The Laundry Workout

Options

Replies

• Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Disappointed that there's no shake weight in here.
  • Llamedos1960
    Options
    While I don't see myself doing this personally, I think the intention that the OP had was to get people who can't get out, get to a gym, etc. to think about everyday chores as a chance to exercise more. Kudos to that I say!

I agree. I have a problem finding time to exercise and can't afford gym membership. I want to do a bit of strength training so each time I take a toilet break at work I take a few extra minutes to do 10 wall pushups and 10 squats. If I take 5 such breaks in the day, that's 50 squats and 50 wall pushups I'm doing extra every day.

Some might scoff at this but building some sort of exercise into everyday activities is important for those of us who don't have the time or money for regular excursions to the gym.

stop trying to find time for it and it will work better.

MAKE time for it... the rest of us aren't "finding time" time is money right? you rarely FIND hundredsof dollars- you don't FIND time to go pick up your kids.

You make time for those things.

Same with working out- you MAKE time. Start making time and you'll realize there are hundreds of minutes wasted in a day that just need to be re-ogranized into "work out" minutes :D

Yeah! It's dead easy to make the time when you're doing 2 jobs (one full-time, one part-time) and try to keep your home presentable and bringing up a disabled child who demands your attention whenever you are at home! I have enough trouble trying to "find time" to do my second job (working from home) and my housework! Oh yes, then there's the garden to be looked after and the meals planned and the cooking, washing, ironing ...

BTW: It is impossible to MAKE time. There are only 24 hours in the day!

Exercises like these are essential for those of us who cannot spend two hours a day to go to the gym!
    Your attitude does not help those of us who are trying to do our best in adverse circumstances.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Yeah! It's dead easy to make the time when you're doing 2 jobs (one full-time, one part-time) and try to keep your home presentable and bringing up a disabled child who demands your attention whenever you are at home! I have enough trouble trying to "find time" to do my second job (working from home) and my housework! Oh yes, then there's the garden to be looked after and the meals planned and the cooking, washing, ironing ...

Exercises like these are essential for those of us who cannot spend two hours a day to go to the gym!
    Your attitude does not help those of us who are trying to do our best in adverse circumstances.

God. Wow.

I didn't mean INVENT more hours in the day. I mean you organize and MAKE room in your day to do these things- like MAKING time to go to work. MAKE time for your significant other. You don't fricking fabricate it out of thin air. wow. MAKING time to go to your second job. You don't just FIND time for a second job. You organize your life around it.

And a big fat PULEASE. Don't even bother trying to tell me you are busier than I am with your 2 jobs.
    I am not a do nothing all I do is go to work for 8 hrs and then go to the gym person.
    I work 3.5 jobs. (Half job- I sew- I sew projects for myself and other people- but it's not something I just SHOW up for at an office)
    I bulk cook all my own meals
    I maintain a long distance relationship
    I am a dancer- (one of my jobs) which means I'm regularly enrolled in anywhere from 5-8 hrs of dance class a week
    AND I work out.

What does that mean for me? It means I am gone from 7 AM 1130 PM. I get on average 5 hrs of sleep. I sacrifice friends- sleep and whatever else because it's important to me.

My attitude isn't anything to you. It's a matter of fact. Those of us who do this- and work out regularly- we aren't just "finding time" Finding time is great for people who just want to be little more in shape- and be able to walk up and down the stairs without feeling winded. Anyone who wants to change their body seriously and actually TRAIN- doesn't FIND time to do it. Plain and simple. It's not "oh I got my exercise for today" That's nice it's good for you to do that and I approve of it- but the reality is you aren't going to get fit doing it- you are going to stave off being unfit and a step above sedentary by "finding" time.

Clearly your garden is important to you. So instead of going to the gym you garden. It's a priority. I don't care one way or the other. But don't' tell me "you can't find time" to go to the gym. It's just not a priority. That's all it is. It is niether a good thing or a bad thing- it's a very matter of fact thing that people like you take offense at. I don't care if going to the gym is not a priority. I dont' care if dancing is not a priority for you.

It is to me. Both of them. So I make a great deal of sacrifice and build my life around making sure BOTH of those things happen. That's the point.

it's a reality. Either you make time for it- or you just keep saying "oh I need to find time" I've done squats while cooking- why- because for whatever reason I couldn't do something that day.. so I do my workout while I'm cooking. I accept that not EVERY day is the way you planned- and occasionally you have to miss a day or move it back. That's life. It happens. It's not the end of the world... you DO find time to get SOMETHING in- because SOMETHING is better than nothing.

You took offense to it- but it's not offensive- it's a fact- either you make time for the thing to happen because it's important to you- or you do not because it is not important to you. I personally am not affected by this at all- so don't' make your excuses to me- because I quiet plainly do not care- and am unaffected by it. It's your life. Your garden is more of a priority than the gym. Go forth- be a fabulous gardener. Be the best gardener ever. If that's what makes you happy- do that thing and don't make excuses for the things that aren't' important to you- just acknowledge that they are not important and move on.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    By the way- I actually fully support doing random squats where ever I often do mine while I'm cooking.

I find a way to do something where ever I can if I'm feeling so inspired. And I don't honestly begrudge anyone who does that- I do it- SOMETHING > NOTHING

what irks me tremendously is the excuse " can't find time" crap (especially on internet forums- or people who own a TV package and watch DVD's. If you do that crap- you have time- you just chose not to. which again- THAT"S FINE- but stop saying "I can't find time".
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Thank you very much. I am, honestly, taken aback by the rudeness I encountered. I thought these forums were for support and idea sharing , as we are all surely here for the same reasons, but it seems I was wrong. I won't be making any more helpful posts, that's for sure.

If I promise to do this for a week's worth of laundry, will you make me cookies?
    in
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

God. Wow.

I didn't mean INVENT more hours in the day. I mean you organize and MAKE room in your day to do these things- like MAKING time to go to work. MAKE time for your significant other. You don't fricking fabricate it out of thin air. wow. MAKING time to go to your second job. You don't just FIND time for a second job. You organize your life around it.

And a big fat PULEASE. Don't even bother trying to tell me you are busier than I am with your 2 jobs.
    I am not a do nothing all I do is go to work for 8 hrs and then go to the gym person.
    I work 3.5 jobs. (Half job- I sew- I sew projects for myself and other people- but it's not something I just SHOW up for at an office)
    I am a dancer- (one of my jobs) which means I'm regularly enrolled in anywhere from 5-8 hrs of dance class a week
    AND I work out.

What does that mean for me? It means I am gone from 7 AM 1130 PM. I get on average 5 hrs of sleep. I sacrifice friends- sleep and whatever else because it's important to me.

My attitude isn't anything to you. It's a matter of fact. Those of us who do this- and work out regularly- we aren't just "finding time" Finding time is great for people who just want to be little more in shape- and be able to walk up and down the stairs without feeling winded. Anyone who wants to change their body seriously and actually TRAIN- doesn't FIND time to do it. Plain and simple. It's not "oh I got my exercise for today" That's nice it's good for you to do that and I approve of it- but the reality is you aren't going to get fit doing it- you are going to stave off being unfit and a step above sedentary by "finding" time.

Clearly your garden is important to you. So instead of going to the gym you garden. It's a priority. I don't care one way or the other. But don't' tell me "you can't find time" to go to the gym. It's just not a priority. That's all it is. It is niether a good thing or a bad thing- it's a very matter of fact thing that people like you take offense at. I don't care if going to the gym is not a priority. I dont' care if dancing is not a priority for you.

It is to me. Both of them. So I make a great deal of sacrifice and build my life around making sure BOTH of those things happen. That's the point.

it's a reality. Either you make time for it- or you just keep saying "oh I need to find time" I've done squats while cooking- why- because for whatever reason I couldn't do something that day.. so I do my workout while I'm cooking. I accept that not EVERY day is the way you planned- and occasionally you have to miss a day or move it back. That's life. It happens. It's not the end of the world... you DO find time to get SOMETHING in- because SOMETHING is better than nothing.

You took offense to it- but it's not offensive- it's a fact- either you make time for the thing to happen because it's important to you- or you do not because it is not important to you. I personally am not affected by this at all- so don't' make your excuses to me- because I quiet plainly do not care- and am unaffected by it. It's your life. Your garden is more of a priority than the gym. Go forth- be a fabulous gardener. Be the best gardener ever. If that's what makes you happy- do that thing and don't make excuses for the things that aren't' important to you- just acknowledge that they are not important and move on.
    holy wall of text.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    This is awesome
  • JoRocka
    Options
    holy wall of text

yo- I used paragraphs!!!! :D

I do talk to much- I know. I'm guilty... but " i can't find time" is just an awful excuse. I hate it. it drives me bonkers because the issue isn't the time- or finding it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Ogisswat? I tried doing the squats and pushups during my bathroom breaks this morning. I pee'd my pants. Sorry/not sorry. (I got MY workout in!) *flouncesofftobuyfebreze*
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Animated-gif-washing-machine-picture-moving.gif

I can't believe noone asked me about this workout. It's "spinning" in case you were wondering. Advanced move.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    lol are you being serious because that squat form is terrible. enjoy your muscle imbalance
    Actually... her squat form is fine.

Don't see why people hate on this, its a neat little way for busy people to get their exercise in. Would I ever do it? Probably not. Would I bash on people who do? No lol.

The form is fine if you want massive quads and no hamstraings

Wrong. The action of all 3 muscles of the hamstrings is technically antagonistic of the hamstring: flexion of leg, ext. of thigh. Going below parallel does not increase the action on the muscles.

The reason to go below parallel? It actually decreases the force on the knee during the exercise, while increasing muscle development in the knee stabilizers (hamstrings, quads, ab and adductors). Going below parallel also increases muscle development in the hip~specifically the gluteus max.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I might actually finish folding & putting away laundry if I did this. I find the task dull and boring plus the guest room bed makes a really nice clean clothes holding area.
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    armpress1.gif%3Fw%3D640
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Animated-gif-washing-machine-picture-moving.gif

I think i just died a little from laughing :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • JoRocka
    Options
    lol are you being serious because that squat form is terrible. enjoy your muscle imbalance
    Actually... her squat form is fine.

Don't see why people hate on this, its a neat little way for busy people to get their exercise in. Would I ever do it? Probably not. Would I bash on people who do? No lol.

The form is fine if you want massive quads and no hamstraings

Wrong. The action of all 3 muscles of the hamstrings is technically antagonistic of the hamstring: flexion of leg, ext. of thigh. Going below parallel does not increase the action on the muscles.

The reason to go below parallel? It actually decreases the force on the knee during the exercise, while increasing muscle development in the knee stabilizers (hamstrings, quads, ab and adductors). Going below parallel also increases muscle development in the hip~specifically the gluteus max.

don't forget mobility flexibility benefits!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

AND I work out.

Jeez, I was feeling pretty good about myself this morning.... now I just feel 'unworthy.' :wink:

fT8PNBy6Tx-2.png
  • SwedishMel
    SwedishMel Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the laughs everyone. Reading this string was great. :laugh:
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Jeez, I was feeling pretty good about myself this morning.... now I just feel 'unworthy.' :wink:

fT8PNBy6Tx-2.png

don't. I dont' expect anyone to run the life I run.
    I sacrifice a lot- including sleep- which means recovery/gains suffer and I am short tempered and forgetful- but I love doing what I do.
    I think I have a fear of being at home LOL.

I'm not good at "just being" I'm slightly crazy and obsessive- most people's more managable lives is better- I live in a vortex of "constantly****ingbusy' LOL

it takes balance- in all things. I'm sure you are kicking *kitten* just fine!!!

I also can't see your picture- so if there is a joke in there- I'm sorry I'm not going to get it.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    This thread has been great! Makes me feel better to know that others are doing those squats where ever they find a space!

On the more serious side...

I do believe that we have to make a commitment...find a solution to the excuses that got us to this point...even if it is 15, 20, 30 minutes here and there throughout the day. I think that if we do that we will be better able to cope with the rest of our day.