All calories ARE NOT created equal !!!

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Carbs turn straight to stored fat in our bodies. Our bodies burn a protein for fuel before it will chooses a carb for fuel. It will just store the carb as fat.

This is largely incorrect.

Not for me dude, Not for diabetics who have insulin resistance.

What is DNL
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    See, this is the kind of stuff that confuses me. I was under the impression that it didn't really matter WHAT you ate, as long as you stayed in a deficit, you would lose weight? Then I see posts like this and it makes me think I'm doing something wrong. I have very little weight to lose in the first place and since it's coming off so slow (5lbs in 3 months) this post makes me think i'm doing something wrong

Don't be confused, just remember that calorie deficit is what causes weight loss. Ignore these posts, they pop up every so often. The last few pounds do usually come off slowly.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I ate everything that I wanted under calorie goal and I only lost 91lbs in 12 months but if you say so, random internet person!

umm...the first part of your response was TOTALLY appropriate...shame you spoilt it with last bit!!
  • msmaxcat
    Options
    Back when I was younger (early 20s) I lost 100 lbs. I did it on a high protein diet. It was also low calorie and low fat, no carbs. It was great. I would have been under the recommended calories (way under - 500 calories a day for 8 months).

Now I'm almost 40 and I had to switch to a vegetarian diet for my weight loss. I also have to keep the calories way under the goal. I was eating their (my fitness pal) goal before I started to lose weight so obviously won't work for me now. Now though I'm not that focused on carbs vs. protein because I just can't eat tofu all day. However, I don't eat refined sugar, any wheat products and very limited rice. I also really eat whole foods and almost never buy a prepared meal... Nothing processed. I've been on this diet since last March and have now lost 80 lbs. I think what I learned from my first weight loss really helped me understand what to eat and not eat during this weightloss.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    In to watch this thread burn!

tumblr_mki3wrxiJT1qc3y4wo2_250.gif
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm happy you found what works for you. Don't let the low-carb criticizers get to you. They do this to everyone who eats low carb. Personally, I feel way better eating low carb and high fat. The weight and fat loss is an added bonus!

Nobody is arguing with her choice to eat low carb, but rather the statement she makes that defies science.

+1
  • necee99
    necee99 Posts: 52
    Options
    A calorie is a unit of energy, period. What your referring to is that different types of macro's have different metabolic pathways and influence our body composition differently.

Its called a play on words guys. I am not saying a calorie does not equal a calorie in reality. but if that is the case. a calorie is still not a calorie (disclaimer-word play) if it is consumed differently in some and not others. so if i eat 1200 calories worth of candy, I am going to be in trouble! VS. if i ate 1200 cal of broccoli,,,, OK!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    tl;dr.

This again? A calorie is a unit of measure. Smh.

so, ok....you found it too long and you didnt read it...so why bother commenting??...(just interested, you understand!!)

Because I find a giant wall of text difficult to read. And I commented because this is about the fifth thread I've seen with this title in 2014, and I'm not even on here that often! I could care less about how a person loses weight, low carb, high protein, or whatever. But to say a calorie ISN'T just a calorie is silly.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    A calorie is a unit of energy, period. What your referring to is that different types of macro's have different metabolic pathways and influence our body composition differently.

Its called a play on words guys. I am not saying a calorie does not equal a calorie in reality. but if that is the case. a calorie is still not a calorie (disclaimer-word play) if it is consumed differently in some and not others. so if i eat 1200 calories worth of candy, I am going to be in trouble! VS. if i ate 1200 cal of broccoli,,,, OK!
    Um... what? If you ate 1200 calories of candy or 1200 calories of broccoli, if it was a calorie deficit, you'd lose weight.
  • necee99
    Options
    Congratulations on doing what seems to be working for you. I've recently been doing something similar and am feeling better, less bloated and lost a little weight.
    I'm reading a book called 'Wheat Belly". You might be interested in it. It also talks a bit about diabetes and how wheat reacts to that situation.
    yes thanks. I know i am wheat sensitive, be it my doc told me, and be it if you have even an ounce of native American blood. So with that + diabetic = wheat/ carbs are the semi-enemy for me and weight lost.
  • chatogal
    Options
    tl;dr.

so, ok....you found it too long and you didnt read it...so why bother commenting??...(just interested, you understand!!)

Because I find a giant wall of text difficult to read. And I commented because this is about the fifth thread I've seen with this title in 2014, and I'm not even on here that often! I could care less about how a person loses weight, low carb, high protein, or whatever. But to say a calorie ISN'T just a calorie is silly.

noone is asking you to reply...so why bother??
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    special_snowflake_by_keiggy-d4x484i.png

not here to be mean, just REALLY like this image :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

Hello OP, with all due respect, I do not think you understand word play.

What you are referring to is "quality of calories," which is a fallacy. A calorie is a unit of energy. What you should be saying is a carb is not a protein, or something like that, since that seems to be the difference in your diet.

And if you ate 1200 calories of candy versus 1200 calories of broccoli, you would still be in a calorie deficit and still losing weight. I fail to see where you would be "in trouble."
  • necee99
    Options
    PS everyone... I was diagnosed with pre diabetes so I LOST 70 lbs two years ago to control it.. I followed the same lower carb I idea/ regimen as I am doing now. when I started eating a larger amount of carbs, I gained 28 of those lbs back. So the proof is in my putting.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    tl;dr.

noone is asking you to reply...so why bother??

I bolded the part where it says why I replied. That's why I bothered.
  • chatogal
    Options

Um... what? If you ate 1200 calories of candy or 1200 calories of broccoli, if it was a calorie deficit, you'd lose weight.

yup...but roughly 8 quality street choccies would meet your 1200 calorie limit (not sure about the broccoli...but the thought of only eating 8 quality street leaves me shuddering!!!....1200 calories of broccoli (alone!) probably leaves me farting!!!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    PS everyone... I was diagnosed with pre diabetes so I LOST 70 lbs two years ago to control it.. I followed the same lower carb I idea/ regimen as I am doing now. when I started eating a larger amount of carbs, I gained 28 of those lbs back. So the proof is in my putting.
    Do you read? No one is saying it's the low carb diet that is wrong.
    Re-read the thread and then comment.

But seriously, chocolate putting?
    :laugh:
  • necee99
    Options
    I exchanged them for more protein. I often eat over my calories now. and still losing weight great. But I eat what i want for only one meal. burgers, fries, whatever. then meat and veggies for all other meals.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Then when you started eating more carbs, you were exceeding your calorie burn with calorie intake. That's the only way you can gain weight.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Rather than telling people calories are not created equal, why don't you simply say that macronutrient composition can affect how your body performs and functions? I don't think rational minded people would disagree with the latter statement, but many people do take issue with saying calories aren't "equal." Put another way, you wouldn't necessarily contrast an overweight person with big thighs and an athlete with big thighs by saying "all inches are not created equal!" I get what you're saying, but I think it comes down to how you phrase it.