to me is a recipe for disaster. Any time people totally cut out items or foods from their diets it normally leads to them craving those things and they normally backslide in a big way. Why not just think of everything in moderation. A little sugar is not bad for you as long as you control your overall calorie intake you will lose weight and not deprive yourself for a needless reason
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz

Would love to know where you get your information? Why do you have to be under 10%? Is this a random number? I've never tracked my sugar and I've lost a little weight.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am there with you! On day 3 of the Whole30. Add me if you like!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I do a general "avoid added sugars". I don't really work that hard at it but when craving something sweet I look for the least added sugar choice that will satisfy the craving. I always consider, will an apple or orange satisfy this need for something sweet. If after a day or two or going that route, the desire for something sweet is still hanging on, I have ice cream.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

Looks very laudible, not sure how practical it is, or if it's medically necessary to cut *all* added sugars, but I say have a bash and see if it works. Just as long as you don't punish yourself if you fall off the wagon, there probably isn't any harm in it.
  • theresea1231
    theresea1231 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am with you on this! I see people complaining about totally cutting a certain food out of a diet but for some personalities, this is the best way to go. If I allow a little, the little becomes a little more, then a little more and so on. Cold turkey is the way to go for me. We are not all alike.