coffee lovers please help!

Options

Replies

• sarinabrewer
    Options
    I use chocolate stevia drops its zero calories.. or I just add dark chocolate almond milk... 1/4 cup is only 30 calories
  • run2bfree
    run2bfree Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I use stevia and cinnamon. I also like using NesCafe Instant, 1 tbsp in my protein shake in the afternoon - with chocolate protein its like a mocha! :) yum!

I just started having Vanilla Bean Coffee and putting Stevia in it. Its cal free and tastes ok.
  • unamoss
    unamoss Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm with some of those folks telling you not to give up something you love. :drinker: I'm almost 50 and if didn't have a cup of coffee in the morning I think my universe would implode. :explode:

I use Coffee Mate Natural Bliss vanilla creamer. I think it's 35 calories for 1 tbsp. It's a bit steep in the calorie department (I need 2 tbs) but it tastes pretty darn good. I'm with you, if it doesn't taste good it's hard to stomach. In fact, it's my big splurge of the day.

I've toyed with using the Torrani syrups and almond milk to get the total down, but for me personally, it's not as tasty and I'm trying to stay away from artificial sweeteners. You might be happy with the syrups. They have a million flavors (you can get them at Cost Plus Market), 0 calories, and you can add the "cream" of your choice.

Good luck to you.
  • peaceenharmonyy
    Options
    Thanks guys !

I may have to bring my Keurig to work with me.
  • hdog21166
    hdog21166 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like my coffee light & sweet with lots of creamer & sugar and yes all those wonderful Starbucks candy bars in a cup. However, I have learned to adjust to my own low calorie version which consists of - coffee, monk fruit for sweetener, almond or coconut milk,coconut oil & a dash of cinnamon. It's less than 50 calories depending on your measurements & tastes yummy! I make a huge mug once a day than switch to green tea & water the rest of the day!

Don't deprive yourself that's setting yourself up for failure - just find what works for you! :drinker:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    i started MFP this week and haven't had coffee till today. and i tried to have it with less sugar and its awful

what do you guys use ?

I have one or two cups of coffee a day fixed the way I like to drink it - with real sugar and real full fat half and half. It works out to about 85 - 90 calories a cup (@180 for both), fits into my daily allowance of calories.
  • sergiojrdz
    sergiojrdz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a keurig?

I have one, and LOVE it! My favorite k-cups are Starbucks French Roast. They are a bit on the pricey side but my wife does a great job of finding specials and coupons to bring down the cost. I drink it black and brew it straight into a cup full of ice. It sounds strange, but it really tastes great. I get all the great coffee taste and can drink it much faster. The caffeine is all I'm after so there is no need for sugar or creamer. A few people at work have started drinking their coffee the same way and have thanked me, adding they will probably never go back to drinking hot, sweet coffee again.
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Indulge in GOOD coffee, grind your beans fresh and you will be rid of the bitterness.

I get locally, freshly roasted beans from a shop I can walk to about 1-2x/week. Sets me back $12 each time but there is no comparison to store-bought crap (or burnt Starbucks).

I have never liked sugar in my coffee but I do like a *tiny* splash of soy milk - it rounds out the edges, keeps it from burning a hole in my stomach and can add a little sweetness if you get vanilla flavor. Try that.
  • dianniejt
    dianniejt Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I LOVE COFFEE and I like it sweetened. I use flavored creamers and skip the sugar. I am slowly cutting down on the amount of creamer I use but honestly for me I don't mind wasting 140 calories a day on my coffee. If I decide to go for more than my usual amount then I use sugar free creamer and stevia. I do have a keurig and I love green mountain breakfast blend or gevalia k-cups.
  • Ginabelle11
    Ginabelle11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey. I have a Keurig and I love it!. I have questions about coffee too. I love flavored coffee and trying to find ways to reduce calories and still enjoy it!
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is a nice touch but I usually just use good ole half and half.
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I drink black coffee. It was difficult at first, but became easier as time went on. I can't stand anything in my coffee, now...maybe a splash of Bailey's. ;)

Buying a good quality coffee makes a difference. However, if you are on a budget, sprinkle some cinnamon on the grounds (if you're using perked). It really improves the taste.

I second this! I eventually switched from using a coffeemaker with ground Tim Horton's coffee to using a french press and grinding my own beans in the morning. I actually can't add anything to the Kicking Horse coffee when I do it this way, it doesn't taste as good.

I have tried drinking Tim's coffee black, but I still can't stand the taste, so now, when I drink Tim's coffee, I still add cream and sugar to it and track the calories.

I can't stand Tim's. Yuck. If I want black coffee, I go to MacDonald's. It's pretty good.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I used to ndrink my coffee with 5 sugars. I can now drink it with just milk (a lot of milk) but Id didn't do it all at once. Taper off.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I like my coffee the way I like my women...... Full of liquor.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    i started MFP this week and haven't had coffee till today. and i tried to have it with less sugar and its awful

what do you guys use ?

I think sweet coffee tastes awful. But my husband uses stevia.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    When I joined MFP last May, I switched from flavored creamer to milk. I slowly decreased the amount of sugar (not really necessary, but it was a personal choice). I began drinking flavored creamer again when pumpkin spice creamer came out in the fall. Just allot some calories in your day to fit coffee in, and you should be fine. ^_^
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I used to drink coffee with cream and sugar - then went to fat free half and half with splenda - now I drink it black, and cannot stand having anything in it.

As you continue your path, your taste buds will change. For now, play around and see what works for you, log it in, and take it from there.
  • thatATLgirl
    thatATLgirl Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The 15 calories in the 1 tsp of sugar I put in my coffee is worth it to me. That's not what made me overweight.
  • lilraincloud99
    Options
    LOL I agree. I need my coffee. I did switch to half caffeine, and half decaf and I usually only have one cup in the morning. They have a lot of sugar free creamers now that don't taste sugar free... I also use splenda instead of sugar. Sometimes I even go full decaf.... can't really taste the difference :-)