Evil Subway - Read this if you eat at there!

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Ya you guys run with that...I'm not interested in splitting hairs and talking circles. But one thing that is shady subway often will list their nutrional information with lovely little tiny print disclaimers on the bottom ...where you find out that cheese and sauce are not included (which in the picture they will show it with cheese and sauce and still right beside list the cals that don't includ items in picture) I got a coffee from mcdonalds the other day and yes there was a picture of egg mcmuffin...for a certain amount of cals...guess what it included the cheese which was shown in picture no disclaimer ...I realize they aren't the only fast food place that does this...but trust me out of alot of fast food places they are guity of it ALOT...reason is they want to be like there old moto "choose well" well ya there make sure you read the small print so you will "choose well"

When subway puts that disclaimer yes it is being deceiving. Its making them look better...they are banking on the fact that a person will see this delish sub with cheese and not notice that they are actually not getting that sandwich with cheese for that amount of cals.

OK, well someone has not yet taught you to read the fine print. If it's in there, they aren't lying.

And there is it "
    OK, well someone has not yet taught YOU to read the fine print. If it's in there, they aren't lying. Clearly I do read the fine print. But I have empathy for those that don't...so sue me.

Let me quote you here...
    Its the lies that tick me off.

The only "lie" you could come up with was "they give the nutritional info for a sandwich with no cheese but it has cheese in the picture."

They don't do that. Seems the only person lying here is you.

yes they do...but I guess it only matters what you preceive.

What?? So you take no responsibility whatsoever for what is true? The only thing that matters is what you perceive?

I see.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Well its been fun, but I not out really to convert anyone to have to agree with me.. I have seen it various times in my 3 years being in store almost everyday..take it or leave it I don't care. ...till next combative thread lol...:flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

LOL get totally debunked and then bail out and say you are right and we are still wrong…LOL
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Funny when I tried to tell people what I learned about the food from working there for 3 years I was hissed at and shunned here.

Like I get its time saving to run in a get a sandwich made...and we all eat out on occasion. But I disagree with is the advertising...its not a healthier choice. Its the lies that tick me off.

Yeah I used to work there too, gross. Like the chicken is 'chicken product' not actual pieces of chicken and at our store everything was constantly expired, just with new labels.

And you didn't report them to Health Dept?? For the expired labels I mean. 'Chicken product' is most definitely parts of chicken.

you bet I did! the inspector came and found the labels all in order nothing to be done..... plus the owners knew it was me as I had been the only one who seemed to ask and I threw things away when they expired... all of the sudden they didn't have any hours available for me to work. Not worth the fight, it was a 'I am looking for a job in my field and just working here to have something to do' job for me, so I got off easy, it was a poor town and the other workers had few other options for jobs, so I had no trouble taking the fall for it, I just wish that something would have happened. This was years ago, tho, I don't know if they are still open.

And yeah, there isd some parts of chicken in the chicken, but when chicken isnt the first ingredient on the list, I have a problem, and the printed on grill lines on the chicken breasts creep me out.

Do we live in some kind of alternate reality where you have a different subway than I do? Chicken is the first ingredient listed for their chicken breast patty, their chicken breast strips and their teriyaki chicken breast strips. And surprise surprise, roast beef is the first ingredient listed for the roast beef, turkey breast is the first ingredient listed for turkey and egads! Ham is the first ingredient listed for ham.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Well its been fun, but I not out really to convert anyone to have to agree with me.. I have seen it various times in my 3 years being in store almost everyday..take it or leave it I don't care. ...till next combative thread lol...:flowerforyou:

The adult thing to do when caught saying something that is verifiably untrue is to say "huh, wow, I guess I was wrong. I will adjust my statements and knowledge accordingly. Thank you."

The childlike thing to do is "I've had enough of this game, I'm going home! I'll keep on saying things that are totally untrue because my ego cannot handle being wrong."

Which of the above things does this response look like?

LOL drives you nuts when people wont agree with you huh? its okay.

Actually, it drives me nuts when people are caught saying things that are blatantly untrue and absolutely refuse to accept that they're wrong.

You said something that is wrong. Very wrong. You accused them of lying. That was your word. "Lies." You told us - all of us - that the lie they tell is that they picture their sandwiches in a given configuration but give the nutritional information for a different configuration.

However, this is wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Untrue. A falsehood. Subway does not do this. They picture the sandwiches in the configuration for which they give the nutritional information.

You have traversed the gap between "wrong" and "lying." You have been presented with the actual facts and steadfastly maintain repeating the falsehood. This means you are, in fact, the one lying.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

The adult thing to do when caught saying something that is verifiably untrue is to say "huh, wow, I guess I was wrong. I will adjust my statements and knowledge accordingly. Thank you."

The childlike thing to do is "I've had enough of this game, I'm going home! I'll keep on saying things that are totally untrue because my ego cannot handle being wrong."

Is this a THING?? Do people actually DO that anymore?
    I thought that went out of style with the mullet.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Ya you guys run with that...I'm not interested in splitting hairs and talking circles. But one thing that is shady subway often will list their nutrional information with lovely little tiny print disclaimers on the bottom ...where you find out that cheese and sauce are not included (which in the picture they will show it with cheese and sauce and still right beside list the cals that don't includ items in picture) I got a coffee from mcdonalds the other day and yes there was a picture of egg mcmuffin...for a certain amount of cals...guess what it included the cheese...I realize they aren't the only fast food place that does this...but trust me out of alot of fast food places they are guity of it ALOT...reason is they want to be like there old moto "choose well" well ya there make sure you read the small print so you will "choose well"

When subway puts that disclaimer yes it is being deceiving. Its making them look better...they are banking on the fact that a person will see this delish sub with cheese and not notice that they are actually not getting that sandwich with cheese for that amount of cals.

You know that cheese is optional on their sandwiches, right? And not standard as presented? And that it doesn't show up even in the pictures unless it's a integral part of the sandwich - in which case it's included in the nutrition information. They are required to give you the nutrition information for the sandwiches they advertise - not for every possible permutation you can think of.

It's not Subway's fault if you are unable to grasp this relatively simple premise.

Your missing my point...and no they don't flash it around that its not part of the sandwich. I'm just saying that for just your regular person that isn't sitting there investigating all that information and trying to choosing what they think is a healthier choice and going merely by marketing...subway is hoping you will think they are healthier.

I think people have enough common sense to realize that the footlong meatball with cheese is going to have more calories than the footlong turkey breast with no cheese...

Yeah I have to agree. lol... Even before calorie counting I knew that cheese wasn't countered into total. It says so right on the napkins(additional condiments and cheese will add more cals), menu.. I go on their site and use their calculator to see how many cals, etc my sandwich will be. And also most subways are individually owned I thought. So maybe the subway you worked out was just crappy. Ever thought of that? Not disputing your experience but come one now, you can't group all of them together! LMAO!!!

Just like certain MCdonald's, yes I said it people, lol, are good at one location and the next just gross... fries stale, etc.

So again individually owned fast food chains may have different standards.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

LOL drives you nuts when people wont agree with you huh? its okay.

Actually, it drives me nuts when people are caught saying things that are blatantly untrue and absolutely refuse to accept that they're wrong.

You said something that is wrong. Very wrong. You accused them of lying. That was your word. "Lies." You told us - all of us - that the lie they tell is that they picture their sandwiches in a given configuration but give the nutritional information for a different configuration.

However, this is wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Untrue. A falsehood. Subway does not do this. They picture the sandwiches in the configuration for which they give the nutritional information.

You have traversed the gap between "wrong" and "lying." You have been presented with the actual facts and steadfastly maintain repeating the falsehood. This means you are, in fact, the one lying.

WOW....thats all I got to say...WOW

WOW. You lied. smh
  • GeminiBridget
    GeminiBridget Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Here is the information you can use to find a couple of journals for your reading pleasure:

De Vogli R, Kouvonen A, Gimeno D. 'Globesization': ecological evidence on the relationship between fast food outlets and obesity among 26 advanced economies. Critical Public Health [serial online]. December 2011;21(4):395-402.

Rosenheck, R. R. (2008). Fast food consumption and increased caloric intake: a systematic review of a trajectory towards weight gain and obesity risk. Obesity Reviews, 9(6), 535-547. doi:10.1111/j.1467-789X.2008.00477.x

Enjoy! I'm off to get in a good workout.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    WOW....thats all I got to say...WOW

Actually on second thought I do have something to say, I will say that I think its a shame that you have not been able to learn that the other people do have opinions and they aren't to be view as life altering distructive that you would need to reply as you did...wow major rant you gave your going to give yourself a hernia. It is my opinion that yes Subways does market in a way that make it seem they have a superior fast food product. It is my opinion that because it isn't superior its shady. And yes its not "lying" its more deceving. So if your problem is more with me using the word "lies" then okay I retract that word, but I still maintain that I feel they are deceptive in their advertising..although I don't really owe you anything let alone a explaination to my thoughts on it, cause they are just that my thoughts and opinions.

You are entitled to your own opinions.

You are not entitled to your own facts.

What about their advertising, specifically, is deceptive? Can you point to a particular advertisement or campaign that you feel is somehow deceptive?
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Ya shame on me...having a opinion and possibly not using the exactly right word for what I was trying to express which I many times explained *eye roll*

Yep. Shame on you for having an opinion and stating it as fact from a seat of authority.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Here is the information you can use to find a couple of journals for your reading pleasure:

De Vogli R, Kouvonen A, Gimeno D. 'Globesization': ecological evidence on the relationship between fast food outlets and obesity among 26 advanced economies. Critical Public Health [serial online]. December 2011;21(4):395-402.

Rosenheck, R. R. (2008). Fast food consumption and increased caloric intake: a systematic review of a trajectory towards weight gain and obesity risk. Obesity Reviews, 9(6), 535-547. doi:10.1111/j.1467-789X.2008.00477.x

Enjoy! I'm off to get in a good workout.

From the first one:

"The aim of this study was to investigate the relationship between the density of fast food restaurants and the prevalence of obesity by gender across affluent nations."

The second is a meta-analysis of studies that seek to link fast food consumption to obesity, not establish that fast food is inherently bad. It is, obviously, possible to consume fast food in a moderate fashion that does not lead to obesity (as many of us here prove).

Your contention appears to be that fast food is bad even in the absence of obesity.

Can you produce a study to that effect? That is, a study that establishes fast food inherently causes poor health outcomes even without obesity?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

The rare occasions I am wrong, I admit it and thank people. There's nothing worse than being ignorant.

I even apologize for things I'm not wrong about sometimes, but just to people like my wife who have a monopoly on things I want...
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I really honestly don't have the time right now to point to anything right now.

You've been participating in this thread for hours and can't point to a single actual thing about their advertising you feel is deceptive?

Perhaps you were just mistaken about a simple fact in the past... a fact that you based this opinion on, and now that this fact has been proven false, you are unwilling to reconsider your opinion?

No matter. If you truly have no time we will wait. I am confident that you won't come up with anything substantial, but will be more than happy to apologize if you prove me wrong. I am genuinely interested in seeing what you feel is deceptive. I have, for many years, found that Subway is the most straightforward and transparent with regards to nutritional information. McDonald's and others have largely caught up with their online calculators, but for a long time it was easiest to get full quality nutritional info from Subway. And they have long had the largest selection of low-calorie meal options of all the major fast food chains.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

The rare occasions I am wrong, I admit it and thank people. There's nothing worse than being ignorant.

I even apologize for things I'm not wrong about sometimes, but just to people like my wife who have a monopoly on things I want...

Unacceptable!
    You're on MFP forums.
    We argue with our significant others and just break up, then post cat gifs and tell the previous poster that he or she could post nekkid.

Stop making sense and get with the program! :smile:
  • susiesweets
    Options
    I really love me my carbs especially fresh bread baked right in my oven containing nothing but Flour, Water, Yeast, Sugar, salt, and butter(or olive oil & spices /herbs depending on if it's pizza night or not) but nothing says healthy option like subway when your other options are McDonalds, a fried food (mostly seafood) joint, or a Chinese place where almost a quarter of the customers leave with food poisoning. When cooking at home isn't an option I will pick Subway (unless I'm strapped for cash then I make unhealthy eating choices and have a heart attack in a sack from the dollar menu). What kills me about Subway is the calories for even the most veggie packed sandwiches. I have one footlong and I'm looking at 200-400 calories remaining for my day. Ouch!

It's all about Moderation.
  • hamo1987
    hamo1987 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was previously a manager for subways for a few years while I finished my degree and I can tell you... the bread is not whole wheat, nor is it claimed to be it is nine grain wheat... I can tell you it comes frozen and is thawed, proofed, baked, and served right in front of the customer, I can tell you every item if vegitables other than pickled items arrive in a whole state just as you would purchase it and it is cleane, cut, and served in front of the customer, and I can also tell you that the chicken is in fact chicken, but due to pre cooking, flash freezing, and reheating it can absolutely change its texture, it still remains chicken even so.. if u have ever overcooked shrimp it is very much the same idea it doesn't make it fake. The meats are processed exactly the same way they are in your local grocery store deli, only way to avoid processed meats is to buy it whole and cook it yourself.. subway hass very healthy options and multiple servings of fresh produce it is your ordering that changes the health content... quite simple really
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I really love me my carbs especially fresh bread baked right in my oven containing nothing but Flour, Water, Yeast, Sugar, salt, and butter(or olive oil & spices /herbs depending on if it's pizza night or not) but nothing says healthy option like subway when your other options are McDonalds, a fried food (mostly seafood) joint, or a Chinese place where almost a quarter of the customers leave with food poisoning. When cooking at home isn't an option I will pick Subway (unless I'm strapped for cash then I make unhealthy eating choices and have a heart attack in a sack from the dollar menu). What kills me about Subway is the calories for even the most veggie packed sandwiches. I have one footlong and I'm looking at 200-400 calories remaining for my day. Ouch!

It's all about Moderation.

I had a 12" veggie sub with veggies, black olives, light mayo and vinegar for lunch today. It was around 630 calories for the whole thing and I was full for hours. That left me with 1,620 calories for the rest of the day, which I used at Arbys for supper :bigsmile:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Actually on second thought I do have something to say, I will say that I think its a shame that you have not been able to learn that the other people do have opinions and they aren't to be view as life altering distructive that you would need to reply as you did...wow major rant you gave your going to give yourself a hernia. It is my opinion that yes Subways does market in a way that make it seem they have a superior fast food product. It is my opinion that because it isn't superior its shady. And yes its not "lying" its more deceving. So if your problem is more with me using the word "lies" then okay I retract that word, but I still maintain that I feel they are deceptive in their advertising..although I don't really owe you anything let alone a explaination to my thoughts on it, cause they are just that my thoughts and opinions.
    There is opinion and there is a well researched scientific position.
    "Spaghetti and meatballs are nice" is my OPINION.
    "Additive chemicals are bad for you" is, well, a nonsensical suggestion.
    "Approved artificial sweetener additives are not dangerous other than to those who are allergic/intolerant" is a well researched scientific position.

If you wish to use the middle one, expect people who've taken time to learn about the last to pull you up on it.

Fianlly.... ignoring the complaints about healthy aren't appropriate... let me get this straight... you are complaining that advertising is not painting the whole picture and is putting their product in the best light?
    Even in North Korea you won't get away from stuff being misrepresented to 'sell'. Welcome to the world!

Also - your thread title.
    If it had read "Reasons why I personally am disappointed with subway" it might have gone down better than "Evil Subway - Read this if you eat at there!" :)
  • hamo1987
    hamo1987 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    As a previous manager of this company I can tell u with 100 percent certainty that the only sandwiches shown with cheese or sauce are the "Melt" sandwiches to which are not of the "healthy choice" not one six gram fat or less also known as the healthy options or heart association or doctor association choices contain cheese nor sauce in the picure... it is not just fine print it is clearl displayed in their picture translates as well.
    Ya you guys run with that...I'm not interested in splitting hairs and talking circles. But one thing that is shady subway often will list their nutrional information with lovely little tiny print disclaimers on the bottom ...where you find out that cheese and sauce are not included (which in the picture they will show it with cheese and sauce and still right beside list the cals that don't includ items in picture) I got a coffee from mcdonalds the other day and yes there was a picture of egg mcmuffin...for a certain amount of cals...guess what it included the cheese which was shown in picture no disclaimer ...I realize they aren't the only fast food place that does this...but trust me out of alot of fast food places they are guity of it ALOT...reason is they want to be like there old moto "choose well" well ya there make sure you read the small print so you will "choose well"

OK, well someone has not yet taught you to read the fine print. If it's in there, they aren't lying.

And there is it "
    OK, well someone has not yet taught YOU to read the fine print. If it's in there, they aren't lying. Clearly I do read the fine print. But I have empathy for those that don't...so sue me.

Let me quote you here...
    Its the lies that tick me off.

The only "lie" you could come up with was "they give the nutritional info for a sandwich with no cheese but it has cheese in the picture."

They don't do that. Seems the only person lying here is you.

yes they do...but I guess it only matters what you preceive.

Show us a Subway picture of a sub containing cheese, which then does not have cheese included in the nutrition information. We will happily wait.

By the way - I already checked the Subway website, and I go to Subway quite regularly. So you're going to have to dig a little deeper than that. But we'll wait.

• krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I have *never* heard Subway say they're an Organic or Non-GMO restaurant... maybe I missed those commercials.

Whoever wrote that blog post shops for their bread at Whole Paycheck. Sorry, I can't afford that grocery store and if the fact that I can afford Subway means that I'm eating GMOs... at least I know the calorie content and exactly what I'm eating.

Unlike a place like Panera Bread where lots of people I know think it's "healthy" when they have a salad that is over 1,000 calories!