Evil Subway - Read this if you eat at there!

Options

Replies

• anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I read it. Now I'm hungry. Thanks.

Ditto - a club on honey oat sounds really good right about now
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    if we buy organic like meat, vegges,fruits etc, wouldn't they be without nitrates, I mean one from the fertilizers?

Nitrates are naturally-occurring in rather large quantities in many fruits and vegetables.

All that "no added nitrates" bacon actually just use celery powder instead. The main component of celery powder is nitrates.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    you people do realize you can just get a salad and pile on a bunch of vegetables with no added ingredients that you didn't even have to cut yourself?

It's a great place for vegetarians/vegans to get a quick meal that fits your dietary goals.

Sure all their meat products have added stuff for food safety/palatablity purposes, but they can fit your goals as well.

Stuff that, I want some bread with my salad and meat :bigsmile:

And now I want Subway. :grumble:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Wow - So much hatred spewed out over all this! You people just LOVE telling someone they are an IDIOT don't you? What a lovely COMMUNITY we've become! 2 Years ago, I didn't see very much of this negativity here. MFP has grown up to be Facebook!

Now, on to my rebuttal to everyone who thinks I'm just a moron for posting an article like this!

I guess Im just disappointed that they use so many preservatives and artificial stuff (in bread they bake right in the store) and feel the need to add so many chemicals.

I fully knew that the meats and cheeses were processed and full of crap! But to put artificial colors in pickles or other chemicals in olives? Why? It's not needed?

I am not hating on what you posted and woudn't call someone an idiot. However, I don't eat there enough to really worry or fret over chemical in olives and the fact that the bread is frozen and then baked on sight. When I do go to Subway, I enjoy every bite and don't stress over what may or may not be in it. I think the fact that people stress over food that is probably more unhealthy then the food itself.

True.

OP, We're trying (with sarcasm and humor, admittedly) to help you out, not hate you.

If you look hard enough, you're going to find evil around every corner.

Even if you grow your own food, according to some website somewhere, you'll be watering it with fluid that contains run-off with residue of birth control pills, anti-anxiety medicine and any number of toxins.

There's just an over-load of junk science out there and zealots wanting to scare people. It gets overwhelming, really.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    you people do realize you can just get a salad and pile on a bunch of vegetables with no added ingredients that you didn't even have to cut yourself?

It's a great place for vegetarians/vegans to get a quick meal that fits your dietary goals.

Sure all their meat products have added stuff for food safety/palatablity purposes, but they can fit your goals as well.

I'm not a vegetarian but I always get a 12" veggie sub when I go (literally just finished eating one). A good way to get in some veggies, and calorie wise is low enough for me to enjoy a beef n cheddar and curly fries from Arbys tonight :bigsmile:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I think this thread is making a lot of us hungry for evil.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options

I think this thread is making a lot of us hungry for evil.

evil.jpg
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    So....I like food. I'm going to eat what food tastes good. Whether that's chemical laden vegetables at Subway, or sugary processed Oreos or some kind of meat substance at McDonalds.

I'm not a farmer. I will never be a farmer. Eating "clean" is still impossible. If you trust the foods at the grocery store are what they say they are you are sadly mistaken.

And you eat it anyways.

And you're still alive.

Just eat what you want. Nothing doesn't have chemicals, preservatives, etc. If you want to know what you eat, buy a cow, a chicken, grass feed it, plant some veggies, and call it a day.

EXACTLY!!!!! :laugh:
  • mhickey31
    Options
    I eat Subway 3-4 times a week. Helped me lose a ton of weight. So :yawn: to scare tactics.

You know what's worse than food with perservatives? Food without preservatives that's gone bad. You can't always tell, and that s*** can kill you dead.

Thank science for chemicals.

I second that! I'd rather have nitrites than E. coli, listeria or botulism!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    For the people whose tummies growl when they hear about a particular fast food restaurant using questionable ingredients or practices: what is a deal breaker for you? Is there a particular substance that would make you avoid the food or is anything short of food poisoning fair game?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    For the people whose tummies growl when they hear about a particular fast food restaurant using questionable ingredients or practices: what is a deal breaker for you? Is there a particular substance that would make you avoid the food or is anything short of food poisoning fair game?

I avoid eating things that aren't food. Other than that, the tastier the better.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    RPLC_subway_melt.jpg

Thanks-Satan-In-Wreck-It-Ralph-Gif.gif
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

If it tastes like mushrooms, bananas or seafood. ick.
    I hate tomatoes, but I can usually just pick those off.

also, soggy bread.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Pickles.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Pickles.

Pickles are in the same category as arsenic, diesel fuel, and baseballs. Pickles don't count as food.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Pickles.

Pickles are in the same category as arsenic, diesel fuel, and baseballs. Pickles don't count as food.

Pickles are food. Onions are not food.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Pickles.

Haha. Silly girl. That was a good joke.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Pickles.

Cauliflower is not food.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Meh, I don't find any of those words scary.