I'm Sexy and I Know It - My First Year of Strength Training

Options
I started 2013 with a simple resolution to pick up a barbell and start making my body as sexy as I could. I had always been overweight and honestly just wanted to not get a telling off every time I went to the doctor.

I had met, both in person and online, a number of women who lifted heavy and really, REALLY wanted to be more like them, so in January last year I signed up for a subsidised course of personal training sessions on a progressive but machine based strength programme.

I also took up IIFYM and a version of TDEE-20% based on a combination of FitBit and HRM readings. Basically, I started eating more protein and around 1900-2000 calories a day, but I tracked absolutely everything.

Even spices.

Even cheat days.

Even nights out boozing.

EVERYTHING.

16 January 2013
Weight - 77.2kg (170lb)
Height - 166cm (5'5.5")
Bust - 106cm (42")
Waist - 88cm (34.5")
Hips - 104cm (41")
BF% - 42.1%
Dress size - UK 16/US 12

yMYKJzll.jpg

On days when I wasn't in the gym doing strength training I would go out for a half hour walk/run session with "Zombies Run 5K" and/or play with "Your Shape" on the Kinect.

By early March, I'd made some good progress.

hRjjTocl.jpg

I was enjoying both until I strained both calves so badly after running that I had to walk on crutches and even standing up without my crutches was agony.

So I went out and bought myself a bench, a barbell and some weight plates (all second hand). To begin with, all I could do was bench press and seated shoulder press until my legs healed enough for me to walk again.

I stuck with it and, even without doing any serious cardio, the weight was still falling off.

By May, I was down to a UK size 12 (US 8) and on 13 June I zipped up a size 10 (US 6) for the first time in my adult life.

u977Jifl.jpg

All the while, I was getting stronger and stronger. I fell in love with the barbell and the things I could do with it. I started StrongLifts at 20kg in April and by August's 1RM test I managed a 85kg squat, 50kg bench and 90kg deadlift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7QQPzzqj8s (Not 85kg, but one of two other PR sets on the way that day.)

I could bore you, but since then it has been eating lots, lifting lots and still losing weight.

My last 1RM test I came out at 90kg squat, 56kg bench (not paused), 90kg deadlift and 45kg OHP. I bleeding love squats and OHP!

Today is my one year anniversary of strength training and this is what I look like now:

gAbo9a6l.jpg
rcgb71ol.jpg

16 January 2014

Weight - 60.7kg (134lb)
Height - 166cm (5'5.5")
Bust - 96.5cm (38")
Waist - 67cm (26.5")
Hips - 94cm (37")
BF% - c.27%
Dress size - UK 8 (US 4)

My husband took up lifting along with me and, even though he hasn't lost weight, his body fat percentage is down about 5% and he's starting to see some definition in his abs. This is despite his day involving first breakfast, second breakfast, lunch, dessert, snack, dinner and another dessert... B*stard!

What I did:

Lifted heavy.
Tracked my intake and TDEE
Ate like a pig - I make room for chocolate, ice cream and most importantly steak.

What I didn't do:

Starve

TL;DR Was always fat. Started lifting and IIFYM. Now size 10s (US 6) are too big other than in high end designer brands and I still eat like a total pig!

P.S. I'm entering my first powerlifting competition in February. I don't expect to win, but I love it!

And I look less like a man than I ever have!

Replies

• brownbeauty2013
    brownbeauty2013 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success!! You look great!! I have been lifting weights consistently for months now and I love the way it makes me feel and you motivate me to keep on pushing!! I wish you luck on the competition!!
  • Carlyannabelle
    Carlyannabelle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! You look incredible! Thanks for sharing your story!
  • thrillho3
    thrillho3 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    awesome! very inspiring!
  • carrysa
    carrysa Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    congratulations!!!..truly inspiring!!!...i myself am starting strength training. havent done any heavy lifing as of yet but its definitely something I want to do once I get more experince with strength training and get in better shape...I have always had a negative image about my body so I am hoping this time I will finally get my dream body!!..CONGRATULATIONS you look fantastic!!...really motivates me!
  • pixie_mills
    pixie_mills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    wow...thats just awesome

I'm kinda a newbie to weights and have just started stage 2 of NROL4W. I have noticed differences too but I feel like such a weakling still...how did you keep motivated?

pix x
  • funkim55
    funkim55 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! You look fantastic!! Thank you for sharing your journey!!! May we all look half as good as you (smile)!!!
  • KB5711
    KB5711 Posts: 21
    Options
    Amazing! You're exactly where I want to be! Love love love heavy lifting!
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Holy *kitten* that's amazing!
  • teerae326
    teerae326 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    That's seriously awesome.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    wow...thats just awesome

I'm kinda a newbie to weights and have just started stage 2 of NROL4W. I have noticed differences too but I feel like such a weakling still...how did you keep motivated?

pix x

It helps that I loved feeling strong from the very first day I took up weights, but focusing on the little wins makes it worth it.

I still work with a trainer sometimes (once a month in person, but he's always available on email) and he said once that only one workout in five will be amazing. One will be a total slog and three will be "meh".

Oh, and having a training buddy (or buddies) who you can have a laugh with really helps. I have my husband and I joined a strength club in my work gym who are amazing support.

I really should have done shout outs for Heather at the Strong for Life club, our trainer Greg, the fabulous sarauk2sf, the inspiring lorinalynn, the gang on NerdFitness and everyone on Eat, Train, Progress... and so many more!
  • timeforsomethingsweet
    Options
    Wow, your story is so inspirational!!! thank you for sharing =D
  • kateauch
    kateauch Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!! I've seen your posts in the forums before and that's AMAZING progress! Congrats!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    look at you ya hottie! looking strong!
  • saimabhaidani
    saimabhaidani Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    beautiful results!! you go girl!
    and oh yeah you look soo much younger too.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Awesomeness! :flowerforyou:
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Another awesome story about a woman becoming SUPA BULKY from lifting heavy. Love this.
  • ejtj1234
    ejtj1234 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    All I can say is WOW!!!!!! You look GREAT!!!!!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Love this! Thanks for sharing.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    beautiful results!! you go girl!
    and oh yeah you look soo much younger too.

Somewhere I have a picture of me at 17 looking older than I do now! It's amazing what healthy living does to you!
  • jessiedell7
    Options
    Wow ! Very inspiring!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!