About to quit!

Options

Replies

• maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    1. Get a kitchen scale and don't trust your dry measures. You'd be amazed how many grams of ice cream a human being can stuff into a 1/2 cup measuring cup. Try double the gram weight. That's just an example. Most foods are this way. Go with gram weight. Strictly gram weight.

2. You are NOT burning 1000 calories in the gym for 2 hours. Maybe at most 750, and that is if you're not taking breaks. If you're strength training, more like 150-200. Nobody burns 500 calories an hour strength training. Not without some chemical assistance. And unless you're running at a near sprint speed for 2 hours, you're not burning as much as you think.

Maybe you should check out Scooby's workshop or one of the many other TDEE calculating websites and calculate your TDEE and go with that instead of the MFP method.

I do 60 minutes jogging, then I bike, then I use a stair master on my cardio days.. my HRM measures that at 900.

I just started doing two classes a day. I do any mixture of Kick Boxing, Zumba, Boot Camp, Body Works, or Spinning... those days I don't do cardio and burn about 900.

My days that I supposedly burned 1200, are days that I keep doing more cardio BEYOND above mentioned. Is it really that impossible? I don;t record rests. I pause my HRM as soon as I am done.

60 minutes of jogging is anywhere from 500 - 600 cals on average. Add in biking and then stairs for another hour... I can see it being reasonable to log 900. (People may disagree with me, but on my boxing days, with an hrm it's reading anywhere from 850 - 950).

I do think that you should seriously look at recycling your program. Drop to 30 - 45 mins cardio max, and add in weights. Your calorie burns will drop, but you will get stronger and it will preserve your lean muscle mass. Too much cardio, especially for long durations at a time will eat away at the lean muscle mass and will yield less than desirable results.

If you aren't comfy with heavy lifting... even adding in pushups, squats, planks (front and side)... those have a strength component. If you go to a gym, though, I'd look into getting a personal trainer (who advocates heavy lifting for women where heavy is not = 5lb dumbbells) for a few sessions to teach you how to lift.

Granted, I'm lighter than the OP at 130lbs but 60 mins of running (10km, 55 mins) for me burns the most 350 cals if I'm lucky. Elliptical for an hour burns 300 cals on ave for me. Spinning an hour again averages 300 cals. I use a HRM so even those burns may be high!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! You will get as thin as you want. My gosh you are working so hard. You must be eating to many calories. It is amazing how many calories are in foods that we would never think of. So track every LITTLE bit of food. Every thing you put in your mouth. Only eat the 1200 calories suggested. NO MORE!!!!!!! NO MATTER WHAT!!!! I promise you, you will loose again. Your body can put on 6 or more pounds of water weight overnight so do not be concerned at what the scale says, If you are eating 1200 calories, you are loosing and thats a fact. If you look at monthly weight loss you will see it.

I also regularly burn 700+ calories a day and 1200 calories is way too little food for that kind of activity. You have to fuel your body for your workouts or it causes negative side effects. Bad advice in my opinion and in my experience.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!! I'll have to check it out! Appreciate it.

My eyes glazed over by page 4 so I haven't read all the responses, but have you looked into the TDEE method instead of going by what MFP suggests? Lots of people have had success with TDEE numbers, over MFP's. There's several calculators out there, but I like http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
    Might help to approach this from a different angle :smile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Uhm no, that is VERY wrong. your body processes different foods in different ways. If your eating processed crap and what have you, your body isnt going to burn it efficiently when you work out. You can work out as much as you want, and if you think "oh ill just take the single patty instead of the big mac" your not going to lose anything because the minute you put a real meal in your mouth, youre body is going to store it because you havent been feeding it properly. Lets say you eat cheeseburgers all day and your calorie intake is 1200, but you burn 1600 in workouts. The next day when you go and eat your cheeseburgers again, your just going to gain the weight right back because your body is starving for HEALTHY food and better nutrition. It cant run on processed crap, and your certainly NOT going to see results. Itll just be a weight teeter-totter..
    What the what?

OP -- this has pobably been said, but have you had your thyroid checked? What kind of birth control are you on and have you switched recently? Are you weighing and measuring your food so you know it's accurate, rather than eyeballing it? Have you dropped calorie intake as you've dropped weight?

And I agree about switching up the exercise routine.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    This thread is so full of diet mythology it is ridiculous.

The energy that your body uses to move around is not from the food you put in your mouth that day. There is a process to converting food to energy, and it is not an immediate turnaround. Weight loss is not linear. If I burn 500 extra calories today and drop a half pound on the scale, that loss is not entirely fat. If I eat an extra 500 calories the next day, I did not just put back on the half pound that I lost, and if I do gain the next day it is probably not fat at all. The same is true with building muscle. It just doesn't happen overnight. There are chemical processes that the body has to go through to metabolize.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm more than thankful for what I have read. I have stated already I will be purchasing a food scale and I need to eat less and add more protein. Chill out. I'm not asking anything of anyone. Im not looking for attention. I have been more than polite. Try it.
  • daisyflame22
    daisyflame22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if someone suggested this or not... tons of responses... Have you adjusted your settings on your heart rate monitor to reflect your *new, lower* weight? It could be giving you a higher calorie burn if it still thinks that you weigh as much as when you started. Hope you figure it out and great job on the hard work so far!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I burn anywhere from 700-1200 calories 4-5 times a week.

How do you measure that? What type of exercise? It is extremely common for folks doing callisthenics/"cardio" type workouts to significantly over-estimate their burns. HRMs are NOT accurate for this!
    I eat probably 1500-1800 calories a day now instead of 1200.

I don't see a diary.
    Or am just not eating enough for what I burn?

If you weren't eating enough for your burn, you wouldn't be able to burn anymore.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'm not reading everyones comments, but when I first read your post, I wondered if you were working out TOO much? Do you give yourself at least one rest day? Also, I think the 1200 (or whatever MFP gives you) PLUS your exercise calories is the way to go. For instance, if you eat 1200 then exercise off 300 calories, you should eat 1500 calories that day. I don't understand how people burn 1000's of calories during workouts...unless you're a larger person and are on the elliptical for an hour+. Personally, I pretty much eat what I want within my calorie limits. I don't so much care about how my carbs, protein, and fat are percentaged out, as long as I try to meet the goals that MFP provides. I think if you exercise for at least 30 minutes 5 times a week, watch your calorie intake as mentioned above, drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, and switch up your workout routine every month or so, you should see progress. That's just my input and from personal observation. Rest days are really important, so I hope you're taking them! Toss in some weights 3 times a week, for at least 15 minutes if you want to LOOK better and fit in your clothes beter. Good luck and please don't give up!!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    yeah... a bit of pot calling kettle black.

IMO she hasn't been arguing, or even rude. She HAS been providing data. She gets asked questions, she answers them.
    People have made assumptions, she has clarified. When you go to the doc, do you want a diagnosis based on one symptom? Do you know every symptom to share, or do things sometimes get triggered upon further investigation.

She has indicated that she wants to learn, to understand, and will incorporate the feedback. All of those are stellar, and often sadly lacking in most ops.

You on the other hand, are being overly rude. Calling her an askhole? Telling her to stay fat? She isn't even close to FAT.
    SMH

ETA... and YOU aren't worth the strike either. Carry on. Go find another person to insult. You've exceeded expectations in this thread.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    WHat on earth is your problem?

I'm more than thankful for what I have read. I have stated already I will be purchasing a food scale and I need to eat less and add more protein. Chill out. I'm not asking anything of anyone. Im not looking for attention. I have been more than polite. Try it.
    [/quote]

You aren't even worth the strike. Good luck getting to goal with a blame everyone but yourself attitude.
    [/quote]

Oay im going to go eat bacon and be fat now.

I am a 26 year old woman who has gone from 280 lbs to an alternating 180-185. I am successful in my goals. I am simply changing up my regimens and having trouble. I'm not asking for a miracle.

You are the one with a bad attitude.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I highly highly doubt you're burning THAT much per day. MFP grossly overestimates cardio burn.

^^That may not be true. I aim for at least 1000 cals burned per workout on most days...and it's usually 1.5 to 2.5 hrs worth of work. According to my HRM (and my level of hunger afterwards lol), I am definitely burning that much! MFP usually overestimates by default, but you are able to adjust the calorie count to the correct one once you select the type of exercise.

I'm beginning to see a commonality with people who are over-estimating their calorie burns. I don't want to say the name because I don't want to take the fun out of other people figuring it out too, but I'll say the initials:

H.R.M.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't type of thing. Most will agree MFP's estimates of your caloric expenditure are not accurate, at least not for most people. Likewise, there is a ton of variation in the caloric burn as given by machines at the gym. About the best you can do is buy a quality HRM, feed it your metadata, and trust it to be as accurate as possible. I rarely eat 100% of my calories back from cardio since a slightly greater deficit won't hurt me, but a HRM is about the best you can do.

All that said, the HRM may not be to blame here, given that the OP doesn't actually have a food scale yet. Buying a food scale is probably the best thing you can do to increase your accuracy in logging what you eat.

The key to success is to get everything as accurate as you can, and then adjust according to observed results.

The part that everyone forgets is adjust according to observed results.

It's pretty easy to be accurate with food logging. Get a scale and some measuring cups, use them religiously, and log everything.

If your observed results don't at least somewhat closely match 1 pound lost per 3500 calorie deficit over two month period, then it's pretty obvious that you can point to your calorie burn. It's only when you are not consistent with logging that it becomes a mystery.

Last year when summer rolled around, I had a stall. Because I logged my food accurately, I could look back on my exercise diary and see what changed. I had started swimming. Because I had my kids with me in the pool, I couldn't consistently swim laps. I had tried to adjust down for this, but when I was honest with myself it was apparent I didn't adjust down enough. I fixed it and BOOM - the weight started falling off again.

It's not rocket science - but it is science.

I agree, but that doesn't mean HRM's are necessarily inaccurate as you seem to suggest above. In my experience, it's the opposite and a HRM is the best way to get an estimate your burn.

If you are doing steady state cardio, sure.

But many people use HRMs for things like weight training, or even just wear them all day. That's what causes the problem.

Again, agree entirely. Unfortunately, outside of steady state cardio, it's pretty hard to get an accurate picture of your caloric burn.

Generally I just ballpark weight training these days at ~400 calories/90 minutes, which I'm sure is inaccurate, but I usually eat those calories back anyways. I figure that even if I burned 0 calories lifting weights (not likely), I'd still be at a caloric deficit and if I'm at slightly less of a deficit on lifting days, that's probably a good thing. You can definitely can learn a lot about your body though by tracking your own data/progress over time.

Bolded part is key. By consistently and accurately logging, regardless of specific methodology for some estimates, you can eventually find a solution* that works. This is true even if it works for the wrong reasons. Let's say your 90 minutes is actually only 200 calories. (Doubtful, but let's assume for the sake of my illustration.) So you eat back those 200 calories which actually results in a bigger deficit than you expected. Over time, you would then lose more weight than you expected. To compensate for this, you would/should increase your calories in by some amount. Let's pretend like we're in a vacuum and there are no other variables...so you'd increase your calories in by the 200 deficit. Awesome. Now you'll get the results you expect *even though both the burn and resulting TDEE calculation are actually "wrong"...but it doesn't matter, because with consistent tracking and subsequent adjustments, *over time* these things smooth out.

Obviously, if your exercise habits are sporadic, it becomes more difficult to make up for the discrepancy consistently, but that's just inherent in the system. And since there are many potential measurement errors, the math seldom...okay, never works exactly right, but subsequent adjustments should get you a little closer to reality...(and if a particular adjustment is ultimately bogus, it shows up in a later evaluation).

All of this is why I beat the drum of consistent and accurate logging (with emphasis on consistent) followed by periodic evaluation of actual results vs. expected. It isn't hard, but it is (usually) necessary.

Edit: "Solution" is better than "method"...but still not exactly the word I wanted. Oh well, close enough.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Uhm no, that is VERY wrong. your body processes different foods in different ways. If your eating processed crap and what have you, your body isnt going to burn it efficiently when you work out. You can work out as much as you want, and if you think "oh ill just take the single patty instead of the big mac" your not going to lose anything because the minute you put a real meal in your mouth, youre body is going to store it because you havent been feeding it properly. Lets say you eat cheeseburgers all day and your calorie intake is 1200, but you burn 1600 in workouts. The next day when you go and eat your cheeseburgers again, your just going to gain the weight right back because your body is starving for HEALTHY food and better nutrition. It cant run on processed crap, and your certainly NOT going to see results. Itll just be a weight teeter-totter..

Says the person who joined no more than 10 days ago and has less than 5 posts on the forums thus far. I suggest you peruse the forums first before spouting nonsense.

Yeah, do what so many others on MFP do...

...peruse the forums for a while and *then* spout nonsense.

:drinker:
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

I am a 26 year old woman who has gone from 280 lbs to an alternating 180-185. I am successful in my goals. I am simply changing up my regimens and having trouble. I'm not asking for a miracle.

[/quote]

You don't get fat eating bacon, it's actually really delicious. I eat it often enough and whaddaya know, I'm losing weight. Must be the bacon.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options

You don't get fat eating bacon, it's actually really delicious. I eat it often enough and whaddaya know, I'm losing weight. Must be the bacon.

Congrats on your weight loss.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    There are a lot of thread on MFP where this post is absolutely applicable (although not particularly polite/in accordance w/ the CG (all hail))...

...however, I don't think this is one of them. OP seems willing to accept that there are things she needs to do...and there are plenty of respondents who have misread/misunderstood/mis-assumed what OP said, so a lot of the exchange was necessary to clarify.

Now if OP doesn't shell out the $10-$30 for a scale soon, then I'll grab a torch or pitchfork and join you.

*rabble* *rabble* *rabble* *rabble*
  • faely
    faely Posts: 144 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I have seen nothing but positive responses and information coming from you. I'm sorry that person decided to be a jerk. Perhaps they didn't get their morning *kitten* in. You have not argued with anyone here. People keep asking you (the same) questions because they don't bother to read the whole thread, and you keep giving the same responses, politely. Nicely done :flowerforyou:

P.S. MOAR BACON FOR EVERYONE :heart:
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    There are a lot of thread on MFP where this post is absolutely applicable (although not particularly polite/in accordance w/ the CG (all hail))...

...however, I don't think this is one of them. OP seems willing to accept that there are things she needs to do...and there are plenty of respondents who have misread/misunderstood/mis-assumed what OP said, so a lot of the exchange was necessary to clarify.

Now if OP doesn't shell out the $10-$30 for a scale soon, then I'll grab a torch or pitchfork and join you.

*rabble* *rabble* *rabble* *rabble*
    [/quote]

Lmao, I'll be right there with you! ;)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    1. Get a kitchen scale and don't trust your dry measures. You'd be amazed how many grams of ice cream a human being can stuff into a 1/2 cup measuring cup. Try double the gram weight. That's just an example. Most foods are this way. Go with gram weight. Strictly gram weight.

2. You are NOT burning 1000 calories in the gym for 2 hours. Maybe at most 750, and that is if you're not taking breaks. If you're strength training, more like 150-200. Nobody burns 500 calories an hour strength training. Not without some chemical assistance. And unless you're running at a near sprint speed for 2 hours, you're not burning as much as you think.

Maybe you should check out Scooby's workshop or one of the many other TDEE calculating websites and calculate your TDEE and go with that instead of the MFP method.

I do 60 minutes jogging, then I bike, then I use a stair master on my cardio days.. my HRM measures that at 900.

I just started doing two classes a day. I do any mixture of Kick Boxing, Zumba, Boot Camp, Body Works, or Spinning... those days I don't do cardio and burn about 900.

My days that I supposedly burned 1200, are days that I keep doing more cardio BEYOND above mentioned. Is it really that impossible? I don;t record rests. I pause my HRM as soon as I am done.

60 minutes of jogging is anywhere from 500 - 600 cals on average. Add in biking and then stairs for another hour... I can see it being reasonable to log 900. (People may disagree with me, but on my boxing days, with an hrm it's reading anywhere from 850 - 950).

I do think that you should seriously look at recycling your program. Drop to 30 - 45 mins cardio max, and add in weights. Your calorie burns will drop, but you will get stronger and it will preserve your lean muscle mass. Too much cardio, especially for long durations at a time will eat away at the lean muscle mass and will yield less than desirable results.

If you aren't comfy with heavy lifting... even adding in pushups, squats, planks (front and side)... those have a strength component. If you go to a gym, though, I'd look into getting a personal trainer (who advocates heavy lifting for women where heavy is not = 5lb dumbbells) for a few sessions to teach you how to lift.

Granted, I'm lighter than the OP at 130lbs but 60 mins of running (10km, 55 mins) for me burns the most 350 cals if I'm lucky. Elliptical for an hour burns 300 cals on ave for me. Spinning an hour again averages 300 cals. I use a HRM so even those burns may be high!

I'm also lighter than the OP, (130 lbs, 5'8" tall) but when I do my elliptical workout in the morning, I burn 300 calories in 30 minutes. I calculate it by taking my HR every five minutes and then average my HR for the 1/2 hour. Then I use the VO2 max to calculate the calorie burn. (My VO2 max is 40). I put the elliptical on a pretty high resistance level so that may be the difference for the calorie burn.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Says the person who joined no more than 10 days ago and has less than 5 posts on the forums thus far. I suggest you peruse the forums first before spouting nonsense.

Yeah, do what so many others on MFP do...

...peruse the forums for a while and *then* spout nonsense.

:drinker:

Bahahaha, yeah, that's true. I guess I find it incredible that someone with ten days of experience on MFP has the gall to offer up advice so quickly.