Evil Subway - Read this if you eat at there!

Options

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Funny when I tried to tell people what I learned about the food from working there for 3 years I was hissed at and shunned here.

Like I get its time saving to run in a get a sandwich made...and we all eat out on occasion. But I disagree with is the advertising...its not a healthier choice. Its the lies that tick me off.

Yeah I used to work there too, gross. Like the chicken is 'chicken product' not actual pieces of chicken and at our store everything was constantly expired, just with new labels.

You know that if you worked there, and knew about these things and didn't report it or do anything about it, that makes you complicit, right?

And to offer a contending view, someone who said they were a health inspector (and I've no more reason to disbelieve that than to disbelieve you worked at Subway, before you start) has said on MFP before that Subway has the freshest produce your ever likely to find simply because of their massive turnover.

So there you have it. Two diametrically opposite view points from two sources whose credibility is impossible to verify. That got us a long way.

If not legally complicit than morally so, and yes I reported them, and lost my job there as a result, it was dumb because they only required handwritten labels on prepared food, i.e. food that was ready to be served, so the labels were up to standard when they had the surprise inspection. And when I reported to Subway I lost my job, they came back that I had not been fired, (my hours had been cut to 0 but I had not been fired) I did not want to work there and it wasn't worth my time to fight about it.

Subways produce was moderately fresh, we went through lettuce and tomatoes regularly so those were always fine, it was the mayo, lunch meats, soups etc that were expired.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Ya you guys run with that...I'm not interested in splitting hairs and talking circles. But one thing that is shady subway often will list their nutrional information with lovely little tiny print disclaimers on the bottom ...where you find out that cheese and sauce are not included (which in the picture they will show it with cheese and sauce and still right beside list the cals that don't includ items in picture) I got a coffee from mcdonalds the other day and yes there was a picture of egg mcmuffin...for a certain amount of cals...guess what it included the cheese...I realize they aren't the only fast food place that does this...but trust me out of alot of fast food places they are guity of it ALOT...reason is they want to be like there old moto "choose well" well ya there make sure you read the small print so you will "choose well"

When subway puts that disclaimer yes it is being deceiving. Its making them look better...they are banking on the fact that a person will see this delish sub with cheese and not notice that they are actually not getting that sandwich with cheese for that amount of cals.

You know that cheese is optional on their sandwiches, right? And not standard as presented? And that it doesn't show up even in the pictures unless it's a integral part of the sandwich - in which case it's included in the nutrition information. They are required to give you the nutrition information for the sandwiches they advertise - not for every possible permutation you can think of.

It's not Subway's fault if you are unable to grasp this relatively simple premise.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    That's not lying. The nutritional info is crystal clear.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Ya you guys run with that...I'm not interested in splitting hairs and talking circles. But one thing that is shady subway often will list their nutrional information with lovely little tiny print disclaimers on the bottom ...where you find out that cheese and sauce are not included (which in the picture they will show it with cheese and sauce and still right beside list the cals that don't includ items in picture) I got a coffee from mcdonalds the other day and yes there was a picture of egg mcmuffin...for a certain amount of cals...guess what it included the cheese which was shown in picture no disclaimer ...I realize they aren't the only fast food place that does this...but trust me out of alot of fast food places they are guity of it ALOT...reason is they want to be like there old moto "choose well" well ya there make sure you read the small print so you will "choose well"

When subway puts that disclaimer yes it is being deceiving. Its making them look better...they are banking on the fact that a person will see this delish sub with cheese and not notice that they are actually not getting that sandwich with cheese for that amount of cals.

if you don't want to split hairs then maybe you should not make blanket statements accusing accompany of "lying" which then causes people to question said statement..just saying...
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Ya you guys run with that...I'm not interested in splitting hairs and talking circles. But one thing that is shady subway often will list their nutrional information with lovely little tiny print disclaimers on the bottom ...where you find out that cheese and sauce are not included (which in the picture they will show it with cheese and sauce and still right beside list the cals that don't includ items in picture) I got a coffee from mcdonalds the other day and yes there was a picture of egg mcmuffin...for a certain amount of cals...guess what it included the cheese which was shown in picture no disclaimer ...I realize they aren't the only fast food place that does this...but trust me out of alot of fast food places they are guity of it ALOT...reason is they want to be like there old moto "choose well" well ya there make sure you read the small print so you will "choose well"

OK, well someone has not yet taught you to read the fine print. If it's in there, they aren't lying.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

Oh boo hoo. We as the consumers should have the ability to read and break down caloric content and find items that meet our needs. Who wants to look at a naked sandwich? Should they write in crayon on a color wheel to explain the breakdown to those who assume that everything is exactly as they had pictured. Did you know toys don't always come with batteries? But they show they work in the commercial!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Funny when I tried to tell people what I learned about the food from working there for 3 years I was hissed at and shunned here.

Like I get its time saving to run in a get a sandwich made...and we all eat out on occasion. But I disagree with is the advertising...its not a healthier choice. Its the lies that tick me off.

What lies though? Serious question.

?? That its healthier than anywhere else...its not. Thats it.

I've never seen that claim.

me either...

Presumably the issue is that whether Subway claim it or not, people believe it, and Subway have failed to put out a marketing campaign setting them straight? (at least by the standards of that poster)

I have never seen a company put out a marketing campaign that would counter a thought process that would cost them money….LOL
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    lol it's not surprising that subway really isn't that great. it is a fast food chain after all. although if not even every day for every meal it probably won't kill you.
  • CelebrityStatus
    CelebrityStatus Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I work at Subway and eat there as well.

I will say that we NEVER have expired product. It expires- it goes in the trash, ASAP. Labels are very important and you can be written up if you do not label things- that is the only way to know if it is expired or not...or even when it was made. If something even looks gross (a slightly mushy tomato, a green pepper with a brown spot) it goes in the trash, regardless of when the expiry date is.

Produce is brought in fresh 2x per week and does expire as well, can't really vouch for the amount of chemicals used before it is dropped off, but most of the vegetables are the same grade you could find at a grocery store.

Yep, bread is frozen... then thawed, proofed, and baked. If you note that any time you are at subway, it says 9 grain, not whole wheat. On our ptt sheets, it literally says "white" and "brown" for bread types. If anyone really thinks that we mix the ingredients, roll out the dough, and cook it in one of those stores ... you cray. Has anyone ever SEEN the prep area of a subway?!

There are lower CALORIE options at subway... are they necessarily "healthy"? No, but it is FAST FOOD. You are not going to get low carb, low sodium, low sugar, low whatever from fast food. Make it yourself if you want those things ALL the time.

I enjoy a 6" turkey sandwich a couple of times a week, no cheese, loaded up with lettuce, cucumber, a couple of pickles, and some honey mustard. I actually remove the "stuffing" inside the bread so that it is just the bun shell.

All fast food is "evil" if you really want it to be ;)
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

What lies though? Serious question.

?? That its healthier than anywhere else...its not. Thats it.

I've never seen that claim.

me either...

Presumably the issue is that whether Subway claim it or not, people believe it, and Subway have failed to put out a marketing campaign setting them straight? (at least by the standards of that poster)

I have never seen a company put out a marketing campaign that would counter a thought process that would cost them money….LOL

Inorite? Lying *kitten*.
  • GeminiBridget
    GeminiBridget Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When I smell a subway it make me nauseous. Subway=Fast food and if you're trying to live a healthier lifestyle, you should avoid it.

Riiiight. Or I could just make sure it fits into my day and load up my sammich with veggies. Or will that kill me?

Hey, DO YOU! :)
  • GeminiBridget
    Options
    When I smell a subway it make me nauseous. Subway=Fast food and if you're trying to live a healthier lifestyle, you should avoid it.

Sigh....

You don't have to agree. DO YOU! :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

Sigh....

You don't have to agree. DO YOU! :)

it is just an idiotic blanket statement...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Ya you guys run with that...I'm not interested in splitting hairs and talking circles. But one thing that is shady subway often will list their nutrional information with lovely little tiny print disclaimers on the bottom ...where you find out that cheese and sauce are not included (which in the picture they will show it with cheese and sauce and still right beside list the cals that don't includ items in picture) I got a coffee from mcdonalds the other day and yes there was a picture of egg mcmuffin...for a certain amount of cals...guess what it included the cheese...I realize they aren't the only fast food place that does this...but trust me out of alot of fast food places they are guity of it ALOT...reason is they want to be like there old moto "choose well" well ya there make sure you read the small print so you will "choose well"

You know that cheese is optional on their sandwiches, right? And not standard as presented? And that it doesn't show up even in the pictures unless it's a integral part of the sandwich - in which case it's included in the nutrition information. They are required to give you the nutrition information for the sandwiches they advertise - not for every possible permutation you can think of.

It's not Subway's fault if you are unable to grasp this relatively simple premise.

Your missing my point...and no they don't flash it around that its not part of the sandwich. I'm just saying that for just your regular person that isn't sitting there investigating all that information and trying to choosing what they think is a healthier choice and going merely by marketing...subway is hoping you will think they are healthier.

I think people have enough common sense to realize that the footlong meatball with cheese is going to have more calories than the footlong turkey breast with no cheese...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Your missing my point...and no they don't flash it around that its not part of the sandwich. I'm just saying that for just your regular person that isn't sitting there investigating all that information and trying to choosing what they think is a healthier choice and going merely by marketing...subway is hoping you will think they are healthier.

I just looked around their site, and the only sandwiches they show cheese on are the ones that come with it and have it included in the nutritional info.

For instance, hit the site and then go to their list of "fresh fit choices." They're all shown without cheese or dressing. If you click "all sandwiches" you'll see the only ones pictured with cheese are ones that have "cheese" or "melt" in the name.

I think you're manufacturing a controversy where none exists.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    Options
    Oh goodie, a sugar train and now a Subway train! Just waiting for a McDonald's train to start, and we are good to go for the day. Toot toot!

There's already a McDonalds train out there, left the station a few days ago.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

What the heck would you have them do?

So we've established that they never say they are healthier. We've established that they present the nutrition information for their sandwiches precisely as they are prepared as standard. And if you ask for the sub as standard, it will be prepared without cheese or mayo.

Now apparently you want them put up signs saying By the way we aren't any healthier than McDonald's or something?

Seriously what is it that you would like Subway to change?
  • GeminiBridget
    Options

Why? Because Subway = Fast food and Fast food = Bad?

So if I go to Subway and get a salad with chicken breast a bunch of vegetables and vinegar dressing that's bad because.... oh that's right. Subway = Fast food. Fast food = Bad.

Thankfully I use my brain to make my own choices and don't let others dictate them to me.

I didn't 'dictate' it was merely a suggestion/advice. You can agree or disagree. DO YOU! :)
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

OK, well someone has not yet taught you to read the fine print. If it's in there, they aren't lying.

And there is it OK, well someone has not yet taught YOU to read the fine print. If it's in there, they aren't lying.

Clearly I do read the fine print. But I have empathy for those that don't...so sue me.

And there it is, the assumption that everyone else is an idiot and needs protecting.