Leaving your child at home alone??

Options

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    10 for short trips and 12 for longer

right around this for us too.
    i started hittin the grocery store (close to home) for around an hour, once in awhile when he was 9.

he's 11 now and i do it more and more. my wife isnt quite on-board with it yet, but she thinks 12 is a good age. she knows i do it and is ok with it....just doesnt want to do it herself yet.

he knows the rules, no one in, no one out...no stove/oven...no knives...lol

he's a good kid and is very trustworthy.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    My son turned 10 this year and the only time we leave him alone is when we take the short trip to the store. He knows what he's supposed to do and not supposed to do, he knows the emergency numbers & my cell, he knows not to let anyone inside the house. Still, I freak out when we do it, of course, but sometimes you have to let them prove that they are capable of it.

Same here... although I think it depends on the individual child and their maturity level.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My mom always said it depended on the child. My mom left me and my brother on our own when I was 12 and he was 9 and she left me on my own at that age as well. But my brother would have done something crazy on his own at 12 so it was closer to 14 for him. My sisters are fine together and they are 14 and 10. The older of the two has been completely fine on her own since 12 but the younger will probably be a bit older before she is on her own like my brother.

Also, we had a next door neighbor who was always home if we ever needed anything and now my sisters have me right down the street also. I think knowing neighbors and having people the kids trust somewhere close by is a good factor to consider.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd go by laws or a random number to decide this. I think when you get to that point, you'll know by your childs behavior and responsibility in other situations. If at that time his/her age is above what the law allows do it. If the law says it's okay but you know in your gut they aren't ready, don't let a legislated number decide your life for you. Most laws are limits top or bottom. Add your own common sense and there's no way to tell ahead of time either.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options

right around this for us too.
    i started hittin the grocery store (close to home) for around an hour, once in awhile when he was 9.

he's 11 now and i do it more and more. my wife isnt quite on-board with it yet, but she thinks 12 is a good age. she knows i do it and is ok with it....just doesnt want to do it herself yet.

he knows the rules, no one in, no one out...no stove/oven...no knives...lol

he's a good kid and is very trustworthy.

About the same here.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I think I was like 8-9 when i used to get the bus home and be alone till my mum got home at like 6pm so like 4 ish hours?
    but i was always a very mature child
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    boy was 12, girl was just this past year. She's 11. He's 16 now and she's still more responsible than he is. Also have a 7 yr old girl. Not sure yet on her. Will just wait it out and see.
  • SexKittenlovesitrough
    Options
    i was left home alone by age 8. however, that being said, we lived in a small town with very friendly neighbours who I knew and who were always home should there be trouble.

my parents would also call and check in especially since I was often babysitting 3 younger siblings (2 from 8-10 and then 3 from 10 there on). I was always a very mature child.

My child is also incredibly mature, and stays at home alone. I obey the legal laws for children in my area and I check in. My child also has a cell phone so if there is any distress, just even a little unsure, i can be contacted at any time and I will come home. There are uncles aunts and grandparents who all live within minutes of us and the family dog is always at home.

Had any of those support systems not been in place I don't know that I would have felt comfortable leaving them alone.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    My son is 18. I think he needs more supervision now than he did at 10. Sigh.
  • ChihuahuaLover864
    Options
    My mom had to go back to work when I was 11 and my brothers were in sports. So I was home about 2 hours after school. I will say I lived in a neighborhood with alot of my class mates and friends of my parents in case there was any kind of emergency.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My friend works for CPS and she said it really depends on the child's maturity. Our state does not have minimum age. My 10 and 8 yr old are home for an hour or so after school by themselves, and they have been just fine. DH works 5 mins away and we check in often.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    My son turned 10 this year and the only time we leave him alone is when we take the short trip to the store. He knows what he's supposed to do and not supposed to do, he knows the emergency numbers & my cell, he knows not to let anyone inside the house. Still, I freak out when we do it, of course, but sometimes you have to let them prove that they are capable of it.

Same here... although I think it depends on the individual child and their maturity level.

This right here!

My son was about 10/11, but he was very mature at that age. Now my daughter just turned 12 and I JUST started leaving her alone while I run to the store, etc... Different personalities, maturity levels, etc...
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options

I don't have kinds, but this is the age I was at. But the rule was I wasn't allowed to use the stove. Probably a good rule considering my clumsiness!
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I think my parents started leaving my sister and I alone for short periods of time (ie, a trip to the grocery store, taking one kid somewhere, or occasionally the time between the end of the school day and one parent or the other getting home from work) when I was 8 and my sister was 6 (but my sister had to be with me). However - I was a pretty responsible kid (I was already cooking and doing laundry at that age!), we knew all the neighbors, we had a list of family/friends we could call if anything happened, and we never really got up to much trouble anyway.

That said, it *definitely* depends on the kid. I'd say 10 is probably more usual.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My son is 18. I think he needs more supervision now than he did at 10. Sigh.

I think summertime_girl is kidding. BUT . . . we began to leave my sons home alone when the older one was 11 years, I think. But not for very long. The amount of time we were away slowly got longer for a few years. But then, when kids are about 14 years or 15 years, you have to cut it back again, or maybe not leave them alone at all. Certainly, not overnight -- ever. I don't care if your child is a good kid. Certainly, mine were. But, temptation is temptation and a teenager is not old enough to handle temptation -- not with peer pressure the way it is.
    I definitely remember what happened whenever we found that a friend's parents were away . . .
  • hhansen27
    hhansen27 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that have said it also depends on the maturity of the child.

My oldest I could leave alone at 9 and could even trust him with my youngest who was 3 at the time for short grocery store trips but could not leave the middle child (6) with them. I still have a problem leaving the middle child who is now 10 alone or with the youngest who is now 7. The oldest now 13 does great on his own and with the other two now.

I am happy not to have to pay day care expenses this year during the summertime. :)
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Just this year, and my girls are 10 & 11. I only leave them for very short periods, like a quick trip to the store for milk. The law where I am in California has no age minimum, just that they are "mature" enough to be able to be safe.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    By law kids here can't be left unattended/home alone under the age of 10. BUT, at 10 they can not be in charge of caring for any other siblings. At 12, when they can take the provincial babysitter program, they are then able to care for younger siblings.

My daughter just turned 7, and she is pretty reliable already, so, we will see what comes when she is 10.
  • fallenoaks50
    Options
    My sister and I were 8 and 10 when we were left home alone all day to babysit our younger siblings, 6 and 4. We were too poor to afford babysitters and we lived in the rural Midwest where it wouldn't be as likely to be noticed. Not recommending that, but I suspect it happens quite often.
  • hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on the child. My now 10 year old would be alone for short trips to the store or for me to walk the dog around the block (if she didn't want to come with) when she was about 8. It was never more than 10-15 minutes.

When she was 9, I let her babysit her 1 year old sister for 30 minutes while I went to the store but their dad was working in the backyard so she wasn't really alone and she knew she could get him any second. But I paid her for it and I think it is a great way for her to learn more responsibility. They just played with toys on the floor and watched cartoons. No biggie but I wouldn't have done that without my husband in the backyard.

I let her walk after school about a mile to a kids center but I will not let her walk home and be along a couple hours until I get off work. Plus she has a large group of friends she walks with.