Texting in Movie Theater

Options

Replies

• KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Shooting people aside.... I don't feel the least bit bad throwing popcorn at people who are texting in movies. Rude.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I yelled at my daughter, told her stop its rude. She once did it a Broadway play!
  • _cdngirl71_
    _cdngirl71_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people are using their phone for anything during a movie especially if the person is beside me. So annoying and rude for those around you. I have asked someone to put there phone away. I asked politely and they did. You can go without your phone for a couple of hours. I have taken my niece's phone away from her before due to texting in the theatre and she's 19! Ha ha!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Quick question: What is more disturbing, someone who gets up in the middle of a movie or someone who takes a quick glance at their phone?

One you have complete control over... the other not as much usually.
  • kdb247
    kdb247 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    As long as I am not making any noise and my device is not lighting up the whole theater because it's on high beam; I do not deserve to be shot at. No one deserves a death sentence for it. End of story.

If I need to talk and carry on a conversation, then I will go outside otherwise I will utilize my device as I see fit anywhere. Not using your device in a theater is all about courtesy only. Until its against the law... shoot at me if you want to...:smokin:
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I yelled at my daughter, told her stop its rude. She once did it a Broadway play!

Yelling during a Broadway play is LESS disruptive to other patrons?
  • esquire9
    esquire9 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Wow ! I am taken back by a lot of responses here, if the phone is on silent and it is dimmed , why would you be so bothered ? personally I turn off my phone in the movie theater ( or at least put it on mute) . but we all need to be a little more tolerant, Am I irritated when someone is chomping loudly on popcorn beside me ? you bet I am but I either move to another seat or ignore it. what if someone sits next to you and stinks horribly ? you move away !! what if they have excessive perfume on ? what if I find every scene funny and laugh out loud at what most people don't find funny ? will you be irritated ? sure you will . Do you have the right to tell me to shut up or get out ? Hell no ! I also paid for the movie and it is a common space.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    If the rule at the movie theater is turn off your phone, then if you want to see a movie there, you need to obey the rules. Plain and simple. Management has a right to kick you out if you don't.

Someone else was wondering why so many people feel the rules don't apply to them. I'm wondering the same thing.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not one that is attached to my phone. So, it bugs me to see others using their phone or texting at inappropriate times. To the point I would use aggressive force or even shoot someone for it? No.

Yeah, but you're also probably not a cop.

Guy got shot for contempt of cop.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    As long as I am not making any noise and my device is not lighting up the whole theater because it's on high beam; I do not deserve to be shot at. No one deserves a death sentence for it. End of story.

If I need to talk and carry on a conversation, then I will go outside otherwise I will utilize my device as I see fit anywhere. Not using your device in a theater is all about courtesy only. Until its against the law... shoot at me if you want to...:smokin:

According to most theater rules though, you can't use your device as you see fit anywhere, so not just about courtesy. You shouldn't get shot at, but might be asked to leave.
  • esquire9
    Options
    Really ? okay I get it now . because it is against the rule . So if I stink so bad and I eat my popcorn as loud as humanly possible while sitting beside you , you will have no problem with that since it is not against the rule ?
  • dayone987
    Options
    Wow ! I am taken back by a lot of responses here, if the phone is on silent and it is dimmed , why would you be so bothered ? personally I turn off my phone in the movie theater ( or at least put it on mute) . but we all need to be a little more tolerant, Am I irritated when someone is chomping loudly on popcorn beside me ? you bet I am but I either move to another seat or ignore it. what if someone sits next to you and stinks horribly ? you move away !! what if they have excessive perfume on ? what if I find every scene funny and laugh out loud at what most people don't find funny ? will you be irritated ? sure you will . Do you have the right to tell me to shut up or get out ? Hell no ! I also paid for the movie and it is a common space.

There are rules about cell phones etc. Not about eating popcorn or laughing though. I don't know if you can really consider it common space as it typically is owned privately by people who can set certain rules like no cell phone use.
  • dayone987
    Options
    Really ? okay I get it now . because it is against the rule . So if I stink so bad and I eat my popcorn as loud as humanly possible while sitting beside you , you will have no problem with that since it is not against the rule ?

I might have a problem with it, but then that's my problem and I can choose to find another seat or leave.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

I will still think you're a jerk. I just can't have you thrown out for it.
  • esquire9
    Options
    Exactly , I am not condoning the behavior I am just advocating we all need to be a little more tolerant.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I do have the right to go out and ask management to ask you to stop texting. Given that they specifically ask that you NOT do it.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Exactly , I am not condoning the behavior I am just advocating we all need to be a little more tolerant.

Most people are tolerant for the checking of a device as long as the brightness is dimmed and performed in a manner that is the least amount of distraction... what most are saying is that what will not be tolerated is engagement of texting, talking, tweeting, ect.
  • CharlieB145
    Options
    I'm pretty attached to my phone. And I've texted in a movie theater. I'm not sure how it could bother someone so much if you aren't making noise, and the screen is dim. And during the previews this happened? Damn. Florida is scary. He'll probably get off, especially since he's a former cop.

Staying the hell away from Florida I maybe gunned down because I smile too much. I have got some texts in during a movie and I am alive to tell the story, this cop was irritated from the beginning with his own issues.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Has a strong suspicion that many of you think it's ok to bring small screaming children to fine dining/black linen resterants as well... Death of common curtsey to your neighbors and fellow patrons.

Hint: if a nice resterant doesn't own high chairs your very small child is likely only begrudgly welcomed at the establishment.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    This is less of a gun or cell phone issue, than it is about ego and self righteousness. To bad basic manners weren't exercised on both sides, there were several opportunities to disengage for a different outcome. Both sides lose, with one side bearing the ultimate cost.

This thread is so ironic, condoning wrong behavior with wrong behavior, asking for common courtesy without giving it in the reply .... I think I know why, probably because they are they ones that are "right".

Where is our collective tolerance and where is our common courtesy?