WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi all - just checking in quickly.

Katla - flourless chocolate cake is almost like a fudge cake - very dense and rich. I haven't made one, so haven't checked out any recipes. It is seriously yummy but not something I would let in the house! Once a year, to share with DH is about all I can handle.:laugh:

Jill in Western MA
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends,

Susan: I have been averaging about 100 carbs a day. I tried the true ‘low carb’ regime last year and I didn’t like how cranky and moody I felt. :mad: :angry: :explode: :grumble: It was also insanely difficult to manage on a heavy business travel schedule. So, this month I am going to try 2 super low carb days per week and see if that makes a difference.

LizMil: One day at a time…been there! :wink: Keep coming back as we’re all here for you as you develop new habits that will lead to your radiant good health.

Joyce: Good for you for giving Zumba a try. Just keep smiling and try to have fun. :happy: No matter what, you will burn calories.

Anne in BC: Does your coach write down the workouts for you so that on the occasions he can’t make it, you have another workout routine to follow? :ohwell:

Heather: I have been doing HIIT 2x per week for about 4 months using either the recumbent bike or elliptical machine in our condo gym. My cardio used to be all one speed for 43 minutes watching back episodes of Hawaii-50 or The Mentalist. :glasses: :happy: With HIIT, I am more present in what I am doing. I still hate counting minutes, so I found a free app on my kindle that gives me audio signal for when to start, accelerate, recover. My trainer also recently introduced me to an earlier variation of HIIT called Tabata, after the person who started it. I’m not ready to do that on my own, so for now it’s under her watchful eyes and timing.

Grandmallie: Big hug to you. :heart: Between home and hospital stress, you’re really holding up like a trooper. I think it’s wonderful that you read to your brother, especially something that brings sweet memories. Sending prayers up for his full recovery.

DeeDee: A boat? :sad: :noway: Yikes, hope your home and car are okay. I’m watching the Panthers game right now, and it looks like a nice day. Yay.

Katla: Bravo to you for navigating the confounding world of Medicare. :flowerforyou: I find that kind of research stressful.

Rose from Delaware: Down 3 pounds = happy dance for you! :drinker: :drinker: Where in Delaware do you live?

I’m trying a new recipe this afternoon for our game time meal: Bison Meatloaf. It’s based on the recipe they use at the restaurant Ted’s Montana Grill. Cooking bison can be challenging because it's so lean and can dry out. Wish me luck.

Rori In the Colorado Foothills where we’re United in Orange

Goals for January:
    > Reduce carb consumption to 30 grams 2x per week
    > Five face exercises every day
    > Schedule three weeks of vacation
    > When in doubt, chose vegetables (from The Happiness Project)
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon from Channahon,IL.It`s in the 40`s today,people washing cars and enjoying the warmer weather.
    Catching up here before going to son`s til Wed.
    Have a great day!!
    HUGS
    jane
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Just a quick hello. My dad is in the ICU with sepsis so I won't be around much. Take care all. Meg
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Nice sunny day here; today was our monthly gym breakfast at Golden Corral..........3 men and 2 women.........had a ball and we talked almost 3hrs!!! My mood is still "off" but I'm not as restless as yesterday; thought about going to the nursing home after breakfast but just couldn't make myself.

Sylvia..........You certainly are having more than your share of "adventures"!!!

Barbie..........Fantastic way to watch a sporting event! May your team go all the way.

Meg.............Hoping you have a productive and not insanely busy semester!!! Thanks for the hugs, they were appreciated. Best wishes for your dad and (((hugs))) to you too.

Susan and Joyce............Have had a heated mattress pad for about 3 yrs. Got it at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and wouldn't hesitate to replace it if anything ever happens to it............I love it!!!

Joyce...........Speaking of "smells'. (and DHs)..........My mom used those Poise pads. One year when she was living with us I took her and DD up to Pa. to her home for our annual summer visit.........returned 3 weeks later to be almost knocked down by the stench when I opened the front door. Tracked it down to the powder room...........which had been sprayed with so much Febreeze over and over that the walls were stained with it where the liquid had run down and dried............dh noticed the odor and tried to get rid of it
    but never thought to EMPTY the trashcan with a 3 week old VERY used Poise pad!!!!........she had apparently popped in there right before we left. Still shake my head when I think of that one........and.........then there was the time he ruined the finish on our counter tops with scouring powder........and the time he was making a sauce and insisted he could hold a Pyrex bowl over the open flame of the gas stove......................

Welcome newbies and congrats to those with losses!!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Katla - My mother lives in southwestern North Carolina (the foothills region) and the area is very rural.

Meg - I'm sorry about your dad's illness. Take care of yourself, too!

It is beautiful and sunny here today. I think I'm going to test out my knee in a bit and get outside to walk. I probably need to stay close to home or, at least make sure that my daughter is on call to come pick me up if I give up. The knee seems fine as long as I'm standing or walking, but getting up and down from a sitting position is killer!

Spent some time last night and today looking for lower calorie meatloaf recipes. I like the mini loaves for dinner, but not so much for sandwiches, so I think I'm going to try a crock pot recipe. I found one that calls for putting carrots and potatoes around the meatloaf while it cooks, but I think they would soak up the grease, so I'm thinking I'm going to wrap them in foil packets (maybe open on the top) and then place them around the meatloaf. I don't have the tummy patience to wait until a meatloaf cooks after I get home from work! Also, although I love soups and chilies, I'm getting a little tired of having them twice a day.

Speaking of food (not like we're all focused on it or anything LOL), I found out last week about Bojangle's roasted chicken bites. They are awesome and 280 calories per serving! It is always very gratifying to me when I find an item I can order from a fast food restaurant that is relatively healthy. Sometimes one needs to be able to grab something on the go! Of course, I eat the biscuit that comes with them which is another 280 calories, but the meal makes me feel not only full, but satisfied. Add in an order of green beans and the total meal is just under 600 calories. Unless you add jelly, of course. :blushing:

I'm off now to make a grocery list and to get my walk on. Have a great day everyone!

Carol in 57 degree NC
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday afternoon Vit F friends. Had a great day playing golf.Yep, I play badly so I get lots of exercise. We have pecan trees lining the fairways and the balls like to hide in the leaves!
    Meg - sending prayers for your Dad. Hope he gets better soon.
    Geri- I can relate to your post about your DH and your "diet". Mine will share food with me by sticking it toward my mouth. He is being nice, I know<,but sometimes I don't need the calories.He always says he loves when I'm on a diet because I cook better meals.
    Allison - sorry to hear Sean has C-diff. My DH got it when he was prescribed an old antibotic before he had dental work. We did as the doctors off said and took what they told us and he just got worse. Finally ended up in ER and admitted to hospital for 7 days on a really strong medicine.
    Liz - welcome back, you've been missed.
    Michele - I was reading the posts real fast and I thought you said "heated bed pan"!!! I was thinking what in the world would she need a heated bed pan. LOL:laugh:
    Rori - love your healthy New Year. It all sounds so good. When we lived in Co Springs was when the Broncos had the Orange Crush. All the kids had bright orange shirts.
    Sylvia - good attitude thinking it could've been worse. if the dogs had gotten sprayed the ride home would not have been pleasant.
    Sandy - Great loss. Good for you.
    Rose- good job on your loss. Keep on keeping on.
    Better get ready for the Broncos game.
    Sue in TX
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Meg, I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope he makes a fully & speedy recovery.

Geri
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends,

Back from Chicago today. Trip went well. Back home no burst pipes and heat is on. AHH simple pleasures.

Hopefully I can get back to speed with all of you.

Carol well deserved again.:flowerforyou:

Susan thanks for the reminder about sugar. It is a reminder to me diet and exercise are our best preventative medicine. We are of an age either ourselves or those we love have felt the effect of not taking care of ourselves.

Enjoyed yesterday. We visited with my niece and DH nephew. Actually got out for a walk outside.:glasses: It was wet, but so nice to be outside. We walked with nephew as he walked his standard poodle, Archie. We did a quick stop in at Lincoln Park's Conservatory. They were between shows, still nice to get in that tropical heat. My picture was taken at the Como Park Conservatory in St. Paul. It fits me because I love to garden.

Goals:
    Limit TV/computer
    contentment
    communication

Life is too short for a bad cup of coffee.:drinker:
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Went out shopping for some good workout pants. My daughter said that if I wanted a good pair and one that fit me well I would have to go to a sporting goods store. I knew I wanted to go to Target for some printer ink and alarm clock and ****s is right beside it so I went there. The selection of pants that aren't the skin tight ones is very slim to nothing.:cry: I refuse to put my things and abdomen in those skin tight ones. The world does not need to see that. I did find a pair of Adidas that is loose and has zippers on the lower legs that make the fit better. But I had to pay almost $50 for it. So I checked at Target and they had some also, I just bought them and haven't tried them on. I figure as my thighs goes down I will fit in them. I am finding that my shortened height sure fits these pants differently. I also bought a bigger water bottle. Mine presently is only 20 ounces and I go through it and more at the Y when I ride my bike there. I figure with Zumba I will need a BIG one.

Yes, husbands. we could write a book on them couldn't we. Couldn't live without them and hard to live with them. I won't even dare to try to describe to you what the water tank looks like in our hallway bathroom. His home made fix is pretty bad. And some day we may have to pay for it. And duct tape, it fixes everything, or does it.

Joyce, Indiana
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody and I hope everyone's dealing OK with burst pipes, ill family members or pets, wildlife, cravings for this or that etc.!

Made it through my holiday dinners/receptions/whatever so far, and lost another pound! One more dinner on Monday (tomorrow), and...birthday cake...teehee....

Goodnight and hope everyone sleeps well!

Cynthia
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Meg-sending hugs and prayers for your dad and you.:heart::heart: :heart:
    Joyce-I laughed about the duct tape.My kids use to make fun of their dad,just fix it with duct tape.
    Hope everyone is enjoying their day.
    HUGS:heart::heart:
    jane(IL)
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    We co-signed for our son to lease a new car last night -- a 2013 Honda Civic coupe. He didn't have any credit (it pulled up as a complete blank), so we thought that it was time to start him out establishing some. He's 21. We also made the down payment since he didn't have any money. This is such a relief to me! :bigsmile: He has been nagging about the cars we provide for him for several years, and I'm so tired of hearing it. We've been arguing about co-signing for 6 months, as he wouldn't chose anything that was reasonable until now.

My Fitbit has been shipped, and should be here by mid-week. I've sure missed it! :love:

The saga with my parents just never ends. In the middle of the car paperwork, I got a call from my father that my mother had fallen and was calling that she needed help and couldn't get up. He isn't physically capable of helping her, and didn't know where she was. The evening helper who was supposed to be there had left early (not sure why, as she didn't run it past me). Luckily, Mom didn't break anything and seemed to be okay except for some dizziness. Her pulse and blood pressure were normal. Dad fell again two weeks ago. He also seems to think that he can drive, although he knows better. I badly need a break, but am not sure what to do. They were supposed to go to my brother in Hawaii for two months, but have decided that they don't want to go. I would feel like a totally awful daughter forcing them into a home (my brother leaves all of the hard conversations to me), but I don't think they can live alone much longer and be safe. :noway: I'd appreciate input from others who have gone through this, as I really can't see clearly what to do.

Barbie – You are such always such a total inspiration, and so generous in sharing your story to help the rest of us. Thank you! :love:

DeeDee – A new lipstick sounds like a great idea! I often just buy tops, as they seem to fit through several sizes. That way, I don’t feel so wasteful.

Heather – I would love to hear more about your visualization techniques for sleep.

Sandy – Great job on the weight loss!

Renny – I’ve been thinking about decluttering, too. Thank you for setting the example!

Heather – We’ve always had several rentals, and I have to say that despite the headaches, real estate is the one thing that we’ve never lost money on (unlike the stock market!). Even with expenses, we’re making about an 8% return on our money, which sure beats what the banks are paying. The trick is to buy low and sell high, which I’m sure you already know.

Rori – Congratulations on the 2 lbs. gone! How wonderful that you’re going to do your closets – I’m jealous. Happy Birthday yesterday!! That’s what happens when I miss a couple of days reading. A trip to England sounds like an amazing reward! I took my daughter for her birthday present one year, and we had a great time. This was my only trip to Europe, although I’m planning to go again sometime.

Alison – I’m so sorry about all of the problems with your brother. It sounds really hard to deal with, and I’m sure you must be stressed to the max. Know that many of us have been there, and try to take care of yourself as well as you can. It’s hard when you have to deal with your husband, too. I hope that things are better soon.

Geri – It’s hard to deal with the sabotage, but it sounds like you’re doing well. My husband asks me to get him dessert every night. He’d never cared about it before, but started this about the time I started my “diet” 18 months ago.

Meg – I hope that your Dad is okay! Sepsis was a part of all of my father’s hospitalizations this year.

Jane in Colorado
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Just a quick hello. My dad is in the ICU with sepsis so I won't be around much. Take care all. Meg

You and your dad are in my prayers, along with every one of his medical caregivers. I hope he recovers quickly.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Meg- Hugs to you. I hope your father does well and recovers. It's awful when our elderly parents get sick as they are so fragile. I t sounds as though he is in good hands and with you there, he will have the best care.
    Alison- The Chronicles of Narnia were my daughter's favorite series growing up. It will be a calming source for your brother.
    You sure are a touchstone for your family, so strong and giving.

walked 4.6 miles today. am going to do my shred later this eve.
    Susan
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,732 Member
    Options
    evening friends~
    Meg~ sending you and dad prayer's Sepsis is a toughie,will be thinking of you both:heart:
    Spent a few hours with my brother this afternoon, before that I grocery shopped and ran errands, and made DH dinner and lunch for tomorrow.
    they must be weening him off some of the heavier narcotics,because we could understand some of what he was saying.
    He told me that I pulled a fast one:wink: and they did get the ng tube back in,but not all the way to where they wanted, so they had to take him to radiology and have a dr, and nurses come in to get the tube to the lower intestine.BUT what they didnt have was the right tube:grumble: so they did squat,poor guy.so hopefully tomorrow they can get it together. I told them to tighten the restraints because he will pull that out again, and we dont want that..
    Both Jean and I are getting worn out so we left at 5 ,to get some rest, we both have to work all day tomorrow and will go over after work.
    never did make it to the gym, am going in the a.m., and then go to work at 9.
    will check in the morning
    Alison
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you ladies for your support, just wanted to stop by and tell Meg I am so sorry to hear about her dad and am sending Hugs and Prayers her way and to all who have loved ones with health problems.
    :yawn: Good night from Rose in Laurel, Delaware:yawn:
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    So glad that I've found you all again! Lovely to read all your comments.

I've realised that I do far better on mfp and with this group than on my own! So, new year, new challenge! Healed foot and thumb - only excuses but really got in the way! Now have to re-lose the 15lb I have put on since my last log with you lovely ladies back at Easter time when I fell down the stairs and did the damage that set me back!! My 'reason' was that I needed the time to walk the dogs! The dogs got walked and then instead of logging I rewarded myself with a biscuit (at least one)! Not a good plan!

Already lost 1.5lb by logging every day for a week! So back on track. I must try to keep it up.

Maryann in UK
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Jane, does your phone allow you to make conference calls? I did that several times with my Mom when she wanted to talk to my brother. I could call him free and she couldn't. So I called him, got her on the line and then clicked to get him on. Anyway, you and your brother could talk to your parents together so the hard conversations wouldn't be so much on you.

We had supper with our daughter's friend who has had the gastric sleeve surgery. The little tiny amount she could eat and she had to wait such a long time between bites. Yes, she was morbidly obese but to me that just isn't living and eating when you have so little on your plate and have to wait a LONG time between bites. She has lost 66 pounds since surgery, about 2 months ago and looks good and she says she is happy with it but this is her stomach for the rest of her life now.

Joyce, Indiana
  • tazgirl1960
    tazgirl1960 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Meg--Praying for you & your Dad, hope all goes well. :flowerforyou: