Planet Fitness removing squat racks? Aroo?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    My mistake in starting this discussion was thinking that more people would want to confront that fear, to actually venture beyond their own notion of what they were capable of, and come away with a f-ckng win.

Last year, the moment I crossed that invisible line in the gym was terrifying. I was the dumpy, middle-aged mommy who had been getting in my own way for years. I was a throwaway, in my mind. Not even worth ridiculing. I was a monument to unrealized potential, paralyzed by fear of failure, and of success. Sound a little dramatic for someone making a choice to just walk over to the weights section? Judging by the lengths to which people will go to avoid it, I don't think so.

My life has been absolutely transformed by that moment, that one decision. I was manic for the next several days. Then over the next year I began to test my capabilities in other arenas of my life, and soon found a love of moving that self-set limitation farther and farther away, until I just don't think about limits anymore. This has completely revived my career, made me a better partner to my husband, a better mother, daughter, friend. Now, I only think of what I want to do next, come up with a plan to get there, and execute. No wolves at my heels, no meanies in my head. If there are real people making fun of what I do, *shrug* I can't see 'em from up here.

And it all started with a squat rack and a little girl who didn't want to be comfortable in her safe-bet life anymore.

When you have that moment, the first thing you want to do is make sure every other person on the planet gets to have theirs. Even, and I'd venture especially, someone taking those first steps in Planet Fitness. The idea that anyone could miss out on their moment because they're never in a position to be scared, but do it anyway, makes me sad. Seeing those same people cling willfully to and argue for their right to be deprived of the chance to be brave and awesome pisses me off. So,
    2wqhi60.gif
    and this is the point that everyone who has been defending PF has totally been missing….way to go OP
  • tnicmorris
    tnicmorris Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My mistake in starting this discussion was thinking that more people would want to confront that fear, to actually venture beyond their own notion of what they were capable of, and come away with a f-ckng win.

Last year, the moment I crossed that invisible line in the gym was terrifying. I was the dumpy, middle-aged mommy who had been getting in my own way for years. I was a throwaway, in my mind. Not even worth ridiculing. I was a monument to unrealized potential, paralyzed by fear of failure, and of success. Sound a little dramatic for someone making a choice to just walk over to the weights section? Judging by the lengths to which people will go to avoid it, I don't think so.

My life has been absolutely transformed by that moment, that one decision. I was manic for the next several days. Then over the next year I began to test my capabilities in other arenas of my life, and soon found a love of moving that self-set limitation farther and farther away, until I just don't think about limits anymore. This has completely revived my career, made me a better partner to my husband, a better mother, daughter, friend. Now, I only think of what I want to do next, come up with a plan to get there, and execute. No wolves at my heels, no meanies in my head. If there are real people making fun of what I do, *shrug* I can't see 'em from up here.

And it all started with a squat rack and a little girl who didn't want to be comfortable in her safe-bet life anymore.

When you have that moment, the first thing you want to do is make sure every other person on the planet gets to have theirs. Even, and I'd venture especially, someone taking those first steps in Planet Fitness. The idea that anyone could miss out on their moment because they're never in a position to be scared, but do it anyway, makes me sad. Seeing those same people cling willfully to and argue for their right to be deprived of the chance to be brave and awesome pisses me off. So,
    2wqhi60.gif

My point all along is that you're assuming that people who started at PF or who continue to go to PF didn't have that moment. And that's not fair, nor is it accurate. I can't speak for anybody else, but I can speak for myself. I started at PF. And I had my moment. It wasn't on a squat rack. But I had it. And it has kept me motivated and continues to motivate me make me push myself. But you having yours on a superior piece of equipment doesn't make mine any less significant or encouraging for me than yours did for you. You should totally feel proud and happy and motivated on how you have changed your life. You deserve to feel it because you earned it. I'm damn sure going to feel proud of mine, despite the lack of a squat rack because I earned mine too.

And personally, I resent the "sadness you feel" on my behalf for clinging to a fear. I had the fear. I started my journey, I moved past that fear, and I am proud of the accomplishments that I have already made. I also no longer have any doubts that I will accomplish even more things as I continue on my way to health and fitness.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

2wqhi60.gif

My point all along is that you're assuming that people who started at PF or who continue to go to PF didn't have that moment. And that's not fair, nor is it accurate. I can't speak for anybody else, but I can speak for myself. I started at PF. And I had my moment. It wasn't on a squat rack. But I had it. And it has kept me motivated and continues to motivate me make me push myself. But you having yours on a superior piece of equipment doesn't make mine any less significant or encouraging for me than yours did for you. You should totally feel proud and happy and motivated on how you have changed your life. You deserve to feel it because you earned it. I'm damn sure going to feel proud of mine, despite the lack of a squat rack because I earned mine too.

And personally, I resent the "sadness you feel" on my behalf for clinging to a fear. I had the fear. I started my journey, I moved past that fear, and I am proud of the accomplishments that I have already made. I also no longer have any doubts that I will accomplish even more things as I continue on my way to health and fitness.

Gah! I am not saying that a squat rack is the essential and ONLY portal to awesome without which no one will ever accomplish anything!

What I am saying is that is was being removed because it was thought to be intimidating to enough people to deem it necessary. Well, if those people deal with what intimidates them by just making sure it's never around, growth and change doesn't happen, does it? If you had your moment elsewhere I'm glad, then you know what I'm talking about.

I'm just talking about others...

...who potentially...

...could miss out.

Aaaaand, spirit's broken. Good luck to everyone.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Hi folks,

First of all, I would like to apologize for the name calling I engaged in earlier. There was no call for that.

PF has clearly identified a need and set a price point that works. The gyms I go to are generally busy, so while the marketing may be offensive to some, their customers seem to appreciate what is being offered. I certainly appreciate the lack of yelling, dropping weights, etc. If that makes me judgemental, then so be it.

Good luck,
    Keith

That's not judgmental, that's preference, it's the marketing scheme that calls anyone who; wears gym attire, drinks out of a gallon jug (got one on my desk), or just flat out pushes themselves to the limit is a slow/dumb person.....but yet say they are "judgment free".

They are also preying on individuals by pushing the BS that all gyms are what you are claiming. I was a member at a Gold's for about 7 years, and never once saw or heard any screaming, weight dropping, anything... I would say it was geared as much to the beginner as it was the advanced....but PF tries to make the member think they don't belong at other facilities, even when they outgrow what PF can offer by selling that to them and making sure they believe it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm certain that Planet Fitness does NOT exist to prevent anyone from becoming fit or to cull fear in anyone. They exist to make a profit, like every other business out there.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Hi folks,

First of all, I would like to apologize for the name calling I engaged in earlier. There was no call for that.

PF has clearly identified a need and set a price point that works. The gyms I go to are generally busy, so while the marketing may be offensive to some, their customers seem to appreciate what is being offered. I certainly appreciate the lack of yelling, dropping weights, etc. If that makes me judgemental, then so be it.

Good luck,
    Keith

That's not judgmental, that's preference, it's the marketing scheme that calls anyone who; wears gym attire, drinks out of a gallon jug (got one on my desk), or just flat out pushes themselves to the limit is a slow/dumb person.....but yet say they are "judgment free".

They are also preying on individuals by pushing the BS that all gyms are what you are claiming. I was a member at a Gold's for about 7 years, and never once saw or heard any screaming, weight dropping, anything... I would say it was geared as much to the beginner as it was the advanced....but PF tries to make the member think they don't belong at other facilities, even when they outgrow what PF can offer by selling that to them and making sure they believe it.

I agree that it is my preference. I disagree that anyone is being "preyed" on. But, we have had this discussion before and will just talk past each other. Better to agree to disagree.
  • RGv2
    Options
    Hi folks,

Good luck,
    Keith

I agree that it is my preference. I disagree that anyone is being "preyed" on. But, we have had this discussion before and will just talk past each other. Better to agree to disagree.

So telling people they don't belong at other gyms to make sure they stay at PF isn't "preying" on fears? I'll go with that, I guess I'd call it more; taking advantage of.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    PF is plain and simply not a gym for free weights. They are laughable inadequate for lifting. If I were to go back to free weights (instead of endurance running), I would have to go elsewhere. They are saying that in black and white with no room for error. It's okay. The market will determine if it will be successful or not. If you don't agree with what they are doing, don't go there. No problem.
  • RGv2
    Options
    PF is plain and simply not a gym for free weights. They are laughable inadequate for lifting. If I were to go back to free weights (instead of endurance running), I would have to go elsewhere. They are saying that in black and white with no room for error. It's okay. The market will determine if it will be successful or not. If you don't agree with what they are doing, don't go there. No problem.

And, for the most part, that isn't the issue.

It's their highly hypocritical marketing scheme, and telling people they don't belong at other gyms, when obviously they belong there as much as the next person.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

2wqhi60.gif

Gah! I am not saying that a squat rack is the essential and ONLY portal to awesome without which no one will ever accomplish anything!

What I am saying is that is was being removed because it was thought to be intimidating to enough people to deem it necessary. Well, if those people deal with what intimidates them by just making sure it's never around, growth and change doesn't happen, does it? If you had your moment elsewhere I'm glad, then you know what I'm talking about.

I'm just talking about others...

...who potentially...

...could miss out.

Aaaaand, spirit's broken. Good luck to everyone.

Some of us know what you are saying....someday perhaps the rest will too.

And yes, I agree with the above postre - I do believe you won MFP with that post. :drinker:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Leading up to the new year were a whole bunch of threads from users complaining about all the newbies who would be joining THEIR gym (because clearly only their money counts). Threads about how the newbies would be taking up all the equipment, using it wrong, and how the newbies should just hurry up with failing so the gym can be less crowded again. It was almost as though people thought these newbies didn't belong at THEIR gym (seriously, the newbies money was probably worth less than their money right?). It was almost as though people wished the newbies would all go someplace else. Like, hmm, I dunno, a gym aimed at newbies?

Agreed!
  • RGv2
    Options
    Leading up to the new year were a whole bunch of threads from users complaining about all the newbies who would be joining THEIR gym (because clearly only their money counts). Threads about how the newbies would be taking up all the equipment, using it wrong, and how the newbies should just hurry up with failing so the gym can be less crowded again. It was almost as though people thought these newbies didn't belong at THEIR gym (seriously, the newbies money was probably worth less than their money right?). It was almost as though people wished the newbies would all go someplace else. Like, hmm, I dunno, a gym aimed at newbies?

Agreed!

And again....that's not what those threads said, and again....I guess we'll just go with it.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I definitely see both sides here.

I do not agree with PF removing the squat rack. I think it does their members and future members a disservice by removing an essential piece of equipment from their gym.

I also feel that they are, in a sense, spreading misinformation about fitness and about fit people to the detriment of their members (if someone is in an environment where they are taught to mock fit people, they are unlikely to ever get to the point where they are fit for fear of being considered a 'lunk').

With that said, I do see that PF could be a good gym for newbies who are intimidated. Also, I can see that spreading their misinformation could potentially result in a few extra 'intimidated' members to join and a few more dollars in their pockets. And out of those extra people, sure, there might be a few that take their health into their own hands and who make a real lasting positive change in their life that they wouldn't have done if it wasn't for PFs tactics.

Still - I think there are more noble ways to achieve this goal and I think that if Planet Fitness was paid based on how much healthier and fit their members are getting rather than on the number of subscriptions they hand out, they would have a completely different approach.

With that said, they are a business and are free to operate as they please. If they think that removing the squat racks, forbiding deadlifts, and demonizing lunks will give them more subscriptions, then they are free to do so. But as someone who loves fitness and believes that squats and deadlifts are 2 of the most important weight-training exercises, I reserve the right to be peeved at their tactics.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

Agreed!

And again....that's not what those threads said, and again....I guess we'll just go with it.

You must be reading totally different things from what many of us are reading here on MFP.

I think the interpretation depends on what you think and believe. The anti PF people are never going to see anything but what they want to see when it comes to PF. The pro PF people are not going to see anything but what they want to see when it comes to PF.

Either way, there are folks here who belong to PF and find it to be perfectly adequate for what they want out of a gym. Some of us have belonged to other gyms in the past, I know I've belonged to different gyms for the past 20 years, PF being the most current and I've belonged there for almost 6 years.

There are folks who belong to other gyms and find those gyms perfectly adequate for what they want out of a gym.

No harm, no foul.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

2wqhi60.gif
    :heart:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You must be reading totally different things from what many of us are reading here on MFP.

I think the interpretation depends on what you think and believe. The anti PF people are never going to see anything but what they want to see when it comes to PF. The pro PF people are not going to see anything but what they want to see when it comes to PF.

This is a remarkably myopic and shallow belief in how (many) people engage in a rational discussion. While I agree that confirmation bias exists, that doesn't mean that both sides of an issue are incapable of seeing and understanding the opposing point of view.

I wonder if perhaps you are projecting more than you are analyzing others.
    Either way, there are folks here who belong to PF and find it to be perfectly adequate for what they want out of a gym. Some of us have belonged to other gyms in the past, I know I've belonged to different gyms for the past 20 years, PF being the most current and I've belonged there for almost 6 years.

And people are not primarily debating the adequacy of a gym. The discussion is much deeper than mere adequacy of a particular facility/chain.

Indeed, it would appear that we truly *are* reading different things here...

...or at least at a different level of understanding.
  • RGv2
    Options

Agreed!

There are folks who belong to other gyms and find those gyms perfectly adequate for what they want out of a gym.

No harm, no foul.

The other threads are talking specifically about the newyear's crowd, not "noobs" in general. It's a statistical fact that a majority of those will stop going to the gym shortly after the New Year. It isn't directed at "newbies" at all. I too have been going to gyms for nearly 20 years, and there where many January's where you saw the exact same people back and the same people drop out by the end of the month.....It's all a discussion about stats, that's all. Looks like you may be reading something completely different.

People here aren't necessarily saying PF isn't "adequate", they're just disgusted by the business model. This quote from the individual above pretty much explains it.
    I also feel that they are, in a sense, spreading misinformation about fitness and about fit people to the detriment of their members (if someone is in an environment where they are taught to mock fit people, they are unlikely to ever get to the point where they are fit for fear of being considered a 'lunk').
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

2wqhi60.gif

AWESOME
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I joine PF in June and it works well for me since I work 3 weeks on and weeks weeks off . The price is good since I'm only home half the year . The worst part is taht I just started lifting .... I do Squats and bench presses . and now what the heck ... I just learned it dang it .

Now if it's true I'm going to have to find a new gym and pay rediculous prices all because I am improving in my fitness routein ....