Surprises when logging ??

Options

Replies

• JayDavila
    JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Quaker instant oatmeal - 1 tiny little package has 14 g of sugar. I'm just thankful they're a last resort breakfast and not something I eat on a regular basis!

Same here, I've logged a few in the last weeks when I have sugar to spare
  • mandalou15
    Options
    A lot of different cereals has surprised me! Sooo much sugar!
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am totally surprised how a salad without meat adds up in calories with added dried cherries and nuts and maybe some feta crumbles and black olives. That is even without dressing. I hate no fat dressing since they are low cal high sugar. I rather make my own dressings with some oils.
  • JayDavila
    Options
    Actually, when I began reading labels what surprised me most was serving sizes and added sodium and sugar. Overall calorie content of processed foods. That goes for good choices eating at restaurants as well.

It was a pretty big eye opener for me.

OH YEA.. you're so right. I was very surprised at what "real" serving sizes were
  • JayDavila
    Options
    A lot of different cereals has surprised me! Sooo much sugar!

Luckily by the time I was starting to eat better I had to give up cereal because of the Lactose
    But yes sugar was a big problem because I would use cereal as a snack craving.
  • JayDavila
    Options
    I am totally surprised how a salad without meat adds up in calories with added dried cherries and nuts and maybe some feta crumbles and black olives. That is even without dressing. I hate no fat dressing since they are low cal high sugar. I rather make my own dressings with some oils.

Yes I've sprinkled shredded cheese on salads and that became a bad move.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    When I got my food scale, I was surprised that a scoop of protein powder was barely 25 grams when the serving is supposed to be 30.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I was surprised by how high in calories sweet potatoes are. I also thought bananas were higher in calories until I started measuring and found out I mostly eat small ones. And I weighed some granola this morning and the portion was so small and it made me sad.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    One Dunkin Donuts munchkin is 80 calories. A gala apple is also 80 calories. A munchkin is maybe 2 bites, 3 if you push it but you could eat it in one bite easily.

Gala apple is MANY BITES and tastes much better
  • strunch
    strunch Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    yeah...the amount of sodium in canned soups blew my mind. Also, when looking at my reports I saw a cholesterol spike one day. I checked my diary for that day and noticed I had a 2 egg omelet. So it's very useful to log everything and look back to analyze...very enlightening.

oh yeah..and I used to think drinking grape juice was healthy..haha. No more for me.
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I've been surprised at a couple times at least.... some of my favorite dishes at my favorite restaurant had like 1700 cals or 2200 calories!!! I was like WOAH!!! So yeah... I've joined the ranks of pre-loggers. It's helping to know and plan what I'm going to eat ahead of time, no surprises when you log it the day before and can adjust accordingly to the "woah" foods!.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Tortillas. 1 large tortilla (like to make a burrito)... 200 calories!!! And that's just the vehicle to get the good stuff in your mouth! It's not like I'm saying, "Mmmmm... this tortilla is soooo good!" So now I use La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious, only 50 for the small tortillas and 80 for the large.
    Also- the amount of salt in things. Holy *kitten*!!!! Like simmer sauces, tikka masala sauce, etc. Put half a jar of a simmer sauce in to make my own version of a curry or meat/veggie simmer.... SOOOO much sodium. :noway:

It's good to be aware of labels now-- I never knew. Now I do.
  • JayDavila
    Options
    When I got my food scale, I was surprised that a scoop of protein powder was barely 25 grams when the serving is supposed to be 30.

WOW thats good to know because I do tons of powder, gonna have to check that
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

WOW thats good to know because I do tons of powder, gonna have to check that

Yeah. Definitely don't want to short change yourself on the protein!
  • JayDavila
    Options
    yeah...the amount of sodium in canned soups blew my mind. Also, when looking at my reports I saw a cholesterol spike one day. I checked my diary for that day and noticed I had a 2 egg omelet. So it's very useful to log everything and look back to analyze...very enlightening.

oh yeah..and I used to think drinking grape juice was healthy..haha. No more for me.

I agree with the egg.. I had to switch to egg whites, that helped big time
  • Shameka808
    Options
    Hello............Thanks for your input on this subject. I am also surprised as to the hidden stuff. I am always over on my sugar intake
    but not enough of everything else. I am trying to look back and see how to cut the sugar. I am not sure what to do. But I do appriciate reading others ppl postings. Any imput would be appreciated.:ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell:
  • JayDavila
    Options
    I've been surprised at a couple times at least.... some of my favorite dishes at my favorite restaurant had like 1700 cals or 2200 calories!!! I was like WOAH!!! So yeah... I've joined the ranks of pre-loggers. It's helping to know and plan what I'm going to eat ahead of time, no surprises when you log it the day before and can adjust accordingly to the "woah" foods!.

Prelogging definitely helps me stay within my goals
  • JayDavila
    Options
    Tortillas. 1 large tortilla (like to make a burrito)... 200 calories!!! And that's just the vehicle to get the good stuff in your mouth! It's not like I'm saying, "Mmmmm... this tortilla is soooo good!" So now I use La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious, only 50 for the small tortillas and 80 for the large.
    Also- the amount of salt in things. Holy *kitten*!!!! Like simmer sauces, tikka masala sauce, etc. Put half a jar of a simmer sauce in to make my own version of a curry or meat/veggie simmer.... SOOOO much sodium. :noway:

It's good to be aware of labels now-- I never knew. Now I do.

I've started to get rid of the tortillas and just use romaine hearts lettuce leafs, that way I can enjoy more of the other/items inside LOL
  • JayDavila
    Options
    Hello............Thanks for your input on this subject. I am also surprised as to the hidden stuff. I am always over on my sugar intake
    but not enough of everything else. I am trying to look back and see how to cut the sugar. I am not sure what to do. But I do appriciate reading others ppl postings. Any imput would be appreciated.:ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell:

Message me some examples of your sugar problems and I can maybe send you over some alternatives, Feel free to add me as a friend as well
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    CARBS in everything! and the sodium omfg. Mind blowing.