What is "too skinny" for you?

Options
I didn't really know where to put this question, anyways.

I know BMI's and charts , I am asking about the look. At what point, a person looks unattractively thin to you? Could you give examples from people I might find by google(celebrities?)

Thank you.

Replies

• sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Totally subjective. Too many variables

Check out http://www.mybodygallery.com and see what you think from there
  • franzhaydn
    Options
    To me, it's not the number, but people without muscle tone. I don't think the skinny look works for people without muscle.
  • Remedy026
    Options
    Probably when bones begin protruding out a lot more than what would be considered natural for that body type. It's not only unappealing to the eye, but it's unhealthy and can be very dangerous.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    This isn't going to go well.

On myself personally, I like 20-22% BF.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks. Everyone will have a different answer.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Thin and well toned is fantastic, but the most beautiful woman I've ever seen is Marilyn Monroe and she was far from skinny.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    If I weigh less than 125 lbs, I look like a well groomed meth head with inexplicably good teeth. That's too skinny.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Thin and well toned is fantastic, but the most beautiful woman I've ever seen is Marilyn Monroe and she was far from skinny.

I wouldn't really say she was far from skinny-- she was extremely curvy but she was also very slim for much of her life. I saw her measurements posted once and I wanna say her waist was something like 23" Mine is 25" and I'm a size 2-4.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    OP I don't think asking people to post pics of celebrities they think are too skinny is a good idea. That's certain to end badly, with people calling other women gross and such.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Below-average muscle mass. Just my opinion.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    What's your reason for asking?

I would say if they look unhealthy or if the thinness looks unnatural for their bone structure, or they have wasted muscles. So, it isn't a specific weight, BMI, or measurements.

As someone pointed out, people think Marilyn Monroe was far from skinny when actually she had a 22 inch waist and wore what is today a size 0.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    For myself? I don't know. I've never been there as an adult. I'd imagine it'd be somewhere in the 130s (I'm 160 now).

For others? It depends greatly. I'm more attracted to overweight males than underweight. I prefer muscled and a body fat around 12% for men.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    when they start to look like they haven't been able to afford proper nutrition for a long time.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    frame size varies, so the weight at which someone looks "too skinny" is going to vary from person to person.

I agree with the above comments re wasted muscles and looking skeletal (some bones can stick out when the person''s totally healthy depending on their bone structure and frame size, but looking like a walking skeleton isn't healthy for anyone)
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    How old are you?
    Is this a school assignment?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

I wouldn't really say she was far from skinny-- she was extremely curvy but she was also very slim for much of her life. I saw her measurements posted once and I wanna say her waist was something like 23" Mine is 25" and I'm a size 2-4.

I don't think Marilyn Monroe was far from skinny either...great curves, but not fat! There's images of her working out with weights, she looks pretty good...

Too skinny for me depends a lot on muscle tone. Lean but muscular is appealing to me, but skin and bones with little muscle is not.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    frame size varies, so the weight at which someone looks "too skinny" is going to vary from person to person.

I agree with the above comments re wasted muscles and looking skeletal (some bones can stick out when the person''s totally healthy depending on their bone structure and frame size, but looking like a walking skeleton isn't healthy for anyone)

Yeah, I agree with all of this as well.
  • swhiteism
    swhiteism Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I can't fathom being anything below 125. That's the point where I know for sure that I will absolutely be done with trying to drop a few more pounds.

For others, there's no specific weight. I just hate seeing a person who literally looks like skin and bones. When I see bones protruding, it literally makes me cringe. It's so disturbing! But then again, I had to literally leave class when they showed a documentary on anorexia. I just can't handle looking at that! But it's really not about the weight. I have a friend who's 112 pounds and she looks fantastic. I have another who is about 120 and looks...hungry, to put it nicely. It really just depends on their body type, I guess?
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    What looks too skinny to me is different from other people. I think I could thin out a little more in the lower body whereas some people think I'm thin enough. To be fair, I am quite bony on the top part of my body (hip bones protrude, ribs/spine very visible as soon as I start to bend/stretch) but I am not like that everywhere. I'd hate to think people would call me gross because of that considering I eat quite a bit and that's just where my body seemed to have lost the weight. I'm not underweight either.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    How old are you?
    Is this a school assignment?

:laugh: