Evil Subway - Read this if you eat at there!

Options

Replies

• Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I like me some Subway.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    If you think Subway is any 'healthier' than any other fast food joint, you're doing it wrong. Knowing that, you can either choose to eat there in moderation or not at all.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Five
    Five dollar
    Five dollar footlong
    Five
    Five dollar
    Five dollar footlong
    It's ca-ca-ca-catching on
    At Subway
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    So....I like food. I'm going to eat what food tastes good. Whether that's chemical laden vegetables at Subway, or sugary processed Oreos or some kind of meat substance at McDonalds.

I'm not a farmer. I will never be a farmer. Eating "clean" is still impossible. If you trust the foods at the grocery store are what they say they are you are sadly mistaken.

And you eat it anyways.

And you're still alive.

Just eat what you want. Nothing doesn't have chemicals, preservatives, etc. If you want to know what you eat, buy a cow, a chicken, grass feed it, plant some veggies, and call it a day.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Why don't we just quit eating, cause everything we eat is going to kill us sooner or later. :laugh:

Got to love the scare tactics!!!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Does this mean I am certain to die?
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    While I appreciate the shock value of the "Great Subway Deception", if you're really interested, Subway makes full ingredients information available here: http://www.subway.com/Nutrition/Files/usProdIngredients.pdf

Impressive bro-science in the original article tho. :drinker:
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    In for "subway is satan" :huh:

And if you think Subway's bread is bad, you obviously haven't looked at the ingredients in the bread you buy at the store. What do you think they put in it to make it last?
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don;t eat there anymore. My newest vice is http://www.firehousesubs.com/
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    They do bake their own bread, they just dont make their own dough.

Why is this surprising?
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I worked at subway for 5 years the bread comes frozen in a box. The first thing you do is spray the pan down with a pam like substance. Then you put the bread on the pan and spray it down with water, you put it in the rack and wait for it to thaw once it has thawed you add the honey oat or whatever else to make it the type of bread it is then you place it in the warmer so that it can rise to the correct height. The next thing you do is place it in the oven and let it bake for like 12 to 15 min. That is the subway bread making process.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I don't eat there enough to fret over that. But, when I do I will enjoy every bite.

^This, me too. While I do like going there as an alternative to the burger places, I am aware of the sodium content in their food so I only go there once in a rare while........
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Yes, Subway is deceiving us. It took a ton of research to identify all the ingredients in their bread.

Or you could google "Subway Ingredients" and click the first link, which is a PDF on Subway's own website that lists them clear as day:

http://www.subway.com/Nutrition/Files/usProdIngredients.pdf
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I can only assume this person did their research. This is really scary for anyone who eats at Subway often.

"Somebody should inform Subway that to make real whole-wheat bread all you really need is whole-wheat flour, yeast, salt, water, and maybe some honey. But that doesn’t really do anything for shelf life or the fact that the stores do not bake their breads.

While all the sandwiches contain chemical additives, refined bleached flour, preservatives, artificial colors, MSG, refined sugars, GMOs, and over 50 ingredients, only three contain nitrates. Yea! Far out! Only three!"

OH MY GOD - NOT PRESERVATIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE ALL GUNNA DIE!
    tumblr_m0ux4r9Wd61rn95k2o1_500.gif
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m7ebtepGb21r2isst.jpg
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I worked at subway for 5 years the bread comes frozen in a box. The first thing you do is spray the pan down with a pam like substance. Then you put the bread on the pan and spray it down with water, you put it in the rack and wait for it to thaw once it has thawed you add the honey oat or whatever else to make it the type of bread it is then you place it in the warmer so that it can rise to the correct height. The next thing you do is place it in the oven and let it bake for like 12 to 15 min. That is the subway bread making process.

How long ago was this? I used silicone baking forms and no spray when I worked there.

But you are essentially correct.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Also: " fact that the stores do not bake their breads."

This is false. Someone pointed this out in the thread, but they do bake the bread. The dough comes frozen, but they bake it in store.

They also roll out dough and bake it right in front of the customers. The ingredients are on their website.

I'm not sure what the "deception" the article talks about actually is.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    So....I like food. I'm going to eat what food tastes good. Whether that's chemical laden vegetables at Subway, or sugary processed Oreos or some kind of meat substance at McDonalds.

I'm not a farmer. I will never be a farmer. Eating "clean" is still impossible. If you trust the foods at the grocery store are what they say they are you are sadly mistaken.

And you eat it anyways.

And you're still alive.

Just eat what you want. Nothing doesn't have chemicals, preservatives, etc. If you want to know what you eat, buy a cow, a chicken, grass feed it, plant some veggies, and call it a day.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Yes, Subway is deceiving us. It took a ton of research to identify all the ingredients in their bread.

Or you could google "Subway Ingredients" and click the first link, which is a PDF on Subway's own website that lists them clear as day:

http://www.subway.com/Nutrition/Files/usProdIngredients.pdf

Watch out Jonny … you're going to have to add Subway to your ticker soon. :laugh:
  • JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Off to subway.... cant wait... Im gonna ask for extra nitrates. Do they charge for those?