Parasites controling your cravings. How true?

Options

Replies

• Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    tapeworm1.jpg
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Actually, despite all the fun gifs and jokes this is partially true.

There are a few parasites and diseases that can influence your thinking.

There is toxoplasmosis. Or the crazy cat lady parasite. Read here: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/12/121206203240.htm

Rage is a mind altering disease prior to killing you. But don't worry about that one, if you catch it you are going to shortly die.

Neurosyphilis can also affect the brain processes in early stages as a disinhibition process or result in periods of euphoria.
    Several books of research cover this.

Recent research also suggests that gut bacteria influence cognitive processes.
    http://scienceblogs.com/neurophilosophy/2011/03/25/gut-bacteria-may-influence-thoughts-and-behaviour/

Happy reading. What's your concern?

Chances are good OP just eats too much.

We're talking parasite influence of cognition - not the OPs weight. And while, in terms of weight-loss, we can mostly ignore infections there are a few interesting conditions in gut flora that influence serotonin. And serotonin has been shown to play a role in binge eating disorder. So while the first reaction is to "pshah!" at these claims I find it more interesting to consider potentials. It is likely that some rare conditions of uncontrolled eating are parasite influenced - this makes both biological and evolutionary sense.

For example, helminths (worms) are known to usually reduce appetite but there are cases of increased hunger reported too.

Have you seen this?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2677729/

I had, someone posted it a few months back (you?) as an interesting twin study but I don't remember the reason why. Mechanism there is absorption or digestion or metabolic function and not "mind control" although I can see interrelationships ....

Oh yeah, a definite thread hijack attempt. My bad.
  • latewinterwolf
    Options
    What you mean like the wasp that sting and ant and then controls it type of parasites lol
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    What?!

I've had 2 parasites in my body controlling cravings... but I gave birth to them after about 40 weeks...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sallyspite
    sallyspite Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Candida is fed by sugars so it may be our sugar cravings that precipitate that. It is sort of like a round robin effect.

as far as parasites - a parasite is any organism which feeds off the host with out giving anything back. So bacteria's and such can fall into that category. that said, - it is know that pork can carry parasites - it must be cooked well. this is also one of the reasons folks are warned about cooking foods properly.

I knew a nutritionist once who advocated eating figs as they countered the effects of the parasites in our GI track (the most common host site.

But cute comments. I do agree the video was probably a marketing ploy to get you to buy a product. This problem is way down on the list of worries in the health spectrum. Just eat healthy, watch sanitation of your food, WASH hand for 20 seconds before cooking, eating, etc. and store and cook your foods properly and safely.

In 30 years of nursing I have never seen a major issue w/ this.

Blessings.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one wondering if this is really a problem, given that it is on the "gaining weight" board?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    In to read links later :smile:
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Recent research also suggests that gut bacteria influence cognitive processes.
    http://scienceblogs.com/neurophilosophy/2011/03/25/gut-bacteria-may-influence-thoughts-and-behaviour/

My thought is that what the OP saw is a really overblown scare tactic related to something like this.

Gut bacteria is something that is actually being researched and some do think that the gut bacteria can influence the brain but is certainly not proven. There is a project to sequence gut bacteria similar to how the human genome was sequenced. See:

http://genome.wustl.edu/projects/detail/human-gut-microbiome/

http://genome.wustl.edu/publications/detail/an-obesity-associated-gut-microbiome-with-increased-capacity-for-energy-harvest/

Everyone has gut bacteria, so if we call bacteria "parasites" to scare people and sell them something that claims to fix it, it seems like an instant success to me!
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

What is your point? That article isn't salient to the discussion as far as I can tell.

That there are parasites, bacteria and viruses that cause weight gain.

you're correct, that 1st one was all I could grab from my phone. :)

But that article doesn't talk about weight gain. "High molecular weight precursor" is the weight of a molecule.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm sorry, but:

1de8e7e2_NicolasCageLaugh.gif

YES!
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    What you mean like the wasp that sting and ant and then controls it type of parasites lol

What? Like the hymeno epimcis argyaphaphaga?

Sorry if spelling is not correct...:)

Scientist Eberhard? Studying?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,
    I have seen some videos about parasites in your body that could be small or big, but controlling your cravings and mind completely. How true is that? Is there a way to kill them? or even finding out if you have them? I'll appreciate any input.

I would tighten your tinfoil hat to prevent them from controlling you

Yeah, totally this. Also, make sure you are using quality tin foil, not the generic. :smokin:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    In the words of the great George Takei: Oh my.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,
    I have seen some videos about parasites in your body that could be small or big, but controlling your cravings and mind completely. How true is that? Is there a way to kill them? or even finding out if you have them? I'll appreciate any input.

The only parasites that control my appetite are the advertising people who put restaurant commercials on the tube right before I go to bed. I know several ways to kill them but I'm fairly certain they violate some statute.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    What? Like the hymeno epimcis argyaphaphaga?

Sorry if spelling is not correct...:)

Yes, I can imagine that you're only used to discussing that species in conversation and thus would be uncertain of the spelling, only the pronunciation.

everyones_an_expert.AC4IPaVG0H.jpg
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    What?!

I've had 2 parasites in my body controlling cravings... but I gave birth to them after about 40 weeks...

Thanks for the laugh of the day!:drinker:
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I did have a parasite once in my intestines. The only thing that I craved was some serious meat. It was the only thing that satisfied me during that time. The parasite did not like carbs or anything surgary lol. But like the biggest cheeseburger I could find. It was not a fun experience.
  • robinmmurphy3
    robinmmurphy3 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This is a great reply. I totally agree with what you say, except that I have never heard of Hulda Clark. I have done an herbal parasite cleanse a couple of times and like you, always felt better afterward.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    While there are some worm-like and single-celled organisms that can infect humans, the vast majority are extraordinarily rarely encountered in developed countries. There is some evidence that certain parasites can affect or modify human behaviour, but certainly not in the way that you're suggesting.

Long story short: you don't need to worry about parasites. This question raises some alarm bells about delusions of parasitosis. That's a slippery slope you don't want to go down.

^^This, Unless you are living in or have recently traveled to a developing country I wouldn't worry.