Do you leave your kids alone in the car?

Replies

• PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    My parents left us in the car all the time from the age of around 8 or 10 and up...

However, my personal stand point is a little different.

I wouldn't personally leave a child under the age of 12 in the car, ever.

Over 12, maybe for a quick run into a gas station or such while the car was in sight. But I wouldn't leave a child in a car for more than 5-10 minutes unless they had a license to drive one their selves.

Currently in our state there is only "proposed" laws regarding leaving children in the car, kind of boggles my mind.
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Ok, I seriously have to ask...where are people getting these random age rules from???

EVERY kid is different! Some kids can play with 6+ toys at 4 years old...some adults may still find them to be choking hazards...Some kids are mature enough to be left in a car for 2 minutes at 8 years old...Some adults might start licking the window because they can't stand the pressure of the responsibility.

Look at your child AS THEY ARE NOW and make your judgements. And, unless you see a toddler left in a car alone, don't judge other parents when you don't know anything about their kids.

Geez, people!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    When I was a kid sometimes my dad would leave us in the car to run into the ATM or a convenience store but the doors got locked and we had a password to let him back in. Of course this was the 80's!

How did your dad drive a car with no windows?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Ok, I seriously have to ask...where are people getting these random age rules from???

EVERY kid is different! Some kids can play with 6+ toys at 4 years old...some adults may still find them to be choking hazards...Some kids are mature enough to be left in a car for 2 minutes at 8 years old...Some adults might start licking the window because they can't stand the pressure of the responsibility.

Look at your child AS THEY ARE NOW and make your judgements. And, unless you see a toddler left in a car alone, don't judge other parents when you don't know anything about their kids.

Geez, people!

95.gif
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    You aren't from Florida, are you? Florida is where all of the craziness happens.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :noway:

Check out the Orlando Sentinel for a week or two straight and then ask yourself if you'd leave your kid in the vehicle.

I think not!

That can happen anywhere. Not just Florida. Wow... :noway:

Oh, okay. Your baby is in serious risk anywhere. All the more reason to leave them unattended with freaks circling about like sharks. Because 1 in 1,000,000, right? Well, my kid will NOT be that 1.

Note: There has been a lot of talk around here about the insaneness of Florida, so if you think it was "wow" of me to post the Florida bit, it was in jest. And seriously, check OrlandoSentinel.com, the headlines are outrageous.

K.. *puts on tinfoil hat*

tinfoilhat1170383657.jpg

+1

She should take a look around her. Yet another ignorant statement in the public forums. Go figure.

Uhhhhhhhhh, okay. Take look around me? Sure, hence my bringing up of Florida (Orlando in particular) where the headlines read as:

RAPE
    KIDNAPPING
    MURDER
    CAR JACKING
    Also a shark is off the coast
    MURDER
    ROBBERY

So, a bit paranoid? Yes, totally paranoid. No doubt. Over protective? Completely. Sharks circling around cars?

a·nal·o·gy
    əˈnaləjē/Submit
    noun
    a comparison between two things, typically on the basis of their structure and for the purpose of explanation or clarification.

ex·ag·ger·ate
    igˈzajəˌrāt/Submit
    verb
    past tense: exaggerated; past participle: exaggerated
    represent (something) as being larger, greater, better, or worse than it really is.
    "they were apt to exaggerate any aches and pains"

I was not in any way, shape or form implying that Florida is the only place bad stuff happens at, which if you read
    Note: There has been a lot of talk around here about the insaneness of Florida, so if you think it was "wow" of me to post the Florida bit, it was in jest.
    (not that it doesn't make Florida any less insane)

But, alright. If you want to leave your kid in the car all the more power to you. I certainly am not judging your parenting choices. :-) They are yours and yours alone.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    I definitely remember being left alone in the car as a kid. Nothing ever happened to me...

DISCLAIMER: NEVER on a hot day, and usually not with the car running

Also, your parents rode in cars with no seat belts, drank from the hose, had lead paint toys and they survived..

That's how it went for me too - and always with the window cracked (unless it was winter). I can remember being left in the car numerous times when I was a little younger than 10, but never for very long. Maybe it's because I lived in a very small town that it never seemed to be a problem to my parents...

When I have kids...I'm not sure what I'd do. It would be dependent upon the age and/or maturity level of the child, where I am living, how long I plan to be gone for, and the weather. I really don't see a problem with it unless it's a very young child and/or a really hot summer day.

ETA: Ahh, looks like someone else already beat me to a better worded reply!:

Geez, people!

95.gif
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    There are places where I have felt safe enough to do it, but who knows whether some well meaning person would come along and decide to call the police.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

Geez, people!
    You really think people are going to use common sense?

Your expectations are far too high.
  • sullus
    I would never do it...not in this day and time. No way, no how.
    You do realize that child abductions in 2014 are exactly the same as child abductions in, say, 1970, right? Statistically, it isn't any more likely now (less than 1% of all child abductions are by strangers) than it was when we were kids.

You just hear more about it now.

I feel so sorry for children now. They can't even go outside and play freely for a few hours anymore.

In the US, do you have any idea how many kids a year are abducted by strangers?

About 100. That's it. 100.

Every time I hear an amber alert, and find out it's an aunt or the estranged father or whatever, I shrug and think "nothing to see here"
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    You aren't from Florida, are you? Florida is where all of the craziness happens.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :noway:

Check out the Orlando Sentinel for a week or two straight and then ask yourself if you'd leave your kid in the vehicle.

I think not!

That can happen anywhere. Not just Florida. Wow... :noway:

Oh, okay. Your baby is in serious risk anywhere. All the more reason to leave them unattended with freaks circling about like sharks. Because 1 in 1,000,000, right? Well, my kid will NOT be that 1.

Note: There has been a lot of talk around here about the insaneness of Florida, so if you think it was "wow" of me to post the Florida bit, it was in jest. And seriously, check OrlandoSentinel.com, the headlines are outrageous.

K.. *puts on tinfoil hat*

tinfoilhat1170383657.jpg

+1

She should take a look around her. Yet another ignorant statement in the public forums. Go figure.

Uhhhhhhhhh, okay. Take look around me? Sure, hence my bringing up of Florida (Orlando in particular) where the headlines read as:

RAPE
    KIDNAPPING
    MURDER
    CAR JACKING
    MURDER
    ROBBERY

So, a bit paranoid? Yes, totally paranoid. No doubt. Over protective? Completely. Sharks circling around cars?

a·nal·o·gy
    əˈnaləjē/Submit
    noun
    a comparison between two things, typically on the basis of their structure and for the purpose of explanation or clarification.

ex·ag·ger·ate
    igˈzajəˌrāt/Submit
    verb
    past tense: exaggerated; past participle: exaggerated
    represent (something) as being larger, greater, better, or worse than it really is.
    "they were apt to exaggerate any aches and pains"

I was not in any way, shape or form implying that Florida is the only place bad stuff happens at, which if you read
    Note: There has been a lot of talk around here about the insaneness of Florida, so if you think it was "wow" of me to post the Florida bit, it was in jest.
    (not that it doesn't make Florida any less insane)

But, alright. If you want to leave your kid in the car all the more power to you. I certainly am not judging your parenting choices. :-) They are yours and yours alone.

tina-fey-alec-baldwin-there-there.gif
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    When I was a kid sometimes my dad would leave us in the car to run into the ATM or a convenience store but the doors got locked and we had a password to let him back in. Of course this was the 80's!

How did your dad drive a car with no windows?
    Or keys?
  • bethanymelton
    bethanymelton Posts: 18 Member
    Awesome response!:wink:
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Honestly, I have left them in the car if I just needed to grab one thing but as a general rule I take them with me. I live in a itty bitty town of less than 500 people...if I lived in a bigger city I would never leave them alone.
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    I wouldn't, but my mother in law left my kids in her car once. Last time she was allowed to drive them anywhere. You do not leave somebody elses kids 3 and 4 at the time alone in your car with the keys in the ignition just because they are asleep and you don't want to wake them.
  • sullus

RAPE
    KIDNAPPING
    MURDER
    CAR JACKING
    MURDER
    ROBBERY

Violent Crime rates are at all-time lows in the US.
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    I would never do it...not in this day and time. No way, no how.
    You do realize that child abductions in 2014 are exactly the same as child abductions in, say, 1970, right? Statistically, it isn't any more likely now (less than 1% of all child abductions are by strangers) than it was when we were kids.

You just hear more about it now.

I feel so sorry for children now. They can't even go outside and play freely for a few hours anymore.

In the US, do you have any idea how many kids a year are abducted by strangers?

About 100. That's it. 100.

Every time I hear an amber alert, and find out it's an aunt or the estranged father or whatever, I shrug and think "nothing to see here"

Not to derail the thread or anything, but THIS pisses me off. Children who are abducted by estranged parents don't matter as much? You obviously don't know anything about parental or familial abductions. Some last just as long, or longer, than stranger abductions. Some come with more physical, mental and/or sexual abuse than stranger abductions...and all at the hands of a "trusted" family member.

No one abduction is any less important than another.

Get your facts straight before you make comments like that.

And, PS, this is coming from someone who was abducted by her mother for ten years and had to deal with everything that entailed. But, I guess "nothing to see here."

Stupid word I'll get a strike for saying that rhymes with witch.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    I don't have kids yet and my partner and I don't want to own a car... But when I was a kid my parents sometimes left me in the car to go in a store for a little while. I wouldn't do that with a baby or a toddler, but a child who's old enough can definitely stay in the car alone.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    If you do that in Alberta Canada and someone reports you (and they do) the police come and charge you. Even if you leave before they make it there they go to your home and charge you.

Harsh yes, but effective.
  • dgraboski
    dgraboski Posts: 125 Member
    I have three children my oldest being 15. If I am running into Dunkin Donuts for a coffee and my 15 year old is in the car yes I leave them. If he is not in the car or it's not something that I am running right in and out I will not leave them alone.
  • beernpizza2
    beernpizza2 Posts: 553 Member
    I've left mine in the car if I've forgot something in the house, but that's it. I have a remote start, so I can take the keys, lock them in, and start the car so the heat or ac is on. If I didn't have that option, then I wouldn't do it.