CNN article: 10 Reasons To Give Up Diet Soda

Options
12346»

Replies

• Jacobedward02
    Options
    Diet soda is responsible for health conditions such as cancer and premature births.

http://www.belmarrahealth.com/cancer/addicted-to-diet-soda-eu-food-safety-body-says-no-new-risk-from-aspertame/
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm intolerant to aspartame and stopped drinking diet drink when they phased out saccharine and they all started to contain aspartame instead :sad:

It would be really nice to be able to drink sweet drinks with almost no calories in them.............. but it's not to be. Thankfully my favourite drink (Earl Grey tea, black, no sugar) has a negligible amount of calories in it, so that kind of makes up for it.

Just because *SOME PEOPLE* get ill when they eat a particular food, doesn't mean nobody should eat it. My cousin once had a German shepherd dog that was intolerant to meat and its favourite food was lettuce sandwiches, but that doesn't mean meat is dangerous to carnivorous and omnivorous mammals in general and that they should all give up meat and eat lettuce sandwiches instead....
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    It confuses your body

Perhaps, if you are drinking 2L of the stuff a day. Yo-yo dieting will confuse your body more.
    It could lead to weight gain, not weight loss

One of the explanations for this is that people who drink diet soda have a tendency to overeat afterwards, because of the 'I've been good by drinking diet soda, now I deserve a treat' effect.
    It's associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes

Again, this is because of what else is being eaten in the diet and not a result of the ingredients in diet soda. The researchers themselves state "overconsumption of other foods/beverages may also occur in conjunction with diet beverage consumption owing to overestimation of the number of calories saved by substituting diet beverages for sugar-sweetened beverages"
    http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/4/688.full.pdf+html
    It has no nutritional value

Neither does normal soda.
    Its sweetener is linked to headaches ( aspartame )

For people sensitive to aspartame then yes, this can be a problem. But excess sugar from normal soda can also cause headaches. If you don't get headaches from drinking diet soda then this isn't a problem for you.
    It'll ruin your smile over time

As will drinking coke, coffee, tea if you have poor oral hygiene. Diet soda in itself will not ruin your smile.
    It makes drinking more dangerous (Using diet soda as a low-calorie cocktail mixer has the dangerous effect of getting you drunk faster )

This is bullsh*t. The only reason you could get drunk faster would be because of the fizzy bubbles, which are no worse in diet soda than in normal soda, and if your drink of choice is sparkling wine or beer then you get exactly the same effect from these drinks.
    It's associated with depression

SODA is associated with depression, as this article states, not specifically diet soda. One explanation for this is that the studies showing links haven't controlled for BMI, weight loss activity or even weight, so nobody has yet proved that diet soda or even soda CAUSES depression.
    It may be bad for your bones - (Women over 60 are already at a greater risk for osteoporosis than men, and Tufts University researchers found that drinking soda, including diet soda, compounds the problem. )

This study from Tufts University showed a link between the phosphoric acid and caffeine content of cola drinks and bone loss. It showed a weaker correlation between diet soda cola drinks and normal cola soda drinks, which didn't reach the level of statistical significance (e.g. was not <0.05%). Cola was the main culprit here, not diet drinks and not even diet cola drinks. http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/84/4/936.full.pdf+html
    It may hurt your heart - (Just one diet soft drink a day could boost your risk of having a vascular event such as stroke, heart attack, or vascular death, according to researchers from the University of Miami and Columbia University)

This is the only study that has found this result and the researchers themselves state "Further research is needed before any conclusions can be made regarding the potential health consequences of diet soft drink consumption." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22282311
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Oh yeah, lets give a BLOG a cute little important sounding name and every one believe it. RME

Funny thing is, most people refuse to believe all that crap is bad for you until something bad happens to them.

I have an auto immune disease, if I drink a diet soda my pain levels go from a 3 to an 8. No one can convince me that that crap is not bad for you when it gives me pain.

But of course if all you people are worried about is the way you look, carry on.

I don't drink diet soda because I don't like the taste but if your immune disease is being affected by diet soda it does not mean that it is unsafe for others. If this was the case, no one should be eating any nuts, berries, meat, fruit or vegetables. Each type of food does create a reaction in a few people.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I think I'll go with those giving up CNN instead.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Yes! - ^this
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is responsible for health conditions such as cancer and premature births.

http://www.belmarrahealth.com/cancer/addicted-to-diet-soda-eu-food-safety-body-says-no-new-risk-from-aspertame/
    Lol, funny but the link you posted states the opposite.

"Additionally, the current study also ruled out the potential risk of aspartame causing damage to genes or causing cancer. Furthermore, it was found that aspartame poses no risk to a developing fetus. The findings from the current research suggest that consuming aspartame at levels within the recommended ADI poses no significant risks to healthy adults or children."

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • snappled
    Options
    delicious_coc

You must really like soda
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Its sweetener is linked to headaches ( aspartame )
    So are children.

And shopping at Walmart.... LOL

And Husbands
    And work
    And not drinking diet coke (caffeine headache)
    And a lot of other things

correlation does not equal causation

*sips diet drink*
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    delicious_coc

You must really like soda

I really like truth. I really like facts. And I really dislike fearmongering and misrepresentation.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Diet soda is nasty because the aspartame makes it taste fake.

Regular soda is nasty because it's sooooo sickly sweet. The only time I will ever drink regular soda is when I have an upset stomach and I'm out somewhere and I think of it.

I stick to seltzer water if I want something carbonated.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I won't be drinking it in excess, but I won't be giving it up, either.

this.