I am the woman in the freeweights section of the gym

Options

Replies

• thepinkleprechaun
    Options
    For those of you who do lift, do you go to the gym 3x a week or more than that?
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options

I go every other day.
    3 times a week is perfectly fine, and will get you great results if you follow a decent routine.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm usually the only one as well. Minus the gaggle of girls squatting 20 lbs on the smith machine.

Weight shaming? And how do you know that is only 20lbs?

I'm going to guess by looking at the weights, or lack there of? I don't now about you but when I see a five pound plate and a five pound plate, I'm generally about to add that up.

You forgot to consider the weight of the bar... Regardless of that, it seems to me that we shouldn't make remarks about how much or little a woman lifts, just like we shouldn't make remarks or judge her size or weight. Just saying...carry on.

I forgot what? 5+5=...not 20. So I must have been factoring in something else.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I lift 3x a week generally- Push/Pull/Legs (aka Bench Press/Deadlift/Squat), but I also do other workouts in between- I play soccer 1-2x a week, and swim and/or run and sometimes do yoga when I have extra days. I am active 5-6 days a week usually.

But you can get results with 3x a week for sure, and I would suggest 3x full body to start with, rather than a split.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    If you can walk with a couple bag of groceries you can do more than 20lbs on the smith machine. Just saiyan.
  • spider_mark51959
    spider_mark51959 Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. Thanks for the references if/when my wife decides to dive in.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Bean.

Bumping for my FL <3
  • suebae32
    Options
    Before my child and being anemic and having thyroid issues I was very athletic. I was a weight lifter in high school and became all american and I acomplished alot. When I joined the military and my workout consist of streching for a 1\2 hour and Id stay in the free weights. I prefer the free weights bc of my weight lifting experience. Its not for everone bc it requires knowlegde and to be alert. Ive seen ppl fall with a barbell around there necks, ppl drop a weight while doing a lateral press on there heads and pass out and Iv seen girl break her ankle atemping a leg press w/o realizing that the machine alone weighs alot w/o added weight. So hey, free weights looks cool in all but know what your doing to stay healthy and safe
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Great post.

But I have to admit. I'm sick of the bewbie pumping "I'm a girl who lifts" "I'm a woman in the weight room" cheer leading

I'm just so over it. I just get really annoyed- I'm not big on gender separation- we are all here to work. I tend to say- "there were only 3 of us last night at the gym"

not- there was only 1 girl and 2 guys at the gym last night.

it's just- I dunno- so forced. I got really annoyed- some guy at my new gym gave me a thumbs up at some point because apparently my workout impressed him.

I wanted to take my head phones out and say- while I appreciate the comment- do you really give EVERYONE in here a thumbs up who does a great work out? Or just good looking girls who are lifting more than you? I go to lift. I'm a person. period. what I do is not special. Just go in- do the work and stop thinking you're **** don't stink. You're like everyone else there lifting.

That being said- (and this was not a dig at the OP or anyone specific- just the general idea I guess) the original post IS excellent and is something that's been repeated over and over in countless threads.

Have a plan
    Go in
    Do the thing
    Lather Rinse Repeat.
  • fettgeist
    fettgeist Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying I'm hot or anything, but it's really unnerving when someone just stares at you constantly while you're trying to work out. It's happened a few times. I'm an introvert and I really dislike getting any attention directed towards me because it kind of makes me break focus.

So, all you have to do is go in looking like you just rolled out of bed; no make up, messy hair and wear baggy clothes. Tried and true method. They won't look at you then.

It also helps if you've just had an acne breakout ;)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Great post.

But I have to admit. I'm sick of the bewbie pumping "I'm a girl who lifts" "I'm a woman in the weight room" cheer leading

I'm just so over it. I just get really annoyed- I'm not big on gender separation- we are all here to work. I tend to say- "there were only 3 of us last night at the gym"

it's just- I dunno- so forced. I got really annoyed- some guy at my new gym gave me a thumbs up at some point because apparently my workout impressed him.

I wanted to take my head phones out and say- while I appreciate the comment- do you really give EVERYONE in here a thumbs up who does a great work out? Or just good looking girls who are lifting more than you? I go to lift. I'm a person. period. what I do is not special. Just go in- do the work and stop thinking you're **** don't stink. You're like everyone else there lifting.

That being said- (and this was not a dig at the OP or anyone specific- just the general idea I guess) the original post IS excellent and is something that's been repeated over and over in countless threads.

Have a plan
    Go in
    Do the thing
    Lather Rinse Repeat.

You know, for me, the gym has never been an issue. I've never experienced any type of separation. It appears you haven't either. And that's great. But our experience isn't everyone else's. Like it or not, it still happens, both real and percieved. I don't think it ever really occured to me how prevelent it was until I joined this forum (I am not just talking this forum, since becoming more aware of it, it is something that I tend to talk to more with other women as well to see how they feel). Look around MFP, there is at least one thread everyday where this issue is brought up (probably more, I'm being conservative). There is a need for this type of thread, whether you need it or not.

Its funny that you don't like the separation, however, you're first thought was the guy was giving you a thumbs up because you were a woman lifting more than him. Maybe he was giving you a thumbs up just because you lifting more than him?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Great post.

Have a plan
    Go in
    Do the thing
    Lather Rinse Repeat.

You know, for me, the gym has never been an issue. I've never experienced any type of separation. It appears you haven't either. And that's great. But our experience isn't everyone else's. Like it or not, it still happens, both real and percieved. I don't think it ever really occured to me how prevelent it was until I joined this forum (I am not just talking this forum, since becoming more aware of it, it is something that I tend to talk to more with other women as well to see how they feel). Look around MFP, there is at least one thread everyday where this issue is brought up (probably more, I'm being conservative). There is a need for this type of thread, whether you need it or not.

Its funny that you don't like the separation, however, you're first thought was the guy was giving you a thumbs up because you were a woman lifting more than him. Maybe he was giving you a thumbs up just because you lifting more than him?

truth.

all of what 3 dogs says is true.
    I can get your frustration, and think it's great that you have reached that place.
    But it's clear a lot of women are not as strong internally and need that extra encouragement to get out of their comfort zone.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Great post.

Have a plan
    Go in
    Do the thing
    Lather Rinse Repeat.

truth.

I can get your frustration, and think it's great that you have reached that place.
    But it's clear a lot of women are not as strong internally and need that extra encouragement to get out of their comfort zone.

Well, lately when I found myself in the machines section of my gym and missing the free weights like serious melancholy a man was being kind to me. I am not lifting heavier than ANYONE currently so I took his smile as kindness and welcoming. When I had a gym with free weights to go to a girl would constantly get in my way to do her stretches which I found more insulting as though even my standing directly in front of the weights I intended to use at my size was not a clear hint I meant to use them. I guess I take any positives I get from people positively. B/c there's so little of that around anymore lately.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying I'm hot or anything, but it's really unnerving when someone just stares at you constantly while you're trying to work out. It's happened a few times. I'm an introvert and I really dislike getting any attention directed towards me because it kind of makes me break focus.

So, all you have to do is go in looking like you just rolled out of bed; no make up, messy hair and wear baggy clothes. Tried and true method. They won't look at you then.

It also helps if you've just had an acne breakout ;)

what? no period stained workout wear? you're just pretending.
  • JoRocka
    Options

No- I understand the thread- anyone who has lifted long enough and talked to someone who hasn't or is afraid has said those words- I could have written this post- I'm sure I have- in one form or another buried in someone else's thread. I agree- it needed to be said. I just maybe it gets old hearing it constantly.

And I have had a thumbs up for a lift before- it's different. Someone did it to me Sunday- wasn't noticeable at all to me. To be fair-thumbs up guy: I had a pre-set annoyed button the Optimum guy really set my "female" button off the day before. So there was no winning I think. I've been lifting for years- I know what a good job nod/thumb is from someone who isn't impressed by a WOMAN lifting and a thumbs up/nod from someone who is impressed by a lift. I think there is a difference. It's not big- but I guess when you are around long enough you start to see it.
    truth.

I agree. And I"m not saying the thread is stupid- or it's bad. It's good. I dunno- I just we as PEOPLE were not so affected by other people- as pointed out- even men get intimidated. I have seen that- I talked a guy over to the weight side- he was like I dunno it's a little intimidating- I don't lift like I used to.
    I said who cares- you pay to use the gym- if you go in- don't be a d.ick. and do your lifts- re-rack your weights and share when needed- wipe down your sweaty bench no one is going to bother you.

If you pay to use the gym- go use it. Stop letting other people decide your work out for you. You are letting complete strangers who you aren't even interacting with- make a decision for you. And it's just illogical.

Go forth- use your gym- it's a room with equipment in it that you pay for- you have ever right to be there as long as you are mutually respectful.

Go forth
    Be fabulous.

that's all.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    crotch sweat ... it's almost as good!!!! Snicker.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    crotch sweat ... it's almost as good!!!! Snicker.

. . . must . . . resist . . . urge . . . to post . . . creepy . . . comment . . .

236701_v0_600x_zpsc65d2181.gif
  • thepinkleprechaun
    Options

I lift 3x a week generally- Push/Pull/Legs (aka Bench Press/Deadlift/Squat), but I also do other workouts in between- I play soccer 1-2x a week, and swim and/or run and sometimes do yoga when I have extra days. I am active 5-6 days a week usually.

But you can get results with 3x a week for sure, and I would suggest 3x full body to start with, rather than a split.

Thank you!
  • EditGirl77
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I get super intimidated in the free weights area. I'll work on that.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Before my child and being anemic and having thyroid issues I was very athletic. I was a weight lifter in high school and became all american and I acomplished alot. When I joined the military and my workout consist of streching for a 1\2 hour and Id stay in the free weights. I prefer the free weights bc of my weight lifting experience. Its not for everone bc it requires knowlegde and to be alert. Ive seen ppl fall with a barbell around there necks, ppl drop a weight while doing a lateral press on there heads and pass out and Iv seen girl break her ankle atemping a leg press w/o realizing that the machine alone weighs alot w/o added weight. So hey, free weights looks cool in all but know what your doing to stay healthy and safe

This is what I am more worried about. Hurting myself. I think anyone can do it as long know what they are doing though.

Thanks for this post. I will get there, one day.