Parasites controling your cravings. How true?

Options

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Wow people are really judgemental on this site.

p.s. Am I the only one who thinks the my fetus is a parasite joke is creepy? If you think your kid is parasite please don't spawn any more into the world. We're almost at 10 billion. Thanks in advance.

Oh the irony. Oh the lack of self-awareness. Oh the lack of a sense of humor.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    p.s. Am I the only one who thinks the my fetus is a parasite joke is creepy? If you think your kid is parasite please don't spawn any more into the world. We're almost at 10 billion. Thanks in advance.

Aren't you just a ray of sunshine?

No, don't find it creepy in the least.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    People do realize that parasite infestation is not asymptomatic, right?

I hope so.
  • jennbee97
    jennbee97 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is sarcasm and ridicule a common practice on this site? I have never posted anything or logged into the community portion of the application, this is my first time. I am a little disappointed. No question is silly in the quest for health is it? Anyhow I have heard there are different types of parasites as well. Most common in the developed world are pinworms, as per my close friend who is a physician. But mostly in school age children and associated. They are treated with a strong medication. I would say if you are having a lot of cravings for sweet you could have Candida which is an overgrowth of yeast in the gut. Candida can cause a whole host of issues weight gain, mood, swings, depression etc. This can be quite prolific and is VERY difficult to treat. Basically you would need to cut out all sugar including grains, fruit and even some sweet vegetables for awhile. Plus you would need a lot of probiotics and prebiotics. You could also be low in some nutrients, vitamin B, zinc, iron etc. Not too sure what relates to what craving but I know there are. Most likely it is one of these two since in North America our processed and antibiotic laden diet leads to these sorts of things. Don't get too caught up in the "OMG I HAVE WORMS!" thing. It plays tricks with your head. Focus on health first and naturally the other related issues usually subside.
  • in_the_stars
    Options
    Just as we've been evolving to survive disease, all the organisms that cause disease have been evolving right along with us.
  • amandasimons50
    amandasimons50 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Were you perhaps thinking of this, http://keybiotics.com/video_toon15c.php. ? My brother sent it to me, but at nearly an hour long I didn't have the patience to watch it. No idea if its bunk or a sales pitch or what...

They are trying to sell you something..
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Is sarcasm and ridicule a common practice on this site? I have never posted anything or logged into the community portion of the application, this is my first time. I am a little disappointed. No question is silly in the quest for health is it? Anyhow I have heard there are different types of parasites as well. Most common in the developed world are pinworms, as per my close friend who is a physician. But mostly in school age children and associated. They are treated with a strong medication. I would say if you are having a lot of cravings for sweet you could have Candida which is an overgrowth of yeast in the gut. Candida can cause a whole host of issues weight gain, mood, swings, depression etc. This can be quite prolific and is VERY difficult to treat. Basically you would need to cut out all sugar including grains, fruit and even some sweet vegetables for awhile. Plus you would need a lot of probiotics and prebiotics. You could also be low in some nutrients, vitamin B, zinc, iron etc. Not too sure what relates to what craving but I know there are. Most likely it is one of these two since in North America our processed and antibiotic laden diet leads to these sorts of things. Don't get too caught up in the "OMG I HAVE WORMS!" thing. It plays tricks with your head. Focus on health first and naturally the other related issues usually subside.

Systemic candidiasis is just not a prevalent as people think, and a real treatment usually includes anti-fungals.
    What you are talking about is a "cleanse diet"

What does Mayo Clinic say about that....
    Unfortunately, there isn't much evidence to support the diagnosis of yeast syndrome. Consequently many conventional practitioners doubt its validity. And there are no clinical trials that document the efficacy of a candida cleanse diet for treating any recognized medical condition.

Not surprisingly, many people note improvement in various symptoms when following this diet. If you stop eating sugar and white flour, you'll generally wind up cutting out most processed foods, which tend to be high in calorie content and low in nutritive value. Within a few weeks of replacing processed foods with fresh ones and white flour with whole grains, you may start to feel better in general. That, rather than stopping the growth of yeast in the gastrointestinal tract, is the main benefit of a candida cleanse diet.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    In - For later this seems entertaining
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    People do realize that parasite infestation is not asymptomatic, right?

I think many of us are too busy googling asymptomatic to realize this. Not me though, I've seen every episode of House MD twice. I'm basically a doctor.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options

Since you seem to have a fantastic sense of humor (I sure hope your sarcasm detector is working!) let me explain..

The mother (host) supplies nutrients and blood to an organism that grows and grows... Some tend to release and are expelled on their own, some are removed with the help of drugs.

Now, am I talking about having a baby or a parasite? Pretty similar, huh??
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

if all the people who had a sense of humour stopped breeding as per your request, then all the sense of humour genes would be lost from the gene pool. This would result in future generations of people who totally lack a sense of humour and aside from the fact that that would be a tragic, tragic waste of human potential, it would result in generations of boring humourless people who only see the dismal side of life. The suicide rates would soar and the species would ultimately go extinct, and as we're the only species left in our genus, and the only genus left in our entire lineage, that would be a horrible, horrible demise of a most fascinating and unique clade. Then the bonobos would take over our evolutoinary nice and evolve big brains and develop advanced technology and then take over the planet. Kind of like "planet of the apes" only with much more sex, because bonobos. So everyone panic now.

Oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

On a more serious note, while parents may joke about their kids being rugrats, parasites and the like, they actually love their kids to bits and would never say anything like that to the kids. I don't think one single parent on this thread actually thinks their kid is a parasite.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

This is commonly referred to as 'hearing hoofbeats and first thinking zebras, not horses'.

The point is that in 99% of cases the reason we crave sweet stuff is because sweet stuff tastes good and we are weak. People grasp for solutions that absolve them of accepting and addressing their weakness. Long term this does nothing to help them improve.

That's why we tend to be unaccepting of this type of thread.
  • in_the_stars
    Options
    "there's a very strong cultural, negative response to the concept of a parasite of any kind. The irony is that...this is such a crucial creative force..If you want to evolve, you have to be open to being parasitized," Villarreal.

Infectious design, anybody?
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    Options

if all the people who had a sense of humour stopped breeding as per your request, then all the sense of humour genes would be lost from the gene pool. This would result in future generations of people who totally lack a sense of humour and aside from the fact that that would be a tragic, tragic waste of human potential, it would result in generations of boring humourless people who only see the dismal side of life. The suicide rates would soar and the species would ultimately go extinct, and as we're the only species left in our genus, and the only genus left in our entire lineage, that would be a horrible, horrible demise of a most fascinating and unique clade. Then the bonobos would take over our evolutoinary nice and evolve big brains and develop advanced technology and then take over the planet. Kind of like "planet of the apes" only with much more sex, because bonobos. So everyone panic now.

Oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

On a more serious note, while parents may joke about their kids being rugrats, parasites and the like, they actually love their kids to bits and would never say anything like that to the kids. I don't think one single parent on this thread actually thinks their kid is a parasite.

The real tragedy in your hypothesis is all the parasites would starve. Whole little wriggly families, wiped out. When everyone know that all we have to do is build an undersea pineapple house and the nematodes will drink it and leave. Wheres the compassion?

The thing hat has been killing me all morning is the idea that doctors in the USSR 'weren't in it for the money'. Well, duh.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Just as we've been evolving to survive disease, all the organisms that cause disease have been evolving right along with us.

actually, disease causing organisms evolve a heck of a lot faster than us, due to having much shorter generation times. But yes, the overall concept of there being an ongoing arms race between organisms' immune systems and disease causing organisms is correct.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    There is some truth to that, but not as dramatically as what you stated. Not "controlling your mind completely".
  • SusieCuteYay
    SusieCuteYay Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Instead of parasites ,, Id research the chemical farmers feed their livestock to make these animals put on weight a month before slaughter..... Ill bet what ever it is, dose affect some people,,, and just may make these people put on weight...
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    1979_alien_012_t607.jpg

This topic makes me think of the original Alien movie from '79.

Tell you what, once that parasite got into your system the human host was doomed and don't even talk about how the damn critter exited the host after it's gestation period was complete.

That movie scared the crap out of me at the time.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    1979_alien_012_t607.jpg

This topic makes me think of the original Alien movie from '79.

Tell you what, once that parasite got into your system the human host was doomed and don't even talk about how the damn critter exited the host after it's gestation period was complete.

That movie scared the crap out of me at the time.

at risk of being told that i shouldn't breed............ you think Alien's bad... you should try giving birth....
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My son asked for and recieved this for Christmas http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/a9d5/

and yeah, birth... both c-sections made me long for the days where they knocked you out. At least I got sewn back up again.