All calories ARE NOT created equal !!!

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Have not read the responses as I am sure it will be pretty predicable. However, from the OP...
    <snip> Now that I have cut the carbs down to one carb- enriched meal per day, for the last week or so, the weight loss is more steady and consistent. <snip>

Was the fact that the OP had only dropped her carbs for a week raised? Dropping carbs = less water weight. One week is far too early for any change in diet to make such a sweeping 'conclusion'.

How can you even determine weight loss is more steady and consistent in a week?

Hehe, yeah, someone brought that up. In fact, I think all bases have been covered on this thread. The OP cannot be convinced though.
  • suburbanator
    suburbanator Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I'm reading a book called 'Wheat Belly". You might be interested in it. It also talks a bit about diabetes and how wheat reacts to that situation.

Good book...

Chad
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options

I'm reading a book called 'Wheat Belly". You might be interested in it. It also talks a bit about diabetes and how wheat reacts to that situation.

Good book...

Chad
    Except he said that replacing the carbs from wheat to other carb sources would not do any good.........sounds like he's trying to sell a low carb diet with a popular and current misinterpreted evil doer as his front man.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    See, this is the kind of stuff that confuses me. I was under the impression that it didn't really matter WHAT you ate, as long as you stayed in a deficit, you would lose weight? Then I see posts like this and it makes me think I'm doing something wrong. I have very little weight to lose in the first place and since it's coming off so slow (5lbs in 3 months) this post makes me think i'm doing something wrong

It depends. People who struggle with losing weight may have other issues. For example, I had trouble losing weight because my insulin was incredibly high, and for some *insert magic here* reasons I was "unable" to lose weight. I don't know - but the calorie thing now works for me as long as I don't eat many bad carbs because my body as a reflect produces a lot of insulin when I eat carbs. A calorie is a calorie, but there are other things that could interfere with burning such calories I guess!

what the heck is a bad carb? Are there foods I should be avoiding? I'm asking because I have been creating a deficit and working out and I am still not losing. I am constantly bloated and retaining water. It makes me think the food I'm eating is backfiring on me. I don't eat a lot of junk, but I don't eat clean either. Posts like this make me feel bad for eating fast food on occasion even though i'm still creating a deficit. ughhh. I log every single thing that goes in my mouth and a lot of times I try to OVERESTIMATE to give myself some leeway just in case I am wrong. I am in the green everyday and I am still either putting on water weight, or staying the same. I'm just so frustrated, I don't even know what to do anymore. It makes me want to give up but i know if I do that I won't get anywhere for sure:frown: :cry:

There's no such thing as a bad carb. Carbs can make you retain water, though. How many calories are you eating, and what are your workouts? How long have you not been losing? I noticed you don't have a lot of weight to lose.

When I mean bad carb I talk about those that are high on glucose, which at the same time is not good for weight loss purposes. Carbs are important in your diet if you are exercising. You should eat carbs but the "good" ones such as whole wheat, for example. That's what I mean with good - bad carbs. They all do the same thing, of course.
    There are no "bad" carbs.
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html

I've never really had a problem with the good carb / bad carb labels. But, sematics aside, some carbs are healthier (better nutrition package, less association with disease) than others.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    *sits down with Popcorn and M&M's and a diet coke to watch*

when will people learn??? seriously.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    See, this is the kind of stuff that confuses me. I was under the impression that it didn't really matter WHAT you ate, as long as you stayed in a deficit, you would lose weight? Then I see posts like this and it makes me think I'm doing something wrong. I have very little weight to lose in the first place and since it's coming off so slow (5lbs in 3 months) this post makes me think i'm doing something wrong

It depends. People who struggle with losing weight may have other issues. For example, I had trouble losing weight because my insulin was incredibly high, and for some *insert magic here* reasons I was "unable" to lose weight. I don't know - but the calorie thing now works for me as long as I don't eat many bad carbs because my body as a reflect produces a lot of insulin when I eat carbs. A calorie is a calorie, but there are other things that could interfere with burning such calories I guess!

what the heck is a bad carb? Are there foods I should be avoiding? I'm asking because I have been creating a deficit and working out and I am still not losing. I am constantly bloated and retaining water. It makes me think the food I'm eating is backfiring on me. I don't eat a lot of junk, but I don't eat clean either. Posts like this make me feel bad for eating fast food on occasion even though i'm still creating a deficit. ughhh. I log every single thing that goes in my mouth and a lot of times I try to OVERESTIMATE to give myself some leeway just in case I am wrong. I am in the green everyday and I am still either putting on water weight, or staying the same. I'm just so frustrated, I don't even know what to do anymore. It makes me want to give up but i know if I do that I won't get anywhere for sure:frown: :cry:

There's no such thing as a bad carb. Carbs can make you retain water, though. How many calories are you eating, and what are your workouts? How long have you not been losing? I noticed you don't have a lot of weight to lose.

When I mean bad carb I talk about those that are high on glucose, which at the same time is not good for weight loss purposes. Carbs are important in your diet if you are exercising. You should eat carbs but the "good" ones such as whole wheat, for example. That's what I mean with good - bad carbs. They all do the same thing, of course.

I've never really had a problem with the good carb / bad carb labels. But, sematics aside, some carbs are healthier (better nutrition package, less association with disease) than others.

True with any macro, not just carbs.......there's always a hierarchy in all food products regarding nutrition. Context and dosage and a diversity is key to any diet.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    tl;dr.

This again? A calorie is a unit of measure. Smh.

so, ok....you found it too long and you didnt read it...so why bother commenting??...(just interested, you understand!!)

Because I find a giant wall of text difficult to read. And I commented because this is about the fifth thread I've seen with this title in 2014, and I'm not even on here that often! I could care less about how a person loses weight, low carb, high protein, or whatever. But to say a calorie ISN'T just a calorie is silly.

noone is asking you to reply...so why bother??

I bolded the part where it says why I replied. That's why I bothered.

yes, I did see that bit...and to ge honest..if I felt as cross/frustrated as you OBVIOUSLY do....even more reason why I would have moved on without responding :-)

then thats what you would have done, not her so............
  • necee99
    necee99 Posts: 52
    Options
    I know people like to think that McDonald's calories are the same as whole foods calories, but I've also found that this isn't true. Everyone hates hearing it, but when I switched from strict calorie counting to eating whole foods with limited wheat and dairy the pounds finally started coming off. The belly is FINALLY getting flatter after years of trying different tactics! Honestly I may be an exception and have some sort of wheat, dairy, and additive sensitivities. I'm just saying if what you're doing isn't working, try something else!

I hated the paleo promoters for ever (was vegan for 3 years)! But after years of hearing about the success of people eating this way, I've given it a try and it's working for me. As much as I hated to admit it at first, eating (mostly) paleo has worked almost effortlessly. I don't even follow all the rules all the time! Just doing clean eating most of the time with very little wheat or dairy has my body changing shape. Don't knock it until you've tried it I suppose...

:laugh:

Not think, we know.

Because a calorie is a calorie.

Oh for crying out loud. You recently found what works for YOU (because you've obviously struggled) and therefore you KNOW all the answers? What? Since when? A year ago?

<----Actually, been a member since 2010, see?

And I do not claim to know all the answers, but I do know this: A calorie IS a calorie, regardless of what food it comes from.

Crud. I've been gaining and losing weight for almost 30 years. I'm sort of good at both. Listen. I'm not downing the calorie thing. I pretty much subscribe. But I'm not convinced that simple carbs don't cause inflammation. Is that fair? Science evolves...

Wow, this thread took an interesting turn after I left work yesterday.

In response to this, I agree that carbs cause water retention and some weight gain. However, that is not what the OP is saying. There's a difference between saying "Low carb works for me" and "I can eat whatever I want as long as it's not carbs, and I don't have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight."

No one is debating the fact that eating a diet of all carbs will have different results than a diet of all protein (or at least they shouldn't be debating it). The main sticking point with this thread is that the OP thinks calories don't matter as long as you limit the carbs.

ok, to all of you debaters, I am not saying calories don't matter, everyone knows a calorie is a calorie. come on. It was a play on my own words. Calories do matter. gosh. but MY body does not respond well to in-taking half of my calories in carbs vs. protein. Really, come on, this was not to be taken Literally. I know what works for me 1200 cals of lower carb options Vs. 1200 cal of high carb. My goodness. 10+ pages wow, seems like some live to argue. ok it's ok. all of you are apparently right, in your own way. have a nice rest of your life losing weight :flowerforyou:
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I know people like to think that McDonald's calories are the same as whole foods calories, but I've also found that this isn't true. Everyone hates hearing it, but when I switched from strict calorie counting to eating whole foods with limited wheat and dairy the pounds finally started coming off. The belly is FINALLY getting flatter after years of trying different tactics! Honestly I may be an exception and have some sort of wheat, dairy, and additive sensitivities. I'm just saying if what you're doing isn't working, try something else!

I hated the paleo promoters for ever (was vegan for 3 years)! But after years of hearing about the success of people eating this way, I've given it a try and it's working for me. As much as I hated to admit it at first, eating (mostly) paleo has worked almost effortlessly. I don't even follow all the rules all the time! Just doing clean eating most of the time with very little wheat or dairy has my body changing shape. Don't knock it until you've tried it I suppose...

Not think, we know.

Try eating all the calories you want as fiber and see how long you can live on that. A calorie is a calorie is a myth that needs to be weeded out. The different macro's doesn't make your body react the same.

Eating tons of fructose causes leptin resistance (the body's signal to the brain saying we got plenty of fat in store). So instead of burning the carb intake, it stores it, cause it thinks the fat stores are empty/low.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18703413

Tell me how a study where they feed rodents a diet with SIXTY PERCENT of calories coming from sugar is relevant to this discussion in any way, shape, or form.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

It shows that a calorie is not a calorie. Isn't that very obvious?

so... if a calorie is not a calorie....im confused now becasue I thought I was eating calories this whole time at a deficit to lose these 46lbs I lost last year. ????? So what is a calorie then?? can somebody answer this please and let me know what calorie I should be eating?
  • neanderthin
    Options

Not think, we know.

Oh for crying out loud. You recently found what works for YOU (because you've obviously struggled) and therefore you KNOW all the answers? What? Since when? A year ago?

<----Actually, been a member since 2010, see?

And I do not claim to know all the answers, but I do know this: A calorie IS a calorie, regardless of what food it comes from.

Crud. I've been gaining and losing weight for almost 30 years. I'm sort of good at both. Listen. I'm not downing the calorie thing. I pretty much subscribe. But I'm not convinced that simple carbs don't cause inflammation. Is that fair? Science evolves...

Wow, this thread took an interesting turn after I left work yesterday.

In response to this, I agree that carbs cause water retention and some weight gain. However, that is not what the OP is saying. There's a difference between saying "Low carb works for me" and "I can eat whatever I want as long as it's not carbs, and I don't have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight."

No one is debating the fact that eating a diet of all carbs will have different results than a diet of all protein (or at least they shouldn't be debating it). The main sticking point with this thread is that the OP thinks calories don't matter as long as you limit the carbs.

ok, to all of you debaters, I am not saying calories don't matter, everyone knows a calorie is a calorie. come on. It was a play on my own words. Calories do matter. gosh. but MY body does not respond well to in-taking half of my calories in carbs vs. protein. Really, come on, this was not to be taken Literally. I know what works for me 1200 cals of lower carb options Vs. 1200 cal of high carb. My goodness. 10+ pages wow, seems like some live to argue. ok it's ok. all of you are apparently right, in your own way. have a nice rest of your life losing weight :flowerforyou:
    We get it, but we like to argue,k.:happy:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

True with any macro, not just carbs.......there's always a hierarchy in all food products regarding nutrition. Context and dosage and a diversity is key to any diet.

Yes, quite true. Balance.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Yes, quite true. Balance.
    Why people find this elusive is mind blowing.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Because people come on forums like this and start spouting off nonsense.
  • necee99
    Options

See, that's where I was at!!!! I have 10 more lbs to go til i hit my goal weight. There is a such thing as a bad carb. I try to limit those and fast foods to one meal per day. then for the other meals I eat Lower, notice I said LOWER carb. I have not gone fully low carb, but I recognize my body not losing(i even used tape measure, not just scale) and not changing when I ate under my goal, workout, and eat more carbs. I am not an advocate for low carb. but U have to KNOW your own body. Figure out what your body processes well. FOR ME, I can eat under calories and be more satisfied with more protein, than more carbs and still lose weight. like some of the users before mentioned, macros.... how your body processes the things you eat.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    See, that's where I was at!!!! I have 10 more lbs to go til i hit my goal weight. There is a such thing as a bad carb. I try to limit those and fast foods to one meal per day. then for the other meals I eat Lower, notice I said LOWER carb. I have not gone fully low carb, but I recognize my body not losing(i even used tape measure, not just scale) and not changing when I ate under my goal, workout, and eat more carbs. I am not an advocate for low carb. but U have to KNOW your own body. Figure out what your body processes well. FOR ME, I can eat under calories and be more satisfied with more protein, than more carbs and still lose weight. like some of the users before mentioned, macros.... how your body processes the things you eat.

Open your diary and point out these periods where you didn't lose weight even with a calorie deficit.

My diary is open. Why isn't yours?
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Thats funny.. I've lost weight and maintained eating whatever I wanted with my specific calorie goal. I try to keep calories between 1100-1400 a day and I workout along with that. I lost 100 lbs in 14 months and then gained 10 back and struggled for a few months and now I'm at 98.2 lbs lost again (started my weight loss in March 2012, got down 100 lbs by may 23 2013, and as of today am back to 98.2 lbs lost..). Open diary to friends only, but a lot of times my breakfast is anything from fruit loops, jolly ranchers, of vanilla frosting... I eat a lot of sweets and hardly any fruits/vegetables. My blood pressure, glucose, cholesterol are normal.. measurements are 32x26.5x32 and I'm 5'4" 136 lbs.
    So i'd have to say that all calories are equal just in my almost last 2 years of experience being on MFP.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Actually that's exactly what you said knowing full well that people who know better would debate it.

Then that brings in others who agree with your "statement" to back you up and then the debate continues.

If you didn't want this you would have titled this thread "What worked for me" or "How I feel about carbs because of my issues"

There is no "sarcasm" font or "Please don't take this literally font" so you have to mean what you say and say what you mean otherwise people see what you type and take it that's what you meant.

btw my brother is a diabetic and has been for over 40 years and he eats his good amount of carbs and protien etc and guess what he's not fat...never has been so being a diabetic and not being able to eat carbs are not exclusive to each other...

Over eating carbs causes weight gain not carbs in diabetics.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. Why isn't yours?

Probably because you are so superior to her in every possible way. Why else?

was JUST about to jump in with a "how rude of you comment"...when I suddenly thought a bit of irony might be rearing it's head!!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I love these threads... especially when we talk about 1200 calories of cookies and ice cream (delicious) vs broccoli (smelly), because everyone eats like that. I would suggest instead of putting blinders on and trying to correlate a portion of the diet to a cause of weight gain or causing a plateau, that we actually take a holistic view towards nutrition. How long have you tried a method? Is a food scale used? How are your calculating your total calorie need as well as your TDEE? And how do medical conditions effect your outcomes. It's well known that many diabetics have to watch carbs, as do women with PCOS (with insulin resistance) but because 10% of this community has medical issues (to include my wife who has Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome which comes with a gluten intolerance) does NOT mean you can apply that to a community at large. For 90% of us, macronutrient management is for performance and composition. Outside of that, we all follow the law of thermodynamics. The biggest issue is understanding where the starting point is (BMR) and maintenance calories are (TDEE); this is where it takes time (many months) of data to conclude.
  • necee99
    Options
    Calories in VS. Calories out is not TRUE! :noway: I was staying under calories (strictly) & working out hard (whats considered hard for me. lol.), but eating whatever I wanted. That didn't work. I was losing really slowly and weight would fluctuate like crazy. ie, gain few lbs, lose them back, then lose half a lb from where i started. It was crazy. I was also crazy hungry all the time. :explode: Ok, cut down a little on the carbs, now I am back on track. :drinker: I am not even working out as hard and still losing more weight :laugh: . Now that I have cut the carbs down to one carb- enriched meal per day, for the last week or so, the weight loss is more steady and consistent. Everyone's body is different. Some people do well eating lots of carbs, and still lose, as long as they stay under their calories. Not me! Some have Weight/ Bloating issues eating a lot of meat, protein, or consuming a lot of sodium.
    Considering I am a controlled diabetic (I don't take meds b/c my blood sugar is regulated now that I have lost weight.) my body still does not like a lot of carbohydrates (sugar). It does not process and break them down well. Carbs turn straight to stored fat in our bodies. Our bodies burn a protein for fuel before it will chooses a carb for fuel. It will just store the carb as fat. Now I am consuming more protein. I am not on any low carb plan, I am just eating what for one meal per day, then the other meals are mainly, meat & low carb veggies.
    So find out what your body's glitch is. If you are struggling with the scale and you seem to be doing everything right, do a process of elimination to your diet. Not cutting things out, but decreasing your consumption of that particular culprit, whether it be protein (meat), carbs (bread, pasta, rice, wheat, potatoes, corn, sweets, sugar, milk, peas), gassy veggies, etc.

A few things... You have no open diary, and if I'm willing to bet... its because you don't track accurately. Beyond that, I'm fairly certain the reason you're now seeing weightloss is because you created a larger deficit via the eliminations of carbs and not replacing those calories under other macros.

ding ding ding...we have a winner...

I would also add that since OP is diabetic he/she obviously has a medical condition that would make them sensitive carbs; hence, cutting back on carbs would make sense...

but at the end of the day, a calorie is a unit of energy.

Yes, that was the purpose of the subject. Not necessarily that a calorie is not a calorie. just that i don't process and burn calories the same as the next man would. My calories look different than your calories b/c of the way my body produces insulin, which by the way if an insulin sensitive person eats too much carb/sugar/glucose, their body will secret more insulin, which encourages fat storage!!!