stop overdoing cardio and hit the damn weights!!!

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I love the way some people say the best way to burn more calories is to add more muscle, by lifting weights. Then others say, women don't bulk -- that is, they really do not put on much muscle when they lift.

Gah! I find myself wondering about this, too. Say if a woman wasn't aware of the impact nutrition could have on her results, decides to exercise by lifting heavy weights but not drop the calories, indeed you only build muscle in a surplus. Couldn't she then get bigger, more shapely muscles, but with the fat over them just appear bulkier? With cardio only they probably just wouldn't by smaller but the look of the muscles would not really change. But when some women say this is their experience they're told to shut up and only the ones who got sexy from lifting can speak. Also when people point out women who've indeed got muscly and ripped from lifting, they're told to shut up and leave those women alone.

Bulky or not has nothing to do with why I don't lift 140lbs, just thought the information out there can tend to be a bit one sided, and perhaps we let it be since lifting is, after all pretty great for your health

Here's what you're confusing. If you're eating in a deficit and not lifting, you're losing LBM along with fat. If you're lifting and eating in a deficit you're maintaining as much LBM as you can. You're not gaining muscle, you're maintaining what you have. So yes, it is extremely difficult for a woman to gain muscle mass and/or get bulky, but by lifting you're maining that muscle mass you already have, rather than losing both fat AND muscle.

It's not necissarily that the best way to burn more calories is to add more mass (as stated, it's really....really hard for a female to put on mass due to testosterone levels), it's to maintain what you've got.

I think you've addressed a caloric deficit quite well, but what about a surplus? This is evidenced by people on here asking why they're exercising but either gaining weight or losing no weight. Also, the sub 150lb women who gain weight but get smaller would have to have built muscle, regardless of how hard it is, correct? So it makes me wonder if it's really impossible for a woman to feel "big" or "bulky" because although she may have exercising her diet is not entirely in check and the muscles have grown. Or even in other cases what if the muscle does grow or get some definition, but the fat decides not to come off that location at first? I just think there's a bit more to the, "you're stupid, women can't gain muscle" that I usually see in response to people who say weight lifting has made them look or feel bigger

Whey they are exercising and gaining weight can come from multiple sources. Water retention, incorrect caloric burn estimation/eating too much, possibly some noob gains

A professional body building female would struggle to put on much more than 2lbs of muscle in 4-6 weeks. Unless the 150 lb female is spending the same amount of time a said professional body building female is, the amount of muscle they're going to "pack" on that will actually affect the scale is going to take months, if not years to develop. The other factor against women "bulking" is it takes a fair amount of testosterone. It's hard enough for a male to put on substantial muscle mass with the testosterone levels we have. A woman has 1/10th - 1/16th the level of a male.

I have a feeling that you are more of a "I'm gonna believe what I want to believe" type and most of this (and other posts) will go out the window.

EDIT: From the threads I've seen/taken part in most individuals who come on here and state they started exercising and gaining weight are A) Usually in the first week or two and retaining water. B) Overestimating caloric burn and eating in a surplus.

For the third time, yes!, B: the people eating at a surplus and potentially gaining muscle! Interesting how you've only had that light bulb go off in your head now that it was your idea. And please try not to prejudge me or insinuate that I'm unreasonable just because I do not agree with you. Did you ever stop to think that the idea of women not gaining muscle was so ingrained in *your* mind that you couldn't see any other scenarios? Many of those popping in to ask questions may have only worked out for two weeks but I didn't necessarily refer to time. People have put months into weights and decided they didn't like the outcome. I just think there could sometimes be some legitimacy to their perception of what they looked like under the right circumstances, including not realizing that they still have to lower or watch their food intake despite working out
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It would take close to a year for a woman to put on enough muscle to actually become bigger, without testosterone supplements. The women who come on here and claim that they put on tons of muscle just by looking at a barbell are generally dealing with a body dysmorphic issue in their head, not reality.
  • DudeistPriest
    DudeistPriest Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Uhm....Zombie stories? Now how did those find their way here?
    Some @as referenced the film Zombieland wherein they say the first rule to surviving the zombie apocalypse is "cardio".
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=zombieland+rules&id=44AC92195409269E6B25339291442602A196C792&FORM=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=E7ABA463C181429DE9AB0635875565C92075FDF8&selectedIndex=3
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    zombieland_1.jpg
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    It would take close to a year for a woman to put on enough muscle to actually become bigger, without testosterone supplements. The women who come on here and claim that they put on tons of muscle just by looking at a barbell are generally dealing with a body dysmorphic issue in their head, not reality.

In other words, they just don't know what they're talking about. That's the attitude I'm referring to
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

In other words, they just don't know what they're talking about. That's the attitude I'm referring to
    It's not an attitude. It's honesty. A normal woman (not a professional athlete) will be lucky to put on about 5 pounds of muscle in a year. 5 pounds of muscle spread out over the human body will not be noticeable to the naked eye. That's also eating a perfect surplus and heavy progressive strength training with numbers and progression hitting perfectly. Most woman will manage far less than that. It's a mental game. Body fat reduces, exposing muscle, and they immediately think they've built large amounts of muscle and are becoming manly and huge, even though all measurements have decreased. It's unfortunate, but the majority of people on the planet have zero understanding of how thir bodies actually function and look.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

It's not an attitude. It's honesty. A normal woman (not a professional athlete) will be lucky to put on about 5 pounds of muscle in a year. 5 pounds of muscle spread out over the human body will not be noticeable to the naked eye. That's also eating a perfect surplus and heavy progressive strength training with numbers and progression hitting perfectly. Most woman will manage far less than that. It's a mental game. Body fat reduces, exposing muscle, and they immediately think they've built large amounts of muscle and are becoming manly and huge, even though all measurements have decreased. It's unfortunate, but the majority of people on the planet have zero understanding of how thir bodies actually function and look.

This. Times. One. Million.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Thanks really needed this.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options

This. Times. One. Million.

Also, to some extent, lifting makes you hungry. If you are lifting and not eating a deficit (easy to do if you are not the strictest about logging) then you will get bigger (a good bit will be fat though) If your muscles get a little bigger and the fat is either still covering them or if also growing then you will be getting bulky.

The real secret to all this is find something you enjoy and do it. That will help keep you healthy all on it's own, even more so if you can do it and maintain a healthy weight and eat a reasonable diet in the respect of that.

If you want to change your shape beyond making it smaller however then you are going to need to use weights to do that. You can not change your skeleton, I will never ever have the long willowy figure I would like (5'2" hourglass) but I can work weights to improve the muscle I have and keep my boobs supported with some chest muscle so they don't sag (my waist is not far enough from them to afford for that) I can work my glutes to give me a nicely defined lifted bottom so that I don't look bottom heavy. Cardio won't change these things no matter what I do.
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Lift your weights. I'll do my cardio, but if the zombies start chasing us I'm tripping you.

Go ahead but when we can "pull ourselves up" over that fence you will wish you had done more then just cardio.

I'll be long gone before you get over that fence. You gonna have to stop moving in order to get over it, while I'll just use my ability to outrun to keep going with no chance of being caught.

I'm all set for zombs.
    So your saying the fence is going to magically move out of your way, one way or another your still gonna have to climb over it

Fences do have an end to it & if you have backed yourself into a corner with zombs chasing you...stopping to climb a fence is NOT going to save you.
    The end of that fence could be miles and miles away. While your trying to find the end by running along the fence the zombies are getting closer and closer, while we are over the fence already safe and having drinks laughing at the runner

Miles is nothing to a runner who has done cardio. Zombs are not fast, they shamble at best. I'm already gone by the time you get to the fence. I'm not heading towards a fence in the 1st place. Wonder how you are having drinks though. I'm busy surviving nicely. If you can still see me then that means you are not past that fence cause you have used all your 'strength' up to get over the fence & you are still gonna have to run. Haha

:huh: Sht got really weird

NEVER KNOW WHERE THE CONVO IS GOING TO GO ONCE SOMEONE BRINGS UP ZOMBIES ...

50540473.png
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Thank you....
  • brownbeauty2013
    brownbeauty2013 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love doing both as well, the cardio and the weights! I do notice a difference with me lifting weights, not only do I feel stronger but I look better. It helps to tone and add definition so I definitely will keep lifting weights and doing cardio because I am trying to lose as well as tone. I would tell anyone if you are able to lift , give it a try! You won't regret it! Just look around the gym, You will notice the people that are very fit are doing more lifting than anything. First I had to educate myself by reading, designing a plan for myself and putting it into action. Everyone must do what works for them but sometimes a switch up is what your body needs! Hooorahhh!!
  • PudgyPlatypus
    Options
    I like doing weights, but I'm much more interested in cardio, as it is more accessible for me (I only have a few sets of dumbbells at home and that's it), and I find it a lot more relaxing and fun in general. I love walking or running, it's more my style. Just because lifting is more your style of exercise, and cardio isn't, doesn't mean we should do things your way. It is your opinion. You do your exercise and I'll do mine! :)
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Umm, no. I will not hit the weights. And not because I think it'll make me bulky.
    1. I don't want to.
    2. I reeeaallly enjoy walking and jogging.
    3. I have no intentions of paying for a full gym membership to have access to weights.
    4. I'm still working on losing fat, toning is for when I'm closer to my goal. I can barely do many squats or lunges right now.

I don't get why so many people think everyone should lift. People are going to do what they enjoy.

+1

I'm just not interested in weight lifting at this time. Some people, girls and guys seem to talk about how "skinny fat" is just wrong, or something about how we look bad naked? Idk I get confused. Anyways, I am perfectly happy with "skinny fat" and I find cardio easier and more accessible, I can walk, jog, use elliptical, bike etc. whereas the only weights I have are 5lb hand weights. No gym membership for me. Out of our price range. Cardio is just easier, I may do some weight stuff later when I hit goal, but honestly, probably not.

If you don't care now if you have muscle, I can tell you that you will care later on in life. It's much easier to maintain muscle than to build it later in life. Additionally, weight bearing exercise not only helps prevent osteoporosis and osteopenia - I'm a true example of that. I have osteopenia. I started lifting weights (New Rules of Lifting for Women) about 18 months ago and in that time my bone density has improved by 12%, 6.3% and 15.4% in my spine, hip and forearm.
  • momtastic2014
    Options
    I used to do only cardio. I've been doing the kettle bell with my cardio a little over a week now and feel a major difference. My back does not hurt and I have more energy.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I lift weights. It is my least favorite part of my workout routine. I lift because it if effective. My main goal is increasing strength for my job and I have seen a big difference with lifting.

I love hiking, boxing and yoga. These are some of the things that I actually enjoy doing.

I think the most important thing is to just be active and there are many different ways to be active.
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm staunchly in the camp of do both/do what you enjoy/just do something..... but FWIW for those saying it's nearly impossible for a woman to noticeably grow muscle mass in a relatively short period of time, my n=1:

I spent 3 weeks on a rescue medical trip where every 1-3 days, I had to haul extremely heavy anesthetic and surgical equipment in and out of two Penske trucks. It took roughly 3 hours to unload/load each time. I spent this entire 3 weeks in loose-fitting scrubs, but when I got home and put on real clothes, my biceps literally did not fit into my fitted shirt sleeves anymore. We ate well on the trip so I at first assumed I'd just gained weight, but when I checked, I had in fact lost about 5 lbs. I just turned into Popeye.

That said, I didn't think it was a bad thing at all.
  • suemin68
    suemin68 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't enjoy strength/resistance training. I do cardio because that's what I like to do.
  • Beet_Girl
    Beet_Girl Posts: 102
    Options
    Umm, no. I will not hit the weights. And not because I think it'll make me bulky.
    1. I don't want to.
    2. I reeeaallly enjoy walking and jogging.
    3. I have no intentions of paying for a full gym membership to have access to weights.
    4. I'm still working on losing fat, toning is for when I'm closer to my goal. I can barely do many squats or lunges right now.

I don't get why so many people think everyone should lift. People are going to do what they enjoy.

Agreed. I very much enjoy running. I do not like lifting, and I can't afford a gym membership anyway. And, to be honest, I don't care so much whether or not I look "toned". I just want to be healthy, and I don't have a need for any additional strength.

So don't tell me what to do.