Evil Subway - Read this if you eat at there!

Options

Replies

• coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m7ebtepGb21r2isst.jpg

Haha love this pic!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    subway doesn't make their sandwiches and products...YOU DO...
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    OMG! What will I eat now?!?! Everything I love is on the evil Satan food list!

48569325_omg_reaction_gif.gif
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options

http://www.hangthebankers.com/the-subway-deception/

From the article:

Did you mean to say they don't make their bread or bake it? Because I have been there when they have pulled bread out of the oven and seen them put more in to bake.

I was wondering the same thing..... or they've fooled me, what with their ovens, and fresh baked bread smell.... who knew they weren't actually baking it
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm going tonight to get a 5 dollar foot long. I've already figured it into my calories and I cannot wait!! I will enjoy every single bite of sodium, nitrates, and whatever blah blah blah is in there.

Sometimes we have to grab fast food, and I'd rather it be a sub than a big mac and fries.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Meh! Won't stop me from eating there....... I've lost a few pounds eating my buffalo chicken on flatbread loaded with veggies and don't plan to stop anytime soon.......
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Yes, Subway is deceiving us. It took a ton of research to identify all the ingredients in their bread.

Or you could google "Subway Ingredients" and click the first link, which is a PDF on Subway's own website that lists them clear as day:

http://www.subway.com/Nutrition/Files/usProdIngredients.pdf

Watch out Jonny … you're going to have to add Subway to your ticker soon. :laugh:

There's only so much room! I should email their advertising departments and solicit bids.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in…to see where this goes…awaiting the paleolites...
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Oh goodie, a sugar train and now a Subway train! Just waiting for a McDonald's train to start, and we are good to go for the day. Toot toot!
    The McDonald's train is still going from the other day! :laugh:
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Much nicer sandwich shops around than subway. I did go there once but when making my veggie friendly sandwich they took the tongs from a plate of meat and stuck them in the salad I'd asked for so I told them to stick it.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the "deception" the article talks about actually is.

The deception is that they call is "whole-wheat bread" when they should call it "Enriched wheat flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, yeast, whole wheat flour, sugar, contains 2% or less of the
    following: wheat gluten, oat fiber, soybean oil, wheat bran, salt, wheat, rye, yellow corn, oats, triticale, brown rice, barley, flaxseed, millet, sorghum, yeast nutrients (calcium carbonate, calcium sulfate, ammonium sulfate), vitamin D2, dough conditioners (DATEM, sodium stearoyl lactylate, potassium iodate, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide), caramel color, refinery syrup, honey, yeast extract, natural flavor, enzymes. - bread"

Obviously it's going to take some larger signage, but at least it's honest, right?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Oh goodie, a sugar train and now a Subway train! Just waiting for a McDonald's train to start, and we are good to go for the day. Toot toot!
    The McDonald's train is still going from the other day! :laugh:

And no one told me?? Where!?
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    HIPPIE+PUNCHING.jpg
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Also: " fact that the stores do not bake their breads."

This is false. Someone pointed this out in the thread, but they do bake the bread. The dough comes frozen, but they bake it in store.

They also roll out dough and bake it right in front of the customers. The ingredients are on their website.

The deception is that they call is "whole-wheat bread" when they should call it "Enriched wheat flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, yeast, whole wheat flour, sugar, contains 2% or less of the
    following: wheat gluten, oat fiber, soybean oil, wheat bran, salt, wheat, rye, yellow corn, oats, triticale, brown rice, barley, flaxseed, millet, sorghum, yeast nutrients (calcium carbonate, calcium sulfate, ammonium sulfate), vitamin D2, dough conditioners (DATEM, sodium stearoyl lactylate, potassium iodate, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide), caramel color, refinery syrup, honey, yeast extract, natural flavor, enzymes. - bread"

Obviously it's going to take some larger signage, but at least it's honest, right?

It's actually not called "whole wheat bread." I think that "whole wheat bread" is required to have whole wheat as the first ingredient.

It's "9-Grain Wheat."
  • ndj1979
    Options
    why is the author surprised that the foods at subway contain preservatives in them? Did he think that they were butchering cows in the back of the store or had a whole bakery back there? #idiot!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Also: " fact that the stores do not bake their breads."

This is false. Someone pointed this out in the thread, but they do bake the bread. The dough comes frozen, but they bake it in store.

They also roll out dough and bake it right in front of the customers. The ingredients are on their website.

It's actually not called "whole wheat bread." I think that "whole wheat bread" is required to have whole wheat as the first ingredient.

It's "9-Grain Wheat."

I noticed that when I looked up the ingredients. Couldn't be bothered to change even what I intended to type. Not sorry.
  • BeckyGee84
    BeckyGee84 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't know why anyone would be surprised by this. A place that offers a foot of sandwich for only $5 isn't going to give you top-notch ingredients.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I can only assume this person did their research. This is really scary for anyone who eats at Subway often. I used to eat there 1-2 times a week. Since I work from home now and don't eat out much, I don't eat there very often. Maybe once every 2 months. This is very sad news since I really like eating there.

From the article:

"Somebody should inform Subway that to make real whole-wheat bread all you really need is whole-wheat flour, yeast, salt, water, and maybe some honey. But that doesn’t really do anything for shelf life or the fact that the stores do not bake their breads.

While all the sandwiches contain chemical additives, refined bleached flour, preservatives, artificial colors, MSG, refined sugars, GMOs, and over 50 ingredients, only three contain nitrates. Yea! Far out! Only three!"

I can only assume this person did not do their research, since they claim subway doesn't bake their own bread. I don't think that "mixing the dough" is listed under the definition of baking. They do put it in the oven and it comes out baked. I bake chicken but I don't make anything first, I just stick it in the oven. Many breads you buy in the store have preservatives in them, as do the lunch meats and cheese there too. If you want a healthy, preservative-free sandwich, grow your own wheat, thresh it, mill it, grind it. Then make your own bread. Grow your own veggies and cut them up. Kill a chicken or a cow or a pig and process the meat. When you've done all that, make your sandwich and eat it knowing you've done all you could to avoid the world of processed food.

It's not going to hurt to eat a Subway sandwich once a while.
  • ndj1979
    Options

From the article:

Did you mean to say they don't make their bread or bake it? Because I have been there when they have pulled bread out of the oven and seen them put more in to bake.

I was wondering the same thing..... or they've fooled me, what with their ovens, and fresh baked bread smell.... who knew they weren't actually baking it

yea, I mean I thought they have a garden out back where they grow all the veggies….you mean they don't ????? *kitten*!
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I love it when people flip out about "chemicals" being in their foods. Guess what....... Water = chemical. Chemicals are literally the worst. Science.