Planet Fitness removing squat racks? Aroo?

Options

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I'm just messing with you. flowerforyou I understand what "some" of you are saying, but I also think you get out of it what you put into it. I personally know a guy who works out at PF, and I don't think anyone here would look at him and say "he must work out at PF". He's extremely fit, and was a pretty big contributor to the MFP forums when he was a member. I can only imagine what he would have to say here!

I agree.

It doesn't matter what gym you go to or whether or not it has a squat rack, a separate weight room etc. it's the effort you put into the workout. A person can go to Golds gym, 24 Hour Fitness, the YMCA and if they're not putting in the effort and they're not practicing table push-backs then they're not going to see results. Yes, there are out of shape people that go to PF but there's also out of shape people who go to other gyms as well. Sure there are people who meander on the cardio equipment and do half-assed weight lifting but again, you will see them at other gyms too.

I work out hard. I go to PF. I watch what I eat and count my calories. If I get fat it's my fault, not the gyms.

ETA: I don't care who PF "caters" to or what their marketing plan is. If you can not get the point and just want to argue then I give up.

YES!!!

thumbsup_zps8925346d.gif
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't expect anything less that serves pizza to their members and hands out tootsie rolls. But then again that is smart marketing for them to keep people signed up.

I don't understand this. Are all the people who harp on this point non-pizza and tootsie roll eaters? I didn't see them chasing anyone down to shove a tootsie roll down their throat. I have no idea when pizza day is, but if I'm hungry, and it's there when I'm done with my workout, chances are pretty high I'll have room for a slice of pizza in my diary, and I'll take one. I have no shame. :tongue:

No doubt. I'm not a big fan of Tootsie Rolls. (chocolate-wanna-be-MFers) But pizza is a staple and generally very nutrient dense.

something tells me the average PF goer is not going to burn enough calories with the kinds of work outs they are promoting to justify a couple slices of pizza after said workout...

Justify?? JUSTIFY???

You don't *justify* eating a couple of slices of pizza...

...you eat a couple of slices of pizza because it's delicious.

indeed.

I have a weekly pizza and have no guilt.

I think the issue is they are pushing a gym and that they are average and they are dealing with your average client who can't lose weight and has a hard time with gyms and anything SUPER DUPER FITNESSEY and they are throwing stuff in their face on a regular bases. Anyone who has any self control and hasn't met their goals will walk by- but a great deal of the people aren't that in that category- I just think it speaks more to the gym's "methods/marketing" and what they are built on that the actual pizza itself.

my point is that most PF goers have probably not mastered the art of self control that most long term MFP users have...and two, have no idea how many calories in said slice of pizza vs how many calories they just burned off..

I've never thought of self-control as an art form. hmm.... I should try that line with my "moody/Goth/artsy/fartsy" teenager who can't remember to do her chores without being told 100 times. :laugh: :wink:

But honestly, isn't that their own problem? Don't tell me you go into "sabotage" threads and help the OP make excuses. :devil:

I never said it was not their own problem....just seems strange that a fitness oriented place would throw that out there to let people sabotage their exercise....but hey, it does not bother me one way or the other.. I am just throwing it out there...
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    The squat racks are still at my PF.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I don't see why this is a problem to so many. Planet fitness is a business and the cater to the people that want cater to. If you don't like what they are selling, take your money and go somewhere else. They don't want people like myself that like to pick up heavy shi"t and put it back down. Fine with me. They have a market they want and that is fine. Don't get butt hurt cause they want to do things most would find different in a gym. Either take your money and join another place or shut up and deal with it.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    All that said I would never join a PF.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't expect anything less that serves pizza to their members and hands out tootsie rolls. But then again that is smart marketing for them to keep people signed up.

I don't understand this. Are all the people who harp on this point non-pizza and tootsie roll eaters? I didn't see them chasing anyone down to shove a tootsie roll down their throat. I have no idea when pizza day is, but if I'm hungry, and it's there when I'm done with my workout, chances are pretty high I'll have room for a slice of pizza in my diary, and I'll take one. I have no shame. :tongue:

No doubt. I'm not a big fan of Tootsie Rolls. (chocolate-wanna-be-MFers) But pizza is a staple and generally very nutrient dense.

something tells me the average PF goer is not going to burn enough calories with the kinds of work outs they are promoting to justify a couple slices of pizza after said workout...

Justify?? JUSTIFY???

indeed.

I think the issue is they are pushing a gym and that they are average and they are dealing with your average client who can't lose weight and has a hard time with gyms and anything SUPER DUPER FITNESSEY and they are throwing stuff in their face on a regular bases. Anyone who has any self control and hasn't met their goals will walk by- but a great deal of the people aren't that in that category- I just think it speaks more to the gym's "methods/marketing" and what they are built on that the actual pizza itself.

my point is that most PF goers have probably not mastered the art of self control that most long term MFP users have...and two, have no idea how many calories in said slice of pizza vs how many calories they just burned off..

I've never thought of self-control as an art form. hmm.... I should try that line with my "moody/Goth/artsy/fartsy" teenager who can't remember to do her chores without being told 100 times. :laugh: :wink:

But honestly, isn't that their own problem? Don't tell me you go into "sabotage" threads and help the OP make excuses. :devil:

I never said it was not their own problem....just seems strange that a fitness oriented place would throw that out there to let people sabotage their exercise....but hey, it does not bother me one way or the other.. I am just throwing it out there...

I understand what you're saying. It is a little odd for a health facility to offer foods that are perceived as bad for you, but it's sure getting people to talk about them. I think if I belonged there pre-mfp, I'd probably be too ashamed to even take a slice.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    How insane.

The only reason I joined the gym was to use the squat rack!
  • alienaliens
    alienaliens Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you're SERIOUS about your training don't go to this "gym"

I'll tell all the really jacked guys in the weight room you said that. :wink:

This thread is a perfect example of why they market themselves the way they do. Personally, I am glad all the "serious" folks are somewhere else. :o)

Thats probably why they operate their business different. Its like CURVES, totally different, I'm positive no woman who loves squat racks and heavy lifting will join CURVES. I'm just an ordinary Joe and I fit right in with PF, with the other ordinary Joes. However I would NOT be intimidated in a gym like the ones where people grunt and lift stadium benches!. Everybody should be comfy regardless and not be intimidated if they would concentrate on what they are there to do.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Dear Planet Fitness,

I can't run. I just can't! It makes me so uncomfortable when people run on the tradmills next to me while I am walking. Can you please do somehting about all this lunking?

Signed,

An unhappy member

Attention: The treadmills in all Planet Fitness Gyms will now no longer exceed 3.5 mph. Thank you. Enjoy the pizza.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I don't see why this is a problem to so many. Planet fitness is a business and the cater to the people that want cater to. If you don't like what they are selling, take your money and go somewhere else. They don't want people like myself that like to pick up heavy shi"t and put it back down. Fine with me. They have a market they want and that is fine. Don't get butt hurt cause they want to do things most would find different in a gym. Either take your money and join another place or shut up and deal with it.

Except that just like we have a choice of where we do business, we also have a choice to have a discussion about that choice in an online forum such as this one.
  • 13ftw67
    13ftw67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    They must have silent $ex at home too. LUNK LUNK LUNK it up...... LOL what a double standard it's average Joe's gym from dodge ball. Now get in there real deep like. UGHHH HUH
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Either take your money and join another place or shut up and deal with it.

Are those my only options?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Except that just like we have a choice of where we do business, we also have a choice to have a discussion about that choice in an online forum such as this one.

you there- get out of here- we don't allow such logical things here on the interwebz
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I like Planet Fitness. It helped me go from a 41" waist to a 32" waist. I don't hate anyone there. They are generally pleasant to me.
    My PF has Squat Racks. I don't have anything bad to say.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    The bro's and bro'ettes were angry that day...like and old man trying to take soup back at a deli! :mad:

I kid, of course...

I'm out, good luck all!

:flowerforyou:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I like Planet Fitness. It helped me go from a 41" waist to a 32" waist. I don't hate anyone there. They are generally pleasant to me.
    My PF has Squat Racks. I don't have anything bad to say.

you might want to take a picture of those racks so you have something to show the police when you file your Missing Racks report next month. or better yet, chain those racks to the floor and keep the key on your person
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Justify?? JUSTIFY???

indeed.

Ok, just checking. :bigsmile:

I'm just a Live and Let Live kinda person. As long as people are not initiating force against others, IDGAF. I do like to tease my brother about his PF membership....because he doesn't even lift. :laugh:

(And he *does* go on pizza night, but he plans around it, and the pizza is his dinner for that evening.) He's a "cardio bunny" and travels a lot for his job, so a chain place is good for him in general. He has lost more weight than me by about 20 pounds. (eats about 200 calories less per day than me) But he has it in his head that he needs to be at goal weight before he starts lifting, and since I'm a "know-it-all" he won't listen when I tell him about heavy lifting. *shrugs* :ohwell:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    http://theantijared.com/2014/01/planet-fitness-judges-think.html
    Planet Fitness Judges More Than You Think

Planet Fitness is one of the largest gyms in the United States. They have developed a way where you can join their gym at a very low price. They claim to fight for the ordinary gym goer and have set up rules at their gym so that they can be considered “Judgment Free”.

What I have learned is that they have judged me more than any other gym I have belonged to…

It was 2008. I was over 400 pounds and finally decided to change my life and lose weight. I started to eat a lot better and quickly lost 50 pounds.

I knew I needed to get more active as well. I decided to join a gym. I looked at different places but I really liked the concept of Planet Fitness. They claimed to be judgment free. I did not want to feel uncomfortable at the gym.

So I walked in and the first thing I heard was…

“Hey man…you can not wear that skullcap here.”

That was what the manager said. I was wearing my 5XL Reebok hoodie and shorts. I had untied Adidas shoes because I still could not bend down to tie them.

I also had an Under Armour skullcap on. I bought it because I could not fit into any other Under Armour clothing. I wanted to wear it because it made me feel like I belonged at a gym. It was the coolest thing in the world. It symbolized strength to me. I was strong enough to lose 50 pounds.

The manager pointed at the rules on the wall. You cannot grunt or use a cell phone or make other members feel uncomfortable. I looked and it did indeed say no skullcaps or bandanas. I guess I was a part of a gang and everyone who wears one is part of a tough mean part of society.

It was part of their “Judgment Free” zone….

So where was the “Judgment Free” when the manager rolled his eyes at me when I first joined the gym? A 370-pound guy (after losing 50 pounds) who could not tie his shoes. A guy who wanted to ask questions about the equipment, but after seeing the eye rolling realized he did not belong. It did not matter to me. I knew I needed to workout. I knew I needed to be active. Judging me has been a part of my life.

Where was the “Judgment Free” zone when the two girls laughed at me when I could not fit on the bench press? Maybe they were not laughing at me. You know, because so many 370-pound (after losing 50 pounds) guys struggle to get on a piece of equipment. When I could not get my balance. Judging me has been a part of my life.

Where was the “Judgment Free” zone when I went on the treadmill for 48 seconds? When I saw the guy next to me mouth to his friend “Is that it”? Maybe they were talking about something else. Maybe I was too sensitive in a sensitive world. Or maybe I have heard these comments for over thirty years. I was the largest man in that gym. I was the largest person at Weight Watchers meetings. I was the largest person everywhere I went.

Where was the “Judgment Free” zone when I left the gym for the first time in tears? Hating my workout. Thinking that no one was there to help me. Not wanting to go back.

Judging me has been a part of my life. At that moment I was not concerned about a “Judgment Free” gym that had rules set up to judge others. I was more concerned about judging myself.

The rules at the gym do not prevent judging people. The members and staff do. All bodybuilders do not grunt and yell and hate obese people. All fitness models are not nasty sassy people. Honestly, all people who wear bandanas are not part of a vicious gang or just came out of jail…

And one 370-pound man who wanted to wear a skullcap lost over 225 pound.

I quit Planet Fitness the next day. I went to another gym that was more expensive and asked one question…

“Can I wear a skullcap here?”

My reply was…

“Why would we care?”

I have worn a skullcap everyday since 2008 when I workout. I use my cell phone at the gym and I have yelled when I met some fitness goals.

I also try to make people feel comfortable and welcome at the gym. I also share my story and hopefully have helped people want to go to the gym.

When I was over 400 pounds many people judged me. I was fat, lazy and stupid in their eyes…

I do not need for them to see me now. I am proud that I can look in the mirror and judge myself.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

Planet Fitness is one of the largest gyms in the United States. They have developed a way where you can join their gym at a very low price. They claim to fight for the ordinary gym goer and have set up rules at their gym so that they can be considered “Judgment Free”.

What I have learned is that they have judged me more than any other gym I have belonged to…

It was 2008. I was over 400 pounds and finally decided to change my life and lose weight. I started to eat a lot better and quickly lost 50 pounds.

I knew I needed to get more active as well. I decided to join a gym. I looked at different places but I really liked the concept of Planet Fitness. They claimed to be judgment free. I did not want to feel uncomfortable at the gym.

That was what the manager said. I was wearing my 5XL Reebok hoodie and shorts. I had untied Adidas shoes because I still could not bend down to tie them.

I also had an Under Armour skullcap on. I bought it because I could not fit into any other Under Armour clothing. I wanted to wear it because it made me feel like I belonged at a gym. It was the coolest thing in the world. It symbolized strength to me. I was strong enough to lose 50 pounds.

The manager pointed at the rules on the wall. You cannot grunt or use a cell phone or make other members feel uncomfortable. I looked and it did indeed say no skullcaps or bandanas. I guess I was a part of a gang and everyone who wears one is part of a tough mean part of society.

So where was the “Judgment Free” when the manager rolled his eyes at me when I first joined the gym? A 370-pound guy (after losing 50 pounds) who could not tie his shoes. A guy who wanted to ask questions about the equipment, but after seeing the eye rolling realized he did not belong. It did not matter to me. I knew I needed to workout. I knew I needed to be active. Judging me has been a part of my life.

Where was the “Judgment Free” zone when the two girls laughed at me when I could not fit on the bench press? Maybe they were not laughing at me. You know, because so many 370-pound (after losing 50 pounds) guys struggle to get on a piece of equipment. When I could not get my balance. Judging me has been a part of my life.

Where was the “Judgment Free” zone when I went on the treadmill for 48 seconds? When I saw the guy next to me mouth to his friend “Is that it”? Maybe they were talking about something else. Maybe I was too sensitive in a sensitive world. Or maybe I have heard these comments for over thirty years. I was the largest man in that gym. I was the largest person at Weight Watchers meetings. I was the largest person everywhere I went.

Where was the “Judgment Free” zone when I left the gym for the first time in tears? Hating my workout. Thinking that no one was there to help me. Not wanting to go back.

Judging me has been a part of my life. At that moment I was not concerned about a “Judgment Free” gym that had rules set up to judge others. I was more concerned about judging myself.

The rules at the gym do not prevent judging people. The members and staff do. All bodybuilders do not grunt and yell and hate obese people. All fitness models are not nasty sassy people. Honestly, all people who wear bandanas are not part of a vicious gang or just came out of jail…

I quit Planet Fitness the next day. I went to another gym that was more expensive and asked one question…

My reply was…

“Why would we care?”

I have worn a skullcap everyday since 2008 when I workout. I use my cell phone at the gym and I have yelled when I met some fitness goals.

I also try to make people feel comfortable and welcome at the gym. I also share my story and hopefully have helped people want to go to the gym.

When I was over 400 pounds many people judged me. I was fat, lazy and stupid in their eyes…

I do not need for them to see me now. I am proud that I can look in the mirror and judge myself.

BOOM!
    /thread
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

My reply was…

“Why would we care?”

:heart: